Ashnabis session 28

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 28 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: March 8, 2020
Fair Cycle date:

Prologue


<AshnabisGM> Once in a long while, when the full moon sets at dawn, the herdsmen of the city, the Enskrai, gather to sing a haunting melody in their own tongue. They follow their own calendar, and the cycles of the moon, but for you, it is the end of Kerai, and with it, the end of the dry season.
<AshnabisGM> The end of their song serves as a reminder of what a strange land this is, with languages and peoples pushed together out of economic ties, but not knowing how the other really thinks.
<AshnabisGM> As yet, now that it is the month of Latas, there is no word from the hith, and no word from Charadip. No sign of war, and yet no evidence of peace. And worst of all, still no sign of rain.
<AshnabisGM> And yet one small sign of hope - together, you rescued the corpseborn prisoners held by the princess Galdai, rescued from captivity and torture.
<AshnabisGM> Yet just as night follows day, and clear skies rain, so too do all actions have consequences.

Katenzhi's parents tell her they have two possible marriage partners for her to consider


<AshnabisGM> Katenzhi, you and Bivizmi have been busy setting up Oignestros on your plot of land west of the Kaskos. Seems like a jovial sort of fellow, very competent, if a bit odd.
<AshnabisGM> Between that, and chores on the Menagerie, and the land registry, that doesn't leave much time for anything else. But you are enjoying a quiet hour after dinner on the ship when you hear familiar voices abovedecks: your parents.
<Katenzhi> <w> oh for fuck sake...
<Romoga> Daughter! We are here!
<Katenzhi> Down here!
* Romoga calls down unnecessarily
* Romoga is wearing a blue and brown dashi with trousers and a long silver chain around his neck.
* Shiklazh also seems to have dressed up a bit - her long hair is carefully braided and she's wearing a red dress that looks to be new, perhaps Choradani.
* Daifan is now known as Korivan
<Katenzhi> You both look nice!
<Shiklazh> Daughter, how are you? It's been too long.
* Shiklazh comes over to give you a hug.
* Katenzhi will hug back.
<Katenzhi> I've been... busy.
<Katenzhi> But good. How are you two doing?
* Romoga smiles uncomfortably.
<Romoga> Ahh, well enough, I suppose.
<Katenzhi> ...what's wrong?
<Shiklazh> It's been difficult, especially on your father, but it's too dangerous out there to spend too much time on the sea. We made sure the rest of the fleet is only taking southward routes for the time being. Thankfully they've had rain down there.
<Katenzhi> That's good. It seems like things are quiet enough here for now at least. Hopefully the rain will come soon.
<Romoga> It's like I've been telling you for months, this isn't natural. Mystics or hith, I don't know which is to blame, but there should have been rain in the Territory by now.
* Shiklazh sort of shrugs like she's heard this conversation 50 times before (which she probably has)
<Romoga> You should look into that, Katenzhi. Find out who's to blame.
<Shiklazh> Well, never mind that, we have some wonderful news for you! Stuck here in port, we've been hard at work nonetheless, making deals on your behalf.
* Shiklazh says, smiling cheerfully
* Romoga smiles proudly.
* Katenzhi stops in mid grin.
<Katenzhi> Oh.
<Katenzhi> Um.
<Katenzhi> Ok.
<Katenzhi> What uh... what did you do?
<Shiklazh> We have two candidates for you to choose from, to meet whenever it works for you. Both good men, who would make fine husbands.
<Katenzhi> ...oh.
<Shiklazh> The first one is a year or two younger than you, Gefraz Argolda. You know, that's a very good lineage from back home. Not as wealthy as it once was, and this Gefraz is from a lesser branch, but very well-respected. He came here last year and is in the fos business, same as you, which we thought you would appreciate.
<Romoga> Argolda .... Argolda!
<Katenzhi> (Do I know anything about this person?)
<Shiklazh> We've done business with him once or twice. Reliable, competent enough, but he's young - he surely could use a strong Lovresi hand to guide him.
<AshnabisGM> (do you have K:nobility? otherwise, no)
<Katenzhi> (No, just K:Local)
<AshnabisGM> (no, never heard of him - although like your parents said if he's only been here a year, that's not weird)
<Katenzhi> Surely.
<Romoga> There's also Sarduvos Ghorokron. You may remember me talking about my cousin Ubeba, well, she's married to a Ghorokron.
<Shiklazh> Now he's here at the Fort, a Sentinel, and a lieutenant there. So in a sense you already work together. And, I have to say - very handsome ^-^
* Shiklazh says with a knowing nod.
<Katenzhi> (Do I know him?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (you could roll k:local on that)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It sort of rings a bell - you might have seen him around before, but you don't really know him. He's some Sentinel beefcake ;)
<Katenzhi> I ummm... that sounds familiar. Maybe.
<Romoga> A lieutenant today, perhaps a general someday.
<Shiklazh> Now Katenzhi... I know this is a difficult decision. And what we want, above all, is for you to be happy and have a good husband. So this is your choice - we can arrange for you to meet them both, but we won't pressure you to pick one or the other.
* Shiklazh says with a Look at her husband.
<Romoga> Absolutely.
* Romoga nods firmly.
<Katenzhi> Do you want me to be happy or do you want me to have a good husband?
<Shiklazh> Both?
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Shiklazh> Just... give them a chance. Maybe you will like one.
<Katenzhi> I'll meet with them.
<Katenzhi> No promises, though. I still have time.
<Romoga> Time?
<Katenzhi> I mean... I don't have to be married tomorrow, right?
<Romoga> Not tomorrow, no.
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> ...
<Romoga> But we're not inclined to wait on this.
<Shiklazh> No, of course not. But if you like one, and he likes you, why delay?
<Katenzhi> This is my life. I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.
<Katenzhi> I don';t know either of them.
* Shiklazh nods
<Romoga> Not yet.
<Romoga> We don't want you to make a mistake either. That's why we're here to help.
<Katenzhi> I said I'll meet them.
<Shiklazh> Good, very well. We'll arrange times for you to talk to each of them.
* Romoga smiles.
<Katenzhi> Ok. I'll give it a shot.
<Romoga> That's my girl.
<Katenzhi> You do know I'm not very charming, thoguh, right? I'd be surprised if they even want to marry me.
<Romoga> We highlighted all your finest points.
<Shiklazh> Any man would be LUCKY to have a wife like you!
* Shiklazh says firmly
<Katenzhi> Thanks?
<Romoga> A stake in your boat ... a stake in your family's business ... your fos farming ...
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> Right.
<Katenzhi> My good points.
<Romoga> Your father's good looks ... :)
<Shiklazh> Your mother's wits :)
* Shiklazh elbows her husband lightly
<Katenzhi> I know you guys are just doing what you think is best for me.
<Romoga> All right, well, which one would you like to meet first?
<Katenzhi> I guess... Sarduvos. At least he sounds like he might be a bit more down to Earth.
<Shiklazh> Very well - we'll make arrangements.
<Katenzhi> Ok.
<Shiklazh> Now, we won't keep you, I'm sure you have much to be doing.
<Katenzhi> Just give me some warning, please.
<Shiklazh> Of course.
* Shiklazh gives you another hug before they leave, and whispers a 'thank you' in your ear.
* Katenzhi sighs and nods.

