Diablotin 2 session 13

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 13 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Solos


[Narrator] Anyone have any questions before we start? [Sanadhil] (how much time has passed?) [Narrator] A week or so? [Narrator] As the end of Sixth-month draws near, the summer storms grow more frequent and more volatile. Still, at least it keeps the heat slightly less stifling and the smells slightly less noxious! [Narrator] Altheo, since the incident last week, there have been no further disturbances at the Boar; however, Roene also hasn’t returned, which is rather worrisome. [Narrator] In the course of your inquiries about the pair who attacked your establishment and the mysterious ‘Sharp-ears’, you have uncovered a few details.

  • Altheo will pay out for a second bouncer now.

[Narrator] (You have two - you can pay out for a third if you want ;) [Altheo] (well, I'm assuming the work different shifts. I mean I want two guys on shift at a time.) [Narrator] (okay - so you really need two extras) [Altheo] (Yes please.) [Narrator] ('k) [Altheo] (At least for a little while)

  • Narrator nods

[Narrator] The man and woman who paid you a visit seem to match descriptions of a pair of enforcers and generally all-purpose thugs called Stitchback and Flicker, formerly in the employ of Achaea Moncaire, ‘Aunt Acha’, one of the minor crime bosses of Pearl City. [Narrator] Aunt Acha met with an unfortunate end a few months back, and apparently her employees have found new work... [Narrator] They used to work with another woman called Goldie (on account of her several gold teeth) but you don't know if she's involved in this - you didn't see her that day, at any rate, and she's apparently fairly hard to miss, being hugely tall and having several gold teeth. [Narrator] You catch a few rumours about Sharp-ears, who seems to be an up-and-coming figure in the underworld. He is said to be a half-elf spellcaster, peculiar-looking and possibly mentally unbalanced. [Narrator] Pairing that with the apparent connection to Roene, you can’t help but think of Sanadhil... Could this Sharp-ears be *him*? You don’t know him that well, after all... [Altheo] (Someone might need a pistol whipping) [Narrator] (skipping over to San for a minute, then ;) [Narrator] Sanadhil, you are considering paying Roene a visit – naturally you didn’t partake of her, ah, services when you were under the weather, so to speak, and with one thing and another it’s been close to a month since you last saw her. You're overdue :p [Narrator] And so you make your way to the Rutting Boar in Pearl City one rainy afternoon when you imagine it will probably be fairly quiet. [Narrator] It is indeed subdued, and the mood seems less cheerful than usual. Marissa is at the bar, and a few of the girls are sitting about, talking quietly amongst themselves. Prosper, one of the bouncers, looks up warily when you enter, and there's a new bouncer you haven't seen before as well.

  • Sanadhil wonders what this is all about...
  • Sanadhil will go over to speak with marissa, since I'm assuming Roene is not in evidence

[Narrator] That would be correct.

  • Marissa looks a bit distracted.

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon...

  • Sanadhil looks around, gauging the mood of the place and frowning a little

[Marissa] Hello. [Sanadhil] Sorry... I was just wondering if Roene is available. [Marissa] Were you, now. [Marissa] Come this way. [Sanadhil] what?

  • Marissa waves her cane off in the direction of Altheo's office.

[Sanadhil] hmmm....

  • Sanadhil will head that way then, wondering what is going on
  • Marissa escorts you into Altheo's office, following you in.

[Marissa] Boss ... look who showed up. [Sanadhil] Mr. Renaud? What's going on here? [Altheo] Ah Sanadhil, come in, come in!

  • Altheo waves you to a chair.
  • Sanadhil sounds mildly displeased.
  • Marissa will stick around, if only to make sure that Altheo doesn't screw this up.

[Sanadhil] ...thank you.

  • Sanadhil sits

[Altheo] We have a bit of a situation it seems. [Sanadhil] ....do 'we'? [Altheo] well yes. [Altheo] I'm afraid a couple of thugs, including one that used magic, attacked the Boar recently.

  • Altheo sounds friendly.
  • Sanadhil is going to SM you anyway

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry to here that - what does that have to do with me? [Altheo] I think you may have noticed you didn't get the kind of reception we pride ourselves on. And for that I appologize. [Sanadhil] Indeed. [Altheo] The reason for that is simple. Our initial investigation shows that the people who attacked me are now workig for an up and coming Half-elven man. And they were after Roene. [Sanadhil] (22 on sm, btw) [Altheo] (21 on the bluff) [Sanadhil] (well then - tell me how you really feel? ;p) [Sanadhil] .. [Altheo] (I am watching you very carefully, trying to pick up any clues.)

  • Sanadhil does not have anything to hide

[Altheo] Now I'm a jovial kind of man, so I hope you don't take offense that some of my employees may have jumped to conclusions. [Altheo] But the timing on this seems very strange. [Altheo] I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with this. [Altheo] ? [Sanadhil] I see. [Sanadhil] First of all - I can assure you that I had nothing to do with the attack on your establishment. I'm not in the habit of hiring thugs, and I had found my arrangement here quite satisfactory. [Sanadhil] If you know anything about the activities of other half-elven men in the city, you are much better informed than I. [Altheo] (Altheo will SM that.) [Sanadhil] (go ahead - oh look, I'm not lying ;p) [Altheo] (but how do you feel about my sort of accusation?) [Sanadhil] (sec) [Sanadhil] (sort of miffed) [Altheo] Well, I'm very glad to hear it. [Altheo] The information I got said that the half-elf responsible was fairly unhinged. [Altheo] But you've never seemed that way to me.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Altheo] Now that that unfortunate business is out of the way. I was wondering if you might help me get her back? [Altheo] I need someone who is good with magic. [Altheo] And I'm afraid I'm not quite wealthy enough to keep one in my employ. [Sanadhil] ... [Sanadhil] What sort of magic do you need? [Altheo] Well, she seemed to be able to cause a flash of light that blinded people, put people to sleep, that sort of thing. And I like to fight fire with fire.

  • Sanadhil thinks about what spells those could be - sleep clearly...

[Sanadhil] (is that spellcraft or K:arcana?) [Narrator] spellcraft [Altheo] Also, I'm under the impression that people trained in magic are often better at resisting their effects. [Sanadhil] (23) [Sanadhil] It can be true, certainly. [Altheo] Also, the Half-elf population in this city can't be huge. I'm sure you'd be invaluable to the endeavour. [Sanadhil] Before this conversation, I only knew of one other. [Narrator] Flare, maybe? or possibly something like Glitterdust... Not very high-level, it doesn't sound like to you. [Narrator] Color spray is another possibility. [Altheo] Who? [Sanadhil] An actress [Altheo] Whats she like? [Sanadhil] I don't know her well.

  • Altheo nods.

[Sanadhil] She has lived here all her life, though. [Altheo] Well, if the population is that small, I'm sure with your help we could find this person easily. [Altheo] You see, during the attack, Roene ran away. Quite understandably. [Altheo] But she hasn't returned. [Altheo] I'm worried she was taken before she could get back to us. [Sanadhil] Perhaps she simly believes she is better off on her own. [Altheo] Perhaps. [Altheo] But I need to know either way. [Altheo] Can I count you in? [Marissa] She left all her stuff here.

  • Altheo says with a winning smile.

[Marissa] That doesn't sound like someone who is just better off on her own. [Sanadhil] I am of course concerned for her... [Altheo] I'm glad to hear it. [Altheo] Thank you Sanadhil. [Altheo] I think this situation will work out well for all of us.

  • Sanadhil raises his eyebrows

[Sanadhil] . o ( I never actually said yes :p )

  • Altheo is totally acting like you just said yes.

[Sanadhil] (I know you are) [Sanadhil] That wasn't my consent. Mr. Renaud [Altheo] oh?

  • Altheo seems a bit taken aback.

[Altheo] Well then. How may I procure your consent?

  • Sanadhil doesn't seem impressed.

[Sanadhil] This is really not a seemly business for someone in my position to be geting involved in. [Altheo] I know. [Altheo] But it could be worse for you reputation to have a half-deranged halfelf sorcerer kidnapping people around the city. [Sanadhil] I need to consider what good I can even be to you - you have told me less than you know about the circumstances, I am sure. [Altheo] Well, I'm certainly willing to give you all th details if I dont' think it would be a waste of both our times. [Sanadhil] that would be difficult to guage without them, wouldn't it. [Altheo] I mean, if its your reputation that your worried about, its far more damaging to you to have this man continue his dealings, than it would be for you to be known as a man who helped out a woman in need. [Altheo] Well, The half-elf evidently is known as "Sharp-ears" in the circles he runs in. [Sanadhil] I like to think that those to whom my reputation is essential would be less quick to associate me with base thuggery. [Altheo] And the two people that attacked me used to be in the employ of another minor crime-boss until she recently died.

  • Sanadhil says flatly

[Altheo] I hope so to. [Altheo] But like you said, there are very few Half-elves in this city. [Sanadhil] One might think that wold make it easier to tell us apart.

  • Altheo laughs a genuine laugh at that.

[Altheo] You would think, but thats hardly the case. [Altheo] people make wide casting assumptions about other humans, simply based on where they live.

  • Sanadhil gives a small frustrated sigh.

