Ashnabis session 5

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 5 Next

Summary

The group are requested to settle a dispute between Fono Serpeng and the family of his deceased wife, the Lentu lineage. The dispute ostensibly revolves around access to Fono's land, but encompasses many other issues, including the rearing of Fono's children and his relationship with his in-laws. While examining Fono's land, a group of local toughs confront the group, and a dispute ensues in which Katenzhi kills Kemiir, one of the young men. Jimba tries to smooth things over with the Lentus, while Daifan, Chimi, and Idovo go and adopt the corpseborn baby.

Session

Session date: Feb. 24, 2019
Fair Cycle date: Khurar, I.E. 765

Prologue


<AshnabisNarrator> The calendar has changed over from Fikho to Khurar, and yet nothing else has changed. The rainy season is still at its height, and the banks of the North Kaskos lap at the tops of the poles on which some of the low-lying houses of Kaskind rest.
<AshnabisNarrator> https://open.spotify.com/track/5RH7GDyddtwOsrOPMBLSD5?si=WuH-wcwDTvWDBotjTQXi4A
<AshnabisNarrator> About the only difference is that the bugs appear to be larger and nastier than last month. Those of you as yet unaccustomed to living in a warm, moist swamp find yourself regularly regretting your life decisions. And yet along with the vermin, Khurar brings the first wave of new ships starting to arrive in port after leaving from the Omban nations at winter's end.
<AshnabisNarrator> The wide eyes and wrinkled noses of the new arrivals give them away immediately, as they stagger about the rough-hewn town to try to get their bearings, rediscover their land legs, find a watering hole, or all of the above.

A dispute begins outside the Land Registry between Bohin and Fono


<AshnabisNarrator> You have been in the office for about an hour when you hear a commotion coming from outside the building. You think you hear male voices shouting. Others in the office perk up and start wandering outside to see what's going on.
* Jimba goes to see what's up.
* Daifan woudl liek to hear this..... and has definitely been keeping their ears open at work and aroudn town for news of ships coming from taizi >.>
* Daifan can lurk somewhere inconspicuously
* Veznara walks slowly outside, curious to see what's happening but not wanting to appear with unseemly haste
* Junan will find a window to snoop
* Katenzhi follows Jimba.
<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, you haven't heard about that specific ship of interest, and you think you would have.
<Daifan> (Yeah I figured)
* Llillilli will go hang around just outside.
<AshnabisNarrator> You come out into the courtyard at the front of the registry and see two men quarrelling, standing about five or eight feet apart, cursing loudly at each other, one in Ombesh, the other in Aummesh.
<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba, you realize you recognize one of the men, the slightly older Aummesh fellow, as Bohin Lentu, the elder of his lineage and the husband of your colleague Liraula Gadali of the Black Stork.
<AshnabisNarrator> The other man is not known to any of you.
* NPC1 is now known as Bohin
* Curtana is now known as Other_Man
* Llillilli is bored enough to listen in even though she doesn't know them
<Jimba> Hey, uh, what's going on?
* Jimba will say in Aummesh first.
<Bohin> YOU FILTH! YOU SLUGSPAWN KINLESS BASTARD ICEHEAD CUNT!
* Bohin does not appear to be aware of your presence yet.
* Katenzhi will nod in appreciation of his cursing prowess.
* Daifan is nooooot stepping in to this but will sure drink up this tea :x
<Other_Man> This is how you treat me, now, at a time like this? I see you for what you truly are, heartless bastard.
<Bohin> Heartless? You keep your children away from their grandmother at a time like this, and you call me heartless?
<Other_Man> Your folk couldn't even wait a few days, out of respect?
<Jimba> Bohin?
<Bohin> You take our lands, take our children, take our dignity, you gutless swan's intestine.
<Other_Man> you come onto my land, violating my rights, even in my time of mourning!
<Bohin> Under no circumstances will I be lectured to by a Nuluan prick like you.
<Bohin> It was our land long before it was yours, you mentally defective bogwiggle!
<Other_Man> They're my children and I'll raise them as I see fit - I'm not bound by your ignorant customs!
<Jimba> Hey now, no call for that, friend.
* Jimba says to the other guy in Ombesh.
<Bohin> Without a family, without lands, without anything that makes them human. They may as well be as lost as the new baby!
* Other_Man moves to take a swing at Bohin
* Jimba will make sure to get in the guy's line of sight, try to get his attention.
* Bohin spits effusively at the other man's feet.
* Bohin is clearly far more adept at fighting, and steps aside easily, but does not strike back.
* Veznara quietly looks around to see whether there are town guards around to break this up
* Other_Man is distracted by Jimba, however, and will step back.
<Other_Man> Are you with the land registry?
* Other_Man asks Jimba
<Jimba> I am, yes.
<Jimba> Is there a problem.
<Jimba> ?
<Other_Man> Good, then you can sort this out.
<AshnabisNarrator> The sentinels are not right here - yet. It will surely take some time.
<Llillilli> . o O (uuuuugh)
* Jimba looks between the two of them.
<Bohin> Jimba? Oh thank the ancestors.
* Bohin seems to finally notice.
* Llillilli mentally facepalms at Jimba butting in.
<Jimba> Bohin, what's going on here?
* Daifan has perked up at the mention of the baby
<Bohin> I was told you'd be working today. This ... this shitman needs to be put in his place.
* Jimba turns to the other guy.
* Other_Man scowls
<Llillilli> Rude
<Jimba> I'm Jimba. I know Bohin and his family a bit. What's the problem here?
<Katenzhi> (W) Man, he was doing so good until "Shitman".
<Other_Man> I will discuss it inside - not out in the street like a filthy pirate thug.
* Other_Man says with a glance at Bohin
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> Please, come inside, both of you.
<Jimba> If you can keep it civil.
<Bohin> I can keep it civil.
* Bohin says unconvincingly.
* Jimba looks skeptical, but will show them inside.
* Other_Man marches inside, trying to steadfastly ignore Bohin
* Jimba will try to quietly ask Kat and Llillilli to keep close.
<AshnabisNarrator> You see a couple of sentinels wandering over, not too quickly, but they don't seem to interested since no one is bleeding or on the ground. Utus is standing in the main doorway looking disapproving.
* NPC4 is now known as Utus
* NPC2 is now known as Sentinel
<Sentinel> Is there a problem here?
* Veznara will follow the rest of her team
* Katenzhi will keep close and keep one hand on her powder pouch.
* Llillilli looks annoyed at Jimba having stepped in this.
<Utus> No, things are under control.
* Utus will assure the sentinel.
* Bohin will follow along.
<Sentinel> All right then. You two, keep it down.
* Daifan will continue to... hoverclean or whatever. NO one cares what I'm doing really anyway >.>
<AshnabisNarrator> You manage to get everyone inside and keep the two disputants away from one another for now.

The disputants explain their situation


* Utus will encourage the disputants to come into his office, and will beckon for you lot to join them.
* Veznara does so
* Jimba will head into the office.
* Bohin is a stout, middle-aged man with curly dark hair and a full beard. He wears a brightly patterned dashi, with stripes of blue, red, and gold, and has a pair of copper armbands that gleam in the light.
* Utus is dressed in a robe of a coppery brown shade embroidered with coils of midnight blue, with a sash of a vibrant goldenrod colour belted about his slim waist.
<Utus> Let's start with getting your names.
* Utus says to the two of them.
<Bohin> Bohin of the Lentu, elder of the Lentu of Timiil.
<Other_Man> I am Fono Serpeng.
* Other_Man is now known as Fono
* Fono is a man in his mid-thirties, with a light complexion and a grim look, as though he hasn't slept well in days. He has light brown hair, receding somewhat, and a sparse beard.
* Fono wears a pair of baggy dark green trousers tucked into his boots, and a grey vest. Around his neck, hanging from a chain, is a recognizable clay tablet, a bustul, indicating a relative rendered bubun.
* Utus nods, taking down that information.
<AshnabisNarrator> (Those of you with Linguistics or K: geography would know that Fono's name is not an ordinary Ombesh name, but rather a Nuluan patronymic, of the sort that some people still use in the far north)
<Utus> Now, please explain - calmly - the nature of your dispute. One at a time, and without name-calling, if you would.
<Bohin> The problem is that this one here won't let our clan use its lands.
* Bohin points disgustedly at Fono, avoiding the use of names entirely.
<Fono> Because it's my land.
<Fono> I have a land claim outside Timiil. I live there with my wife and children - or... I did. My wife Tusommi died last week.
* Fono explains miserably
<Bohin> My cousin Tusommi.
* Bohin has switched to Ombesh now, which he speaks with a slight accent.
<Utus> I see. And the dispute is over the use of this land?
<Bohin> The land that you gave to him, years ago, but which is for our common use to take our goats along the path from one part of our lands to another, by ancestral right.
<Bohin> None of this was a problem for eight years, they were married. Then she dies in childbirth and this one apparently forgets what it is to be kin and neighbour. Unsurprisingly, given that he has no kin of his own, save us who he denies.
<Fono> My claim lies between the areas where the Lentu graze their goats, and they use it to traverse back and forth. I ... my wife felt it was better to let them do so, to keep the peace, but I don't want them on my land any longer. It was only ever a courtesy that I let them use it, and they have proven they don't deserve such courtesy.
<Bohin> You never even bothered to learn your wife's language!
<Bohin> You are keeping your grieving children from visiting their grandmother, and you talk about courtesy?
* Fono ignores that, absently holding onto the bustul at his neck.
<Utus> Address yourselves to me, not to each other, please.
<Veznara> (Would the bustul have specific information about the bubun?)
<Jimba> (Had I ever met Tusommi at all?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (Yes, but you wouldn't be able to see it unless up close. It's inscribed but it's not like you can see the name from any distance)
<AshnabisNarrator> (no, Jimba, you'd never met Tusommi, but you really hadn't met most of the Lentus. They're one of these old country lineages of the Aummesh.)
<Jimba> (*nod* )
<Jimba> Okay, well, it sounds like maybe this is about more than land rights, huh?
<Bohin> Utus, I speak to you because although this registry has not often been kind to Aummesh people, but because I have heard that you are a fair man. I cannot ask you to resolve our familial dispute, although it is heavy on my heart right now. I can ask you to ensure that our ancestral rights are maintained.
<Fono> The right was given to me, eight years ago. I ask that my right to use this claim as I see fit be upheld.
<Utus> We will investigate the details of the competing claims, and do what we can to resolve this dispute.
<Bohin> I insist that Jimba of the Ghughife be assigned to investigate this, if so. I know him and am willing to trust him in this.
* Utus glances at Jimba to make sure he's okay with this.
* Jimba nods.
<Llillilli> Aren't you friends though?
<Llillilli> Doesn't that make you biased?
<Jimba> I'll do everything I can to resolve this amicably, but, Bohin, I'm bound by the law.
* Veznara frowns at Llillilli's intervention
<Bohin> The law, created by Ombesh to serve Ombesh, is already biased enough against us, without adding more to it.
<Jimba> I have an interest, at the very least.
<Katenzhi> I don't! But I also don't particularly care about the law :V So probably not the best choice for a stand-in.
* Utus gives you a 'you're not helping' look.
<Katenzhi> (Oh, shoot, ww)
<Katenzhi> ( D:)
<Jimba> (Go with it :))
<Llillilli> (NO TAKE BACKSIES)
<Utus> Very well. Please wait outside while we confer, and then our agents will proceed with their investigation into the issue. Don't mess up my office while you wait.
* Utus will get some other of the staff around to keep an eye on the two and make sure they don't start another brawl in his waiting room.
<Bohin> Thank you for hearing my claim.
* Bohin departs.
<Jimba> We'll get it sorted.
* Jimba tries to look reassuring to Bohin.
* Fono will nod and leave the room.
<Veznara> (Can I get information of where the claim is, and bring out the maps?)
<Veznara> (Or, you know, be ready to do that when Utus asks)
* Junan wishes he was as drunk as Katenzhi
* Daifan will let themselves be collected and go and sit in their corner for the moment
<Utus> All right, let's find this guy's claim and see what it looks like.
<Katenzhi> Probably mostly dirt, if I had to guess.
* Veznara nods and goes to get the maps
<Junan> This feels pointless. Regardless of what is ruled, it wont resolve anything
<Llillilli> Probably not.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Utus> We can't solve their family problems, but at least we need to make an effort to address the land issue.
<Jimba> Yeah. Not to speak out of turn, but whose great idea was it to split their land without an easement?
<AshnabisNarrator> After a bit of staring and poking at the maps, the dispute seems to be that there are two non-contiguous patches of land in the rocky uplands south of Timiil, ancestrally claimed and worked by the Lentus, mostly for goat pasture.
<AshnabisNarrator> In between them is a third, narrow patch, which was claimed by Fono eight years ago at the time of his marriage to Tusommi Lentu, also used for goatherding.
<Veznara> (Is there any alternative route between them? I'm guessing not...)
<AshnabisNarrator> That land is craggy, rocky, and hard to negotiate, but it seems like there's some sort of earthen path that crosses through it. You don't know the specific topography out there but it's entirely possible that there isn't a ready alternative.
<Jimba> Seriously, who did this platting?
* Jimba sighs.
<Veznara> Jimba, you already know Bohin of the Lentu?
<Utus> It was before my time, but it appears that the Lentus didn't considerably object to it at the time of the claim, as far as I can tell.
<Daifan> probably because of the wife.... as the children form the marrrigage would have been lentus
<Jimba> Yeah, I know Bohin. I'm friends with he and his wife.
* Jimba nods at Daifan.
<Daifan> but if that is not how their father feels now... it is a different matter
<Jimba> Yeah, it's another cultural issue. His name...he might be figuring the kids' relations differently, with his wife gone.
<Daifan> if he plans to adpot them.... of if they only do things differenlty where he is from.
* Daifan shrugs
<Jimba> I needed to go out and talk to Liraula anyway.
<Utus> Probably the best solution is to take a walk over there - it's only a mile or so. See the lay of the land for yourselves, and maybe some solution will appear that isn't obvious on paper.
<Junan> So do the legacy rights matter in this case? How is this supposed to be resolved?
<Veznara> (I'd like to make a History roll to see if there's a general precedent about access rights in Ombesh law)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, go ahead)
<Jimba> Right, what Junan said. What is the legal ruling if it's like it seems?
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Veznara> (Well that sucked)
<Jimba> (Any other skill that might work for that? Just from working in the office and all?)
<AshnabisNarrator> You're no expert on this aspect of history, Veznara, but you know it differs a lot by place and time. Old Imperial law did have the concept of common property.
* Veznara frowns
<AshnabisNarrator> (hmm, not really any other skill I can think of. You guys are not experts on ancient law, if indeed this is even a legal matter.)
<Jimba> (Okie doke)
<Veznara> I'm sorry, Commissioner. I'm trying to think of a legal precedent on access rights, but I'm afraid I don't know either way.
<Jimba> Again, it just seems a poor idea to have split up their lands.
<Jimba> If it's a claim issue through the office, though, maybe there's something we can do.
<Junan> lets walk out there, get soaked and be miserable, and maybe something will come to us
<Junan> the soon and faster done the better
* Jimba nods.
<Veznara> We'll be setting a legal precedent.
<Jimba> I can be ready to head out in a few.
* Daifan nods
<Jimba> Meet on the road out of town?
<Veznara> In half an hour?
<Utus> There isn't really a set precedent on this. The law, such as it is, is not well-defined in such cases. Obviously we want to uphold the claim that was made, if possible. But we also don't want to anger the Aummesh so seriously that they cause greater problems.
<Utus> They have their own traditions that are upheld by their reckoners, and even a small dispute like this could escalate, given lineage elders are already involved.
<Junan> fine... fine
* Junan looks at the map quickly, eying for claims top and bottom of the split that could give a path bypassing the strip
<Jimba> So our orders are to...?
<Katenzhi> See if we can work a miracle.
<Katenzhi> Man, I hate walking...
<Utus> Try to resolve the dispute in a way that satisfies both parties, or at least doesn't anger them more.
<Llillilli> That doesn't seem likely
<Jimba> Well, we'll see what we can do.
<Llillilli> but I guess you did say 'try'
* Llillilli shrugs
* Jimba nods politely and will turn to go.
<Jimba> See folks in a half hour.
* Junan nods
* Veznara nods, and goes to prepare
* Llillilli will go get her armor, etc...
* Daifan will get into their clumsy armor and dig out their umbrella for all the good it will do :x
* Junan heads off to get his skin filled with something to make the trip less horrible and meet up with folks
<Veznara> (Do I have time to ask quickly at the temple about this, and any recent CB babies? If not, that can wait.)
* Jimba will get his light armor and machete, various other equipment.
<AshnabisNarrator> I don't object but you are supposed to be meeting in half an hour, so probably not.
<Veznara> (When we get back, maybe, then)