Veznara meets with Galdai for the first time after the prisoners' rescue


<AshnabisGM> Veznara, the past several times you've travelled along the Colony Road up towards Galdai's plantation, your mind has been filled with anxiety at what you'll find among her corpseborn prisoners, for whose pastoral care you have been charged.
<AshnabisGM> Now, though, your mind is filled with anxiety at what you'll find or say to the princess herself now that her prisoners have been released. You hope your skills at gambling will pay off in keeping a straight face and not revealing too much to the princess.
<AshnabisGM> The news has certainly spread through the community about the prisoners' escape, although their current whereabouts do not appear to be known, or at least, not by anyone you've spoken to.
* Veznara does her best to calm herself as she approaches the estate
<AshnabisGM> You travel up to the estate. At the far corner, as you were already aware, the entire prison compound has been reduced to rubble as a mighty hole has opened up mysteriously underneath it. Yes, that will do ... right?
* Romoga is now known as Endu
<Veznara> . o O (The main house appears undamaged, at least...)
* Endu greets you at the door.
<Endu> Hello, Hand Veznara. Thank you for coming.
* Endu says as neutrally as possible.
<Veznara> Hello, Endu. I hope you are well?
* Endu inhales sharply, then exhales.
<Endu> Nothing is well, I'm afraid.
<Endu> But thank you for asking.
<Veznara> I'm sorry to hear it.
<Endu> Come in. The Princess will be down shortly.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Thank you.
<AshnabisGM> You are escorted in, and a short time later, the Princess descends slowly down the staircase and into the parlor.
* Endu is now known as Galdai
* Galdai looks a little more frail and weary than the last time you saw her. Nonetheless, she is resplendently dressed in a purple gown of what you presume must be the latest Taizian fashions - you have certainly not seen such designs yet.
* Veznara curtseys, and waits to be addressed
<Galdai> Oh, dear Hand Veznara, you must be beside yourself with anguish. Our poor charges, set upon this forbidding swampland with no one to guard them.
<Veznara> (Is that open sarcasm?)
<AshnabisGM> (you can SM)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Veznara> (I mean, it certainly comes across that way in text!)
<AshnabisGM> (you don't think so - she seems earnest?)
<Veznara> Your Imperial Highness. I am glad to see you safely returned, though I am afraid you have come back to bad news, as you say.
<Veznara> I hope you and Lady Ziftu are well?
<Galdai> We are, thank you. My granddaughter is of course very upset at what has happened as well.
<Veznara> Of course. I... have only heard the general outline, myself.
<Galdai> I'm afraid we don't know all the details ourselves.
<Galdai> Thank goodness no one appears to have been injured.
* Veznara lets out a small sigh of relief
<Veznara> Thank the Ancestors.
<Galdai> Now, I want to assure you that no one holds you responsible for their loss ... or for retrieving them.
<Veznara> . o O (Responsible for their loss?)
<Veznara> Ma'am?
<Galdai> I can only imagine that you might feel responsible. As their pastoral caretaker. But of course, how could you have known anything?
<Galdai> Their actual caretakers have been ... taken care of.
<Veznara> You refer to the guards, ma'am?
<Galdai> Yes, of course.
<Veznara> You say none of them were injured, ma'am.
<Galdai> Well of course our concern was that in the collapse of the buildings, that some of our charges would have been trapped in there. But the rubble was clear.
<Veznara> That is good, then. But there has been no sign of the unfortunates since?
<Galdai> Well, I have only just returned.
<Veznara> Of course, ma'am. Please forgive me. I did not mean to impose upon you with my questions.
<Veznara> I hope the journey, at least, was pleasant?
<Galdai> Oh, yes, thank you. The wedding was lovely, and it was a fine opportunity to catch up on matters back home.
<Galdai> His Imperial Majesty is well.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> I am most glad to hear it.
<Galdai> But now I am here, and back, and must move forward.
<Veznara> As you say, ma'am.
<Galdai> If you were me, how would you proceed?
<Veznara> Ma'am? You mean, in dealing with the unfortunate event here?
* Galdai nods.
<Galdai> Exactly.
<Veznara> I... have no experience in such matter, I am afraid. And I still do not know exactly what happened. However, I understand the unfortunates escaped into the swamp? Has it been possible to track them?
<Galdai> Not so far, no.
<Galdai> My first instinct was to approach General Ghurtai for assistance. But then, what can she do? She has her own troubles.
<Veznara> Indeed, ma'am.
<Galdai> And of course, if the prisoners have left the Territory, who knows how they could be retrieved? Not that I think that they have, mind you.
<Veznara> I should not think so, ma'am.
<Galdai> Do you think your Order will seek them out?
<Veznara> I can certainly raise the issue with Hand Dezmali, ma'am, if you wish me to. I do not know what resources we can allocate to such a search, if they have gone far.
<Veznara> I have not heard of anything so far.
<Galdai> Well, I simply don't know. Perhaps it's best to just let the whole matter go.
<Galdai> I'm an old woman and hardly suited to be a jailor, I've come to realize.
<Veznara> You have certainly done your duty to the Emperor, ma'am. No-one could blame you for an act of the Ancestors such as this, I am sure.
<Galdai> Of course, there is also the question of our duty to the citizens of the Territory. These are, after all, convicted witches.
<Veznara> Do you think they would seek to do harm here, then, ma'am?
<Galdai> I don't know, do you suppose?
<Veznara> I certainly hope not!
<Veznara> I trust Your Imperial Highness is amply guarded, should they return with malign intent?
<Galdai> I will be fine, I think.
<Veznara> May the Ancestors protect you, ma'am.
<Galdai> I suppose, now that they are gone, your superiors will not need you here any further.
<Veznara> Ma'am?
<Veznara> Hand Dezmali has not indicated that to me.
<Galdai> Ah. Well, that is a kindness, to an old lady, to be sure.
* Galdai smiles.
<Veznara> I am here to attend to you and Lady Ziftu first and foremost, ma'am. It is my honour, and my pleasure.
<Veznara> I would be pleased to continue to do so.
<Galdai> Very well. Thank you, for coming to me in my time of need.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> I am most glad to be of service to you, ma'am.
<Veznara> Shall we go to the chapel and conduct our normal observances?