[Sanadhil] yes, I am aware. [Altheo] This helps both of us. And I will be greatful. [Sanadhil] I cna't guarantee that I will be of much use to you. [Altheo] All I ask is that you try your best. [Sanadhil] . o ( patronizing jerk ) [Sanadhil] what are you planning/ [Altheo] Well, I could start by writing up all the information I can gather on the female mage known as Flicker. Maybe your resources at the Castilia can turn up more. I'd also like to go with you and look into Half-elves in this city. [Altheo] If there are very few of them, together I hope we can track this "Sharp-ears" down. [Altheo] Also, any advice or help you could provide in defending from that kind of magic would be wonderful. [Sanadhil] what makes you think he will be easier to find than any other thug who doesn't want to be found? [Altheo] Because his race is something that makes him stand out. And he's trying to move up in the scheme of things, so he can't be lying too low. [Altheo] And Sorceress' that do this kind of work are also rare. [Sanadhil] I'll see if I can learn anything, but if this flicker was at the castalia, I doubt it was for very long. [Altheo] Your probably right. [Altheo] But I'm glad for your help. [Altheo] I really am. [Sanadhil] (sm ;) [Sanadhil] (only an 11 this time though) [Altheo] (He seems sincere) [Altheo] (But more of a: Since your helping me I don't have to worry about you being a suspect. Kind of thing.) [Altheo] (Like: "Ok good, I'm sincerely glad your not the guy that did this.) [Sanadhil] (hee) [Sanadhil] (gotcha - we can probably call it there then?) [Narrator] (okay, I'll move on now..) [Altheo] (yep.)

  • Sanadhil will not see any of the other girsl thogh :p

[Altheo] (After Sanadhil leaves I'll get Marissa to price out how much it would cost to have someone decent shadow San.) [Narrator] (hahah) [Altheo] (you don't have to tell me yet though.) [Narrator] ('k)


[Narrator] Seth, I presume you are delivering Ilphere's message to Menard? [Seth] (sure) [Narrator] Ilphere, Menard sends you a message by way of Seth. [Ilphere] (coo') [Narrator] It reads: "My dear, I was so happy to receive your message. I will be in the library at the Castalia on the afternoon of the 28th, if you are able to meet me there. I long to see you again, even if we cannot be alone together." [Narrator] It is unsigned, of course, but you recognize his hand. [Ilphere] . o O ( yay! ) [Narrator] You also receive another message, a now-familiar black envelope which you are once again fortunate enough to intercept before your parents see it and start asking awkward questions...! [Narrator] The next meeting of the Order of the Black Down will take place a few days hence, in the house on Starcross Street that you visited once before. [Narrator] But before that, you have your secret meeting with Menard. [Ilphere] (my secret public meeting :V) [Narrator] yes, that ;) [Narrator] You make your way to the library on the designated day. Out of habit, you glance over to see if Coco is at her desk, and see that she is.

  • Ilphere will try to dress prettily, but not so conspicuously as to look out of place at the Castalia...
  • Ilphere smiles and gives her a little wave.
  • Coco smiles to see you.

[Ilphere] Hello...! :) [Coco] Ilphere, how are you doing? [Ilphere] Oh, quite well thank you...! [Ilphere] And yourself...? [Coco] Oh, busy as usual.

  • Ilphere nods agreeably...

[Coco] Are you looking for anything particular today? [Ilphere] Well I have been doing a little side research, I'm not sure yet whether it is related or not... but I haven't had much luck so I'll probably be back in the usual section...! [Coco] All right. Good luck :) [Ilphere] See you later...!

  • Coco waves goodbye.
  • Ilphere retreats to her usual spot
  • Dominik meanders slowly behind Ilphere, offers Coco a bored smile, picks a spot away from her to read and watch for people disturbing the planned meeting
  • Menard is sort of idly browsing along the stacks when you spot him.
  • Ilphere will approach with a smile, trying not to look tii eager.. ;)
  • Menard moves as if to embrace you, but stops himself and holds out a hand instead.

[Ilphere] (too -_-) [Menard] Ilphere, it's good to see you. [Ilphere] It is wonderful to see you as well...! [Menard] Are you well? [Ilphere] Yes, quite...! How have you been! [Menard] I'm all right...

  • Ilphere will take his hand but isn't sure if she's supposed to shake it or what?
  • Menard seems happy to see you, and yet sombre at the same time.
  • Menard will just hold your hand for a few moments.

[Ilphere] Has something happened?

  • Ilphere furrows her brow with concern.

[Menard] I have some news. Not good, I’m afraid. [Ilphere] Oh no... [Ilphere] What is it? [Menard] My brother is giving me a month to make up my mind between them. My betrothal will be announced at the end of Seventh-month, one way or the other. [Ilphere] Oh... I see... [Menard] How are things with you and, ah, the count? [Ilphere] I have only met him the once, so far.

  • Menard nods.
  • Ilphere sighs glumly and looks over at the books on the nearby shelf.
  • Menard looks miserable.

[Menard] There must be *something* we can do. [Ilphere] Nothing comes to mind... :( [Ilphere] . o O ( Except feeding him to the Arch ) [Ilphere] I just... I do not know.

  • Menard clenches his fists in frustration.

[Ilphere] Your brother... if only we had some way to influence him... [Ilphere] But it is hopeless... ! [Menard] My grandfather might have some influence over him still... [Menard] I don't know. [Menard] Marl is not the head of our family, after all. [Ilphere] Your grandfather? [Ilphere] (who is that?) [Narrator] (Leonien Kizer, Duke of Friaul) [Ilphere] (any chance he's good friends with my grandmother? :/) [Narrator] (they certainly would know each other - they're of similar generation, though she's older than him) [Ilphere] Do you think he would help you in this...? [Ilphere] (but not like bffs or anything) [Menard] I don't really know. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. [Narrator] (not that you know of, no) [Ilphere] (note to self, ask her about Leo later)

  • Ilphere nods.

[Menard] I'm not giving up hope yet. [Ilphere] No, of course not...!

  • Ilphere smiles bravely!

[Menard] Good :) [Menard] I love you, Ilphere. [Ilphere] Oh, Menard...! [Ilphere] This is all so crazy...

  • Menard nods.

[Menard] I'll try to see you again as soon as possible. I'll send word by Seth, too. [Ilphere] I hope it will be very soon... [Ilphere] And that your grandfather can help you... help us..! [Menard] I hope so too.

  • Menard squeezes your hand.
  • Ilphere squeezes back...

[Menard] I should be going.... :/ [Ilphere] So soon...? [Menard] Oh, well - I should probably pick out a book to take back with me, so no one's suspicious. [Menard] Maybe you could help me find something interesting? :) [Ilphere] Oh... Yes of course...!

  • Menard will gladly browse for books with you, then.
  • Ilphere will pick out something interesting but (hopefully) not too threatening from her favourites on interplanar whatnots!

[Menard] (lol)


[Narrator] Alma, following Biatrix’s startling revelations, you have been conducting some research into what she calls ‘The Seventh’. [Narrator] It is comparatively easy to learn that during the reign of Empress Tigranne, around 1450, a group of about two dozen individuals approached the then-Matriarch Selvestra, claiming to have been returned to the world a seventh time to work the will of the gods. [Narrator] All of them were executed for heresy. [Alma] D: [Narrator] You are also able to learn that, early in her tenure as Matriarch, Pasith Belden quietly issued a retroactive pardon for them, which is suggestive, but doesn’t illuminate matters fully. [Alma] .oO( It is a strange thing to do... ) [Narrator] You cannot help but be reminded of the famous quote from the Blade of Reason – ‘Fall six times, stand up seven.’ The church teaches that this means we will pass through six lives, only to ‘stand up’ in the Centre, but... what if they are wrong? [Alma] .oO( And so early on? Why bother with such a thing? ) [Narrator] You also vaguely recall something about that girl, Lora, that Professor Grenrake took in, who is supposed to remember all of her past lives, and wonder if she might have anything to do with this. [Alma] (Because Matthew is too retarded to remember her himself.) [Alma] (I totally want to touch her stuff.) [Alma] (I forgot that completely) [Narrator] As for Biatrix’s mother, her name was Eza Arguelles, wife of Xavery Arguelles, who was the youngest son of the Warlord at the time. Together they had three children, of whom Biatrix is the youngest. [Narrator] Eza’s maiden name is recorded as Nord – certainly not a noble surname, nor indeed one you’ve ever heard before. You are unable to learn anything about her parents or lineage (except that she must presumably have been House Owl) or how she met and married the Warlord’s son, but their marriage seems to have been a happy one [Narrator] About forty years ago, or when her youngest daughter was around twenty, she died in a hunting accident (she was an avid hunter by all accounts) at the family’s country estate, and was buried there. [Narrator] That's what you've been able to discover so far, at least. [Narrator] Meanwhile, there is the interesting matter that M. Argo raised concering the Greysmoke Temple... [Narrator] Seth has asked if you would accompany him there, hopefully to examine the mysterious arms that are part of the frieze above the atrium. [Narrator] (you can talk amongst yourselves for a little bit if you like before you get there) [Alma] (Do we want to just assume Alma got all excited when she found out she could talk to houses but we didn't have time to talk because ... it was past her bedtime? :P) [Narrator] (sure :) [Narrator] (Maybe other people swept Seth away to discuss his fascinating talk.) [Seth] (sure sounds good) [Narrator] (it was the word 'fascinating' that sold you, wasn't it)

  • Seth stayed up all night thinking of puns involving the word 'arms'.
  • Alma slept a good night's sleep... and promptly learned that six owners ago, her house was inherited!