The group set off with Fono to the disputed land claim


* Junan waits at the meeting spot, wet miserable, and taking swigs of his skin
* Katenzhi will offer Junan some from hers.
<AshnabisNarrator> All right, so your plan is to go out to Fono's lands?
* Fono is waiting to go with you to the claim.
<Jimba> (To start with, yeah)
<Katenzhi> ("Plan")
<AshnabisNarrator> Fono will also be heading that way since that's where he lives, after all. Bohin will presumably be heading back to Timiil.
<Katenzhi> (How often do they have to use the goat path? Is it like a daily thing or just seasonally?)
* Veznara is wearing well-fitting and new looking armor, and a solidly waterproof cloak
* Daifan is somewht envious of both ;p
<Fono> (you could ask Fono that)
<Jimba> So, how often do the Lentu use the goat path?
<Junan> Somebody's been splurging
* Katenzhi is grudgingly wearing her armor, but seems unfazed by the pouring rain.
<Jimba> Or attempt to, for now?
<Veznara> (Now that we're up close, can I see the name on the bustul?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (make a Perception roll, unless you're just going to stare right at it up close)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 18 ].
<Fono> Often. Not every day, but several times a month. They take their goats back and forth to graze.
<Jimba> Was it much of a problem before?
<Daifan> ...Does this interfere wth your herds?
<AshnabisNarrator> The bustul reads 'Tusumbi'.
<Fono> Well... I didn't like it, and yes, it does - it's not like their goats stop eating things or humping things on the way there and back. My wife thought it was worth putting up with that, since they were her relatives.
<Veznara> (But the wife's name was Tusommi, correct?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (that was what was said, yes)
<Veznara> Do they not send herders along with the animals?
<Fono> They do, but they treat the path like it's common ground. They don't act with respect for my land.
<Fono> Anyway most of them are morons >.>
<Llillilli> Are they littering?
<Fono> They just think they can do whatever they want, because they say it's tradition.
<Veznara> Mmmm.
<Fono> It's tradition to use that path. It's tradition to have the children go with their mother's lineage. It's tradition to ... ugh :/
* Daifan glances at him.
<Daifan> Hmm.
<Veznara> We didn't have a chance to say anything in the office, Fono; but please accept our condolences on your loss.
<Fono> thank you :(
<Jimba> Yes, I'm sorry.
<Veznara> Your wife must have been quite a woman.
<Fono> She was... very remarkable. I don't know what I'll do without her.
* Fono scrunches up his face to avoid starting crying in the middle of the road.
<Jimba> Not to make light, but perhaps you could lean on family in this time.
<Jimba> I'm sure they miss her, too. You have that in common.
* Fono grimaces
<Llillilli> Jimba, sometimes your family... are jerks
* Llillilli shrugs
<Jimba> Yeah, but I like you anyway.
* Jimba grins.
<Fono> They want to take the children. I can't turn to them for help, they'll say I can't take care of them properly and use that to justify why they should take them away.
<Llillilli> What??
<Jimba> Say what now?
<Llillilli> D:<
<Llillilli> That's not okay
<Llillilli> Jimba, your friend is an ass
<Jimba> Apparently.
<Fono> But what if they're right... I don't know how I can take care of them without her :(
<Jimba> There has to be some middle ground here.
<Jimba> They should help, but not, you know, take your children.
<Katenzhi> I think middle ground is the problem.
<Daifan> ...Is there a new child? >.>
<Fono> I don't have a lineage, it isn't something we do in Nulu... they have this big gang of family to help them, and I'm just one person. They think I can't support them right.
<Fono> Not and also tend goats, and also manage the garden, and everything.
* Fono glances at Daifan.
* Katenzhi raises an eyebrow at Daifan
<Fono> There is a corpseborn child, the priests are tending to it.
* Fono says quietly
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> It will be well cared for.
<Daifan> I see
<Llillilli> ...
<Katenzhi> How many children do you have?
<Fono> Two, a girl and a boy. Perda and Gesa.
<Veznara> How old are they?
<Fono> Seven and four.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> They must be adorable.
* Fono manages a slight smile at that, and nods.
<Veznara> I imagine they do need attention, though.
<Fono> Perda is old enough that I can leave her to look after her brother for a short time, like this - and our dog keeps an eye on them too. but I wouldn't leave them all day.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> That's good, then.
<Jimba> I know how difficult this must be. I'm sorry.
<Veznara> How did you meet your wife? If I may ask.
* Veznara says, having just asked. :P
<Fono> We met not long after I came here. I was thinking of starting a fos farm, and she was an herbalist... she knew a lot about local plants and so on. We talked, and things progressed from there. The fos farm idea didn't quite work out, the land around there wasn't good for fos, but it's good for goats.
<Fono> She wanted to stay near her family, and I wanted to make her happy, so that's what we did.
<Veznara> So her family was important to her. Did you get to know them very well?
<Fono> They never really warmed up to me. They didn't approve of her marrying an outsider.
<Katenzhi> How did the land end up getting split in three like this?
<Fono> It was supposed to be... sort of a wedding gift for her. For us. They liked the idea back then, since it would keep the lineage together.
* Daifan nods
<Fono> It's not good land, really. They didn't need it for their own herds, just for moving them back and forth to the better grazing land.
<Veznara> I suppose they came through the path often. But did they come to visit in your home?
<Fono> Well.. my wife's parents came sometimes. To see the children, especially, once they were born. And her cousins and nephews and so on would sometimes stop in on their way, usually just expecting us to feed them some lunch or give them a drink or whatever. We aren't rich, it isn't like we can afford to feed everyone passing by >.>
<Veznara> It sounds as though they were a bit thoughtless, then. Though I'm sure they didn't mean any harm.
<Daifan> Did your children visit with them?
* Fono nods
<Fono> Yes, pretty often.
<Fono> Then things got worse after one of their goats died on our land. They accused me of killing it, but I didn't.
<Veznara> What happened?
<Fono> Goats get into stupid situations of their own making. It happens. They should have been watching them more closely.
<Veznara> I'm sure. But why would they blame you? Was it killed with a weapon or something?
<Fono> It's not my job to maintain their path and make sure it's clear and safe.
<Veznara> So it was an accident, but they blamed you for negligence?
<Jimba> Did they try to make you pay for it? Give them a goat, something like that?
<Fono> I just drove some of their herd away from mine, and one ran into some trouble and got itself killed.
<Veznara> Was this near the path, or had their herd wandered off it?
<Fono> They asked for one of my goats in trade. I only have a small herd, I can't afford to just give one away because of their own mistakes.
<Fono> Near the path, I suppose. Goats don't stay neatly in order, though.
<Llillilli> Are we here to try and settle a land claim or investigate goat death? This is getting dumb. A goat died. It happens, they need to get over it
<Jimba> She's not wrong.
<Veznara> Well, perhaps we can see where it happened when we get there.

They arrive at Fono's house and go out to look at the area


<AshnabisNarrator> https://open.spotify.com/track/4ABsqceWT8Lnz2nJJBiis2?si=Yyhi8xqhTdKWDceZP2y5yg
<AshnabisNarrator> You head west out of Kaskind along the Colony Road. But instead of heading all the way into Timiil, you turn south across country along a rocky path, heading upland. Although the distance can't be more than a mile or two it takes you quite some time to negotiate the terrain.
<AshnabisNarrator> After a while, to the southeast you can see smoke rising from the cooking fires of the Corpseborn town of Banei. The land here is harsh and scrubby, with few large trees but many boulders and large rocks strewn haphazardly across the landscape.
<AshnabisNarrator> At last you arrive at your destination, the herding cabin of Fono Serpeng. Several goats sit penned in a crude wooden corral a few dozen yards away from the cabin itself. The goat path extends east-west across the breadth of the property.
<AshnabisNarrator> As you approach, you hear the deep barking of a large dog from inside. A girl, about seven or eight, with long curly black hair runs out, followed by said dog, a hulking white hairy beast of a sort rarely seen this far south.
<AshnabisNarrator> More timidly, a young boy of perhaps four or five peers out from the door.
* Veznara smiles at them
* NPC4 is now known as Perda
* NPC5 is now known as Gesa
* Daifan hesitates very slightly at the big barky dog
* Perda is a little girl of about seven, with long curly black hair (rather tangled), wearing a simple white shift with a vest over it.
* Sentinel is now known as Musmi
* Gesa is a little boy of around four years of age, with his father's light brown hair and a grimy face that hasn't been washed in a while. He wears a plain little shift, perhaps a hand-me-down from his older sister, that is stained with mud (you hope) at the hem.
* Musmi is a big white hairy dog, at least half the size of a horse. He bounds out joyfully.
* Perda goes over to get a hug from her father now that he's back.
<Perda> Dadda, Gesa was getting into the mud, I told him not to but he did anyway >:(
<Fono> well, that's all right... mud washes off. You did a good job.
* Jimba will hold his hand out for the dog to sniff.
* Musmi goes over and sniffs you, and then licks you eagerly.
<Veznara> Hello. You must be Perda!
* Daifan wonders how anyone can stay *out* of the mud in this weather -_-
* Perda nods shyly
* Junan takes a swig of his skin, and orients himself to the direction where this path is supposed to be
* Gesa indeed sits down in one of the mud puddles near the door and will start playing in it.
<Veznara> I am Hand Veznara. And these are my friends from town. We've come with your Dadda to have a look around your land.
<Veznara> Oh, I see Gesa is playing in the mud again!
* Perda nods, but looks a little worried when you say you're a Hand.
<Jimba> Good boy. Best get used to the mud now. :)
<Perda> You can't take him, though. He's too big.
<Fono> No, no - they can't take you or Gesa, don't worry about that.
* Fono assures her.
<Veznara> Oh, no. Don't worry, I'm not here to take anyone away!
<Llillilli> <m> this time
<Veznara> We've just been sent to have a look at the goat path.
* Daifan will take a look around the scrap of land with Junan
* Fono can walk you over to that area to have a look.
* Jimba will do likewise.
* Perda takes her little brother's hand and drags him along with you, presumably not wanting to be separated from her father
<Veznara> (So, what do we see? )
<AshnabisNarrator> There's a plot of land. Looking at the map ... yup, it looks to be basically right along the goat path in between some areas designated for the Lentus. As a piece of property, it's rocky and has mostly tough grasses that grow in rocky soil. You're well out of the swamp at this elevation.
<Katenzhi> Is there any other path? Possibly around your land? Or farther from your flock?
<Daifan> have any of the other lands here been granted?
<AshnabisNarrator> Veznara, you do some checking over of the map and the property, and it all appears to be properly laid out. Most of the other land around here is not claimed, mostly, you guess, because you couldn't possibly grow fos here and it is not really good for meaningful agriculture other than perhaps a garden.
<Jimba> (And it's not currently Lentu land?)
<AshnabisNarrator> Most of the neighbouring areas to the three plots in question would be on fairly steep slopes, so not good for putting a house on. The goats could get there but people would struggle.
<Veznara> (Not much good for anything, really, then.)
<AshnabisNarrator> Legally the case seems quite straightforward. This land was granted to Fono eight years ago and is his property. The claim was mapped and filed properly.
<Veznara> (How big is the claim? And can we see his goat herd from here?)
<AshnabisNarrator> It's a decently large plot of land. You can't see the goats or the cabin from here because the land is of variable elevation.
<Veznara> (Yikes!)
<Veznara> Fono, could you show us where the accident happened?
* Veznara will keep a careful eye on the kids to make sure they don't get hurt in this dangerous area
<Jimba> It's not like this is a goat murder investigation.
* Fono can walk you along to an area where the path drops off steeply, and there are some brambles and jagged rocks.
<Veznara> Even so. I'd like to see it.
<Veznara> Hmmm. So the goat ran this way and fell over, I take it.
<Llillilli> Really?
<Llillilli> This is a waste of our time.
* Musmi looks up and barks, suddenly alert.
* Jimba will look at the dog, trying to read its body language.
* Daifan looks up also, and looks around
* Llillilli follow's Jimba's look.
<Llillilli> (follows)
* Veznara looks for the children and will draw them in to safety
<AshnabisNarrator> You see on the path back in the direction you came from ... a goat.
* Fono also looks around at whatever is disturbing the dog
<Daifan> :I
<Jimba> (Does the goat look unusual somehow?)
<Daifan> ...werent they in their pen?
<AshnabisNarrator> It appears to be ... an ordinary goat.
<Katenzhi> Guys, it's just a goat.
<Jimba> In their pen? You don't know too much about goats, do you?
<AshnabisNarrator> From over the rise, you see ... another goat.
<Katenzhi> Did you leave the gate open?
<Daifan> not really
<Fono> No...
* Daifan agrees but is still watching them
<Fono> They could have broken out on their own, I guess...
<Jimba> Goats get out, you must know this.
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, what are you doing?
<Jimba> (I take it the dog still looks upset?)
<Fono> Musmi, round them up.
* Fono tells the dog.
<Llillilli> It could beling to those otherguys.
<Fono> No, those are my goats...
* Musmi begins to dutifully do his job.
<Veznara> (Let's get away from the edge of this brambly rocky precipice, for starters...)
<Daifan> maybe they wanted to come too :p
* Jimba will try to start herding the goats back with the dog.
<AshnabisNarrator> As you head back with the goats and over the rise, you see along the path several more goats.
<AshnabisNarrator> In fact, you can see the pen in the distance is completely goat-free.
<Jimba> Okay, that seems a bit much.
<AshnabisNarrator> Make a Perception roll.
<AshnabisNarrator> (everyone can roll)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 8 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+4
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+6
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 19 ].
* Veznara is paying attention to the children, and does not notice anything else
<Junan> !roll 1d20+4
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+5
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 16 ].
<Lan_phone> !roll 1d20+3
* Daifan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 16 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, everyone else but Veznara, you see some motion behind some large rocks in the distance to the east. Junan, you definitely see that there are some human figures there, though how many you can't say.