Junan is given a job by Kikhash


<AshnabisGM> Junan, this evening you're playing your usual fare of love tunes at the Esteemed Clam, trying to keep the patrons' minds off the dry weather.
<AshnabisGM> (you can make a Perform check if you like)
<Junan> (ok)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+15
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+15 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 15 ] totals [ 31 ].
<Junan> (somebody treated me right, I'm on my game tonight!)
<AshnabisGM> As you are playing, you notice a heavyset younger man sitting, nursing his beer, nodding along and staring at you intently. There's definitely something about him, but you can't place it.
<Junan> (odd... its not like I'm gonna forget a face...)
<AshnabisGM> After you finish your set, you see him sitting at a table for two, with the other seat open.
* Galdai is now known as YoungMan
* Junan will get a drink and settle into the empty seat
* YoungMan is wearing a plain brown dashi tied at the waist with a red belt
<Junan> Mind if I sit?
<YoungMan> Oh, hello. Not at all.
<YoungMan> You play well, for a Daligashi.
<Junan> Little coin in music for most, so it's not a popular pastime. You look familiar, but I certain we haven't met.
* YoungMan smiles.
<YoungMan> Do you know 'The Fanciful Dreamer'? It's the favorite of a friend of mine.
* YoungMan smiles more broadly.
<Junan> (now that sounds familiar...)
* Junan really looks at this fellow
<AshnabisGM> (Perception check, then?)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 17 ].
* YoungMan smiles again, perhaps with a twinkle in his eye. You still can't place him, though.
<AshnabisGM> (but you can remember the last time someone asked you for the Fanciful Dreamer...)
<AshnabisGM> (http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Ashnabis_session_18#Junan_talks_to_Zefa_and_later_to_Kihkash)
<Junan> ah yes, I do know that one, but I am saving it for someone in particular.
<Junan> They're not here tonight alas
<AshnabisGM> As you reflect on the young man's face, it relaxes a little, a few wrinkles appearing here and there, and what you had taken for fat shifts to a muscular bulk, and you recognize Kikhash Urdondu, General Ghurtai's chief envoy.
* YoungMan is now known as Kikhash
<Kikhash> Hello.
<Junan> So I sit here, very corrected... but why the show of deception?
<Kikhash> I hoped I would see you here tonight, Junan. It would have been awkward, perhaps, to have to visit you at the registry. Questions might be asked.
<Kikhash> The matter is one of confidence.
<Junan> discussions between sets are known for confidence.
<Junan> I like my men less bulky, if you want to get my attention faster, next time.
* Kikhash laughs.
<Kikhash> I'm a big man, it's easier to go big than to go small.
<Kikhash> And my wife might object.
<Junan> we all have our burdens
* Junan muses
<Junan> So do you want to talk here, or should I meet you somewhere more clandestine?
* YOAW_Narrator is now known as Jimba
<Kikhash> No, we should be fine here, I think.
<Junan> If so, then you can buy me a better drink
<Kikhash> Of course!
* Kikhash summons the barmaid to take care of you.
* Junan sated with his new drink aks
<Junan> so what is it you need to discuss?
<Kikhash> I have a job for you - but one whose nature will require some explanation.
<Junan> alright. Have at it then.
<Kikhash> In around ten days, there will be a meeting between representatives of the Fort and representatives of the Academy at Zhardif, to attempt to determine what to do about the situation on Pashas.
<Kikhash> In order to hold it on neutral ground, we have agreed to hold it at the kelta, which, in Jaigadu's absence, is being controlled by Zefa of the Teltai, as you know.
<Kikhash> The difficulty is that Zefa has informed me that, for some reason, my name is not on her list of envoys to be allowed privileges at the kelta.
<Junan> thats bold of her
<Kikhash> Indeed, that's what I said. In less flattering language.
* Junan chuckles
<Kikhash> I was ... peeved.
* Kikhash scowls.
<Junan> I can already see where this is heading, but please continue
<Kikhash> Of course she assures me that it is a mere oversight, but that she does not want to defy Jaigadu, or any of the keltas to whom our list has been distributed, until the matter is resolved. Needless to say, I was not impressed.
<Kikhash> But I cannot violate these rules without causing an even greater problem.
<Kikhash> It would not be an auspicious start to our kelta's claim of neutrality.
<Junan> Its a short sighted game on her part, really.
<Kikhash> That's what I thought. And perhaps still do. If it is just a matter of spite, then I fully agree.
* Junan ponders for a second
<Junan> Zefa does not have much respect for the Envoys in Kaskind from what I've seen.
<Kikhash> I'm afraid you are right.
<Kikhash> At any rate, I am obliged to find another envoy to attend the event, and to participate in diplomatic affairs. Your name came to mind, for any number of reasons.
<Junan> I'm no masterful political manipulator, I just know people.
<Kikhash> No, that's true.
<Kikhash> But firstly, you have been to Pashas on behalf of the General, twice now. Additionally, you have been to Zhardif on a recent mission as well. You are, as I am, an official representative of the Fort, so you will be acceptable to all parties. And finally, I believe that you like Zefa just about as well as I do.
<Junan> And Jaigadu still favours me, so Zefa will be hesitant to find reason to turn me away.
<Kikhash> You are definitively on the list.
<Junan> the old man always wanted bigger and better things for me
<Kikhash> Well perhaps this is your big chance, then!
<Junan> Everyone always remember the big singers, only a few who pay attention look to the one picking the strings as the real talent.
<Junan> I have no desire to be a big singer
<Junan> I can help you with this
* Kikhash smiles.
<Kikhash> The meeting itself is not an arbitration, but an opportunity for both parties to discuss what has happened, to share information. It is our understanding that Charadip continues to deny any role in the raid on Pashas, as of course do we.
<Kikhash> Your role, then, is to mediate, to ensure that it goes smoothly, to be alert to what is being said, and what is not being said.
* Junan nods
<Junan> how soon?
<Kikhash> Ten days' time.
<Junan> barely enough time to have something tailored, but I'll see what I can do
* Junan smiles
<Kikhash> Your hat is the part they'll be looking at.
<Kikhash> Beyond that role as assigned, I would like you to be alert for Zefa's interference in this matter.
<Kikhash> I am concerned that she is actively violating our Laws of Neutrality.
<Junan> Jaigadu believes he has her under control, but like you I'd like to be certain for myself
* Kikhash nods.
<Kikhash> It is one thing for one such as myself to have an employer, and to show loyalty to those to whom I am contracted.
<Kikhash> But to surreptitiously hold an allegiance, especially at the kelta ... I would like very much to figure out what is going on there.
* Junan nods
<Junan> I should get back to playing. If there is more you need to inform me of, you know how to find me.
* Kikhash smiles.
* Junan downs the last of his drink
<Kikhash> I'll find a way.