[Alma] I'm a little excited, I must admit. [Seth] Well, that is only natural, I would think. [Seth] I'm quite exhilarated myself. [Alma] I did mention that I can only examine the arms once a day? Well, perhaps once for each arm. [Seth] Yes, I understand. [Alma] Depending on what we learn, it may not take much motivation to visit again :)

  • Seth will spend the walk over from the Society to the Temple recounting the history of various uninteresting buildings.

[Seth] Hopefully we'll be allowed to have access. [Alma] I should imagine there'll be no problem unless there's a ceremony today. [Seth] I've been thinking a lot about that, and it might be more complicated. [Alma] Oh? [Seth] Well, think about it. [Seth] Let's assume that my hypothesis is correct, and the giant Schesutte was at the Greysmoke temple. [Seth] What if it is still there? Not just the arms, I mean. [Alma] I suppose that if there is reason to keep the construct hidden... [Seth] If someone still knows it is there, they wouldn't want just anyone having that knowledge. [Seth] Especially if the amulet is in the temple's treasury. [Alma] The most effective guard is the one no one knows is there. [Seth] Exactly my thought.

  • Alma looks a little discouraged.

[Seth] Well, here we are. [Alma] What will you do if we do get to see the arms, and that happens to be the case? [Seth] I don't know. [Narrator] Alma, from what you know of Greysmoke, it's a large and ornate temple, and tends to attract worshippers of higher social class than Nine Elms. The head priest there is also the Reverend Sister for the Haven of Rhenea, Reverend Sister Teverya Deanda of the Order of the Owl. [Narrator] You have met her a few times, though you don't know her tremendously well. From what you know, she is quite orthodox in her beliefs and traditional in her position. [Narrator] The Greysmoke Temple is an imposing structure, dominating an entire side of the square onto which it faces. Its dome is a mottled copper-green, its walls made of sleek grey stone.

  • Seth will resist the temptation to talk about temple roof construction.
  • Alma smiles at its majesty.
  • Alma will lead the way into the temple, to the appropriate chambers.

[Narrator] The frieze above the atrium is remarkable - a representation of the six gods in their animal forms looking down at you puny mortals below.

  • Alma looks to see where the arms are, not sure she's noticed them before.
  • Seth goes over to inspect the scene closely once again

[Narrator] You look for the arms, and find them fairly easily - turning around to face the door you just entered by and looking up, you can spot them, curved almost as though cradling something. [Alma] (Do they appear to have any meaning in the design of the room, beyond that?) [Narrator] They do look sort of out-of-place to your eye, Alma. [Alma] They don't really seem to belong, do they?

  • Alma looks back up at the Six to confirm no solid connection with the arms.

[Seth] No, they don't. [Seth] Not to the trained eye, at least.

  • Teverya enters the atrium and notices you there, so comes over toward you.

[Teverya] Good day, Sister. [Alma] Good day, Reverend Sister :)

  • Teverya greets you politely, but without real warmth.
  • Teverya is a thin woman in her late forties with a somewhat pinched and sour expression.

[Teverya] What brings you here?

  • Alma will bow or whichever is appropriate.
  • Seth will step aside and let Alma handle the niceties.

[Alma] My acquaintance and I, Mr. Seth Argo, a scholar, have come to visit the Temple today. Mr. Argo is a historian and has some interesting theories about the Great Constructs. [Seth] Hello, pleased to meet you, Reverend Sister.

  • Teverya nods politely to you.

[Teverya] I'm afraid I know very little about the Constructs, I doubt I can be of much help to you. [Alma] We would like to know if we might have to opportunity to explore one of those theories. Seth?

  • Alma will turn it over to him unless he looks like he's going to eat his face in anxiety or something.

[Seth] Ah, yes. Well, you see, ah, we are interested in inspecting, briefly and non-invasively, the pair of stone arms that sit on the frieze over there.

  • Teverya glances up.

[Teverya] I see... [Teverya] For what purpose? WHat do you hope to learn from this? [Seth] It is our hope to test the hypothesis that those arms belonged to one of the Great Constructs. [Teverya] So far as I know, they have been there since the Temple was built. [Alma] (DM 20, did she just look up reflexively? If I can tell) [Narrator] (you think she was just looking up at the arms - she obviously knows they're there) [Alma] (It's not like she works here or anything :V) [Narrator] (indeed) [Seth] Yes ... well, my speculation in part is based on the fact that this temple was built around the same time that the Great Construct Schesutte disappeared. [Seth] The evidence is, of course, substantially more solid than idle speculation. [Teverya] I see. [Alma] We were hoping we might be able to learn something from them that might indicate that isn't just a coincidence. I might be able to determine something about the arm's owners in the past. [Teverya] How do you propose to examine them? [Seth] My colleague hopes to use divinatory magic upon them, which requires that she touch them for a short period of time. [Teverya] I could not, of course, allow any procedures that might damage them. [Alma] Certainly not. [Seth] Of course not.

  • Alma nods at what Seth says.

[Seth] (SM on her - is she concealing anything from us?) [Seth] (21) [Narrator] (you think she seems wary, but you don't perceive that she is trying to hide anything from you) [Alma] I know antiquities can be quite fragile. I can even wear a thin glove to touch the arms. [Teverya] ...Very well. [Teverya] I will accompany you, just to ensure everything is all right. [Alma] Thank you Reverend Sister :) [Seth] Yes, thank you!

  • Seth brightens considerably.

[Alma] (Are we able to go today, or do we have to come back wiht scaffolding?)

  • Teverya will pray for a moment, and then cast fly on the three of you.

[Teverya] (yay travel domain) [Alma] (Wee!) [Alma] (I get that ... well in about a couple hours!) [Alma] ( * Alma is so pleased to get to touch the arms she levels, and flies up to them! ) [Alma] Oh, this certainly simplifies how we get up there :) [Seth] Uh ... how remarkable.

  • Alma will prepare herself mentally to examine the arms.

[Narrator] You drift smoothly up to where the arms repose. [Narrator] The arms seem much more massive from this close, and you can see that they are jointed at the elbow and wrist, as though intended to be mobile. They are also slightly dusty. [Narrator] Carved into the wall, at the juncture where the hands are cupped, is a small figure - a rat. It is certainly not visible from the floor level.

  • Alma looks at it closely.

[Seth] :o [Alma] Look at that... [Teverya] How strange.

  • Alma looks to see if the Reverend Sister had seen it before.

[Seth] Remarkable. Utterly incredible.

  • Seth pulls out a sketchpad and starts drawing.

[Alma] (So, unseen from the floor, the hands are holding the rat up to the other gods?) [Narrator] (well, holding it, anyway.) [Narrator] (yes)

  • Teverya seems surprised by it, Alma.
  • Alma will cast Guidance and reach out to touch one of the arms very lightly.
  • Alma will seek to find out how the previous owner gained and lost the item. (DC 17)

[Narrator] (okay, roll away) [Alma] (Just made it) [Narrator] The previous owner inherited the arm from its predecessor, and lost it by destruction. [Alma] (Destruction of owner?) [Narrator] (destruction of item) [Alma] (I'm not retarded that it seems a little puzzling ?)

  • Alma will reach out to touch the other arm.

[Narrator] (it might be a similar result to if you touched, say, a broken piece of pottery or something?) [Alma] (Yeah, if they stopped believing it to be their property because it was broken.) [Narrator] (right, or discarded it or whatever)

  • Alma will cast Guidance again, and then check for the race of the previous owner, as well as how the current gained and lost the item.

[Alma] (DC 18) [Alma] (Succeed after spending destiny. I'm not looking like a goof while the Reverend Sister is floating over my shoulder.) [Narrator] (hee) [Narrator] Previous owner was human. The current owner gained the item by retrieving it from where it was abandoned.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] I'm finished.

  • Teverya looks somewhat bemused.

[Teverya] All right. Did you learn anything? [Alma] I did.

  • Alma looks down briefly, but will continue.
  • Seth waits anxiously!
  • Teverya ends the spell, then, once you're safely down.

[Alma] The arms were inherited from the predecessor of the previous owner, but that object was destroyed, and ownership passed on to some one who retrieved the arms from where they lay. [Alma] It does fit, in a sense, with your theory, Seth, if the construct was inherited with the office, and then the destroyed arms retrieved and used to ornament the Temple. [Seth] Remarkable. [Seth] I ... yes, well, I suppose it does. [Alma] ... admittedly Reverend Sister, I can't ... substantiate this. [Seth] I must confess I am more than a little ... disarmed ... at these revelations. [Teverya] Well. [Teverya] It is a very interesting theory you have. I don't know what good it does, but there you have it. [Seth] Reverend Sister, do you know of anyplace here in the temple where ... where other parts of such an entity might have been stored away, or misplaced? [Alma] Sometimes knowing is its own reward, when it comes to fascinating things from the past. :) [Teverya] I'm afraid I don't. [Seth] Alas. [Teverya] I must be going to prepare for service now. [Teverya] Good day to both of you. [Alma] Certainly Reverend Sister.

  • Teverya makes the sign of the Wheel and departs.
  • Alma will do the same.

[Alma] Well, I suppose that wasn't as exciting as if we'd found out the constructs were a race of their own, and what I learned is ... well, unfortunately vague... but it doesn't *discount* your theory, so that's something :)

  • Seth looks lost in thought as we wander away from the temple.