Local thugs show up to cause trouble


<Junan> Seems you have some company Fono
<Daifan> hmm.
* Llillilli squints into the distance at the rocks.
* Fono frowns, gathering his kids closer to himself.
* Musmi barks loudly several times, but stays close to the goats.
* Llillilli draws her weapons.
<Junan> Hey there! No point in hiding, we see you! Just come out!
* Junan calls out
* Jimba will draw his machete and shield.
* Junan will step forward, still with no weapon out
* Veznara draws the children back
* Daifan will draw thier - oh wait ;p
<AshnabisNarrator> https://open.spotify.com/track/4eQLdiFdT3FCbtMafhEBuj?si=TBVsF5x_TRO2JdB2N9jdyA
* Katenzhi grabs a few doses of fos from her pouch and has them ready.
<AshnabisNarrator> Beyond the goats, you see activity from behind the rocks and several young men emerge. They appear to be Aummesh, from their garb, clothed in rough leathers and hides and bearing clubs.
<Llillilli> WHat are you doing here?
<Jimba> [in Aummesh] Greetings, friends.
* Boradein is a wiry man in his mid-twenties or so, with wavy brown hair and a scruffy beard. He has a scowl on his face, and wears a grey and green dashi and a vest.
<Jimba> Something we can help you with?
* Satsein bears a distinct resemblance to Boradein, with similar hair and colouring, although a bit more stocky and clean-shaven. He is perhaps eighteen years old, and wears a basic set of leather armor.
<Junan> These are private lands. Its polite to introduce yourselves.
<Junan> I am Junan, an Envoy
* Ommas is a short young man, probably only in his mid-teens or so, with dark brown hair in a ponytail and a medium brown complexion. He wears a flashy blue and pink dashi and a necklace of coral beads.
* Kemiir is a bit older than the others, maybe in his late twenties, and is broad-shouldered and muscular. He has brown hair and a few scars, and looks like he's been in his share of fights, as does his scuffed and stained leather armor.
<Boradein> Very well. I am Boradein of the Lentu, and this is my brother Satsein. These are our lands by custom and we insist that we be allowed to pass.
* Letsuul is a fat, bearded man in his early twenties, with long dark brown hair tied back in a knot. He looks rather nervous, and keeps shifting his weight from one foot to the other. He wears a red and black striped dashi.
<Llillilli> Why d'you need those clubs to pass? Why did you let the goats out?
<Jimba> Out of curiosity, pass to where, and to what purpose?
* Daifan would like to SM just in case these guys are lying abut why they are to cause trouble >.>
<Boradein> I don't know how the goats got out. Perhaps Fono isn't very good at his job.
<Llillilli> Perhaps you're a stinking liar!
* Llillilli snarls
<AshnabisNarrator> (this is all in Aummesh, for the record)
<Lan_phone> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Llillilli> (that's fine)
<Jimba> Hey now, no call for that.
<Daifan> (I mean, they're definitely here to cause trouble ;p)
<Jimba> No reason this can't be peaceable.
<Llillilli> It's obvious they're here to cause trouble.
<Jimba> Though my sister's point remains. Why the clubs if you're just passing through?
<Letsuul> (I'd say calling them stinking liars is a signal to roll init...)
<Satsein> Fono is the one who sold his wife's corpse to build walls to keep us out, to farm fos for rich Ombesh nobles, to serve * you*
<Satsein> So don't lecture us.
<Llillilli> Do you see any fos growing around here? In this soil? You are dumber than you look.
<Daifan> (Are we rolling init?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, let's go over to roll20 and roll initiative, since it appears that the parlay is over)

A fight breaks out and Katenzhi kills Kemiir with a bolt of lightning


* Musmi is first. He moves up and starts trying to get the goats out of the way
* Boradein ignores the dog and moves forward onto the path
<Junan> You haven't done anything yet that cant be taken back. Just walk away.
<Junan> (ill ready an action to shoot someone if they close)
* Boradein shouts, "Our quarrel is not with you. Fono, you coward come here!"
<Llillilli> I will ready an action to attack the first person within my move range who makes an aggressive move.
* Daifan is going to stay where they are and just give fortune to their allies :3
* Goat 1 will stay with Musmi. Goat 2 though, is not a fan of Junan there, and is going to try to butt him in the crotch.
<AshnabisNarrator> yay, goat attack!
* Goat 1 tries to headbutt you and misses
* Satsein will move up next to Boradein, axe drawn
* Ommas stuffs his hand in a pouch at his waist and eats something.. probably fos?
* Kemiir is going to try to hit Katenzhi with his club
<AshnabisAssistant> which probably triggers Junan to shoot him and stuff, but we'll deal with that in a minute
<AshnabisAssistant> Junan would be first, then Llillilli I think?
<Llillilli> imma get in there and hit him (17 with Daifan's bless)
<AshnabisAssistant> that'll hit him
<AshnabisAssistant> unless you are doing nonlethal (but I'm guessing you're not)
<Llillilli> (i am not)
<AshnabisAssistant> okay, you can spear him in the leg for 4 damage, and he'll yell in pain. he'll attack you instead of Katenzhi then, probably missing with his club
<Veznara> Okay. I'll consume the fos, and say "Bohin asked for an investigation - we are here at his behest."
* Goat 4 is going to try to headbutt Boradein. goats are equal opportunity assholes. And hits.
* Letsuul is not really happy with any of this and is just hanging back
* Jimba will move to here and attack Satsein (and miss)
* Musmi will continue to herd the goats away from the fracas
* Boradein will attack Jimba and miss
* Junan steps back and shoots Satsein and hits for 3
<Katenzhi> (Is it currently raining?)
<AshnabisNarrator> let's say lightly. not a downpour
* Katenzhi will cast Call Lightning. Let's get this shit started.
<AshnabisNarrator> but with your feat the spell still goes off, you missed by 7
<Llillilli> (is it chart time)
<AshnabisNarrator> but, 6 doses so it's a Table 2B roll http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Magic_rules for those who want to see how screwed Katenzhi is
<AshnabisNarrator> but honestly you are going to take the 3, which means you go back to Table 2A
<AshnabisNarrator> ok so you can choose: spell's effects are delayed 3 rounds, or next time you expend fos it takes twice normal dose. both of those are ok really. and the lady's choice is ...
<Katenzhi> I'll take the fos expenditure.
<AshnabisNarrator> ok, fine. call lightning works
<Katenzhi> Then I call lightning on Ommas.
<Junan> (its raining too... this is gonna hurt)
<Katenzhi> (yup)
<Katenzhi> Actually, she would probably attack Kemiir. He attacked her and Llillilli
<AshnabisNarrator> that makes more sense. ok roll damage.
<Katenzhi> 24. (Ouch...)
* Kemiir falls to the ground, heavily burned.
* Satsein takes one look at his crispified compatriot and then falls to his knees.
* Ommas looks at Katenzhi with ... a strange look, a mixture of fear and wonder.
<Llillilli> Welp
<Katenzhi> Are we fucking done?
* Ommas will look like he's trying to cast something, but just falls to the ground barfing in terror/failed spell rolls.
* Daifan is too a little, tbh
<Daifan> (looking at K in fear and wonder ;p)
<Daifan> (not barfing)

Aftermath of the fight


<AshnabisNarrator> In the wake of the combat, the interlopers have surrendered to you, except of course for the one who is quite deceased.
* Letsuul will go over to check on Kemiir and see that, yup, he's really super dead.
* Kemiir is now known as Fono
* Ommas is still staring at Katenzhi, between bouts of nausea, in something like adoration and awe.
* Veznara tries to shelter the children from seeing their distant cousin's smoking corpse
* Katenzhi lets the spell dissipate and looks down at the dead man.
<Satsein> I ... we didn't mean to ...
<Letsuul> You killed him :o
<Jimba> Is this what you wanted?
<Katenzhi> fuck...
<Jimba> I don't know. I think you kind of killed him.
<Jimba> You could have just talked.
* Junan just walks away from the group, slinging his bow on his shoulder, and and taking a long drink of his skin
<Katenzhi> He attacked us...
<Katenzhi> Llillilli, he attacked, us, right?
<Llillilli> Yup.
<Fono> You see, this is the kind of foolishness that these idiots bring upon themselves, trespassing on my land!
<Llillilli> I mean, not very well.
<Llillilli> But he did.
<Katenzhi> I mean...
* Jimba will try to move his head to indicate to Llillilli to take Kat a little ways away for a bit.
<Katenzhi> Fuck...
* Jimba then turns towards Fono.
<Letsuul> Look, we'll go. We just wanted to scare him off... maybe make him decide to leave and go back to Nulu or wherever.
<Llillilli> You got something stuck in your ear Jimba?
* Katenzhi turns and walks off the path to some bushes and starts puking.
* Llillilli blinks
* Jimba sighs.
<Veznara> This escalated beyond control.
<Letsuul> Let us take his body to the church... maybe they can bring him back.
<Jimba> Well, it escalated.
<Veznara> It is up to all of us to see that it does not escalate further.
<Jimba> Yes, take your kinsman and see what can be done.
<Boradein> This is not over, Fono.
* Daifan sighs
<Llillilli> It is for that guy
* Letsuul will gather up Kemiir's remains and try to get the others to go with him. He seems to be (sort of?) the voice of reason among these morons.
<Jimba> Has this feud not cost enough already?
<Jimba> Keep your mouth shut and leave.
<Boradein> You can't keep the kids away from their grandmother. You can't keep their mother's body in an Ombesh temple.
<Boradein> This isn't about the fucking goats.
<Letsuul> Shut up already! Just go with us, it's already enough trouble.
* Letsuul tells him.
<Boradein> This is about our rights!
<Veznara> And what about the children?
<Jimba> Right now, it's about you leaving.
<Llillilli> Unless you want someone else to get hurt.
<Veznara> How is it for them, do you think? They lost their mother, and now their cousins are fighting with their only living parent.
* Daifan sighs and gives Veznara a 'dont' feed the trolls' look
* Ommas manages to pull himself together somewhat and stand up
<Boradein> You have my auntie's body, a corpse, in the service of your temple. How does that make you feel?
* Boradein shouts at Veznara
* Ommas still looks pale and sick but will also join in the "let's just go" movement
<Jimba> Are you that eager to join the Ancestors as well?
<Fono> I needed the money to care for the children you claim to be so concerned about! Should I let them go hungry instead?
* Fono shouts back
<Jimba> (To Fono)
<Jimba> Stop talking.
<Jimba> Get the goats.
<Jimba> Yelling isn't going to solve this.
* Fono falls silent, and will work at gathering up the goats, angrily.
<Satsein> Brother, brother ... maybe they're right. Let's leave this. If you want to see the children again ... and for grandmother.
* Satsein tries to talk to Boradein.
* Daifan will drift over to check on katehzhi
* Junan finds a comfortable rock and sits to finish the last of his drink
* Boradein kicks a rock angrily.
* Katenzhi is done puking, but still huddled by the bush.
<Daifan> ... are you alright?
* Ommas will try to drag Boradein away, glancing back over his shoulder at Katenzhi some more.
<Satsein> Come on, let's ... let's go ... are we done here?
* Jimba will keep an eye on them until they're gone.
* Satsein seems to ask to no one in particular.
<Katenzhi> He attacked us. He attacked Llillilli. I didn't mean to...
* Jimba stands with his machete and shield ready to resume violence if necessary.
<Boradein> You've made a mistake today. Lentus don't forget.
* Boradein says, allowing himself to be dragged off.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> The magic was stronger than you expected?
<Katenzhi> It's raining... I forgot...
* Veznara waits calmly for the Lentus to leave.
* Jimba will put away his weapon and shield once they're gone and go to check on Katenzhi.
* Daifan nods
<Jimba> Hey, hey, you didn't do anything wrong.
* Katenzhi will stand up shakily
<Jimba> They used their weapons, you used yours.
<Fono> I'm taking my goats back to their pen.
* Katenzhi nods at Jimba but still seems dazed.
<Daifan> what your cousin said is right....
<Veznara> Will you still be safe here, now?
* Fono will, with the help of his dog and his kids, guide the goats in a semi-orderly fashion back to their enclosure.
<Jimba> I have a feeling we'll need to continue on to see what can be done. Will you be all right here alone?
<Jimba> (to Fono)
<Fono> I don't know. I don't think they'll come back, but there will be consequences from this :/
<Katenzhi> I'm so sorry...
<Jimba> Of course. There always are.
<Jimba> We'll let you know if you need to know anything.
<Daifan> there would have been regardless of what had happened today
* Jimba will put an arm around Katenzhi.
<Llillilli> before this nonsense I was gonna ask if you could charge them to use your path
<Fono> Maybe you can talk to Bohin and the others... talk to them about what happened, so they understand why - that it was their own sons and nephews' fault.
<Daifan> mmhmm.
<Jimba> I'll be talking to Bohin regardless.
<Llillilli> oh yeah they'll get talked to
<Jimba> It's all right, Kat.
* Jimba says quietly and, hopefully, comfortingly.
* Katenzhi nods.
* Junan , finished his skin, stands
<Junan> well, I need a drink, and I don't think we can fuck things up here any more, so lets just go
* Veznara nods solemnly
* Junan starts marching back to town
<Katenzhi> I messed up everything...
<Daifan> it was already messed up
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, so where are you going / what are you doing now?
<Veznara> It wasn't your fault that the confrontation started.
<AshnabisAssistant> If you want to talk to Bohin, he's in Timiil
<Veznara> We must warn the Commissioner at once.
* Junan stops and turns around
* Katenzhi is going back to the boat to rest and think and beat herself up some more.
* Junan is about to say something, then just shrugs, turns around and keeps walking
* Jimba is headed into Timiil, still.
<Veznara> What is it?
<Jimba> Kat, you want to head back to town?
<Llillilli> Uh we probably should tell the people we actually work for first, Jimba...
<Jimba> Tell them what? That there was violence? He'll still be dead later, and talking to Bohin, the head of their lineage, now, might head off further injury.
<Katenzhi> Yeah...
<Jimba> You guys can head back, if you want.
* Junan is now known as Junan_AFK
* Daifan eyes the fires of toadtown a bit wistfully
<Veznara> Yes. It's important that Bohin hear what happened too. You'll be okay? He seemed to be a friend of yours.
<Llillilli> Or maybe it won't... I mean I can tell the boss. Sure.
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, so we have Jimba (and anyone else?) going to talk to Bohin in Timiil at the Lentu lineage house, and Veznara (and anyone else?) going back to Utus to report.
* Daifan will not be going to an aumesh lineage house, so uch, so may as well go back to report
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, and Katenzhi's going back to the boat and ... Llillilli - you're going to stick with Veznara?
<Llillilli> (yeah someone's got to keep an eye on her)
<Llillilli> (make sure she doesn't steal any babies on the way to the parking lot)
<AshnabisAssistant> (I think Junan was going back to Kaskind too)
<Veznara> (I actually have to go in a bit, so I don't think i have time for a full reporting scene right now)
<AshnabisAssistant> (although if we want to not have Jimba go on his own, we can have Junan go with Jimba, I'm sure Terry won't mind too much ;)
<AshnabisNarrator> (ok, well we can assume you report, I don't know if Utus will have much to say other than 'Oh, shit.')
<AshnabisAssistant> (either way is fine with me)
<Llillilli> (cool cool)
<Daifan> (I'm p. sure Junan just wants to go get drunk)
<Llillilli> (I think Junan is busy regretting his life choices)
<Veznara> (Junan can give an exact recounting, right?)
<AshnabisAssistant> (yes)
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, Jimba, why don't you go into Timiil and talk to Bohin. You probably will be OK.
<Jimba> (If not, low-level characters are easy to roll up ;))