Daifan and Ughiva discuss where the escapees might go


<AshnabisGM> Daifan, it's been a very hectic few days since the bold escape from Galdai's compound. The former prisoners are well, or as well as can be, but clearly some of them have had some trauma due to their experiences. Ughiva, their leader, has been as comforting as she can, but you've also had an opportunity to see others at work.
<AshnabisGM> Kida (Cudgel), Ughiva's partner, has been helping many of her people throughout their imprisonment, and continues to occupy that role now that they are free.
<AshnabisGM> But none of these folks, not even really the three who have been free for a while, know this land or its customs well. And there is of course real danger still.
<AshnabisGM> You have heard that Galdai has returned, but nothing more than that from her. As for the escape, you have not heard any suggestion that you and your friends' involvement was known, thankfully. But surely it would not be impossible to find out.
<AshnabisGM> And of course, while Banei is surely safer than almost anywhere else in the territory, fifty people is a lot to keep out of prying eyes.
* Ughiva approaches you, a few days after the escape, in a quiet moment.
<Daifan> Spoons - how are things?
<Ughiva> Things are ... I don't know.
<Ughiva> We won.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well, its an improvement, not life in a palace, I guess
<Ughiva> It is, and I thank you and your friends for your work for my people.
<Ughiva> But it is not the end, just a beginning.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> The question has already arisen, what do we do now.
<Daifan> Yes. DO you know what you want to do?
<Ughiva> Sure, I'd like to finish what we started and collapse the rest of the plantation, with Galdai inside it.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> practically?
<Ughiva> I don't know ... I feel like, in our power, we could do almost anything. But I know that others need time, for their spirits to heal.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> You know there's more to being practical that just... capacity.
<Ughiva> Of course.
<Daifan> I understand wanting to make her pay. I want that too. I just dont' want ti to come back on anyone else
<Ughiva> You've already given so much. And I know you didn't expect us to collapse the prison. I got the idea for that from Veznara.
<Daifan> oh?
* Daifan grins
<Daifan> Sh'ed be horrified, I'm sure
<Ughiva> Well, in a way.
* Ughiva smiles.
<Ughiva> When she made it clear that it was important that she not be aware of or involved in all of the plan. So she could deny knowing it.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> And I didn't want you to be responsible ... in case we killed some of her people there.
* Daifan nods again, but shrugs
<Daifan> I think if they died in the collapse.... that's diffrent form being found with a knife wought in their kidneys >.>
<Ughiva> Yes, they're much less likely to be able to be resurrected if they are crushed to a pulp.
<Daifan> there's that
* Daifan says dryly
<Ughiva> How long do you think we can stay here in Toadtown?
<Daifan> Mmm.... that depends
<Daifan> 50 new people all at once is a lot. But a few people at a time, over the next season, when we get newcomers anyway....
<Daifan> I think we coudl find a way, it you wanted to stay.
<Ughiva> Even with Galdai looking for us? Especially for those of us who are with child?
* Daifan thinks
<Daifan> well. They don't have to keep carrying the children if they don't want to. But if they don't care then.... that's the hand's problem. Galdai.... I don't know.
<Daifan> If we can get a sense, even, of how hard she is looking, or what she is planning.... it will be easier to know
<Ughiva> You will go and speak to Veznara, then?
<Daifan> I can. And Wolf.
* Ughiva nods.
<Ughiva> After all this effort ... she's not just going to forget about us.
<Daifan> then maybe we can get someone to lay a pengi on her to turn her tongue to toads if she tries to speak against any of you, or do you harm >.>
<Ughiva> Rooster, I hear, is the person to talk to about such things.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> yes, absolutely
<Daifan> he;s excellent. The trick is getting close enough to the old botch >.>
<Daifan> (bitch)
<Ughiva> A pengi can still be undone by powerful manipulations of Source, though.
<Daifan> maybe if its done right though
<Daifan> she wouldn't be able to do it herself....
<Ughiva> Perhaps.
<Daifan> Maybe I can talk to Rooster
<Daifan> he is good at these things
<Daifan> even without details... maybe a good pengi woudl keep her from fucking with any of our people again
* Ughiva nods.
<Daifan> can I ask you something though?
<Ughiva> Of course.
<Daifan> where did you get your first fos?
<Ughiva> From a shipment headed near our aizer.
<Daifan> hmmm, okay.
<Daifan> well. if you don't stay here.... where would you want to go?
<Ughiva> I don't think we could go home.
<Daifan> I hear there's lots of pirates already operating in the area, maybe you could give them a run for their money ;)
<Ughiva> So, perhaps elsewhere in Ashnabis.
<Daifan> it's a big territory
<Daifan> you coudl go up to CHaradip and terrify the mystics :P
* Ughiva laughs.
<Ughiva> We would stay somewhere where there is fos. That much, I know for sure
<Daifan> there are lots of places.... but peopel are always expanding in the territory, too
<Daifan> you coudl go bother Brother Bones...
<Daifan> He hates people. He moght like witches...
<Daifan> He's a corpseborn revenant mystic.... which seemed so impossible before I met you @_@
<Daifan> (budal)
<Ughiva> I think ... for my own part, I might wish to stay. I owe much to you.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> I had wondered, if you might like to join us. In our power.
<Daifan> Ohhh....
<Daifan> is that different, from just being in the chain?
* Ughiva nods.
<Ughiva> It is. It is about being the spinner and not simply the spun.
<Daifan> ...I admit I am....very curious @)@
<Daifan> I'm sure there are others here who would be also
<Daifan> But I've never realy tried to use fos before, not on my own...
<Ughiva> You would not be on your own. That is the point.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> Mmhmmm! Yes, true. Then I would be honoured to learn.
<Ughiva> Well, then ... we will need to think about how to protect our community.
* Daifan nods