[Seth] Yes ... something ... [Seth] I believe I know where the remainder of the Sentinel is most likely to be found.

  • Seth announces out of the blue.

[Alma] ... but... nothing new was revealed? [Seth] Incorrect, my dear Sister. [Seth] Facts now in evidence have told me much that was not known previously. [Alma] ... except the rat, of course. [Seth] Exactly. The rat. [Alma] Do you think the architect was rat? [Alma] Or some one in the construction? [Seth] Perhaps ... that is certainly something I must investigate. [Seth] But I don't think the creature is directly in the temple any longer. [Alma] Where do you believe the remainder will be? Below the city? [Seth] Precisely. How, I had wondered, could a creature of such size have remained a secret for centuries in the bowels of any temple? [Seth] There are too many individuals to have access, and the creature is far too large. [Seth] But what if Schesutte was never in the temple, but rather, *beneath* it, in the sewers? [Alma] I don't think it bodes well for its continued existence though... [Alma] Though I guess that's just romanticism :) [Seth] Why not? The one thing we know about House Rat is how effective they have been in keeping secrets. [Seth] And with much of the sewers inaccessible to almost everyone, why wouldn't they keep it, perhaps even with its amulet, as a guardian? [Seth] Even armless it would be formidable. [Alma] I sensed the arms were lost due to the item's destruction. Though, perhaps should a part break off, the original item is destroyed, becoming two new items. Whether we define one as "more complete" than the other is our own opinion.

  • Alma considers.

[Alma] I had no idea there was such... philosophy to this ability :o [Seth] That, I believe, is a question best left to the philosophers. [Seth] I must consult my maps ... and perhaps, also, M. Rionet. [Alma] Good luck finding the next stop :)

  • Seth laughs.

[Seth] Thank you once again for your assistance, Sister de Beziers. If there is any way I can repay you in the future, please do not hesitate to inquire. [Alma] No need, Mr. Argo, this sort of ... adventure is why I joined the Society. I dare say you can call on me again, if vague tidbits from the past could help :) [Seth] Well, I must be going. There is research to be done! :) [Alma] Good day :)


[Narrator] Guillame, you have been looking forward to paying another visit to old Aure and seeing what more he can tell you about the vanishing traditions and lifestyle of your people. [Narrator] You make your way to his modest home in the Shambles.

  • Guillame has!
  • Aure is inside on this rainy day, seated by the fire, which is somewhat smoky.
  • Aure looks up when you enter, as if he had been expecting to see someone else.

[Aure] Oh. Thought you might be my grandson for a moment there. [Guillame] Sorry to disappoint you [Aure] He doesn’t come to see me much anymore. I’m an embarrassment to him.

  • Aure says without much anger.

[Aure] So, what brings you here, lad? [Guillame] That's ridiculous - but I'm sorry to hear it. [Aure] Well, he's a Spokesman now. They don't hold with the old faith. [Guillame] Well, I came back to learn more about our old way of life.

  • Aure nods.

[Aure] How would you like to see it for yourself? What’s left of it, I mean. [Guillame] A lot, I think. [Aure] It’ll take hours. The rest of the day, without a doubt, maybe longer if things don’t go well.

  • Aure cautions.

[Guillame] That's ok - I hoped to be talking with you for a good few hours, at least. [Aure] Hm. Well, you might not do much talking - but all right.

  • Aure rises and goes to a small cupboard, opens it and withdraws a few items.

[Aure] Let’s go, then.

  • Guillame puts his boots back on
  • Aure walks with a stick along the muddy path that passes for a street here, but seems otherwise steady on his feet.

[Aure] The most obvious passages are in the old city, but they’re also the most dangerous. [Aure] So we’ll go in through the Shambles instead. It’s less direct, but safer. [Guillame] That's fine by me. Are the ones in the old city unstable? [Guillame] Or simply more obvious? [Aure] They've mostly been blocked off to ready access.

  • Guillame nods

[Aure] Short of using magic to get past them.

  • Aure shrugs.
  • Aure leads you on a somewhat meandering route south, to what looks like an ordinary sewer, discharging waste and water into the Ousel.

[Aure] Keep close by me.

  • Guillame is glad he isn't wearing posh clothes!
  • Guillame sticks close to Aure
  • Aure murmurs under his breath, casting a spell.

[Narrator] You feel your body shift, shrink, and change, dropping to four feet and clothing skin in fur, and for a moment you can imagine what your ancestors must have felt, the grandparents you can barely remember and those before them, going back thousands of years. [Narrator] Your sense of smell has always been good, but now it's phenomenal. You almost feel as though you could find your way around with your eyes closed. [Narrator] You realize you can no longer talk, though you can squeak and make other ratty noises.

  • Aure is beside you, in the form of a large grey rat. Your own fur appears to be a more russet colour.
  • Aure beckons to you with a twitch of his head and whiskers, and you somehow understand what he's telling you, though he uses no words. He wants you to follow him.
  • Aure slips through the bars of the sewer's grate, sticking to the edge of the channel where there is a ledge wide enough for you to walk on, so you don't have to swim through sewage.
  • Guillame nods his head at Aure, and tries to remember the scents of the area

[Narrator] The tunnel grows dark very quickly as you move away from the entrance, but you can still see and, more importantly, smell your way around. [Narrator] The stone walls are grooved in places where water, trickling for hundreds of years, has formed channels. In many spots, a greenish slime or mould flourishes. [Narrator] Occasionally a pale grey light shines down through a grate from above, and rain drips steadily through many cracks and openings. The sounds of the city above are faint and almost alien to you. [Narrator] You can hear the quiet noises of other rats as they go about their business. You can almost pretend for a moment that these are your people - that you are going home.

  • Aure seems able to communicate with the normal rats, after some fashion, and they give you no trouble.

[Narrator] The tunnel slopes upwards as you move away from the river, and branches off at various points. [Narrator] Occasionally you come to a section that has caved in, silted up, been barred off with grates even too small for you to slip through, or otherwise been rendered impassable, and you are forced to retrace your steps.

  • Guillame tries to commit every detail to memory, but there is a lot to remember...

[Narrator] However, Aure does not seem discouraged by this, but keeps pressing on, finding other routes. [Narrator] Eventually, after some hours have passed, you realize that the tunnels here are narrower, and less... polished, for lack of a better word. As though they were hewn with rougher tools... or claws... [Narrator] The smell has also improved considerably. No sewage flows here, just rainwater. Evidently these tunnels, whatever they are, are not connected to the sewer system. [Narrator] The passage grows very low and narrow indeed, certainly too small for a human to pass through, and slopes steeply downwards. [Narrator] At last, it opens up into a large chamber or cavern whose ceiling is high above you. You can only imagine how far beneath the surface you must be. The air is warm and still, not at all damp or clammy. [Narrator] The ceiling is supported by thick pillars of stone, and there is, to your surprise, some faint illumination. [Narrator] After a moment, you realize it comes from the stone itself - thick veins of some phosphorescent material twine across its surface, casting a silvery light over the abandoned city.

  • Guillame is fascinated

[Narrator] Above you there is even the illusion of stars, tiny specks of glowing stone.

  • Aure stands beside you, having once again assumed his human form. He reaches down to pick you up.

[Aure] I can't change you back - you'd be stuck here, at least until tomorrow. But this way, I can talk to you, at least, tell you what you're seeing.

  • Guillame is a bit worried, but nods anyway.

[Aure] This is the Silver City, Srebni Zvuka in the old tongue. Not where I grew up - I was just in a little village, Deepburrow. But I came here when I joined the priesthood. [Aure] Beautiful, isn't it...

  • Guillame nods again
  • Aure walks you around. You can see that there are many smaller tunnels and chambers off the main cavern - houses, shops perhaps? Some are even partway up the walls.

[Aure] There used to be rope ladders.

  • Aure says by way of explanation.

[Narrator] There are traces of this place's former inhabitants, but only a few. When they left, they evidently took almost anything they could carry. [Narrator] In several large, low-ceilinged rooms, fungi of various shades grow.

  • Guillame looks to see what's left behind.

[Aure] Can't come here without getting a few blue-caps to take home. They don't seem to grow anywhere else.

  • Aure picks a few handfuls of a pale blue-grey fungus and stuffs them into his bag.
  • Guillame sniffs

[Aure] They're good roasted, or fried in butter. Of course, butter isn't the same up there...

  • Aure leaves you to wonder what kind of milk they had down here... yikes.
  • Guillame is puzzled

[Narrator] Somewhere in the distance, you hear a faint rustling noise. Aure certainly hears it, pricking up his ears at the unfamiliar sound. [Aure] All right, we'd best be going now. Don't want to stir up any trouble...

  • Guillame stiffens
  • Aure puts you down and shifts back into his rat form, then leads you back into the tunnels. The passage out seems to go more quickly, probably due to fewer dead ends and less backtracking.
  • Aure once again turns back into his human form, once you're safely out. Night has fallen, almost to your surprise - it didn't seem as though you were gone so long.

[Aure] You want me to leave you like this?

  • Aure only seems to be partly joking.
  • Guillame thinks, but shakes his head

[Aure] It'll wear off by morning. But I'll end it now...