Jimba goes into Timiil to explain things to Bohin


<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba, you head into Timiil. Although nobody here could even really know what just happened, it still feels a bit like all eyes are upon you.
<AshnabisNarrator> You know well where the Lentu lineage house is and make your way there.
<AshnabisNarrator> It's not hard to track down Bohin - he has a small, well, not quite an office, but whatever passes for a lineage elder's parlor among the Aummesh.
<AshnabisNarrator> He's sitting in there with an older woman who you don't know.
<Jimba> Greetings, Bohin. I'm sorry to bother you further, and moreso now.
* Shekkushna is a white-haired woman, perhaps around seventy, her skin wrinkled with age and hard work. She wears a brown and white checked dashi tied around her waist, and a second pale blue cloth wrapped about her shoulders and upper body for warmth.
<Bohin> Jimba, I ... what are you doing here?
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> One of your kinsmen is dead.
<Jimba> I'm sure you'll hear soon.
<Bohin> One of my kinsmen? What are you talking about?
<Jimba> A group of them attacked me and my compatriots.
<Jimba> In the fray, one of them was struck down.
<Bohin> They did ... who did, what, where?
<Jimba> Five of the Lentu, young men mostly, came to intimidate Fono. We told them to leave for the time being. They ignored us and attacked us.
* Shekkushna looks concerned
<Jimba> I'm sorry.
<Shekkushna> Who was it?
<Bohin> They ... goddamn it, Boradein.
<Jimba> (I as a player saw his name, but they didn't exactly introduce themselves, right?)
<AshnabisAssistant> (no, not really.)
<AshnabisNarrator> Boradein introduced himself, and his brother Satsein
<Jimba> Boradein was one of them, but not the one killed.
<Jimba> (Yeah, I just read back. Sorry, took me a sec to find it.)
<AshnabisNarrator> None of the others were ever named.
<Jimba> He and his brother were named to us, but neither of them were the slain party.
<Bohin> Who ... was ... killed....?
* Bohin asks methodically.
<Jimba> Again, I am sorry. It was an escalation, but a provoked one.
<Shekkushna> can you say what he looked like, the one who died?
<Jimba> Late twenties, muscular, a few scars.
<Jimba> Looked to be more of a fighter.
<Bohin> Hmmm ... not one of ours.
<Bohin> ... Kemiir.
<Bohin> It must be.
<Shekkushna> One of Boradein's friends. Not a Lentu, then.
<Bohin> A Yetsner.
* Shekkushna sounds a little relieved, although still concerned.
<Jimba> (Do I know that lineage?)
<Jimba> Ah. I apologize for my mistake.
<Jimba> I assumed they were all of your people.
<Shekkushna> Just another young fool :/
<AshnabisNarrator> Yes, you know of the Yetsners. Probably the biggest of the lower-class Aummesh lineages. Lots of them are in the Black Stork.
<Bohin> I don't think Kemiir was one of Liraula's.
<Bohin> You'd need to ask her.
<Jimba> Well, I need to speak to her anyway.
<Bohin> Boradein and Satsein are though. At least sometimes.
* Jimba nods.
<Shekkushna> This is just what I expected... hot-headed young men going off to start a fight, they should know what could happen :/
<Jimba> So they took this upon themselves?
<Bohin> Auntie, auntie, it's all right.
<Bohin> Well I certainly didn't tell them to!
<Bohin> But ... I'm afraid I was a bit heated when I came back here. I may have said a few intemperate things.
<Bohin> They may have gotten it into their heads to come out here.
<Jimba> I apologize for my manners, ma'am. I'm Jimba of the Ghughife.
<Bohin> Boradein has never been known for his good judgement, you know that, auntie.
<Shekkushna> It's not all right, this will mean Fono takes the children and goes, for fear of his safety... and he'd have every reason to :(
<Shekkushna> Not only losing my daughter but my grandchildren as well...
<Bohin> Jimba, this is Shekkushna, mother of Tusommi, and my aunt. She is the matriarch of our clan.
* Shekkushna nods in greeting
<Jimba> I am sorry for your loss, ma'am.
<Jimba> And the subsequent quarrel.
<Bohin> I shouldn't have gotten you involved in all this, Jimba. You don't deserve to have blood on your hands over this.
<Jimba> No one does, Bohin, and hopefully it can be resolved without more.
<Bohin> Fono and the children ... they're safe?
<Jimba> They're fine. Shaken, I'm sure, but all right.
<Bohin> Jimba, you understand, far more important to me than the land is the children.
<Bohin> They deserve a lineage, a name, an identity. Not to be hauled off to Nulu, to never speak the language of their cradle.
<Shekkushna> She should have married one of our local boys, then we wouldn't have this problem. They understand about family.
* Bohin nods solemnly.
<Jimba> It's true their father has different ways.
<Jimba> If I may ask, what would your preferred outcome for all of this be?'
<Bohin> I ... would prefer for Fono to remain where he is, and for him to agree to the children to live with us, or with him but visit us often. But I don't see any way for that to happen.
<Shekkushna> The children stay and are allowed to visit with us and learn our tongue. Fono ... I know he wants what is good for them. He's not a bad man - just not of our ways.
<Bohin> But my kinsmen, some of the young ones, as you've seen, some of them don't see it that way. They want the land and they want Fono to suffer.
<Bohin> That's my concern, not yours.
<Shekkushna> He is so concerned about his land and his rights... more concerned about that than treating us like family.
<Jimba> Why do they hate him so much?
<Jimba> I get that his ways conflict with yours, and that exacerbates things, but this seems to have gone further than that.
<Jimba> They showed up with weapons.
<Bohin> They shouldn't have done that. And they certainly should have known better than to attack you, no matter what.
<Shekkushna> There are traditions - paths of travel, rights of visitors and guests... he doesn't abide by those, or only did grudgingly because my daughter made him.
<Jimba> I wonder if it might not be possible, in light of things, to rearrange the land holdings so that the passage isn't a problem?
<Bohin> You have to understand, we're all grieving, for Tusommi. But to lose the children, on top of that, and with the new one off to the temple here in Timiil, and Tusommi's body rendered by the temple in Kaskind ... it's not about the land for me.
<Jimba> Rights of visitors and guests...seems less likely at this point.
<Jimba> I know, but it is to Fono.
<Bohin> I'd be happy to help find Fono more land. We never got to that point of discussion.
<Jimba> Something concrete he can hold onto.
* Jimba nods.
<Bohin> But he has to let the children know their family.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> I'll speak to him further, see what I can do.
<Jimba> I'm concerned about further attacks.
<Shekkushna> We can try to calm down the young men. Let them see that this isn't the way to solve the problem.
<Bohin> From Fono? I don't see that. He's no warrior. And I will speak to mine. They will be made to understand.
<Jimba> That's what I mean. I worry he's in further danger.
<Jimba> If you can keep people like Boradein from causing more trouble, there might still be a reasonable solution in all this.
<Bohin> No. You have my word that he will not be attacked or injured.
<Jimba> Thank you.
<Jimba> Two more things, one related and one mostly not.
<Bohin> I was angry at the land registry, I grant that. But if I had wanted vengeance on Fono, well, you know that I would not have been at the registry in the first place, right? You know I could have done that.
<Jimba> I know.
<Bohin> Ever since my own death, my taste for vengeance has been greatly abated.
<Jimba> I don't doubt you could have ended this a very different way already.
<Jimba> I appreciate your restraint, in the face of your anger and upset.
<Bohin> What are your two things, then?
<Jimba> Do you know where your wife is right now, and can you direct me to the Yetsner lineage house?
<Jimba> I have more things to speak of while I'm in town.
<Jimba> (Though I assume those are for later :))
<Bohin> Liraula is on the flagship, I think, but here in port. Lots of work to do after a storm, as always.
<Jimba> Of course.
<Bohin> As for the Yetsners, they have several lineage houses, but if you want to talk to the elder, well that's Gelidaur, and he doesn't stay there usually.
<Bohin> He lives with his wife Etsuka. You know them?
<Jimba> (Do I? I don't see them on my NPC list or anything, unless I'm blind.)
<AshnabisNarrator> (No, but you might have heard of them if you have K:local. They're super old, like as old or older than Umba)
<Jimba> (I do have that.)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 10 ].
<Jimba> (Not so much, it would seem)
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, that's fine. You know where they live, but not much else)
<Jimba> I know of them, but I'm not sure I've ever met them. Hell of a way to make a first impression, but nothing for it.
<Bohin> I'll reach out to him.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Sorry again for your loss, and all this trouble.
<Bohin> I'm not sure whether they'll bring him back. They may. I can't speak to how the Yetsners make these decisions.
* Jimba nods again.
<Jimba> I guess we'll see.
<Jimba> Thank you for your time.
* Jimba will make his polite goodbyes.

Solos

Daifan talks to Chimi and Idovo and they decide to inquire about the corpseborn child


<Chimi> (you want to talk to them that evening over dinner/evening relaxation time?)
<Daifan> (Yes that makes sense)
* Chimi is doing some mending, while Idovo more-or-less patiently picks over some dried beans so they can go in to soak overnight and be part of tomorrow's dinner.
* Daifan is cleaning mud off their armour from the trek this afternoon
<Daifan> so... not that it isn't nice to sit quietly with you both.... but how were your days?
<Chimi> busy... new people in town means lots of people realizing they need new wardrobes to live here.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I am sure the rain is not helping...
* Chimi nods
<Idovo> I mostly went fishing - found a spot under a tree, so I wouldn't get too wet, at least.
* Daifan has also hung up their work clothes in the hopes that theyll be less damp by tomorrow :|
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> any luck?
<Idovo> Yes, but since I think everyone's a little sick of fish around here, I traded them for these beans.
<Chimi> are they magic beans? did you trade our dinner for some magic beans, baby?
<Idovo> hmph. I'll have you know, I have slightly more sense than that.
* Daifan frowns a bit at th mention of magic, but their expression softens at the gentle teasing
<Idovo> plus, I can make a good bean stew out of these. at least it'll be something different for a few days.
* Chimi nods
<Daifan> it was a good thought. I'm sure someone out there is sick of beans...
<Daifan> or other things
<Daifan> My day was... maybe not so great.
<Idovo> what happened?
<Daifan> we got sucked into a stupid dispute at work
<Chimi> oh?
<Daifan> An Ombesh man married an Aumesh woman, but she dies and there's all kinds of stupid trouble with her lineage, because there's land involved, and children...
* Chimi nods sympathetically, while Idovo sighs.
<Daifan> She died in childbirth, and they are upset about that too - I had the impression the husband maybe did not want to give up the babye.
<Idovo> :/
<Chimi> I didn't hear about a corpseborn baby...
<Daifan> Well...
<Daifan> I don't think it went to the hand at the temple.... maybe in Timiil?
<Chimi> oh, in Timiil.
<Daifan> yes. I think the lineage took care of that, and not the father.
<Daifan> So... I don't know where the baby is now... It would be something to ask Prickles
* Chimi nods
<Daifan> if one was interested >.>
<Idovo> ... did they pick a home for it yet?
<Daifan> I haven't heard
* Idovo glances at Chimi
<Chimi> ...what?
<Idovo> well...
<Chimi> you want to ask for it?
* Daifan quietly scrubs their armour O:3
<Idovo> ... maybe... if you did...
<Chimi> I don't know...
<Idovo> who knows when we would get another chance?
<Chimi> well... that's true. it doesn't happen every day. but what if they want the baby to go to Aummesh corpseborn?
<Daifan> well
<Daifan> you can still ask
<Idovo> you think that sort of thing matters to them? it's corpseborn, so who cares at that point?
<Daifan> also, that. I mean
<Daifan> We could stil teach is Aumesh too, or someone could
<Chimi> I think it matters to some people.
<Daifan> I think it does, too
<Chimi> but... if we do this, you're taking care of at least half the work. More than half, unless you get a real job.
* Chimi says to him
<Daifan> but if you want a baby, now, and if there isn't another home foe it, you could still ask
<Daifan> it would be a lot of work
<Idovo> Yes, I promise I'll feed it and bathe it and take it for walks ;)
* Daifan agrees, remembering their more chaotic home in Daligash
<Chimi> it's not a puppy :p
* Idovo looks a bit more serious
* Daifan bites their lip and lets Idovo speak for himself.
<Idovo> I know. I know it's a lot of work. But ... I want to ask, at least. If it doesn't work out, then it wasn't fated to be this time, but I want to raise a family with you.
<Daifan> :3
<Idovo> so... we might as well try.
<Daifan> (do either of them speak Aumesh?)
<Chimi> (good question. probably Chimi does, she's been there longer.)
<Chimi> ... all right. we can try.
* Idovo smiles and gets up to give her a big hug, which she tolerates ;)
<Idovo> what do we do? I guess talk to the priestesses in Timiil?
<Idovo> Daifan, you know a Hand priestess, right? Maybe you can ask her to put in a good word for us? if that sort of thing makes a difference...
<Daifan> Well... I don't think that woudl be helpful in Timiil
<Idovo> :/
<Daifan> I think it might just cause more trouble, if they do care about the baby stayong ith someone AUmesh :p
<Daifan> which... I don't think they will. Toadtown people might care more, I don't know.
* Idovo nods
* Daifan looks at Chimi.
<Daifan> You speak Aumesh, right?
<Chimi> Yes, some. I mean, it's not perfect, but I can get by.
<Daifan> That's probably good. Mine is about the same, but I could go with you if you wanted...
<Daifan> I think you should talk to Prickles though
<Daifan> She might eb able to tell you what to say and not to say.
<Daifan> or if you even should go yourselves and not just let her handle it.
* Chimi nods
<Chimi> It's probably a good idea to talk to her regardless. Just so we know - maybe she's already heard they're making other arrangements or something.
<Chimi> I just don't want you to get your hopes up too much...
* Chimi says to Idovo
* Idovo nods
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> it is probaly good for her to know you are looking for a baby, even if this one is already spoken for.
<Idovo> I won't. do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
* Idovo asks Daifan
<Idovo> I mean... I'm not picky. But if it's a girl she's going to have the prettiest dresses :3
<Chimi> Hopes. Lower.
* Chimi points out to him.
<Idovo> yes ma'am :3
* Daifan smiles at that
<Daifan> I don't know, anyway.
* Idovo nods
<Idovo> we'll go... should we go tonight? what if we wait until mornign and someone got there before us?
<Daifan> maybe.... I dn't know who else knows, but why wait?
<Chimi> all right. I guess it's not too late to go to talk to Prickles tonight. She's probably still awake.
<Daifan> ...do you want me to go with you?
<Idovo> do you want to? I mean... you're part of the household too, maybe it shows we have enough adults around to help take care of it well?
<Daifan> okay...
* Idovo smiles
<Chimi> All right. I know you're not going to sleep tonight unless we get to talk to her, at least ;)
* Chimi sets aside her mending and will get ready to go talk to the mayor of Toadtown
* Idovo was already ready to go from the minute it was suggested ;)
* Daifan sets aside their cleaning and will find somethihg else to cover their hair

Daifan, Chimi, and Idovo go talk to Useir, who asks for a bribe in return for getting them the baby


<Chimi> (You can head to Useir's home, which is - by Banei's standards - quite nice, built up on stilts to keep it out of the damp and allow air to circulate)
<Daifan> (Do we knock? how does this work :x)
* Useir is sitting out on the covered porch, with a fan to wave away insects. She is in her late 30s, tall and strong-featured, with thick, wavy black hair.
<Useir> Ah... good evening.
* Useir says when she sees you standing there.
<Useir> Is something the matter?
<Daifan> No, not at all
<Daifan> (Do we call her mayor?)
<Useir> (at least at first, if you're trying to be polite, that would make sense. you don't have to call her that every time you speak to her or anything.)
<Daifan> (okay)
<Daifan> We had something we wanted to ask you about, Mayor...
<Useir> Very well... come up and tell me what's on your minds.
<Daifan> Thank you.
* Daifan ushers their friends forward ;p
<Idovo> Yes, thank you.
<Idovo> Um, well... We heard that there was a corpseborn baby, in Timiil.
<Useir> Yes, there is. What about it?
<Chimi> We are hoping to bring a child into our family.
<Idovo> So... if it's possible, anyway, we wanted to express our interest.
* Daifan nods
<Useir> I see.
<Useir> It isn't up to me, you understand - the Hand will decide where the child is placed. But I can have some influence on their decision.
* Daifan nods
<Idovo> Do you know if anyone else has asked about it?
<Daifan> Yes... We thought it would be better to ask you what to do.
<Useir> There are some other households that have made it known they are interested, if and when a child needs a place.
* Idovo nods, trying not to look too disappointed.
<Useir> But none that have specifically inquired about this child, at least yet.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I heard about it through work
* Useir nods
<Chimi> How do they decide?
<Useir> There are plenty of factors... who has been waiting longer, who has a good stable home to offer the child, considerations like the prospective parents' language or personal history...
* Daifan nods
<Useir> I could lend my aid to your case - for a certain consideration.
<Idovo> What sort of consideration?
<Daifan> oh?
* Useir makes the traditional 'gimme the cashhhh' gesture.
<Daifan> I suppose it would demonstrate our financial stability
* Daifan says dryly
<Useir> You understand perfectly.
* Chimi frowns slightly
<Chimi> We're not wealthy people... we have enough to get by, but not a lot extra.
<Useir> Mm, unfortunate.
<Daifan> Mmhmm, I'm sure.
<Idovo> Can we.. discuss it for a moment?
<Useir> Take your time.
<Daifan> Well.... I had been prepared to say things about how we are committed to contributing to this communicty... how we have made an efffort to learn the language, how Spider works in town here.... But I guess maybe that's not what matters :p
* Idovo will go back down the steps with you two and talk privately.
* Daifan looks like they have more to say, but will go 'consult' >:|
<Daifan> I should be surprised.
<Idovo> <w> Look... she already said it isn't her who makes the decision. So what if we just go to the temple directly? I know she could try to work against us if she wants, but more likely I think she's just trying to wring out a few coins.
<Chimi> <w> I'm not giving her a single fang >:(
* Daifan nods to chimi
<Daifan> <w> I wouldn't even trust her to acually speak for us if we did... she probably asks the same form everyone
* Idovo nods
<Idovo> <w> Or even... maybe if we were Aummesh she'd say okay, but since we're not, she's going to discourage us by asking for payment.
<Chimi> <w> I think you're right, we should just go to the temple ourselves. We don't know whether she would even do anything if we did pay her off.
* Idovo nods
<Chimi> <w> but let's politely say thank you to her - we don't need to get on her bad side.
* Daifan nods as well
* Chimi will march back up the steps, then, followed by Idovo.
<Daifan> <w> If this does not go welll.. I will talk to Hand Veznara about a child form the temple
* Chimi nods
<Chimi> Mayor, thank you very much for your offer to help our case. I'm afraid we must decline, but we mean no offense by it.
* Daifan trails back up also, and will try and trust themself not to say anything too rude :p
<Chimi> I hope that you'll keep us in mind if further such opportunities become available.
<Useir> Certainly. It's good to have young people who want to start a family in our community.
* Idovo forces a smile
<Chimi> Enjoy the rest of your evening.
* Chimi says as politely as possible.
* Daifan keeps their mouth shut :p
* Useir nods and waves to you as you leave
<Daifan> ugh
<Idovo> Well... I'm ready to walk to Timiil tonight. What about you two?
<Daifan> yes
* Chimi nods
<Chimi> Yes, now it's a matter of principle :p
* Daifan nods to her