Llillilli and Thelef are reunited


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Llillilli, you are just coming out of a particularly tedious day of work and considering whether to pick up some mediocre and overpriced dinner or just go back to the boat and make something there.
<Llillilli> (we have food at home)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> "Llillilli!" - someone across the street calls your name.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You turn and see Thelef there, handsome as ever, although looking a bit tired. He wears a blue dashi and has his pfethes slung over his back.
<Llillilli> Thelef!
<Llillilli> :O :D
* Sarduvoz is now known as Thelef
* Llillilli runs over.
* Thelef smiles, holding a hand out to you.
* Llillilli grabs it, smiling happily.
<Thelef> I just got back - I hoped I'd find you here. I was going to try the boat next.
<Thelef> I've missed you so much.
<Llillilli> Me too.
<Llillilli> You look well...
* Llillilli hugs you tightly.
* Thelef returns the hug, lifting you off your feet for a moment.
* Llillilli squeaks a little
* Thelef laughs.
* Thelef sets you down again, but keeps his hand joined with yours.
<Thelef> How have you been while I've been away?
<Llillilli> Alright. Busy.
<Llillilli> I worried about you.
<Thelef> I worried about you too. Maybe that's just how it is now, if we're apart.
<Thelef> Even though I knew you were probably fine.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> HOw was it? In SUlise?
<Thelef> Let's get some food and I can tell you what's been happening in Sulise.
<Llillilli> Yes please.
<Thelef> Back to the boat, or do you want to go somewhere nearby?
<Llillilli> I am impatient to hear about it. So somewhere close.
* Thelef nods
* Thelef will walk with you to a nearby restaurant, which seems less mediocre with him there :3
<Llillilli> (indeed :3)
* Thelef gets us some crispy fried dumplings and a couple bowls of soup, and will sit down with you.
<Thelef> So... I'm sure you can imagine things are tense right now at court.
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Thelef> King Whuthe has been contending with various factions - those who think that the people can best weather this storm by retreating from contact with humans, and those who think that a more aggressive response to the attack on Pashas is needed.
* Llillilli nods, listening.
<Thelef> There is considerable pressure right now to send away the huwhi from court. To remove what they call 'outsiders' from positions of influence. Specifically, but not exclusively, me.
* Llillilli frowns.
<Thelef> They also call upon those of the people living here to return to Sulise, ostensibly for their own safety.
<Llillilli> THe People have all left Pfaeshes already.
* Thelef nods
<Thelef> They would have the same thing happen elsewhere, wherever they live among humans.
<Llillilli> The pirates singled them out in the attack, I hear.
<Thelef> They say it's a danger right now. And... they may be right, if more such attacks occur. But they also can't simply decide to live in Sulise indefinitely - to give up their traditional claims on the shorelands.
<Llillilli> I fear that someone is trying to stir up a war between the humans and the People.
<Thelef> I fear this too.
<Thelef> I'm here to speak with Thulle and Fifelus, and get a sense of whether they intend to return to Sulise, as some demand, or stay here and continue to treat with the humans.
<Llillilli> I can't forget about the dreams I had.
* Thelef nods
<Thelef> Speaking of that...
<Thelef> I proposed a plan to King Whuthe. But... it involves you, and I'm worried I might have overstepped my bounds. If you don't want to do this, I'll understand - I'll figure out some other way.
<Llillilli> WHat is it?
<Llillilli> I want to help.
<Thelef> Many know that you were touched by a selleluf at your pfullaes. There were so many witnesses that the solars cannot deny it happened. They can try to claim it is meaningless in a human, but they can't prevent word from spreading about it.
<Thelef> You were blessed by the touch of the sun, a sign that among the people would normally mark someone out as a future solar.
<Llillilli> That much I know...
<Thelef> I suggested to the king that if you came to court and were permitted to undergo testing to demonstrate that you truly are chosen, it might convince some who are wavering that huwhi are part of the people, that we belong with them.
<Thelef> If this was out of line, I apologize. I don't want to place you in an uncomfortable situation.
<Llillilli> I can do that.
* Thelef smiles in relief and pride.
<Thelef> Many of the solars would not want you to pass their tests. I don't know what they might devise for you - it could be something very difficult, or all but impossible to succeed. But if you are willing to try, even that gesture might mean something to those who are uncertain one way or the other.
<Llillilli> I am.
<Llillilli> WHen do we go?
<Thelef> Thank you.
<Thelef> In a few days' time, if that's possible. I do need to speak with Fifelus and Thulle, and maybe a few others, while I'm here, but I don't want to leave for too long - the factions working against me will be busy while I'm away.
<Llillilli> I will be ready.
<Thelef> I can't thank you enough.
* Llillilli smiles.
<Llillilli> I'm happy to do it.
<Llillilli> I hope it will help.
<Thelef> It's not how I had hoped to bring you to court - I imagined getting to show you around, relaxed, peaceful, just the two of us - but perhaps it's the best way for now.
<Thelef> I don't think we'll be in physical danger. Things haven't progressed to that level, thank goodness. But they may want to make things uncomfortable for us.
<Llillilli> Well, I can deal with that.
* Thelef nods, smiling.
<Thelef> I'll be by your side.
<Llillilli> That will make it easy.
<Llillilli> :)
* Junan is now known as Junan_AFK
<Llillilli> I did go to Pfaeshes, you know...
* Thelef nods
<Llillilli> We brought back Liwhis.
<Thelef> I hear it was very bad there. Those who escaped told of a violent attack.
<Llillilli> He had tried to sabotage their boats and. Well.
<Thelef> Oh, the idiot... well. I'm glad he survived.
<Llillilli> He was quite hurt, but we were able to get him out
* Thelef nods
<Thelef> Where is he now?
<Llillilli> At your lineage house.
<Llillilli> He cannot go back to Pfaeshes...
<Thelef> Ah, good. He'll be well looked after there.
<Llillilli> I suppose it is not a good idea for him to go to Sulise now either.
<Thelef> It might not be the best time. Especially since he can be hot-headed. I would want to be sure he won't stir up too much trouble.
<Thelef> But if he can promise to behave, perhaps.
<Llillilli> One would think he has learned his lesson. But...
<Thelef> Mmm, one might think that, but...
<Llillilli> I'll leave that decision up to you.
* Llillilli grins
* Thelef sighs a bit, but nods.
<Thelef> I'll speak with him, and try to impress upon him the need to not make waves right now.
<Thelef> If he can agree to that, then he can come with us.
<Llillilli> If he's naughty you can send him back with me ;)
<Thelef> I mean... if you're willing to have him always within thirty feet of us ;)
<Thelef> There are others there who can control the currents to allow him to breathe, I can find someone to babysit him if we want some privacy.
<Llillilli> That would be good ;)
* Thelef smiles, taking your hand from across the table.
<Thelef> Speaking of that... I did miss you, very much. And... it's not very private at the boat, but they do have rooms for rent here, I believe. If you wanted :)
<Llillilli> Oh...
* Llillilli smiles behind her hand
<Llillilli> Okay... :3
* Thelef grins and will go and get us a room, then.