  • Aure makes a quick gesture, and you find yourself back in your... 'proper' doesn't quite seem the right word. Your human form, in any case.

[Guillame] Wow... [Guillame] Thank you.

  • Aure nods.
  • Guillame looks Aure in the eye

[Aure] Run along home now, lad, but think about what you've seen, and what you've lost. We'll talk again soon.

  • Aure seems drained, perhaps just tired from your long journey, but perhaps there is something more...

[Guillame] I certainly will think about it.

  • Guillame intends to write it all down.
  • Aure will head off to his home, then.
  • Guillame heads home to make notes.


[Narrator] Dominik, you are at Master Halden's training yard this morning, not for a formal lesson, just working out some of your frustrations on the practice dummies.

  • Fredericia Hartzell strides in. You've hardly seen her around since, you know, that whole thing where she didn't become Empress, but she seems to be in good spirits.

[Fredericia] Go easy on that poor sack of straw, Dom.

  • Dominik shrugs

[Dominik] Straw is cheep [Fredericia] True. But I'd be glad to provide you with a more worthy opponent.

  • Dominik smiles at that

[Dominik] If thats the case.

  • Fredericia readies her sword and shield.
  • Dominik will do the same
  • Fredericia is certainly a better fighter than you, tough despite her small size.

[Dominik] . o O (lets see how well I last and how much I can learn)

  • Fredericia finally calls a halt when you look like you're about to keel over. Her short brown is plastered to her forehead, at least, so you know you gave her a run for her money for a little while there.

[Fredericia] Better? [Dominik] It helps... be better if I could say I was on the winning side.

  • Fredericia smiles momentarily at that.

[Fredericia] How are things lately? [Dominik] Life is a mixed bag. For me when things look good, I wait for the worst to happen. Worst hasn't happened yet. [Dominik] You seem to be in a chipper mood. [Fredericia] Oh, I'm well enough. [Fredericia] Rumour has it that your sister's set her cap for our new ruler. [Dominik] Is that really much of a surprise?

  • Fredericia shakes her head.

[Dominik] I'm sure they'll have fun playing eachother. [Fredericia] The most eligible bast- sorry, bachelor in the Empire. [Fredericia] Think she's likely to succeed in snaring him? [Dominik] If she did, it would make some things in my life easier, thats for sure. [Fredericia] I can imagine. [Fredericia] At the rate the Kizers are going, they'll have to hold a triple wedding. That would be a sight to see. [Dominik] trying to eclipse the ball.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] Menard and little Alwen Falgout are all but betrothed, or so I hear. [Fredericia] And Eglantine is apparently quite besotted with some fellow, but he's a nobody, or at least nobody I've ever heard of. I'm sure they'll marry her off to someone more appropriate to keep her out of trouble. [Dominik] I wonder if she'll be a belly full for her new suitor

  • Fredericia laughs at that.

[Fredericia] They can do amazing things with gowns to hide that sort of thing, or so I understand. [Fredericia] And of course, there's the Emperor. He could have his pick, of course. For a while there, everyone thought it would be Lavinie, but now he seems to have gone off her a bit. [Fredericia] All the fuss is almost enough to make me glad it's not me on that throne. *Almost*.

  • Fredericia says with a smile and only the barest hint of bitterness.

[Dominik] I'm so glad our Emperor's life is so busy that the most important thing on his mind is who he will putting it to. [Dominik] then again, maybe thats for the best

  • Dominik shrugs

[Fredericia] Who he has to thank for his election, more likely. [Fredericia] But I agree, it could be much worse. [Dominik] and where does that leave you these days? [Dominik] Besides taking it out on us Radamacher.

  • Fredericia shrugs.

[Fredericia] Same place I always was, I suppose. [Fredericia] I'll just have to find some other way to give back to the Empire. [Fredericia] Maybe join the army, see the world. [Dominik] Can't make your name a fighter when the empire is at peace. [Fredericia] Oh, there are always little problems here and there - but I'm not going to wish for a war just so I can make my name ;)

  • Dominik shakes his head

[Dominik] I suppose not. [Dominik] But still.

  • Fredericia laughs.

[Fredericia] If one started, you wouldn't object? ;) [Dominik] I know what I am good at... politicing, scheming... those arent it. [Dominik] I'm no inventor either. [Dominik] But I know how to use a blade and think in a fight

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] There's still a place for folk like us. [Dominik] The bludgeon for the schemers. [Fredericia] If you're interested in serving the Empire and getting to fight along the way... [Dominik] and sometimes to them. [Dominik] oh?

  • Dominik listens to what Fredericia was trying to say

[Fredericia] I hear the Companions of Silence always need folks with a strong arm and willingness to use it. [Dominik] . o O (the who?) [Fredericia] The Hush. [Fredericia] Doing what the guards can't. [Dominik] Sounds like it has some potenial. [Fredericia] Well, maybe I can put you in touch with someone. [Dominik] I'd hear them out if they wanted to talk to me. [Fredericia] All right then. [Fredericia] I should be on my way, but don't be surprised if you hear from me again soon.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] Until then

  • Fredericia bids you farewell and leaves.


[Narrator] Ysabeau, you are awakened in the middle of the night by an odd noise.

  • Ysabeau tries not to panic, and listens to see if she can figure out what it is, where it is, and if Muri is in any sort of danger.

[Narrator] A thump, perhaps, as though someone knocked something over in the dark. [Narrator] Downstairs, you think. Muri's room is up where yours is, so she's probably in no more danger than you, unless it was her that made the noise. [Narrator] She doesn't usually go wandering around the house in the small hours of the morning, but you never know... [Narrator] At your bedside, Rye is awake and alert, as if anxious to see what's going on.

  • Ysabeau gives him the signal to stay silent and follow her.
  • Ysabeau will get up and try to quietly check on Muri.

[Narrator] Muri is still in her room, and looks to be asleep.

  • Ysabeau nudges her awake and tells her to be quiet and ready to get the hell out of here if necessary.

[Ysabeau] [w] There's something downstairs; I'm going to see what it is. If it sounds like we're fighting I need you to run for the guards, okay?

  • Murienne nods and gets her cloak and boots on in case she needs to run.
  • Ysabeau wonders if it's just Dessa getting her stuff, but if Dessa needed it she could come get it herself during normal hours without breaking in.
  • Ysabeau straps on her rapier and loads a crossbow bolt before heading downstairs. She will cast flare once she's in the main room.

[Narrator] (make a Move Silently check, unless you're not trying to be quiet) [Ysabeau] (10 for moving silently) [Ysabeau] (not gonna cut it, I'm sure) [Narrator] (okay - you try to be pretty quiet, but there are occasional squeaks of floorboards and the like) [Narrator] There is someone in your sitting room! A man, you think. Not especially tall, with a slim build. [Narrator] He is crouched with his back to you at the moment, going through your chest, the one where you put Dessa's things for safekeeping. [Narrator] (so you cast Flare?) [Ysabeau] (yes, DC 14) [Ysabeau] (And as soon as possible, I command Rye to catch the intruder and hold him or something)

  • Man whips around, startled.

[Ysabeau] (I wish I was a crackshot with the crossbow; I'd pin him to the floor or the wall or something. ;D)

  • Man doesn't seem to have been affected by the spell, just a bit surprised.

[Ysabeau] HALT!

  • Man makes a quick jump for the open window, obviously trying to get away. He's very fast and agile, almost impossibly so.

[Narrator] Rye snarls and lunges for him.

  • Ysabeau lets loose with a crossbow bolt.

[Narrator] (okay, roll to hit) [Ysabeau] (18) [Narrator] Just made it. [Narrator] Roll damage. [Ysabeau] Who the HELL are you and what the FUCK are you doing in my house?!! [Ysabeau] (ugh, 1) [Ysabeau] (How's Rye doing? And can I get a good look at the guy, good enough to describe him to the guards?) [Narrator] Your bolt strikes him in the arm, and he manages to kick Rye aside and complete his leap for the window, not nearly as gracefully as he might have, but he's outside.

  • Ysabeau will run outside after him.

[Ysabeau] MURI GET THE GUARDS!

  • Ysabeau wants to see if she can figure out where he goes, though she doesn't expect to be able to catch him
  • Man runs off down the street in the rain, even as your sister hurries off calling for the guards.

[Ysabeau] (Did I get an impression of hair and skin colour, any unusual features when the flare went off?) [Ysabeau] (Can Rye keep up to the man at all? I'm thinking no since he seems to be magically pumped?)

  • Man is running generally north-ish, possibly in the direction of the bridges or the Shambles, and yes, he seems able to outrun you and your dog surprisingly easily.
  • Murienne will return with guards after maybe 10 minutes.

[Ysabeau] (Also I should cast Sleep if he's still in range to use it - 130 feet?) [Ysabeau] (Oh, I meant when he was still close, not 10 min later. ;) ) [Narrator] (you can try it before he's out of range, sure) [Ysabeau] (I will, though if the other one didn't work I don't expect much out of this one)

  • Man falls asleep running, which isn't pretty :p

[Ysabeau] (I'll run up to him and tear fabric strips from my clothes to bind his hands and feet.

  • Man is a young man, maybe in his early twenties, with long auburn hair tied back in a braid.
  • Ysabeau can try to drag him back to the house but if he's too heavy I'll stand watch over him with Rye until the guards show up.
  • Ysabeau will gag him with another strip of cloth in case he's a magic user.
  • Ysabeau will cast Detect Magic now, while she waits.