The three set off to Timiil and talk to the priestess there, who gives them the baby and a goat


<Chimi> (okay, you can set off on the road to Timiil - it's not super far, you can probably get there in, idk, 30-45 minutes I'm guessing, even in the rain and dark.)
* Daifan is just resigned to being soaked for ever
<Chimi> (You can slog through the mud to get there, and make your way to the temple)
* Useir is now known as Priestess
* Priestess will open the door to you, a bit surprised to see you here this time of night.
<Daifan> (have we picked a spokes person?)
<Idovo> (probably - who do you want it to be?)
<Daifan> (either me or Chimi)
<Chimi> (sorry, was conferring briefly with Steve about priestesses ;)
<Chimi> (how about you, then)
<Daifan> (sure, pick the pc, I see hwo it is ;)
<Chimi> (heh)
<Daifan> Good evening Hand... we are sorry for the late hour, but the matter was important to us...
* Daifan says in Aumesh
<Priestess> Certainly... please come in out of the rain. I am Hand Omoshla.
* Omoshla is a rotund older woman, probably in her sixties, with short cropped hair and a ready smile.
<Daifan> Thank you Hand Omoshla
<Omoshla> How can I help you?
<Daifan> We came to put in our case for the child we have heard is in your care...
<Omoshla> Ah.. the poor little one, yes.
* Daifan nods
<Omoshla> Are you ... well. Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourselves?
* Omoshla glances at the three of you, trying to figure out how this works.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> We are a household... Chimi and Idovo are a couple, and I live with them - Really the child would go to them, but I am them to help with whatever they would need too
<Daifan> Chimi works in Banei, as a seamstress
* Chimi nods
<Daifan> Idovo is a fisherman... I work for the Land Registry
<Omoshla> Ah... that's a very good job, for one of you.
<Daifan> Idovo's job is more flexible - it means he would be able to be home and care for the child more directly
<Chimi> We work hard. And we would raise the child in a good home.
* Daifan nods
* Idovo nods
<Daifan> Chimi and I would make sure that there is money enough.
<Omoshla> Do you have a house in Banei?
<Daifan> yes
<Omoshla> Well, you speak Aummesh - that's good. How long have you been here?
<Daifan> (I forget how long she's been here)
<Chimi> Coming up on a year for me.
<Daifan> Idovo and I both arrived around 6 months ago.
* Chimi is only slightly stretching things - it's probably been more like 9 months? but close enough...
* Omoshla nods
<Daifan> so, you can see, we have tried very hard to become part of the community here
<Daifan> We would make sure that the child understood the local ways here, too
* Daifan looks at the other two
<Daifan> but I think we would do that anyway, no matter where it came from
<Omoshla> Oh yes. I see that :) I think that's very good - so you would teach the child Aummesh and Ombesh as well, it's good that she would grow up with a foot in each world. I think that will be useful, further down the road.
* Daifan nods
<Omoshla> Well - I think that's settled, as far as I'm concerned. Would you like to see your little girl?
* Chimi blinks a little, surprised
<Daifan> :o
* Idovo only understands about half of this conversation, probably, but guesses something has happened from the looks on your faces
* Daifan smiles at him
* Omoshla will go off, presumably to get the baby.
<Idovo> did we get it? :o
<Daifan> [O] we are getting her :3
* Idovo looks so happy :3
* Chimi looks relieved, mostly
* Omoshla returns a short while later with a baby wrapped in a bundle. She is little, probably only a week or less old, and has a few strands of dark curly hair peeking out from her blanket.
<Omoshla> Now, we should do this correctly.
* Omoshla says before handing her over.
* Daifan nods
<Omoshla> This child comes to you with no mother and no father, no brothers and no sisters. She comes to you alone, and asks you to welcome her into your home. You are all the family she has now, and by accepting her, you entwine your fates with hers, for as long as you live.
* Daifan feels a little shiver as this becomes real... we just sort of got a baby half on a whim, half out of spite @_@
* Omoshla passes her over to whoever is closest - how about Daifan :)
* Daifan takes her
<Omoshla> Oh - there was one other thing, I can't forget.
<Omoshla> Follow me...
* Daifan makes wide eyes at the other two
* Daifan follows
* Idovo is sort of stunned, smiling
* Chimi follows as well.
* Omoshla leads you back outside, and around the back of the temple, where there is a pen that is currently occupied by ... a goat.
<Daifan> uh... For the milk?
<Omoshla> Now, I know what I just said about this child having no mother and no father. But - for unrelated reasons, Shekkushna of the Lentu asked that whoever came for this child also receive this milk goat, to make sure that the baby can be properly fed.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes that makes sense
<Daifan> She will need milk.
* Omoshla nods
* Daifan says because I completely don't know anything about this kid's parentage ;p
* Omoshla ties a rope to the goat's neck and offers it to whoever seems inclined - probably Idovo has the most familiarity with similar animals, so he'll take it ;)
<Chimi> thank you so much, Hand... we'll take very good care of her. ah, I mean, of both of them.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes, thank you so much...
* Daifan says looking down at the little one :3
<Idovo> thank you
* Idovo says in Aummesh
<Omoshla> Now, probably officially I'm supposed to know the name you gave her, but maybe you don't have one yet?
<Daifan> mmmm..
* Daifan looks at Chimi
<Daifan> (I'm sure we've all been thinking of them on the way here >.>)
<Chimi> (probably :)
<Chimi> (did you have a suggestion?)
<Daifan> (I made a couple in the other channel but I wanted to give her first crack ;p)
<Chimi> We wanted to name her Shira.
* Daifan nods
* Idovo nods in agreement
<Omoshla> All right. Shira, the daughter of Chimi, Idovo, and... oh, I don't think I got your name.
* Omoshla says to you
<Daifan> Daifan.
* Omoshla nods, making a mental note of that so it can presumably get recorded somewhere official.
* Daifan says, a little startled to be included in this way, but not objecting
<Omoshla> Well, you'll probably want to be getting home, it's late and the weather is awful. Good luck!
<Daifan> Thank you @_@
<Idovo> we have a baby :o
<Daifan> we have a baby and we need to get her home in the puroing rain @_@
* Idovo nods
<Daifan> and a goat @_@
* Chimi will take off the upper layer of her dashi to rig it up as an impromptu baby sling.
<Idovo> yes, the goat was unexpected... ... why do we have a goat?
<Daifan> well.
* Idovo asks, tugging the goat's rope to get it to follow as we walk along.
<Daifan> It's a long story...
* Daifan can tell them on the way home, assuming we can hear over the rain ;p
<Chimi> (it will taper off a bit, so you can get home in reasonably good shape ;)

Daifan stops in at Fono's to ask for some milk


* Daifan will take their somewhat bedraggled self over to Fonos as Chimi and Idovo take little Shira, and the goat (Useir :V) home
* Daifan hopes they are not toooo off base about his feelings
* Daifan is glad the rain has let up at least
* Daifan is assuming the dog will alert anyone in the cabin to their presence as they approach
* Fono comes to the door with his dog and a wooden staff clutched in both hands, defensively.
<Fono> Whoever that is, go away - there's already been enough trouble today.
* Daifan does their best to look non-threatening
<Daifan> I am sorry - I mean no trouble
<Fono> oh - are you one of the ones who was here today?
<Daifan> I am, but I am not here for work.
<Fono> what do you want?
* Fono is still a bit wary, given the late hour and his current situation
* Daifan hopes they are not about to fuck up thigs but hey here goes
<Daifan> I... Hmm. I have friends who just picked up a little goat in Timiil. I know they will care for it very well, but it was unexpected, and for tonight, they have no milk to feed it.
<Daifan> This place is not so far off the road... I hoped perhaps you might have some to spare
* Fono is momentarily puzzled
<Fono> a baby ...goat?
<Fono> ah... I see.
* Daifan just gives him a minute.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.
<Fono> I could spare some milk for your friends.
* Fono says slowly.
<Daifan> That would be most kind of you.
<Fono> Just a moment.
* Fono retreats back into his house
* Fono returns a short while later with a hollowed-out gourd with some liquid in it.
<Fono> I hope this will be enough.
<Fono> But a little kid, at that age, they don't need a whole lot.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes, I think it will be fine...
<Fono> and they will be able to find a way to feed it when that runs out?
<Daifan> Yes. Funny enough, uh, your mother in law sent along a very fine nanny goat just to provide for this one little kid. But that won't do for tonight.
* Fono frowns slightly, but nods.
<Fono> That was ...generous of her.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I know you have your differences, but you are both herders, after all.
* Fono shrugs slightly.
<Fono> If she could talk some sense into some of her nephews and grandsons, maybe.
<Daifan> Well, perhaps. We will see - I hope they will decide that they have had enough trouble.
* Fono glances over his shoulder as one of the children in the house starts whimpering/crying.
<Daifan> ...Thank you again. I'll leave you alone.
<Fono> I hope your friends will be good to their new little goat.
* Fono says with a nod
<Daifan> I promise they will.
<Fono> good night
<Fono> ...it's all right, go back to bed...
* Fono says to his own kids, returning back to the house.
* Daifan will take the milk and go :x

Balinteze drops by to see Daifan and meets baby Shira


* Balinteze will stop by for a visit at some point in the next day or two.
<Daifan> (I'm just trying to figure out what to be doin ;p)
* Daifan could just be napping with... a baby!?! :o
* Balinteze comes up to your house and looks inside
<Balinteze> Hey, how are you... oh :o
<Daifan> hmm?
* Daifan peers up at you groggily
<Balinteze> you have a baby! :o
<Daifan> oh hey :)
<Daifan> Look at that, where did this come from? Must have happened while I was napping
<Balinteze> I've heard of girls who didn't know they were pregnant until the baby was born, but this is new - sleeping through the entire process? ;)
* Daifan says, carefully sitting up while keeping Shira ensnuggled so she doesn't get woken up
<Daifan> the fates must have dropped her off
<Daifan> Anyway, she's not mine, She's Spider and Sheepsteaalers' :3
<Balinteze> she's so tiny :3
<Daifan> she is.... her name is Shira
<Daifan> well
<Daifan> We call her goat
<Daifan> she came with a free one.... we call the goat Useir >.>
<Balinteze> is she stubborn as one? eats everything? :)
* Balinteze chuckles at that
<Daifan> We've only had her for a few days, but so far so good
<Balinteze> she's a good sleeper, it looks like...
<Daifan> mmhmm, they mostly are when they're this little
<Balinteze> I guess I don't know a lot about babies. but she looks happy.
* Daifan nods
<Balinteze> you look happy too.
<Daifan> I think she's a lucky little one, to get to grow up in a place like this
<Daifan> anyway, mostly I'm tired ;p
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> She does sleep a lot but she wakes up at the most inconvenient times ;p
<Balinteze> tell her to figure out that you sleep when it's dark out and wake when it's light out, how hard can that be? :)
<Daifan> the rain makes it harder to tell :p
<Balinteze> mm, fair.
<Balinteze> well... I was going to ask what's new, but I guess I already know.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> how about you?
* Daifan says, offering a sleeping baby in exchange for news
<Balinteze> (offering like handing the baby over to them to hold?)
<Daifan> (yes :)
* Balinteze is a bit surprised and accepts the baby awkwardly, holding her carefully.
<Balinteze> oh... well :o
<Daifan> here
* Daifan can help them get arranged
* Balinteze adjusts to be a bit less uncomfortable, settling the baby to rest on their chest.
* Daifan sits back, looking pleased
* Daifan also takes the chance to finger comb their hair back nd retie the scarf that came off while they were napping
<Balinteze> Ah, I'm doing all right... I just, ah, thought I'd stop by and see if you had any updates.... I don't have a lot new right now, but I heard that a diplomat from Hasmala got kidnapped by pirates.
<Daifan> oh, well
<Daifan> I talked to Wolf >.>
<Balinteze> Oh yes?
<Balinteze> Wolf and Goat, hmm, don't let her eat this tiny little morsel :3
<Daifan> well she'd have to get past Spider first >.>
<Balinteze> mm, true.
<Balinteze> but, so, what did she have to say?
<Daifan> Well.... that Galdai is building some kind of housing by hr fields
* Balinteze frowns
<Balinteze> housing? like for workers?
<Daifan> Mmmhmm.
<Balinteze> that's ... worrying.
<Daifan> yes.
<Daifan> I think that would be really bad..... fir them especially but eventually, the idea would bleed out to others
<Balinteze> if they're living on her land, away from everyone else, it makes it easier for her to exercise control over them - harder for them to let people know what's happening, or to get away if there's trouble.
<Daifan> exactly
<Daifan> so I don't know
<Daifan> It would he a shame if something happened to those buildings before anyone started using them
* Balinteze gives you a sidelong look
<Daifan> well. It's a thought.
<Balinteze> well, if someone is thinking about that, they should be careful.
<Daifan> most certainly.
<Daifan> Thoughts are one thing, anything beyond that, though...
* Daifan shrugs
* Balinteze nods
* Balinteze nuzzles baby Shira's head a bit.
<Balinteze> She smells really good. do babies usually smell good?
<Daifan> she smells nice, doesn't she?
<Daifan> I think so
<Daifan> all the little ones I've ever held, anyway
<Daifan> at least when they're clean >.>
<Daifan> they can also smell pretty bad :p
* Balinteze chuckles at that
<Balinteze> well, she's adorable.
<Daifan> She's precious
<Daifan> we weren't really planning on it but the opportunity came up and we just meant to look into it and then we're headed into Timiil in the rain at night and coming home with a baby an hour later
<Daifan> fate.
* Daifan says with a shrug, watching Shira sleep :3
<Balinteze> Sometimes life happens like that. Sudden changes come up, and you just have to take your chance or miss it forever...
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> and learn from your mistakes, I suppose
<Balinteze> if you have the chance...
* Daifan says, thinking of past seized 'opportunities'
<Daifan> mmhmm...
<Daifan> so, one of the people I work with is a manifest
<Balinteze> oh?
<Daifan> we got wrapped up in some local troubles, because of work. Jumped by some thugs, basically.
<Daifan> She called lighting down out of the sky to hit one of them. Killed him instantly.
<Balinteze> oh...
<Daifan> I don't know if that was what she meant to do.
<Daifan> but things sure changed fast for him @_@
<Balinteze> sometimes it happens. when it's you or them.... maybe it could have gone differently, but it didn't.
<Balinteze> you can't dwell on it.
* Daifan npds
<Daifan> at least it was quick.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> are his friends going to come back on you about it, though?
<Daifan> I don't think so. Not on us.
<Daifan> well... probably not.
<Daifan> he was the one who started it
<Balinteze> all right.
<Daifan> its all stupid anyway :p
<Balinteze> it usually is :/
* Daifan nods
* Balinteze looks a bit wistful as Shira stirs and starts to fuss
<Balinteze> aw... I guess it couldn't last forever.
* Balinteze gives her one more nuzzle and then wrinkles their nose
<Balinteze> okay, you can take her back now ;p
<Daifan> oh gee, thanks so much :V
* Daifan will do it though, also making a face
<Daifan> Well, I guess I'm on duty for the moment :p
* Daifan glancing in the other room to see if anyone else snuck in while they were napping
<Daifan> I better deal with that.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> I would say let me know if you need any help, but... this is really outside my area of expertise. So I'll just say, good luck :)
<Daifan> then when she is cleaned up we should do something more fun
<Daifan> though I am willing to share my extensive skills ;p
<Daifan> you never know, Kemai could get called on to babysit some day ;p
* Balinteze chuckles
<Balinteze> well, I can help with the more fun part.
<Daifan> good, I definitely need it!