Jimba and Liraula make plans


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Jimba, you're cleaning the deck - Mogri and Bashi rolled in some rotten fish guts and tracked the mess on board. Having doused the unrepentant dogs, you're now engaged in getting rid of the remaining traces of their adventure.
* Jimba is maybe a little annoyed, but mostly doesn't mind this sort of work.
* Thelef is now known as Liraula
<Liraula> Hey, Jimba!
* Liraula calls from the dock
<Liraula> Permission to come aboard? ... What's that smell?
* Jimba looks over the edge, a little surprised, but smiles.
<Jimba> Permission granted! :)
<Jimba> It's rotten fish guts.
<Jimba> Dogs.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Liraula> Wet dog mixed with ... I was going to say. rotten fish.
* Liraula comes on board.
<Liraula> Did you get into something, you scoundrels?
<Jimba> I'd offer you a drink or something, but I imagine this puts that off.
* Liraula says to the dogs, who wag their tails happily.
<Liraula> I think I'll refrain, yes, just this once.
<Jimba> Yes, they are very bad dogs and should sit and think about what they did.
* Jimba says dotingly.
<Liraula> (they'll sit obligingly)
<Liraula> Well, I was coming to talk business. Pick up my share of profits from the shipment of Imbis Blue, assuming it's moved, and then maybe talk about another deal.
<Jimba> (Is it moved?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can make a Diplomacy roll to see how well you've managed to move it :)
<Jimba> (Oh no)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Jimba> (Come on.)
<Jimba> (I mean, still not bad, overall, just not good for me.)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Well, you've managed to move some of it. You have 50 gp in profits so far, which you're splitting 50/50 with Liraula. There is still some of the shipment remaining - the demand for fancy dishes and pottery is not especially high right now.
* Jimba will go grab her share.
<Liraula> Thanks.
<Jimba> Here's your half of what I've got so far. Moving it's a little slow, but going.
<Liraula> Well, maybe the new cargo I have will be more saleable.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Liraula> My crew seized a shipment from a riverboat bound for Charadip. It was mostly goods we can easily find a home for - barrels of wine, good sturdy woven cloth - there is always a market for these types of things, and no one asks too many questions about where they came from.
<Liraula> But there was one part of the cargo that is proving somewhat more... troublesome.
<Liraula> And not in the charming way, like naughty dogs :3
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> All right, what're we talking about?
<Liraula> Weapons. Several crates of metal weapons, swords and daggers for the most part.
<Liraula> I've given out some to my crew who could use them, but even then I still have a surplus. I was hoping you might have some idea of who might be in the market for such things.
<Jimba> ...Do you care much who I sell them to?
<Jimba> Not a competitor, certainly.
<Liraula> Not even a little. I'd rather not know, to be honest. Much like you probably don't want to know what happened to the ship or its crew, right?
<Jimba> Best left to the imagination, if at all.
* Liraula nods
<Jimba> Same cut?
<Liraula> If that's agreeable to you.
<Jimba> That works for me.
<Liraula> Wonderful.
<Liraula> I've made sure word reaches the Fort about the type of goods the mystics are evidently importing these days. It's one less shipment of weapons in their enemys' hands, I'm sure is how they see it. They weren't concerned about what I did with them after, though.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I imagine they see setbacks for Charadip as more important than a little, hmm, aggressive merchanting.
<Liraula> Oh yes. I got the impression that they'd welcome a few more 'lost' shipments headed that way, if we can manage it.
<Jimba> I'm willing to move anything you can't use.
<Liraula> Can I store them in your warehouse for now?
<Jimba> (Is that feasible?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> probably should be, if it's a few crates at most. I imagine you can fit them in behind some more innocent goods.
<Jimba> We, we can manage that.
<Jimba> Yeah, we*
<Liraula> Thanks.
<Liraula> I'll have them brought over once it's dark, just to be on the safe side.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I'll wait for them, make sure they're squared away.
<Liraula> Much appreciated.
<Liraula> Oh, Bohin thought you might want to know that his family have made arrangements to get that Stone Prince hauled out of the swamp, since you were there when they found him.
<Jimba> Oh, wow, really?
<Liraula> Yes - not a cheap undertaking, hauling a big hunk of stone all that way.
<Liraula> I have no idea what they're going to do with it once they have it - stand it out front of the house like a signpost? Use it as a hat rack?
<Jimba> He'd make quite a statement as a hat rack.
<Liraula> But it matters to him, so I support my husband's wishes.
* Jimba nods and smiles.
* Liraula smiles in a way that indicates she's probably the one paying for this project ;)
<Jimba> I think it's nice.
<Liraula> Well... it's family, yeah? So he feels like it's wrong to leave the poor fellow out there alone.
<Liraula> I can't say I fully understand what difference it makes where he sits, but Bohin feels strongly about it.
<Jimba> That was my impulse, and I'm not even family.
* Jimba shrugs.
* Liraula nods
<Liraula> Well, if you want to come pay your respects once he's... installed... I'm sure Bohin would like that.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I'll be sure and do that.
<Jimba> I'm navigating some family waters myself. My parents are trying to get Kat married off.
* Junan_AFK (vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 2 seconds�)
<Liraula> oh? and once they get her settled, they'll be on your back next, I suppose?
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> Probably.
<Liraula> Hopefully it takes a while, then. But she never struck me as the type to want to settle down.
<Jimba> She's not happy about it.
<Jimba> She has someone, but it's not a match they approve of.
<Liraula> Ah, that's difficult :/
<Liraula> Not someone they might come to be convinced about?
<Jimba> Not likely. -_-
<Liraula> Too bad :/
<Liraula> Are they pushing other choices at her?
<Jimba> Yeah, they've got a couple. One of them is a sentinel, I think?
<Liraula> Hopefully not too much of a stick in the mud type.
<Jimba> He sounded passable.
<Jimba> Which, maybe that's all you can hope for.
<Jimba> Though you and Bohin seem to have a good thing going. :)
<Liraula> I think holding out for more than 'passable' is worth it, but then, we were lucky too in how things turned out.
<Liraula> That we didn't come to hate each other within six months' time ;)
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> Well, you read the wind and set your sail, eh?
<Jimba> Kat'll figure it out.
<Liraula> I did, and I didn't give him much of a choice about it - he was just caught up in my net and couldn't escape :)
<Liraula> I hope she'll manage to find a solution that makes her happy, and gets her parents content enough to move on to bothering you ;)
<Jimba> Thanks. _-_
<Jimba> -_- even
<Liraula> And if you need someone to kidnap you and forcibly marry you off to, say, a pirate, I can probably arrange that.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> If it comes to that, I'll let you know.
<Jimba> But alas, Liraula, for you are the captain of my heart, and you are taken. ;p
* Liraula laughs
<Liraula> Now, pirates have no use for the rules of common law and morality. You would just need to fight Bohin for me ;)
* Jimba bobs his head back and forth as if considering.
<Liraula> And between you and me, he's not as fast as he used to be.
<Jimba> Most women prefer that, I hear.
* Liraula grins.
<Liraula> I can't argue with that. Good luck with your sales, and your sails. and your relatives as well :)
* Liraula gives you a farewell wave as she heads off.
* Jimba smiles and waves as she leaves.

Solos

Katenzhi meets with Bachelor #1, Sarduvoz Ghorokron


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Katenzhi, your parents waste no time in setting up your meeting with the first eligible bachelor, Sarduvoz Ghorokron.
* Katenzhi will at least put on her nice Dashi, and wear it full body.
<Katenzhi> (Where are we meeting? And are my parents going to be there as well?)
<Sarduvoz> (they will not)
<Sarduvoz> (and let's say you arranged to go for a walk/maybe grab a meal together after work?)
<Katenzhi> (Ok)
* Sarduvoz will meet you after work in one of the next few days. He is tall and muscular and, as your mother noted, very handsome, with curly chestnut brown hair and broad shoulders. He wears the sash of a Sentinel lieutenant, and looks like he has put some effort into his clothing as well.
<Sarduvoz> Good day - you must be Katenzhi :)
<Katenzhi> Hello. Yes. You must be Sarduvoz.
* Katenzhi will offer a tepid smile.
<Sarduvoz> That's right. I'm pleased to meet you.
<Sarduvoz> Shall we, um, take a walk?
<Katenzhi> You as well. I think I may have seen you around the registry once.
<Katenzhi> Sure. Where to?
<Katenzhi> We could go get a drink maybe?
<Sarduvoz> Well, there's a stand a short walk along the shore that sells clams and other shellfish, and they make a very good beer as well. Would that be all right?
<Sarduvoz> Or would you prefer something a little more formal? :)
<Katenzhi> Sounds good. I'm... not much for formal, honestly.
<Katenzhi> Sounds like you know the town pretty well?
<Sarduvoz> Fairly well. I've been here about three years.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> How do you like it?
<Sarduvoz> I like it a lot, actually. I wasn't sure I would, at first - it's very different than home in Choradan. But there's so much to do here. I like knowing that I have important work to do, and it always keeps me busy.
<Sarduvoz> How about you?
<Katenzhi> I like it too. It's chaotic, but I like a bit of chaos. Keeps things interesting. And there's a lot of freedom here. Though I guess your job is to make sure that doesn't get too out of hand, huh?
* Sarduvoz chuckles at that.
<Sarduvoz> More or less - I don't know if it's entirely possible :)
<Katenzhi> What exactly does being a sentinel at the fort entail?
<Sarduvoz> Ah, well, I'm a lieutenant, so I'm sort of mid-ranking I suppose - I assist the commanders, and I supervise the more junior Sentinels. What we do often varies from day to day - right now, a lot of preparations and training in the event of an attack.
<Katenzhi> You know... I wanted to be a sentinel myself when I was a kid. It seemed like a lot of glory and adventure. I imagine the reality is probably a bit more mundane, huh?
* Sarduvoz nods.
<Sarduvoz> There isn't much adventure in planning watch schedules, inspecting weapons to make sure they're kept ready... but it's necessary work to ensure we aren't caught off guard or unprepared.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Sarduvoz> Sometimes we're dispatched to surrounding areas to manage a dangerous situation, though - there's a bit more chance for adventure in those cases.
<Katenzhi> Oh? Any fun stories?
<Sarduvoz> Oh - well, a few :) Often it's just sorting out a feud between farmers or the like, something that's escalated into threats of violence. But sometimes there's something more entertaining. Once I had to face a very belligerent and very large frog.
<Sarduvoz> I mean, the thing was the size of a horse, or bigger. Just gigantic. I didn't know they could get so large!
<Katenzhi> Hah! Reminds me of when we had to fight off those murderous tadpoles. I wonder if they're related.
<Sarduvoz> Maybe!
<Sarduvoz> I understand that in addition to working at the land office, you have a side business in fos trading? That must keep you quite busy.
<Katenzhi> It gets me out and about, yeah. My partner and I just finished installing our groundskeeper out on our plot. We're only just starting the growing part of the operation but I've been trading it up and down the coast for years now.
* Sarduvoz nods
<Katenzhi> Along with other goods of course. It's always been more of a side business.
<Sarduvoz> Well, it's good to not put all your eggs in one basket, I suppose. That way if one thing falls through, you have something else as a back-up.
<Sarduvoz> I've watched a lot of people come out here figuring they could make a fortune in fos with minimal work, and while a few of them get lucky, many of them end up surprised by the effort involved.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. Our family has a few little ventures right now. My cousin Jimba just bought a dock and warehouse for renting and storage. We've never been afraid of work.
<Katenzhi> Look...
* Sarduvoz looks over (and down) at you
<Katenzhi> You seem like a nice guy. I just want you to know that if this does end up going somewhere... I'm not some kind of shrinking violet. I hope that's not what you were expecting.
* Sarduvoz nods
<Sarduvoz> If I might be frank with you as well?
<Katenzhi> Of course.
<Sarduvoz> My work keeps me very busy, and there are always risks involved. I'm not looking for a wife who would need me to be constantly at her side. Ideally I'd like someone who can take care of herself and stand on her own two feet - not just because I wouldn't want to subject someone to loneliness if they expected something different, but in case anything ever happened to me.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Sarduvoz> I don't mean to say I would neglect you, if we did marry - I'd do my best to be there for you when you needed me. But a Sentinel's wife needs to be able to be independent.
<Sarduvoz> I just want to be honest about what such a match might involve.
<Katenzhi> That's good to know. I'm a... busy person too, and I value my freedom. To be completely honest... I'm here because my parents want me to be. I always knew I'd have to get married some day but I guess it kind of snuck up on me anyway. If I do need to marry then I want it to be with someone who respects me and who I can be friends with first.
<Sarduvoz> That seems very reasonable.
<Katenzhi> And to be completely honest, with the kind of life I lead, you might be the one needing comforting if something happens to me.
<Sarduvoz> Well, there are always risks to any venture. I can respect that.
<Katenzhi> Working at the land registry is about ninety five percent boring drudgery and five percent pants shitting terror.
* Sarduvoz chuckles at that.
<Sarduvoz> Not so different than my job, then :)
* Katenzhi laughs as well.
<Katenzhi> I guess not.
<Sarduvoz> Here's the stand I was mentioning - shal I get us something to eat and a couple of drinks?
<Katenzhi> Tell you what. First rounds on me.
<Sarduvoz> Okay :)
<Katenzhi> :)