[Narrator] Sleep only lasts a minute per level, he's going to wake before they get back.

  • Ysabeau has Rye sit on his chest so he can bite the guy's throat.

[Narrator] You can cast DM [Ysabeau] (Well, hopefully with the binding and gagging he won't be able to do much.

  • Ysabeau will have her rapier trained on him too if possible after the hand components of DM are done)
  • Ysabeau casts DM - DC is 14

[Narrator] He doesn't get a save. [Ysabeau] (OKay, looking for anything about him that's magical; I'll confiscate it to hand over to the guards. also if he is magical himself, if I have time to do three rounds of DM) [Narrator] Presence of magical auras: yes.

  • Ysabeau is ready to cast Lullabye or Charm Person on him too, if she must when he wakes up.

[Narrator] Number of different magic auras and power of the most potent aura: three, most powerful is moderate. [Ysabeau] (OK) [Narrator] To know more you have to make a Spellcraft check per aura. [Ysabeau] (Do I have time to locate the auras so I can confiscate what they belong to? (3rd round of DM) [Narrator] (sec) [Narrator] Yes, you can know the location - one is his boots, and two are generally on him (spells)

  • Ysabeau will pull off his boots; maybe those are what made him so fast!

[Narrator] Okay, you can remove his boots. Did you want to make the spellcraft checks or no? [Ysabeau] (Not right now; right now my biggest concern is controlling him and making sure he doesn't get away before the guards show up) [Narrator] (okay) [Ysabeau] (I'll cast Charm Person on him, though, as a safeguard, before he wakes. DC 15 [Narrator] (okay - you won't know if it worked until he wakes, of course)

  • Man stirs, struggling against his bonds.
  • Ysabeau will get Rye to sit next to the guy now, close enough to bite him if the Charm Person didn't work but not so close that he is an immediate threat to the guy.

[Ysabeau] Hi there, sleeping beauty. You're awake. [Narrator] It's the middle of the night, but of course in Pearl it's never really completely quiet - a few people walking by will eye you oddly.

  • Man is gagged, so obviously can't respond.

[Narrator] (DO you have Use Rope? just out of curiosity; ) [Ysabeau] I'm sorry that you're so uncomfortable. I'll untie the gag if you like and are good enough to stay with me and chat for a bit. [Narrator] (make an untrained Use Rope check so I know how good these knots are ;) [Ysabeau] (No, that is one of the weaknesses in my plan. I will put on the boots; I prolly was in bare feet and that's as good a way to keep them from him as any... better than setting them aside for him or anyone else to grab, at least. [Ysabeau] (Use Rope is Dex, right?) [Narrator] (yes) [Ysabeau] (17)

  • Ysabeau will watch him to make sure he isn't working himself loose of the knots.
  • Man struggles but can't break free, especially not with you holding a sword on him.

[Ysabeau] (I meant to stop doing that because of the Charm Person) [Murienne] (okay) [Ysabeau] (I was trying to look as nonthreatening as possible with him tied up helplessly, in order to help the Charm succeed)

  • Man settles down and stops struggling.

[Ysabeau] Are you all right? [Ysabeau] Nod for yes, shake for no.

  • Man nods his head in the direction of his bleeding arm.
  • Ysabeau acts all friendly-like.

[Ysabeau] Okay, I can take care of that. Will you let me?

  • Man nods.
  • Ysabeau stoops down and uses Heal to wrap a bandage around it and stem the bleeding.
  • Ysabeau doesn't take her eyes off his face for more than a few seconds as she binds the wound, in case he tries anything.
  • Murienne returns shortly with a pair of guards.

[Ysabeau] Muri! Over here.

  • Murienne and the guards join you.

[Guard] What's going on here? [Ysabeau] Hi... I caught this fellow in my house. He'd broken in and was rifling through a locked chest of my belongings. [Ysabeau] When I surprised him he bolted but my dog and I were able to stop him. [Guard] Well, let's see what he has to say for himself.

  • Guard reaches down to pull the guy to his feet and remove his gag.

[Ysabeau] If you'll watch him, I'll take these boots off; they're his and they're magical. [Guard] Did you shoot him?

  • Guard asks, noticing the wound on his arm.

[Ysabeau] I was keeping them just to hand them over to you and keep them away from him.

  • Guard nods.

[Ysabeau] I did because he didn't stop when I asked him to and I didn't know whether he had stolen anything from me or not.

  • Ysabeau takes off the boots and hands them over to the other guard.

[Ysabeau] He also has some magical spells cast on him, just so you know. [Man] I only did it because I love her.

  • Man says when the gag is removed.

[Ysabeau] I tried to bind the wound as best I could once I had him apprehended.

  • Ysabeau looks at the young man in astonishment.

[Ysabeau] Dessa?

  • Ysabeau asks him.

[Man] No... you.

  • Guard chuckles at that.

[Ysabeau] o_O [Ysabeau] (I don't recognize him at all, do I?) [Narrator] (nope) [Ysabeau] Well, it might have been better for you to come and tell me that rather than break into my house.

  • Ysabeau turns into the guards.

[Ysabeau] To be perfectly honest, I have never seen this man before in my life. [Ysabeau] So if he does love me as he claims, he must have been admiring me from afar.

  • Guard shrugs.

[Guard] Stranger things have happened. Did he take anything from you? [Ysabeau] I haven't had a chance to check the chest he was going through yet. If you could take control of him I'll show you where we live and we can check.

  • Guard will accompany you to your house, leaving the other guard with the guy outside.
  • Ysabeau will let the guard that comes with her know that the guy might just think he's in love with her because she cast Charm Person on him to make sure he'd still be under her control when the guards showed up.
  • Guard listens to your story.

[Narrator] You look through the chest, but don't find anything missing. [Ysabeau] All right, nothing appears to be missing, but this is what he was rifling through. [Ysabeau] (Is Muri around at the moment?) [Guard] (still outside) [Ysabeau] I keep it locked so he had to pick the lock to get at it. [Guard] Well. If he didn't actually steal anything, and didn't hurt anyone, maybe he really is just a crazy fellow who's admired you from afar and thought this might be a nice way to show his love. [Ysabeau] Perhaps... [Ysabeau] Don't you think that's a little disturbing?

  • Guard shrugs.

[Guard] You seem like you can take care of yourself, miss. [Guard] We'll give him a talking-to and charge him a fine for breaking in.

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Ysabeau] I was lucky this time. It could have been some hardened criminal. [Guard] Get a better lock for your shutters.

  • Guard suggests semi-helpfully.

[Ysabeau] But thank you for coming. If you don't mind, I'll come back to him with you. I'm curious to know his name.

  • Guard nods.

[Ysabeau] I'd also like to take one last look at those boots, if you don't mind.

  • Man is still with the other guard (and Muri) outside your house.

[Guard] I suppose so.

  • Guard will allow you to look at them.
  • Ysabeau will cast DM on them again and this time use Spellcraft to figure out what they do... I need all the info I can get about this guy. I'll have to have a chat with Dessa about him.

[Ysabeau] (And that's all the spells I have for the day) [Narrator] (okay, SC check) [Ysabeau] (12... can I use my Destiny to reroll? I don't think I've used it yet in game) [Narrator] (sure) [Ysabeau] (12 again, it's not meant to be.) [Narrator] (nope, you can't tell)

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Ysabeau] Oh well. Can't get anything off them.

  • Guard gives the fellow a stern talking-to about how this isn't how you should let a girl know you like her, you creep.
  • Guard also collects a 10gp fine from him.
  • Ysabeau will SM the man's responses to see if he's lying or what

[Ysabeau] Also what's your name, young fellow? [Ysabeau] And how do you know me, and where I live? [Man] Vescan... Vescan Corriveau. [Ysabeau] What is about me that you love? [Man] Your hair... your eyes... your laugh... do I need to go on?

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Guard looks puzzled at all of this.

[Ysabeau] So where have you had the chance to observe me enough to fall in love? How long have you loved me? Just since tonight? [Ysabeau] (Can I cancel out a Charm Person? It would make life so much easier) [Man] I remember you from years ago, Ysabeau. [Guard] We'll make sure he's well away from here tonight, miss. [Guard] He won't give you any further trouble, will he?

  • Guard says, punctuating his request with a blow to the guy's head.

[Man] No sir.

  • Man says, seemingly chastened.
  • Ysabeau looks disturbed by the violence.

[Narrator] (a smack, not a club or something ;)

  • Ysabeau is trying to figure out where the hell this guy is coming from.
  • Man blows you a kiss as they walk him off.

[Ysabeau] How many years? [Ysabeau] (22 on my SM to see how insane this guy is) [Narrator] You are left to wonder. Could he have been one of your customers? Someone from your childhood? Or was he just a skilled liar? [Ysabeau] (Or how much of that was lies or veiled threats)


Solos

  • Altheo will head over there and stake out the joint first, to make sure she's home, then go up and knock when its fairly late at night.

[Narrator] You can tell from your stake-out that she doesn't live alone. Perhaps her mother or aunt - an older female, anyway - lives there with her. [Altheo] (For the record I'm in my armor and carrying my weapons.) [Narrator] 'k

  • Alcina answers your knock.
  • Alcina seems surprised to see you.

[Altheo] Hello there. [Alcina] ...Altheo? is something wrong? [Altheo] Nice night eh? [Altheo] Can I come in?