Daifan and Junan talk about fate


* Daifan is puttering around in the... entry? Mud room? Wherever we stash our stuff at the Land registry
* Junan walks in, dripping from the rain
<Junan> oh, hi
<Daifan> Good morning Junan
<Daifan> I'm half surprised to see you back!
* Junan peels of his wet cloak and finds a peg to hang it
<Junan> there is reports, filings, stuff... I didn't do it yesterday, so here I am
<Daifan> mmmhmm, all the fun parts, lucky you
<Daifan> Or maybe Veznara has already dne them
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> maybe she did, maybe she didn't.
<Junan> regardless I have to look them over
<Junan> make sure they're accurate
<Daifan> Yes, I am sure you have things to say
<Junan> do my "Envoy" thing.
<Daifan> Mm, yes
<Daifan> Do you really remember everything people say?
<Junan> I have to be paying attention... but yes
<Junan> its a trick. It takes practice, but once you get it
<Junan> its hard to turn off
<Daifan> And so, they don't let you have any fun at the caninos
<Daifan> not at the tables anyway
<Daifan> there is always the bar
<Daifan> Maybe they would let an envoy gamble if they were very drunk
<Junan> I never said they don't let you have fun.
* Daifan nods
<Junan> but yeah, the gambling thing, cards especially... frowns all around
* Junan slumps on a stool
<Daifan> I feel like you wouldn't have joined if it was no fun
<Junan> there is that
* Daifan does a cursory glnce around to make sure there isn't anyone around who would get offended to see them talking to you too much
<Junan> how are you... not... bothered by yesterday
<Junan> ?
<Daifan> Well.
<Daifan> I believe in fate.
<Junan> and that helps?
<Daifan> And I already know hw cruel it can be.... so I'm not easily shaken.
* Junan stands
* Junan starts to move to the back of the cloak/mud room, out of sight of the common area
<Daifan> ...Are you okay?
<Junan> you keep glancing... I want to talk, but you're on edge...
<Daifan> no particularly... just careful.
* Daifan drifts closer
* Daifan is also careful not to touch anyone else's stuff :p
<Junan> easier to be careful.
<Daifan> always.
<Junan> so yeah, me I'm bothered.
<Daifan> About the death? or more than that?
<Junan> It was just so... unnecessary... although I do remember saying no good would come of us getting involved
<Junan> and who knows how big of a mess its gonna cause
<Junan> we sure didn't help Fono
<Daifan> I am hopeful that it can still be resolved
<Daifan> We will see what Jimba has to say today, I suppose.
<Junan> fate right?
* Junan shakes his head
<Daifan> Well. Believeing in fate is not the same as thinking it doens't matter what you do. YOu can't know how a thing will turn out until it is done, but you can accept that when things have happened... then that is how it is, isn't it?
<Daifan> you can't change it.
<Daifan> So I don't know. I have seen some things I think are good signs.... maybe not for the dead man.
<Junan> thats a nice sentiment... I wish I could just not look back and regret...or feel frustrated
<Daifan> well... that is not easy, I understand.
<Junan> I do have a solution, maybe not fate... I tried some of it last night... just not enough
<Daifan> I am not someone who is free of regrets, or frustration, for sure.
* Daifan smiles wryly
* Junan slumps down on the floor and closes his eyes
<Daifan> YOu're going to get all muddy.
<Daifan> and cold.
<Daifan> that won't help.
<Junan> I was wet and cold, now muddy and cold, wont make much of a difference... just means more laundry
<Daifan> Mmmhmm, I suppose so
<Junan> Its been years since I saw someone die... before my apprenticeship thankfully
* Daifan nods.
<Junan> everyone sees dead bodies... that just happens... but to actually watch them die
<Daifan> yesterday was.... very dramatic. It was not what anyone intended.
<Daifan> Adn who knows, maybe they will still bring him back.
<Junan> true, but even if that's what is wanted, its not a certainty
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Fate.
* Junan pushes himself back up
<Junan> funny enough, it was cold and muddy
<Junan> who knew?
<Daifan> Who indeed.
<Daifan> No one important, certainly ;p
<Junan> That is a matter of perception I think
<Junan> but I'm just a drunk, so what do I know
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> what do any of us know :p
<Daifan> We'll see what we can do about al of this, and hope whatever is on our plate less is less foolish
<Junan> I do know a good song can bring a smile and smiles can lead to warmer things...
<Junan> but I just don't have my voice right now
<Daifan> Happens to everyone O:)
<Junan> 'tis not due to the company, I will say
* Junan gives a sly smile
<Daifan> so I hear
<Junan> I delay the drudge
<Daifan> I'm sure your song will be back warming up your companions in no time
<Junan> that we shall see... maybe it's fate
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> files, then wine
* Daifan nods
* Junan steps away from the back of the room to head to the office
<Daifan> I'll leave the first to you, we'll see about the second.
<Junan> so we will...You were right, my spare cloak was not there... should have just listened to you.
* Junan muses and heads off
* Daifan lets you go and will go back to... whatever they were doing. Sweeping ot the excess mud (lol)

Katenzhi receives a commendation from Ismend for her efforts


<Ismend> (Katenzhi, you have not been yourself at work since the ... incident. You are at work, sitting around beating yourself up, when Ismend Hengo, the military attache to the land registry, comes up to where you're sitting.)
* Katenzhi looks up when they walk by.
<Katenzhi> Hey.
* Ismend is a short but well-muscled man, perhaps in his seventies, with a well-trimmed white beard. He is wearing his black sash indicating his rank as a sentinel - it is covered with a complex pattern of beads of all colours.
<Ismend> Katenzhi.
<Ismend> I was hoping to have a chat with you, if you have the time.
<Katenzhi> Yeah?
<Katenzhi> Um... yeah, I guess.
<Katenzhi> I'm not busy.
<Ismend> Perhaps in my office, then, so we can have some privacy?
<Katenzhi> ...sure...
* Katenzhi gets a sinking feeling in her stomach
* Katenzhi will follow him to his office, then.
* Ismend sits down and invites you to do the same.
* Katenzhi will do so.
<Ismend> I read the report you and your colleagues filed about your most recent mission.
<Ismend> Very thorough.
* Katenzhi just kind of stares at her hands.
* Ismend seems to be leafing through it, or at least, it's some report, you can't really tell one from another.
<Ismend> I see there was a confrontation. Regrettable, really.
<Katenzhi> ...yeah.
<Ismend> Having reviewed the file, I wanted to meet with you in person.
<Katenzhi> ...are you gonna arrest me?
* Ismend looks at you oddly.
<Ismend> Ahh ... no.
<Ismend> On behalf of the territorial government and this office, I would like to commend you on your valor and fine conduct.
* Katenzhi raises an eyebrow at that.
<Katenzhi> My... I killed a guy.
* Ismend nods.
<Ismend> You did. A guy, as you say, who was threatening you and your colleagues and hindering your investigation.
* Ismend stands and begins walking about.
<Ismend> To take a human life, that is a serious matter, to be sure.
<Ismend> It is inevitable that, in doing so for the first time, you should feel ambivalent, or even guilty.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Ismend> I know, Katenzhi, that you are no soldier. You do not have a soldier's training.
<Ismend> But you are here to serve the General, and as such, I cannot tell you that this will be the only time you will need to take a life. Only the first.
<Katenzhi> I just... I keep thinking that I could have done something different.
<Katenzhi> Less extreme.
<Ismend> You could have. And perhaps that would have avoided the need for that man's death.
<Ismend> But it might also have resulted in another's death, or your own. Who can say?
* Katenzhi nods slowly.
<Katenzhi> I... hadn't considered that.
<Ismend> We are here to bring order to a land that is sorely in need of order.
<Ismend> This ... Kemiir, of the Yetsner, seems to be the sort of problem that we are here exactly to control.
<Ismend> Many of the Yetnser lineage are known to be affiliated with the Black Stork pirates. Make no mistake, given the opportunity, he would have killed you. He was armed and ready to kill, and had already attacked your team.
<Katenzhi> So... I did the right thing?
<Ismend> Of course you did. You defended a colonist in need of protection, with the most powerful resource you could muster.
<Ismend> And you sent a powerful message to those who would interfere with our work.
<Katenzhi> That's one way to put it, I guess.
* Ismend paces back and forth, hands behind his back.
<Ismend> It's the only way to think about this. Otherwise you will be consumed with doubt.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Ismend> To see yourself as part of our larger mission, this protects you against the voices inside your head that might lead you to question your actions.
<Katenzhi> It has been... weighing on me.
<Katenzhi> Thank you.
<Katenzhi> Sir.
<Ismend> I have ... something for you.
* Ismend opens up a drawer and pulls out a small woven pouch.
* Katenzhi will stand up to accept it.
<Ismend> I know that, as you are not a sentinel, it is not perhaps your custom to bear such honours. But in this new place, we must find a way to honour those who fight and serve in every capacity. Take this, Katenzhi of the Ghughife, as a token of our pride in your accomplishment.
* Katenzhi will open the pouch.
<Ismend> (Inside, there is a threaded string of green and silver beads.)
<Katenzhi> (Would I know the significance of it?)
<Ismend> (well, you know that sentinels have beads they wear on their sashes for all kinds of things. What specifically it means, though, no, you don't know.)
<Katenzhi> What... what does it mean?
<Ismend> It is an award for valor, given to those young warriors for defending the innocent.
<Ismend> If you were a sentinel, you might wear it on your sash. As it is ... do as you see fit.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Thank you.
<Ismend> I fear that a more ... ahhh, public? recognition ... would invite retribution on the part of the dead man's family.
<Katenzhi> I don't think that would be a good idea.
<Katenzhi> I'm not even sure I deserve this.
<Ismend> Or, if he should become a revenant, the young man himself.
<Ismend> It is not yours to judge whether you deserve this, nor whether the man you killed deserves his fate.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> So there's no word yet on if he came back?
<Ismend> None so far. We will attempt to endeavour to reach out to the temple of the Voice in Timiil as to his fate.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> ...thank you again.
<Ismend> You're welcome. Any further questions?
<Katenzhi> Ummm... no.
<Ismend> Very well. Dismissed.
* Katenzhi will stand there awkwardly for a moment and then head back to her area of the office.
* Katenzhi will stash the pouch with the beads in it in the very bottom of one of her personal trunks on the ship when she gets home.