Katenzhi talks with Llillilli and Jimba about her 'date'


* Llillilli is hanging out on/near the dock, drilling with her pfethes.
* Katenzhi will come home from her "Date", probably slightly tipsy and head up onto the boat.
<Katenzhi> Hey. Careful with those things.
<Katenzhi> ;)
<Llillilli> (did I know where you were?)
<Llillilli> That is the idea.
<Katenzhi> (Up to you? If not, it's probably odd to see Kat dressed up)
<Llillilli> You look fancy.
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
<Katenzhi> Mom and Dad set me up with a... suitor.
* Llillilli crinkles up her nose.
<Llillilli> Gross.
* Katenzhi slumps down onto a chair and removes her top.
<Katenzhi> Eh. It was actually not too bad? Which kind of makes it worse in a way.
<Llillilli> How?
<Katenzhi> If he was an asshole I could feel justified about telling him to go to hell.
<Llillilli> Oh.
<Llillilli> Still gross
<Katenzhi> It's not his fault. And he seems like a nice enough guy.
<Katenzhi> But yeah.
<Katenzhi> Mom and dad are just dead set on marrying me off like... now.
<Llillilli> Hm.
<Llillilli> Sounds... familiar
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Speaking of, any news from Thelef?
<Llillilli> (uh... I don't know :v)
<Katenzhi> (Oh, heh)
<Llillilli> not yet.
<Katenzhi> :/
<Llillilli> I will tell you the same thing I told him.
<Llillilli> You should just find someone you know that you don't hate. And make an arrangement with them.
<Katenzhi> hah, you told him that?
<Llillilli> Maybe someone else with an annoying family,
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Katenzhi> I guess that means he doesn't hate you then :)
<Llillilli> Definitely
<Katenzhi> I guess that's kinda the best I can hope for.
* YOAW_Narrator is now known as Jimba
<Llillilli> What about Junan
<Jimba> What *about* Junan?
<Llillilli> Katenzhi should marry Junan.
* Jimba says, coming from below decks.
<Katenzhi> Ummm...
* Llillilli says as if this is very logical.
<Llillilli> You marry Bivizmi. She marries Junan.
<Jimba> Have you talked to Junan about this?
<Katenzhi> I haven't even talked to ME about this.
<Llillilli> We are still in the planning stage.
<Llillilli> But what else is he doing? Singing songs in some bar.
<Llillilli> His family is probably annoying him too.
<Jimba> He's an envoy. Your mom and dad would probably like that.
<Katenzhi> You think?
<Katenzhi> I mean, I doubt he'd be too interested.
<Jimba> Why not?
<Jimba> He can keep doing what he's doing, you can keep seeing Bivizmi.
<Llillilli> He is your friend.
<Katenzhi> ...huh.
<Jimba> I don't really know much about his family, but you could talk to him about it.
<Katenzhi> I mean it couldn't hurt, I guess.
<Llillilli> They seem rich
<Llillilli> I mean. He has a lute.
<Katenzhi> I can't say I really know him all that well honestly.
<Llillilli> He likes drinking and girls.
<Katenzhi> Hey, what a coincidence.
<Llillilli> I think he might like Daifan
<Katenzhi> Oh.
<Katenzhi> I mean... I mean I guess it might could work.
<Jimba> Worth a talk, don't you think?
<Llillilli> Excellent.
<Katenzhi> Sure. I mean it could help him too, right?
<Jimba> Sounds like maybe so?
<Jimba> If Llillilli is right.
* Llillilli nods.
<Katenzhi> I'll try talking to him, then. That shouldn't be awkward at all.
<Llillilli> We could go with you.
<Llillilli> Would that be more or less awkward
<Katenzhi> Not sure, honestly.
<Jimba> You want me to talk to him?
<Jimba> All traditional like? ;)
<Katenzhi> hah
<Katenzhi> Because I'm totally traditional. But honestly you probably know him the best of all of us.
<Katenzhi> Would you be ok with that?
<Jimba> Sure. I mean, it's still awkward, but less awkward for me.
<Katenzhi> I'd owe you one.
<Katenzhi> Well... one more.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> You're sure? We'd go with you for support if you want.
<Jimba> Make it seem more like an arrangement than you just asking him to marry you out of the blue.
<Katenzhi> I guess if I'm asking him to marry me I should probably be there for it, huh?
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> How would I know?
<Llillilli> We'll all go
<Llillilli> it'll be fine.
<Katenzhi> Great. Family outing.