  • Alcina looks puzzled.

[Alcina] I'll come out.

  • Altheo looks somber

[Altheo] (Does she have a barn, or stable or anything like that?)

  • Alcina picks up a sword from somewhere behind the door and joins you outside.

[Narrator] Probably a little workshed or something of the like. [Alcina] What's the problem? [Altheo] My investigation took a weird turn. What have you found out about the revelators? [Alcina] Well, I don't think any of the other council members apart from Dryden attend their meetings. [Alcina] So if this is somehow connected to them, then he's probably involved in it. [Altheo] How close have you gotten to him? [Alcina] I've talked to him twice - nothing major. I don't want him to get suspicious. [Altheo] How are you managing that? [Alcina] Well, at the meetings, it's pretty informal. He doesn't have bodyguards with him or anything, I've just been able to talk to him in passing. [Altheo] Have you mentioned anything about me?

  • Altheo watches her closely for her response.

[Altheo] Or any of the other investigators? [Alcina] No, of course not! [Altheo] (21 on sense motive.)

  • Alcina doesn't seem to be lying.

[Altheo] One of my spies came back to me after the last revelators meeting. [Altheo] They said they overheard a peice of your conversation with Dryden.

  • Alcina listens.

[Altheo] It sounded very much like he knew of the investigation and you were trying to hinder it. [Alcina] Well, your spy must be mistaken.

  • Alcina sounds slightly offended.

[Altheo] Well, its true they didn't hear Nestor's half of the conversation. Maybe you could fill in the details of how it went? [Alcina] ... I'll fill everyone in at our next meeting.

  • Alcina seems suspicious of you now.

[Altheo] Mijanou works for me. [Alcina] Who? [Altheo] But she doesn't know I'm working with you. [Altheo] The girl that was with him. [Alcina] Oh. Well, if she works for you, then she heard what was said. [Altheo] You can understand how I might be a bit concerned that the two halves of my life both seem to revolve around that man. [Alcina] Yes, it must be difficult keeping so many lives straight. [Altheo] I haven't talked to her about it. I came to you first. Its your version of events I'm likely to beleive. [Alcina] As I said, I'll report to Ser Julian when everyone else does. I don't feel comfortable speaking to you this way. [Altheo] Fine, then lets head to him now. [Altheo] This isn't the type of thing that can wait. [Alcina] ... Fine. [Altheo] Do you have a horse? If not we can ride double.

  • Alcina will accompany you to Ser Julian's house.
  • Ser_Julian will greet you at the door, though he looks somewhat groggy. You might have woken him up...

[Ser_Julian] What's the matter?

  • Altheo is ok with that.
  • Ser_Julian says, seeing you both armed.

[Altheo] Our investigations have come up against each other it seems. We need you to sort it out. [Alcina] *Ser* Altheo would like me to report my findings to you. [Altheo] Well, I was willing to deal with it just the two of us. But I guess she doesn't trust me enough.

  • Altheo says lightly.

[Ser_Julian] All right. Alcina, we'll talk in my study. Altheo, you can wait here.

  • Alcina will gladly accompany him to another room to talk. They're in there for maybe 10 minutes.
  • Altheo seems a bit surprised they won't all talk about it together.
  • Altheo will totally try and eavedrop.

[Narrator] Okay, you can make a move silently check to sneak up there without them hearing you, and then a listen check to hear them [Narrator] (remembering that you are in armor, if that limits your dex - I forget what kind of armor you wear) [Altheo] (one sec, I'll double check my armor penalty.) [Altheo] (ok, so thats a modified 12 on the Move silently, and a 7 on the listen.) [Narrator] Okay - they don't pop out, so presumably they didn't hear you, but you can't really hear much of their conversation. [Altheo] (ok)

  • Alcina and Ser Julian emerge after about 10 minutes, and Alcina leaves with only a curt nod to you.
  • Ser_Julian sighs.

[Ser_Julian] Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Altheo. [Altheo] I was really hoping to be in on that conversation. Or at least talk to her afterwards. [Altheo] Whats up? [Ser_Julian] She is in a difficult situation. I'll have to go over it with the Lord Marshal. [Ser_Julian] I'll tell you all about it - when I can. [Ser_Julian] For now, just assume that any information she provides is likely to be ...unreliable. [Altheo] I'm more concerned with what she may tell Nestor about me. He has been spending a lot of time with Mijanou, one of my girls, and I'm worried Alcina will spill the beans on my operation. [Altheo] Can I at least trust her enough not to do that? [Ser_Julian] I think so. [Altheo] Thank you Julian. [Ser_Julian] I doubt that's her paramount concern at the moment.

  • Ser_Julian pats you on the shoulder affectionately.
  • Altheo nods to his friend and will leave.


  • Ysabeau is really quite fluent; she has turned our sessions into quizzing you on the nuances of meaning in Cozovode stories and songs, if they draw on any sort of mythology etc. She firmly believes that one needs a firm foundation in culture in order to interpret a song correctly.
  • Sanadhil can happily provide that background, and will try to lead you to extrapolate some of the nuances yourself from the bits that you find.
  • Ysabeau has been asking about any stories about dragons among your people, lately.

[Sanadhil] Well I hope you're not expecting to find any connection to the thing that appeared at the council chambers... [Ysabeau] Not *expecting* to, no.

  • Ilphere will drop by Sanadhil's office (or wherever) when your tutorial is finishing up.

[Ysabeau] I'm looking at Aveyrone folklore as well. You know, stories often have a grain of truth if you can sift through all the embellishments and interpretations of the centuries and countless storytellers. [Sanadhil] But there are some references to dragons in the Stay Cycle of Lehrand... I think we have Gèran Marasalo's translation, but not a copy of the original here.

  • Ilphere taps on the door.

[Ysabeau] Well, a translation will do for now. Just another layer of interpretation to mine through. [Sanadhil] indeed - there are some clear flaws that you should... excuse me

  • Sanadhil will answer the door.

[Sanadhil] good afternoon, mlle. de Quessenet. [Sanadhil] We were just finishing up

  • Ysabeau peeks around the corner and smiles broadly at her friend.

[Ysabeau] Hi Ilph! [Ilphere] Allo...! [Ilphere] I hope I'm not cutting the lesson short then...?

  • Sanadhil ushers her, and the ever present Dominik in to the study room

[Sanadhil] no no. [Sanadhil] please. [Ysabeau] Hi, Dominik. [Sanadhil] Ysabeau, do you have a few minutes?

  • Ysabeau smiles for him as well.

[Ilphere] Good, good...! [Ysabeau] Ah, certainly, but only if our interrupted conversation can be taken up again later. [Sanadhil] of course [Ysabeau] I'd like to hear about those flaws you mentioned before tackling the text so that I can keep them in mind.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] Oh no, I was going to suggest that you should have sufficient background to spot the most obvious ones easily, and see if that leads you to discovering the others. [Sanadhil] Homework. [Ysabeau] Oh, they're not misinterpretations of your culture then? I doubt I could spot those, not having been raised in it... [Sanadhil] It's related. we'll see what you come up with, and can discuss it further later. [Ysabeau] All right. [Sanadhil] In any case, Mlle de Quessenet and I wanted to pick your brains on some matters related to another research project [Ilphere] Yes...! [Ysabeau] Sorry, in the pursuit of knowledge, I get a little singleminded at times.

  • Ysabeau smiles apologetically to Ilphere and Dominik

[Ysabeau] But yes. Go ahead, I'll see what I can help you with...

  • Ysabeau looks a bit doubtful of herself but will listen to what you have to say.

[Ilphere] Well! [Ilphere] I have seen some images... some visions I suppose... And I was hoping that some of the imagery might mean something to you... as you have a wealth of knowledge about folklore...! [Ysabeau] Oh!

  • Ysabeau looks a little more confident.
  • Dominik will have waved and smiled hello to people

[Dominik] (was afk) [Ysabeau] I can try. Describe them to me. [Ilphere] Right...! [Ilphere] Well, I was crossing a snowy field towards a hill, with a black, twisted tree on top. [Ilphere] The hill was very icry but I managed to get to the top... [Ilphere] And there was a bearded, dark-haired young man sitting there, with his eyes closed... [Ilphere] His hands were shackled, and he was holding this urn which was pouring out a trickle of water... possibly a decanter of endless water? [Ilphere] Anyway that was why the hill was so icy...! [Ilphere] I tried to talk to him but he did not respond... [Ilphere] And then Hali flew in and said 'the Sovereign sleeps.' [Ilphere] That was about it, before Dominik woke me... [Ilphere] Oh! [Ysabeau] Hmmm... [Ysabeau] !

  • Ilphere remembers suddenly.
  • Ysabeau looks up again when you make that exclamation

[Ilphere] The tree also had some very dark berries... I tried to pick one, and then when I woke up I had the juice on my hands, I'm sure of it... I could smell it. [Ilphere] And thinking about it later I think the shackles *might* have been dimensional shackles, but I can't be sure... I didn't have time to cast any spells of detection. [Ysabeau] I wonder.... [Ilphere] And he was wearing what was probably a protective ring... [Ilphere] He did seem... I don't know, almost familiar... There was something about him, but I can't put my finger on it... [Ilphere] Can you make anything of all that..?

  • Ilphere looks at you quizzically.
  • Ysabeau looks pensive.