Jimba confers with Liraula about the hostage situation


* Jimba will track down Liraula's flagship at the docks.
<Liraula> (OK, you head over to port where the mighty Black Stork is docked in Timiil, flying its three flags, two black with one white between them. You see Liraula on deck, barking out orders at some random sailors.)
<Jimba> Ahoy, Captain!
* Jimba waves, smiling.
* Liraula spots you.
<Liraula> Jimba, is that you?
<Jimba> None other. Permission to board?
<Liraula> So permitted.
* Jimba will board the ship, approach Liraula, and give her a hearty handshake or similarly appropriate greeting.
<Jimba> Fair winds?
<Liraula> The Captain acknowledges Jimba of the Ghughife aboard the Black Stork.
<Liraula> Fair enough.
<Jimba> Jimba of the Ghughife stands acknowledged.
<Liraula> I hear you've been looking for me.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> Yeah, I was wondering if you could spare a moment.
<Jimba> It's not business, per se, but might pertain.
<Liraula> Is this about the man you killed?
* Jimba winces.
<Jimba> News travels fast.
<Jimba> No, this is about a whole other kettle of fish.
<Liraula> All right then, what?
<Jimba> You had any dealings with the Cormorant recently? Or heard any rumors?
<Liraula> Well, you know, they are our deadly enemies. So, formally, we hate them and condemn them and their kind.
<Jimba> Of course.
<Liraula> But yes, we talk.
<Jimba> Informally?
<Jimba> You hear anything about a ship going missing a few weeks ago, carrying a Hasmalan...high muckity muck something or other?
<Liraula>
You should be careful who you go saying those sorts of things around, Jimba.
<Jimba> From the Vunughi lineage, big folks back in Hasmala?
* Liraula nods.
<Jimba> Don't I know it.
<Jimba> But I figured I could trust you, and, if I was wrong, I came alone.
<Liraula> Me? It's not me you have to worry about.
<Jimba> Yeah, I know. It's Shotser's folks.
<Liraula> Well, yes. ...
<Jimba> I really, *really* hate to ask this, but you have any way of getting in touch with him?
<Liraula> I do.
<Liraula> But I'm not sure I should.
<Jimba> That's fair.
<Liraula> What's your interest in this?
<Jimba> Look, this kidnapping...that's fair enough game. But he's demanding the release of one of his ships and its crew. He manages to push that embarrassment through, they're going to have to come down hard, on *all* pirates, just to make a counterpoint.
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> Family friend asked me to look into it. She's good people, and she's trying to keep the situation from escalating, but people are pushing hard from both sides.
<Liraula> Let me ask you a question, Jimba. Why is it, do you suppose, that I can sit here, in port in Timiil, rather than in chains?
<Jimba> Because you have the ships and the connections to do so. If they tried to take you in, it'd be all but openly declaring war.
<Liraula> Perhaps.
<Liraula> Do you suppose that the Cormorant Fleet is so much smaller than my own?
<Jimba> (Are they? I'm assuming they're roughly the same size.)
<Liraula> (you think so, yes)
<Jimba> If they were that much smaller, I can't imagine you'd have let them operate separately this long.
<Liraula> So why would it be that that bastard Yeggun hides away on Ruur where I sit pretty right here?
<Jimba> I've got my suspicions, but it sounds like you'll enlighten me if I just keep my mouth shut and learn something.
<Liraula> It's because I have the good sense to make a lot of friends in high places.
<Liraula> And Yeggun ... does not.
<Jimba> Well, he's making even more enemies, now.
<Liraula> Is he, now? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.
<Liraula> The General, she already hates him. Can't hate him any more than she does already.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I suppose that's true.
<Jimba> But this is going to draw attention from further afield.
<Liraula> Indeed it will.
<Liraula> And Yeggun may be many things but he's not stupid. So let's assume he knows that.
<Jimba> Okay.
<Liraula> Why would he do something like this, so brazen? Not for the money. He's got money.
<Liraula> And, well, you don't know him especially, but not for the men. Men are expendable to him.
<Liraula> So you got to ask yourself, why?
<Jimba> I just assumed it was his usual arrogance, but it seems like you're saying it's a power play. But why would he want more Ombesh attention? We've got about as much as we can handle already.
* Jimba says with no irony, vis a vis being Ombesh himself. ;)
<Liraula> Sure, unless there were some Ombesh who would benefit from this.
<Jimba> You think he's looking for a foreign alliance?
<Liraula> Well I don't know. But what I do know is that weakening the strength of the General is not just something he'd be interested in. Lots of countries aren't too keen on Choradan being in charge here.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> Because destabilizing an already shaky social order is a great recipe for success.
<Jimba> But Shotser wouldn't give a damn about that.
<Jimba> He'd thrive on that chaos.
<Jimba> So there's likely zero chance he's negotiating in good faith, huh?
<Liraula> Oh ... well, I imagine if the Fort conceded, he'd give in. That's just good business.
<Liraula> But the demand is high enough that I'm confident they won't give in. I mean, that's why your friend asked you to intervene, I'm guessing? Because your friend is at the Fort, and they know that they're never going to give in to those demands.
<Jimba> She didn't come right out and say it, but she didn't seem optimistic.
<Liraula> But now you're thinking, or at least you should be, Liraula, you benefit from things being stable the way they are. You've got connections at the fort and friends in high places. So shouldn't you want to find some resolution to all this?
<Jimba> That would be my hope, yes.
<Jimba> Though I know you well enough to know you'll be fine however things fall out.
<Jimba> I was just hoping your interest might lean towards status quo for the moment.
<Jimba> It *is* in the interest of a simple merchant and government employee like myself, though, if worse comes to worse, I have a ship and you have a fleet...
<Liraula> You're in luck, then, Jimba. As it turns out I do have an interest in resolving the situation amicably.
* Jimba smiles.
<Liraula> And all for the low low price of ... five thousand gold horns.
<Jimba> Luck indeed.
* Jimba laughs.
<Jimba> And that price buys...?
<Liraula> That price buys two Hasmalan noblewomen delivered safe and sound, discreetly.
<Jimba> Well now, that's a steal.
<Jimba> Or a kidnapping, I suppose.
<Liraula> The Fort can keep the ship and execute the crew, whatever it likes, they're not my concern.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Well, I'm sure the Fort would be happy with that arrangement.
<Jimba> Well, as happy as they can be, situation permitting.
<Liraula> Right.
<Liraula> I think my offer's a fair one.
<Liraula> I will authorize you to carry it for me to your people, assuming they're in a position to assent to it.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I can do that.
<Jimba> I...thanks.
<Jimba> How much trouble is this going to cause for you? Shotser will howl and rage.
<Jimba> But I figure that's about all he can really do to you.
<Liraula> No doubt. But if I do things right then he may not even know for sure it was me.
<Liraula> It's not like I'm going to war against the entire Cormorant Fleet over this.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> The quieter the better.
<Jimba> Hmm, might it be useful for you if someone else were to take the credit?
<Jimba> Payments can be done quietly, and the Sentinels would no doubt be happy to improve their reputation.
<Liraula> How 'bout you let me worry about who gets the blame for this? Consider it part of the service you get.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> Above my pay grade anyway.
<Liraula> Speaking of your job, you wanna talk about that man you and your friends killed? Or is that also above your pay grade?
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> No, apparently it fell at exactly my pay grade.
<Jimba> Did you know the man?
<Liraula> Oh yes.
<Liraula> Kemiir Yetsner
<Liraula> I've got a couple handfuls of Yetsners in my fleet.
* Jimba winces.
<Jimba> I'm going to go talk to the heads of their lineage here after this.
<Liraula> Hmm. To Gelidaur?
<Jimba> It was...an accident isn't really right. An unfortunate escalation.
<Jimba> (I assume that's correct, but I'd have to scroll a long way to double-check)
<Liraula> (yeah)
<Jimba> Yeah.
<Jimba> It'll be the worst of my errands today, and that's saying something.
<Liraula> I heard it was a magical mishap. Your cousin?
* Jimba looks away for a moment.
<Jimba> Yeah, but I'll take responsibility. She's in no space to deal with this right now.
<Jimba> I was there. It could have just as easily been me.
<Jimba> Maybe not with a lightning bolt from the sky, but a bolt or a sword don't matter much to the dead man.
<Liraula> All right, well. You're right to go to Gelidaur. He's the Yetsner, so he's the one to talk to. But I think you'll find, well, it may not be as much of a problem as you think.
<Liraula> There's a reason that Kemiir never worked for me even though so many of his kin do.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Liraula> He won't be greatly missed. Probably the best of that bunch for you to have killed.
<Liraula> I got a cousin or two who'd probably want to kiss Katenzhi for the favour she did them.
<Liraula> Course, they might want to do that regardless.
<Jimba> Well, she *could* use some cheering up.
<Jimba> Well, I'm glad it might not completely blow up, but I still wish it hadn't happened.
<Liraula> Look, a man died, so it's good and right to go and make amends. Though it should probably rightly be Katenzhi to go, or you with her.
<Liraula> She's a grown-ass woman can take responsibility for her own killing.
<Jimba> Well, maybe I can get her to do that later, but my crew kind of abandoned me in the aftermath.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Liraula> Well ... maybe. But I can see Gelidaur reacting badly to that. You go, seems like you're shielding her.
<Jimba> Hmm.
<Jimba> I am, I'm not denying that.
<Jimba> But I worry that waiting will be worse.
* Liraula shrugs.
<Jimba> If you think it's better to wait and take Katenzhi with me, though...
<Jimba> I can go drag her back as necessary.
<Liraula> Gelidaur, he's nearly a hundred years old. He's seen a lot of family come and go over the years. But he feels he's earned some respect in those years. I don't think he wants two visits, or an apology from the man who is related to the one who did the killing.
<Liraula> You're not responsible for her.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Well...
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> You're right.
<Liraula> If I let a man take the blame every time I killed someone, do you think I'd be where I am now?
<Jimba> No offense, but I'm sure some of those deaths are more credit than blame.
* Jimba says, trying for levity.
<Jimba> But I take your meaning.
<Liraula> Maybe she wants the credit too. She may not think so right now, I grant.
<Jimba> It's possible it could be useful in dealings down the line, I'll admit.
<Jimba> She likes to play the heavy.
<Jimba> And knowing she can throw down like that will help.
<Jimba> But she's not in a mood to hear that right now.
* Liraula nods.
<Liraula> That, I can't help.
<Liraula> I'm just saying what needs to happen, is all.
<Jimba> Ugh, how do you manage a fleet? I'm having trouble with two crew, and they're both family.
<Jimba> Maybe that's the issue.
* Jimba smiles wearily.
<Liraula> All right, well, you let your people know my offer, and I'll see what I can do about that other thing.
<Jimba> Can do.
<Jimba> Thanks again.
<Liraula> Anytime.
<Jimba> I'd offer to buy you a drink sometime, but I'm sure you can afford way better than I can.
<Jimba> Someday...
* Jimba grins.

Jimba consoles Katenzhi


* Jimba will track down Katenzhi wherever she is a few hours after the fight.
<Jimba> (Presumably like early evening at this point? He had to walk around and talk to a few people.)
<Katenzhi> (Cool)
* Katenzhi has retreated to the boat, sitting in a corner near her hammock.
* Katenzhi has a bottle of... whatever was most convenient.
<Jimba> Heya Kat.
<Katenzhi> Hey.
* Katenzhi doesn't look up.
<Jimba> Whatcha doing?
<Katenzhi> Drinking.
* Katenzhi takes a swig to punctuate the statement.
<Jimba> How's that working out for you?
<Katenzhi> For me? Just fine. Not so great for that poor fuck today.
<Jimba> Yeah, that sounds about right.
<Jimba> Any particular reason you're drinking alone on the ship?
<Katenzhi> What should I be doing? I've never killed anyone before so I'm not up on the protocol.
<Jimba> Well, I can't really offer any advice there.
<Jimba> But I can at least make sure you're not drinking alone.
<Jimba> May I?
* Jimba reaches towards the bottle.
* Katenzhi looks up at you. Her eyes are obviously watering but also angry. She offers you the bottle.
<Katenzhi> Fuck...
* Jimba sits down and takes a drink from the bottle.
<Katenzhi> I really fucked up this time...
<Jimba> Oh?
* Katenzhi gives you an Are-You-Serious look.
* Jimba gives a placidly curious face back.
<Katenzhi> What?
<Jimba> There was a fight. A man who came at you with a weapon in his hand is dead, and you aren't. What did you do wrong?
<Katenzhi> I. Killed. Him.
<Jimba> So?
<Jimba> Could have just as easily been me or Llillilli.
<Katenzhi> I could have... I don't know, put him to sleep or tangled him with webs or some shit but of course my first instinct was to fucking fry him.
<Katenzhi> Because that's who I am.
<Jimba> I could have used the flat of my blade. Hell, I could carry a club. But I don't.
<Jimba> Doesn't make me a bad person.
<Jimba> Doesn't make you one either.
<Jimba> How many fights you been in, Kat? Real ones, with real weapons?
* Katenzhi just looks at her now-empty hands.
<Jimba> Because I'm pretty sure its the same number as me, which is zero, if you don't count with animals, which I figure is a different beast.
<Katenzhi> I was drunk.
<Katenzhi> Maybe not... completely.
<Katenzhi> But enough.
<Jimba> Yeah...yeah. That is on you.
<Jimba> And maybe you should think on that some.
<Jimba> But it means you made a mistake. It happens.
<Jimba> It sucks, and you should maybe consider acting different next time, but you can't go back and undo it.
<Jimba> You gotta face up to it, and do better next time.
<Jimba> Drowning yourself in a bottle isn't going to help anyone.
<Katenzhi> Never know until you try.
* Jimba gives Katenzhi a flat look.
<Jimba> (What is she drinking?)
<Katenzhi> (Probably wine? Whatever we're likely to have on the ship.)
<Katenzhi> (Nothing specific if you want to decide)
* Jimba shrugs, raises the bottle to his lips, and chugs what's left of it.
<Katenzhi> This isn't the first time my magic has fucked things up.
<Katenzhi> Maybe I should just go live in a mud shack somewhere.
<Katenzhi> Not be a danger to everyone
<Jimba> Ack.
* Jimba shakes his head.
<Jimba> Well, it's an idea, if you want to take the easy way out.
<Katenzhi> That's the easy way?
<Jimba> Yeah. It's the one where you don't have to do anything.
<Katenzhi> I'm dangerous to be around. Nothing's gonna change that.
<Jimba> Bullshit.
<Jimba> You can change that.
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Jimba> I can't do what you do, and I don't entirely understand it, but I know you can get better at directing it.
<Jimba> Besides, you'd go crazy living by yourself off in a hut somewhere.
<Katenzhi> I don't know if I have what it takes to control it.
<Jimba> What makes you say that?
* Katenzhi shrugs.
<Katenzhi> What makes you think I can?
<Jimba> 'Cause I've known you my whole life, and you're pretty strong, and you love magic?
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Katenzhi> I'll try.
<Jimba> There we go.
<Jimba> Knew you'd get there eventually.
* Jimba smiles and will give Katenzhi a one-arm hug.
<Katenzhi> Might not matter if we get run out of town for this.
* Katenzhi will allow herself to be hugged.
<Jimba> Well, on that note, you do have one hard thing to do in the short term.
<Katenzhi> Wake up in the morning?
<Jimba> We're gonna go talk to the dead guy's lineage head tomorrow, you and me.
<Katenzhi> I'm sorry?
<Jimba> If it helps, I hear they're not going to miss him so much.
<Katenzhi> If I go over there it'll be two corpses instead of one.
<Jimba> Not unless you're planning on killing someone else.
<Jimba> They're going to be upset, but not murderously so.
<Katenzhi> What can I possibly have to say to them?
<Jimba> Well now, I suppose you'll have tonight and the walk there to come up with something.
<Jimba> We go, we *apologize*, make amends, stop this before it becomes something bigger.
<Jimba> Simple. Difficult, but simple.
<Katenzhi> I don't think "Sorry" is gonna cut it.
<Jimba> Never know until you try.
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> Glib little shit.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> Hey, I'll be right there with you.
<Jimba> They try anything, maybe we'll both have killed a Yetsner by the end of it.
<Katenzhi> Great. I look forward to it.
<Katenzhi> Can I at least have the rest of the bottle then?
* Jimba turns it over to show it's empty.
<Katenzhi> -_-
* Jimba tosses Katenzhi the bottle and stands up.
<Jimba> Come on. It's not good sitting here getting drunk.
<Jimba> Let's go get drunk somewhere else.
<Jimba> I'll pay.
* Katenzhi stands up shakily and sighs.
<Katenzhi> I think... I should probably go to sleep for now.
<Katenzhi> If I can.
<Jimba> Now there's a good idea.
<Jimba> I'll see you in the morning then.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Jimba... Thanks.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> You're welcome.

Veznara talks to Askudi about persimmons


* Veznara goes to the temple to look for Hand Askudi
* Forthright is now known as Askudi
<Askudi> Askudi can often be found around the temple, as Dezmali has prepared a small office from her even though technically she has few to no religious duties here.
* Askudi looks up as you pass by the doorway to her office.
<Veznara> Hello, Askudi! How are you?
<Askudi> Oh, hello, Veznara. I'm well. This rain gets to me. It doesn't rain like this in Malfan.
<Veznara> Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it isn't too bothersome. I'm still getting used to it myself.
<Veznara> Actually, do you have a moment? I wanted to ask about something.
* Askudi is making some notes in a thick brown leather book into which sheaves of paper have been stuffed haphazardly. She closes it up.
<Askudi> Of course! Come in. Apologies, just clear off the papers on the chair there.
<Veznara> Thank you!
* Veznara enters and carefully puts the papers aside before sitting down.
* Askudi is thin but well-muscled, with black wavy hair cropped very short.
<Askudi> What can I help with?
<Veznara> I was wondering whether you know of any particular significance that the local people here may attach to persimmons.
<Veznara> Specifically the fruit and branch of the persimmon.
<Askudi> Hmmm ...
<Askudi> !roll 1d20+16
* Daifan rolls for Askudi: [ 1d20+16 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 16 ] totals [ 21 ].
<Veznara> (+16? Holy moly! :O )
<Askudi> (I totally did that just to impress you)
<Veznara> (It worked!)
<Veznara> (Only a 5, though. :( )
<Askudi> Well, it is sometimes the case that the seed of the persimmon is used for divinatory purposes
<Veznara> I see. Is it associated with any specific practices?
<Askudi> It is said that a woman should open a persimmon and examine the shape of a seed to see if it is a good time to conceive a child. That's not specific to here, though.
<Veznara> Is there perhaps a fertility goddess of some kind associated with that belief?
<Askudi> A goddess? No, it isn't a pagan belief. Just a folk belief that some rural people hold.
<Askudi> It isn't a Hulti belief, or at least not particularly.
<Askudi> Some of the atavists may believe in it, but not as far as I know out of any particular theology.
<Veznara> So it is used for divination, but for that issue specifically - not as a general divinatory charm.
<Askudi> Yes, that's right.
<Askudi> Let me just check something.
* Veznara waits patiently as Askudi does so
* Askudi goes over to a shelf of ill-arranged books and pulls one out.
* Askudi flips through some pages.
<Askudi> It has some medicinal uses ... nothing too interesting.
<Veznara> Such as?
<Askudi> A tincture of persimmon is said to be useful for the, er, ring of fire.
<Veznara> ...ring of fire?
<Askudi> Ahh, perhaps you have another name for it in Taizi.
<Askudi> I believe the technical Imperial name is hemorrhoids.
<Veznara> Ah.
<Veznara> Well, I was about to ask whether you know of any group that might adopt it as a symbol...
* Veznara has an amused sparkle in her eye
<Askudi> I have to ask what this is all about. I'm dying of curiosity.
<Veznara> Oh, well. You remember when I came to see you before, to ask about that temple-like structure in the swamp?
<Askudi> Yes, I recall.
<Veznara> When we investigated it, there was a grove of persimmon trees nearby. And the building itself did have some carvings that included representations of the persimmon branch and fruit.
<Veznara> So I just wanted to find out what that might symbolize.
<Askudi> Hmm. In a temple of the Voice? That is very unusual.
* Askudi pulls out her notebook and turns to a new page, making some notes in a very fine hand.
<Veznara> Yes. I didn't think they were native to the area, so I imagine they must have been planted.
<Veznara> Do you have any thoughts on what it might mean?
<Askudi> Well I'm not an expert on the natural world by any means, but if there are carvings as well as a grove, that does suggest something intentional.
<Veznara> Exactly. But I don't understand the significance.
<Askudi> As for what it means, it's just quite strange. Normally temples of the Voice are devoid of too much particular ornamentation other than the ordinary, as they have to serve everyone's ancestors.
<Veznara> Yes. It occurred to me that this might be a local, ah, * twist* . And since I've already consulted you and can depend on your discretion, I thought I'd come and ask for your advice again.
<Veznara> I suppose the connection to fertility may be important.
<Askudi> Perhaps.
* Askudi finishes making her notes.
<Veznara> I thought also that it might be the symbol of a local lineage. But so far, I haven't been able to make any connections there.
<Veznara> What do you think?
<Askudi> A particular lineage?
* Veznara says, indicating the notes that Askudi has taken
<Veznara> *Do* the lineages around here have symbols? Or coats of arms?
<Askudi> Most of them don't, not really, as far as I can tell.
<Veznara> So much for that idea, then.
<Askudi> What passes for the nobility here is even more attenuated than in western Malfan, where I grew up.
<Veznara> Ah. How is it in Malfan?
<Veznara> It isn't so far from here, after all. Compared to Taizi, at least.
<Askudi> Well, in the north and east it's much like anywhere else. But in the south there's the Grand Chief, who lives in the city of Romaz. It's like a hereditary monarchy but not like our lineage system.
<Askudi> The Grand Chief is at least nominally a follower of the Corps, but we all know better. It's through his protection that the atavists are allowed to persist.
<Veznara> Yes, I remember you mentioning that before.
<Askudi> There are local chiefs, but instead of being the heads of lineages, they're like petty local warlords.
<Askudi> But that's inevitable since the Hulti don't care about the ancestors the way we do.
<Veznara> And you were surrounded by that when you were growing up? :/
<Askudi> Yes, everywhere. The Voice and especially the Hand were mocked in many towns, including where I grew up.
<Veznara> That's terrible! I'm glad you were able to get away. How did you manage it?
<Askudi> Well, I received my religious training in Hasmala, not at home.
<Askudi> So, basically, getting away from them as soon as I could.
<Veznara> I was more fortunate, I think. Such disrespect for the Ancestors simply doesn't happen in Taizi.
<Askudi> Nor here, honestly. Not most of the time. I suspect the proportion of Hulti here among the locals is no higher than in many other places. But the problem is the Hulti who are coming here now from the Omban states, to a more lawless place.
<Veznara> I was wondering about that. As we were saying, western Malfan is relatively close to here compared to other Omban states...
<Askudi> Yes, precisely.
<Veznara> Well, I'll certainly let you know if I come across anything that indicates the Hulti in future Land Registry investigations.
<Veznara> It appear that this latest one doesn't, though.
<Veznara> Well, thank you again!
<Askudi> It seems not. If it looked like a Temple of the Voice, then it almost surely was.
<Askudi> No problem, always nice to talk to you!
<Veznara> I'll let you get back to your work. :)
* Veznara gets up, and replaces the papers carefully on the chair.