[Ysabeau] Just give me a moment to think.

  • Ysabeau blushes a little, she feels a bit self-conscious with all eyes on her
  • Sanadhil nods and tries to give her space to breathe

[Ysabeau] All right... here's something for you to think about while I keep thinking, too - both of you, that is.

  • Ysabeau looks at Ilphere AND Dominik

[Ysabeau] But mostly Ilph since she's the only one who saw him. [Ysabeau] Does the young man perhaps look like a Rademacher? Any family resemblance?

  • Dominik shrugs

[Ysabeau] It's just a thought I had because there was a Rademacher emperor who disappeared. His name's on the tip of my tongue... [Ysabeau] Anyway, if he looks familiar maybe it's because those of his family who live today look a little like him? [Dominik] beared dark haired young man is not exactly the kind of description I can use to find family resemblances. [Ysabeau] No, I did say Ilphere mostly

  • Ilphere thinks...

[Sanadhil] do you recall anythig else about that emperor? how old he was when he disappeared? [Ilphere] Hmmm... [Narrator] (anyone with K: history can roll on that) [Ysabeau] But if you know his name then maybe she can look up a portrait or statue of him.

  • Sanadhil tries to remember

[Sanadhil] (26 - nat 20 :) [Ilphere] (32) [Ysabeau] (11 for me) [Sanadhil] (bah) [Ysabeau] That could help him confirm whether it was him or not. Darn, I wish I could remember his name. [Ilphere] (also... do I think, in retrospect, that he could have the Rademacher look?) [Narrator] (Ilphere, perhaps that was it - some old portrait reminds you of him?) [Narrator] Wolf - Ruchard Rademacher, r. 1721 - 1724 [3 years]. He disappeared from his bed one night and was never found. The Empire remained rudderless for six months until it was finally decided to declare him dead and choose a new emperor. ) [Narrator] (for those of you who rolled well on your checks ;) [Ilphere] Oh yes... Ruchard Rademacher! [Sanadhil] .... [Sanadhil] yes. [Sanadhil] dissapeared from bed? [Ilphere] Quick, we must find a portrait...! [Ysabeau] So the other thing that struck me was what Hali said. "The Sovereign sleeps" [Ysabeau] I think that young man is the Sovereign he's talking about, since he was sleeping. [Ysabeau] It's pretty obvious, I know. [Ysabeau] But... if we could confirm that he is this Emperor Ruchard then that would clear it up a bit more. [Sanadhil] well, I don't think we would have made that connection to the emperor, if that can be established

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] The shackles I can see... as he was clearly prevented from returning from wherever he went, whether it be to his death or... elsewhere... but how would the image of the decanter fit in... [Ilphere] And that tree... Where could that be... [Ilphere] Oh yes, a picture! [Ilphere] There must be an engraving or something in one of the history texts in the library...! [Sanadhil] well we can certainly look for a portrait - isn't there smeone in the society who studies the emperors? [Ilphere] Yes...! [Ysabeau] That I don't know... [Sanadhil] they might know more about him also, or where to look for useful sources [Sanadhil] There was something else I wanted to ask you about as well, Ysabeau.... a place name I came across in my research, of some lost city, maybe? [Sanadhil] Sarakynal. [Sanadhil] have you ever heard of it, in your research? [Ilphere] Oh ! Oh! [Ilphere] I found something about that! [Sanadhil] you did? [Dominik] You could check the palace. [Ilphere] Loch DuChampe mentions it as the Gravonian name for what is now Diablotin.

  • Sanadhil 's eye light up
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] of course. [Sanadhil] That makes some sense..... and yet the reference was very much to a lost city. hmm. [Sanadhil] well, thank you Ilphère. [Ilphere] You are quite welcome, I'm glad I could help...! [Ilphere] And thank *you*, Ysa...! [Ysabeau] You're welcome. Glad to be useful. :) [Ysabeau] Let me know what you find out, will you? [Ilphere] Yes, of course...! [Ysabeau] And Sarakynal... [Sanadhil] do you know more?

  • Ysabeau looks apologetic.

[Ysabeau] It doesn't ring any bells, Master Orecalo. I'm sorry. [Sanadhil] that's alright, you have been very helpful. [Ysabeau] Follow up on Ilph's lead, though. :) [Sanadhil] I defintely will. [Ysabeau] Let me know what you, learn, too!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ysabeau] Thanks. :) [Sanadhil] I am considering forming a paper for the society arounf the idea.... [Sanadhil] we shall see.

  • Ilphere is obviously impatient to go find the Big Book of Emperors!

[Sanadhil] shall we go, then? [Dominik] where? [Sanadhil] to the library. [Sanadhil] it is closer, and more acessible. [Ysabeau] I'll come along; I need to go there anyway.

  • Dominik shrugs

[Ilphere] Yes!

  • Sanadhil nods, and will led the way then
  • Ysabeau falls into place next to Dom. ;)

[Dominik] that's impressive... remembering that old Rademacher emperor

  • Ysabeau looks up at him and smiles, pleased at the compliment.

[Ysabeau] It's what I do... remember old stories and songs. Let me tell you, there's been a lot of speculation about what happened to him. [Ysabeau] So I'm as keen to learn the truth as they are.

  • Sanadhil will let Ilphère look through it
  • Ysabeau indicates Ilphere and Sanadhil in front of us.

[Ysabeau] Albeit for different reasons.

  • Ilphere flips through to the relevant pages...

[Dominik] It will be interesting [Ysabeau] It would be really strange if he's still alive in some other plane and he can come back to this one. [Ysabeau] Think how vastly different the world is today from the world he would have known! [Ysabeau] I would feel a little sorry for him, I think, having to adapt to all that. [Narrator] There is a portrait of Emperor Ruchard, and despite its age, you can tell that he is a young man with dark hair and a beard. It could certainly be the man you saw, Ilphere. [Ysabeau] And it would be weird meeting your descendants. [Dominik] would he still be emperor? Try and think about that. [Ilphere] Hm... It could be him!

  • Sanadhil peers at the image over your shoulder
  • Ysabeau 's eyes sparkle. That IS fun to think about.

[Ilphere] A portrait doesn't always look that much like the real person but... it does look like him... [Ilphere] ! [Sanadhil] perhaps there are other images that could give a better impressions? [Ysabeau] Well, probably not since he was legally ruled dead and so much has changed... but he might make a better emperor than the one we- [Ilphere] Let's look!

  • Sanadhil glances to see how long ago his reign was
  • Ysabeau stops herself in time in case someone overhears her possibly traitorous comment.

[Ilphere] Perhaps an art history book...!

  • Ilphere does not seem bothered
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Go ahead - there is smething else I want to look at while we're here

  • Ilphere bustles off to that section then.
  • Dominik will eye the portrait before they close the book

[Narrator] (like 500 years, San)

  • Sanadhil flips back to the earliest entry and quickly reads over what the BBOE says about the earliest emperor
  • Ysabeau looks at it and compares him to Dominik.

[Narrator] You can locate a few other portraits of him, but not too many - he didn't reign long enough to have dozens and dozens ;) [Ysabeau] What about the statue? You could check if you're at the palace any time soon. Maybe in three dimensions it would be easier?

  • Ysabeau suggests.

[Ilphere] (so they all look fairly similar in that it could be the guy from my dream?) [Ysabeau] There's that whole hall of statues... [Narrator] (similar enough - the features are hard to make out, in the old-fashioned portraits, but it could be)

  • Sanadhil will come over and join the others after he finishes reading the earlier entries

[Sanadhil] What do you think? [Ilphere] It could be...! [Ilphere] I wish I could have the dream again...! [Sanadhil] perhaps you will... [Ysabeau] Check the statue out since you saw him in the flesh, so to speak. Maybe it's a better likeness. On the other hand, it could be completely stylized too. [Ysabeau] Maybe if it DOES look a lot like him it will trigger another vision. [Sanadhil] M Rademacher - if you do see her sleep walking again, perhaps you might no be so quick to wake her if she is in no danger? [Dominik] I was far from quick the last time, and as for the danger part, who can say if she was in danger or not... it certainly isn't normal. [Dominik] and while it's very interesting that you've managed to determine who you saw, Ilphere, it still doesnt explain what happened to you. [Ilphere] I've often had dreams of other worlds... [Sanadhil] Perhaps it is somethig that is passed through the blood? [Sanadhil] do you have any ancestors with similar experiences.... or any who have talked of it? [Ilphere] That is a most interesting theory... [Ilphere] None that I know of, but I will ask...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] It is possible that if I did, they would... not have been talked about [Ilphere] My family is very conscious of appearances...! [Sanadhil] there is that :/ [Dominik] look for the aunt or uncle nobody wants to talk about. [Ilphere] Yes... [Ilphere] I'll have a look...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] as for inducing more visions.... it is possible to control one's dreams through prracticed meditation [Sanadhil] but I don't know if that would be enough to induce that sort of experience [Ilphere] I imagine it must take a long time to master, as well...! [Sanadhil] I suppose, yes. [Sanadhil] it would be easier for a disciplined mind, I expect

  • Ysabeau raises an eyebrow.

[Ysabeau] . o O (Did he just sort of insult her?) [Sanadhil] (it was intended as the oposite!) [Sanadhil] You could try it, perhaps. It might be easier if you had some kind of focus. (end of solo)