Veznara talks with Zusir, a former stoneguard


* Veznara heads over to Zeba's house in search of her nephew Zusir, the former stoneguard
* Askudi is now known as Zusir
* Zusir can be found hanging out at his aunt's house, as usual.
* Veznara comes up and greets him in a friendly manner
<Veznara> Hello, Zusir! How are you today?
* Zusir is a tall, well-muscled man perhaps in his late thirties, but with a boyish face.
<Zusir> Well enough, Hand Veznara, thank you for asking. And you?
<Veznara> I'm well, thank you. Still adjusting to the climate, I'm afraid - it's so rainy!
<Zusir> Yes, it's awful.
<Veznara> Never mind. It will pass in time, I'm sure.
<Veznara> And it's easier for me to adjust, having friendly faces from Taizi here to help me settle in.
<Zusir> Yes, well, Aunt Zeba would prefer that I stay here with her more often. But that is so very tiresome.
<Veznara> How do you prefer to pass the time?
<Zusir> Well, if I had the opportunity I'd like to do more training and sparring.
<Veznara> Ah. I imagine that's difficult with the rain coming down so hard on the training grounds.
<Zusir> Yes.
<Veznara> My own interests are focused more indoors, fortunately for me.
<Zusir> Oh, books and those sorts of things, I suppose?
<Veznara> Yes. I have quite an interest in history - it's full of interesting stories.
<Veznara> I've been trying to find out more about the local history here.
<Veznara> Do you know much about the local history?
<Veznara> It seems like a land for hardy people - I'm sure there must be a few warriors who have come from here.
<Zusir> No, not particularly.
<Veznara> No? I thought I'd heard about at least one from a lineage here... the Sashnir?
<Zusir> You mean a stoneguard?
<Veznara> Yes! Have you heard of him?
<Zusir> Sorry, I don't know any of the Aummesh stoneguards. I mean, I'm sure they have them, but ... I don't do that anymore.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive to figure out how he feels about that?)
<Zusir> (sure, go ahead)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Zusir> (he seems like he doesn't want to talk about that very much)
<Veznara> (which - the specific reason why he isn't a stoneguard? Or stoneguards in general?)
<Zusir> (that's really hard to say)
<Veznara> Oh, I'm sorry. I just thought you might know something about this person in particular.
<Zusir> No, I, uh, don't talk to stoneguards.
<Veznara> Oh, no. But I'm sure you do know a lot about them. This is somebody from long ago - he's already gone to join the Ancestors.
<Veznara> I was just wondering if he was well known - a sort of legend.
<Zusir> What was his name, then?
<Veznara> It was... Lesmidus? Leshmidus? Something like that. Of the Sashnir family.
<Veznara> They pronounced the letters slightly differently back then, so I'm not too sure of his first name, I'm afraid.
<Zusir> Never heard of him.
<Veznara> Well, that answers the question, then. :)
<Zusir> But, you know, I'm no scholar.
<Zusir> Just a big dumb ox, really.
<Veznara> It sounds like you're being too hard on yourself! I don't think there's anything wrong with having different interests...
<Zusir> That's very kind of you.
<Zusir> Look, if you want a stoneguard who knows a lot, you might talk to Ikhavor. She's the stoneguard at the main temple of the Voice in Kaskind.
<Veznara> Oh. Thank you. I'll have to meet her and ask about this, then.
<Zusir> Just, uh, probably don't mention that I sent you.
<Veznara> Ah. Well, our families are old allies - I'm not going to deny it if she asks.
<Zusir> That's fine. I mean ... I just wouldn't want to put you at any disadvantage.
* Veznara smiles at him
<Veznara> That's thoughtful of you.
<Veznara> I don't know if she'd be that eager to talk to me anyway. Do stoneguards generally have that much to do with the Hand?
<Zusir> Not particularly, but then, we are all serving the same greater purpose.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> I suppose it can't hurt to ask.
<Veznara> I'd like to learn more about the area, and it seems like everyone else already knows so much more than I do.
<Zusir> I hope you're able to figure it out. Ahh, let me know if you need anything. It's pretty boring around here.
<Veznara> Really? You mentioned training before; who do you train with?
<Zusir> Honestly? I, uh, would like to find some more skilled fighters to spar with, but I haven't had any luck.
<Zusir> I think my mother or my aunt have told the sentinels not to talk to me.
<Veznara> Oh. I'm sorry to hear that.
<Veznara> I don't know if there's anybody at the Land Registry who would be a good sparring partner. I'll have to keep an eye out...
<Zusir> I'd appreciate that.
<Veznara> Is there a particular fighting style you're looking for?
<Veznara> Not that I know much about it. :)
* Veznara says, trying to coax him into talking about something he enjoys
<Zusir> Well, my formal training is mostly with the hammer, but I have quite a lot of expertise in unarmed fighting, which is probably more suitable for sparring.
<Zusir> For some reason very few people want to spar with a big beefy guy with a giant warhammer.
<Veznara> I can see why not!
<Veznara> Unarmed fighting sounds like a challenging style, though.
<Zusir> Yes, it is. It's good exercise.
<Veznara> Is it commonly taught? It does sound like something that could obviously be very useful in situations where you aren't able to bear weapons, or where a fight breaks out unexpectedly.
<Zusir> It's a standard part of a stoneguard's training. We are, after all, trying not to create more ancestors, in defending the ones we've got.
<Zusir> Hammering on some distraught widow because her dead husband's lineage won't give her access is not recommended.
<Veznara> No, of course not. So it's a style that focuses more on immobilizing or neutralizing people than on harming them?
<Zusir> That's the idea, yes.
<Veznara> I wonder...
* Veznara looks at Zusir speculatively
<Veznara> ...do you think you'd be able to train others in this style?
<Veznara> Oh - not me.
<Zusir> I might.
* Veznara adds quickly
<Veznara> Hmmm.
<Zusir> But I don't think Auntie would approve. I think her view is that I need to be kept away from distractions.
<Veznara> . o O (If only I'd had this conversation with him last week... :s )
<Veznara> Ah. Well, it just seems to me that it sounds like a good way to handle aggressive people without escalating things.
<Veznara> That can be important.
<Zusir> Mostly we learn to prevent ourselves from being tripped or pinned. To always be able to extricate ourselves.
<Veznara> But also how to grapple and pin people yourself? Wrestling moves, sort of?
<Zusir> Yes, as necessary.
<Veznara> That sounds like something that could be very useful.
<Veznara> Learning it may be an incentive to get people to spar with you. I'll keep it in mind.
<Zusir> Veznara, I appreciate that you have a good relationship with my Aunt Zeba. But ... well, don't be surprised if she says no.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> I'm sorry to hear that - she's really so determined to keep you isolated?
<Zusir> You'd have to ask her.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Well, it's just a thought.
<Veznara> I hope *I
* may still come to visit you from time to time, at least.
<Zusir> Yes ... I'd like that.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> I'll be sure to come again some time, then.
<Veznara> For now, though, I'm afraid I must return to the Temple.
<Zusir> Good luck with your searching.
<Veznara> Thank you!
* Veznara will make her goodbyes, and take her leave
<Veznara> . o O (He didn't seem unintelligent. Maybe Zeba is judging him too harshly...)
<Veznara> . o O (I do wonder what he did to get sent here, though. :/ )

Junan and Kirikha go on a secret date


<Kirikha> (ok, how you setting this up then? you just going to meet her somewhere?)
<Junan> (considering how happy her pa would be if I picked her up at her door, yeah, meet somewhere)
<Kirikha> (OK, so presumably some evening, she basically sneaks out to meet you)
<Junan> (sounds good to me)
<Junan> (A friendly place, out of the rain, with drinks, is all I ask)
* Kirikha arrives, wearing a knee-length dress, an overcoat, and a hooded cloak that covers most of her face. Once she gets inside she removes the hood so you can see her.
* Kirikha sees you and darts over as if concerned about something, before sitting down quickly next to you.
* Junan smiles as she approaches
* Junan is wearing loose trousers and tunic, with a belt, a concension to the wet humidity
<Junan> Glad you could join me
<Kirikha> Well ... I'm glad I made it. I was worried I would be seen. But the rain helped - no one looked twice at a hooded figure.
<Junan> Have a drink, it will help settle you
* Junan offers her his cup
<Kirikha> Ahh, what do they serve here? I've never been to a bar in Ashnabis ... or .. well, any bar.
<Junan> I'm drinking some of the local brewed ale... its not bad
<Kirikha> All right, well, how bad can it be then?
<Kirikha> I'll try it.
<Junan> I'm sure we could get a bottle of wine corked if thats more to your taste
<Kirikha> Ah, I admit I have more experience with wines.
<Junan> I guessed as much
<Junan> you have a preference?
<Kirikha> Ah, no, not really.
* Kirikha blushes.
<Kirikha> Whatever they have that is somewhat civilized, you know, will be fine.
<Junan> A Daligashi red will do I think. A taste of home.
* Junan waves someone down to get the order
<Kirikha> Yes, home ... you know, I hardly remember it, some days.
<Junan> How long has it been for you?
<Kirikha> Three years now.
<Junan> No visits or travelling away from here in that time?
<Kirikha> Not really. Father doesn't like me to travel.
* Kirikha says, with perhaps just a hint of resentment.
<Junan> Time will tell, I'm sure opportunities may come up in the future.
<Junan> but after some wine, I'll play some songs for you from where every you would want to go
<Junan> its a poor substitute, I know, but its all I can offer
<Kirikha> So ... where do you learn all your songs from? Have you travelled a lot?
<Junan> I travelled throughout Daligash as part of my apprenticeship... beyond this is the farthest I've roamed.
<Kirikha> What brought you here?
<Junan> But I've heard stories and songs from other travelers and merchants when I helped at the family warehouses
<Junan> this is the frontier in the middle of a rush for fos... what better place to make your name.
<Junan> I think they leave out the rain, when they talk this place up
<Kirikha> Hmm.
* Junan smiles when the wine and cups arrive, filling up both
<Junan> And your family? Why the trek out here three years ago?
<Kirikha> Well ... we already have a name, so I didn't need that.
<Kirikha> Father was connected to the Senator from a long time ago, before I was born even. And when the Senator came out here he invited Father to come too.
<Kirikha> At first he said no, but then, he changed his mind, and the two of us came out.
<Junan> anything special change his mind?
<Kirikha> Ah, well, you know, Father keeps his own counsel.
<Junan> ah yes
<Junan> Family can be... complicated
<Kirikha> That is putting it mildly.
<Junan> but I didn't invite you out dwell on the complicated, were here to enjoy ourselves
<Kirikha> Yes, exactly.
* Kirikha sips her wine.
* Junan sips his wine as well
<Kirikha> It's nice to be out of that house. It's like a prison sometimes, despite all the opulence.
<Kirikha> I know I shouldn't complain. There's such poverty here and I have literally never had to do any harder work than sorting coins.
<Junan> Its the rain... it makes everything feel oppressive... unless you have good company
<Kirikha> You're kind.
<Junan> I needed good company tonight, and I'm very glad I have it
<Kirikha> Did something bad happen?
<Junan> Bad day at work, that's all. I just want to you have a good time, not lay my burdens on you.
<Kirikha> Oh, okay.
<Kirikha> I am having a good time.
* Kirikha smiles.
<Junan> Lets make it even better
* Junan sips his wine and pick up his lute
* Junan leans in to her
<Junan> we'll start with a tune to match the wine
* Junan picks a fast timed Daligashi road song
* Junan watches her eyes, reading her reaction to the music
* Kirikha seems to like it, and taps her feet along with the tune.
* Junan will sing a few verses, not too loud to draw lots of attention
* Kirikha claps when you finish.
<Kirikha> Oh, that's very good!
<Junan> Why thank you
* Junan takes a sip of wine
<Kirikha> How old are you, Junan?
<Junan> Nineteen, only a few months ago.
* Kirikha shakes her head inscrutably.
<Junan> something amiss?
<Kirikha> No, it's just ... you're only two years older than me but you've lived so much more.
<Kirikha> Father doesn't even let me come to the Senator's parties, usually.
<Junan> If living more is what you want, I will do what I can to aid you.
<Kirikha> I don't want to get you in any trouble with the Senator.
* Junan chuckles
<Junan> Kirikha, any troubles I have with the Senator are by my choice... don't worry yourself over them
<Junan> we get along well
<Kirikha> He's such an interesting figure. You remind me of him, a little bit. I mean, much younger of course!
<Junan> I would hope so on the younger part
* Junan laughs
* Junan starts to play a tongue and cheek song about a merchant obsessed with his favorite gold coin
* Kirikha smiles and is humming along
* Junan finishes smartly and smiles
<Junan> (I can just play and sing a set, taking requests from Kirikha on what she wants to hear, or from where)
<Kirikha> (ok)
<Junan> The wine is done, the set is finished...
<Junan> what would my lady like to do now?
<Kirikha> Well ... I should probably get home ... in case Father checks in on me.
<Junan> I can walk with you, if you wish. We could do some living on the way.
<Kirikha> All right. I'd like that.
* Kirikha smiles sweetly.
* Junan smiles as well
<Junan> (how much 'living' is Kirikha game for?)
<Kirikha> (not too much tonight!)
* Kirikha will let you kiss her, perhaps, if you don't get too handsy about it.
* Junan is as handsy as she wants him to be