They make a proposition to a bemused Junan


* Katenzhi and the terrible trouble twins will call on Junan at his place the next morning, then.
* Junan is bleary eyed and his hair is disheveled when he opens the door
* Junan blinks
<Llillilli> Hello Junan
<Katenzhi> Hi!
<Jimba> Hey man.
<Junan> Am I late for work?
* Jimba says both cheerfully and awkwardly.
<Katenzhi> No, no, sorry. I uhhh... didn't mean to wake you.
<Junan> It's fine... come on in
<Llillilli> ...
<Katenzhi> Thanks.
<Llillilli> (ww)
* Llillilli looks around as they walk in
<Katenzhi> Late night?
* Junan will usher the three of you in, quickly picking up some set aside clothing to try and clean some space
<Junan> Just out late playing... I can't help it if people who like the music buy me drinks.
* Junan grimaces looking for seats for everyone with his one chair and messed up bed
<Katenzhi> Perks of the single life, amiright?
<Junan> you could say that
<Llillilli> (damn bitch u live like this?)
<Katenzhi> Which uh... is kind of why we're here... actually.
<Junan> speaking of, does anyone want anything to drink... I have a skin and some cups
<Katenzhi> Yes. Please.
* Junan will toss a spare blanket over the bed and fetch the skin and cups
<Junan> So Kat, Jim? Llillilli?
<Llillilli> DO you like Daifan?
* Korivan is now known as Daifan
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Jimba> Welp, right to it, then.
<Junan> So thats a 'no' for the drink then, I guess.
<Jimba> I'll take one now.
* Junan will fill fill four cups, giving one to Kat, Jim, and take one for himself, while leaving the fourth on the small writting table in the room.
<Katenzhi> Thanks.
<Junan> Someone can take the chair and two can use the bed, if you want.
<Katenzhi> Sorry, we're a... direct family.
* Jimba will just take a seat on the floor.
* Llillilli sits in the chair
* Junan takes a sip of the ale
* Katenzhi will sit on the bed a bit awkwardly then.
* Junan will plop on the bed as well
* Junan looks at Llillilli
<Katenzhi> So... this is gonna be kind of a strange question.
<Junan> Stranger than the last one?
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
<Katenzhi> Have you been putting much thought into marriage at all?
* Junan almost chokes on his drink?
<Jimba> This is going well.
<Junan> What's going on here?
* Junan looks at the three of you
<Llillilli> KAtenzhi's parents want her to marry someone.
<Llillilli> It's very annoying.
<Llillilli> Especially because she has a girlfriend.
<Junan> and what does Daifan have to do with that?
* Katenzhi rubs her temples.
<Llillilli> Well. You might be in a similar position.
<Jimba> Kat's looking for someone who won't care about her being with her girlfriend. If you need a similar arrangement...
<Llillilli> When I agreed to marry Thelef it was the same. So that's where I got the idea.
<Llillilli> His family were pestering him.
<Katenzhi> I am... just so sorry about this.
<Junan> I thought you liked Thelef? You seem very happy with him.
<Katenzhi> This went a lot better in my mind.
<Llillilli> Well yes.
<Llillilli> But we were just good friends before.
<Llillilli> And it would have been fine that way.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Junan> So I'm friends with Kat so we should get married to stop her parents from pestering her?
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Llillilli> Well, and to stop her marrying some idiot.
* Jimba chuckles and shakes his head.
<Jimba> I take it you don't have the same pressure?
<Llillilli> His family is further away, maybe that's why
<Junan> there are numerous reasons why my family is not pestering me, which I really dont feel like getting into
<Llillilli> Okay.
<Katenzhi> Of course.
<Junan> although I'm touched you don't think im an idiot.
<Llillilli> Well, it was just an idea
<Llillilli> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<Jimba> Well, sorry to have woken you up and wasted your time, Junan.
<Jimba> :)
<Jimba> Buy you a drink after work?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, we'll just... get going. I'm really sorry.
<Junan> It's early and I may not be thinking clearly, but can you lay out again for me why you thought this was a good idea?
<Llillilli> Because Katenzhi is already friends with you and you like the same things.
<Katenzhi> Well... Llillilli made it seem logical at the time. To be fair I was a little drunk.
<Llillilli> And you could get married and both do those things anyway, and KAtenzhi's parents would leave her alone. And yours. But I guess they don't care.
<Llillilli> I mean, that was my plan with Thelef. TO start with.
<Junan> I'm sure my parents would be estatic if I got married to a nice girl.
<Jimba> Oh, well, I mean, it's Kat we're talking about.
<Llillilli> KAtenzhi is nice.
<Jimba> ;)
<Katenzhi> Eh.
* Llillilli kicks Jimba where he's sitting on the floor
<Katenzhi> It's fair.
* Jimba laughs and swats at her foot.
<Jimba> I'm guessing the single life is working out for you?
<Junan> Its the life I'm stuck with right now.
<Katenzhi> Stuck with?
<Junan> Yeah... I'm still trying to figure out why me? Beside the friends thing.
<Katenzhi> Because you're a good guy.
<Katenzhi> And we thought maybe it would help you out too.
<Junan> I take it you would just rather be with your girlfriend, Kat.
<Junan> Help me keep my parents from doing the same to me, right?
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> It's perfectly logical.
<Katenzhi> I guess I just want to be free. I figured maybe you feel the same.
<Junan> I want you to be free as well, which I'm sure everyone else in this room does too..
* Jimba nods.
<Junan> following this line of thought... we would get married... you would join the Ghez ancestry... a very Daligashi ancestry at that.
<Junan> I mean its not unheard of, but its not the most common of things.
<Junan> Would your parents be ok with that part?
<Katenzhi> It's a good family. And You're an envoy. You have respect. I think we could convince them.
<Llillilli> Oh they'll like you.
<Jimba> I don't think it would be too hard a sell.
<Jimba> If you're willing to give it a try.
<Junan> ok leaping past that hurtle, you enjoy your life with your girlfriend, but there will be other stubbling blocks.
<Junan> eventually parents on both side...
* Junan rolls eyes
<Junan> ... will be wanting grandchildren
<Llillilli> THat's gonna be the case either way
<Llillilli> And. Well.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> You're pretty handsome.
<Jimba> There's always adoption.
<Jimba> Different ways to carry on a lineage.
<Junan> I suppose that's true
<Katenzhi> Listen... if you don't want to do it, I understand. We just thought we should give it a shot.
<Junan> So what will I be doing while you are with your girlfriend?
<Llillilli> Daifan?
<Katenzhi> Whatever you want.
<Katenzhi> Or whoever.
* Jimba laughs.
* Junan looks at Jimba and Katenzhi trying to guage thier responses to Lillilli's constant reference to Daifan.
* Katenzhi seems embarrassed but resigned.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Junan> I'm flattered, I am... I just don't know if its something I want to jump into right now.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Llillilli> Well, you know where to find us.
* Junan nods
<Katenzhi> I understand. I'm really sorry to have woken you. Thank you for the drink.
<Junan> hey any time.
<Llillilli> See you at work :)
* Junan will show the trio out

Daifan and Veznara confer about the rescued corpseborn


* Veznara is in the map room, her bubun standing by
* Daifan will slip in unnnoticed
<Daifan> Hand Veznara?
* Veznara looks up
<Veznara> Ah. Daifan.
<Veznara> I trust all is... well?
<Daifan> as well as it can be, yes
<Veznara> Good.
<Daifan> I was hoping you might have any news...
<Veznara> I have had occasion to go to the estate again, now that Her Imperial Highness has returned.
<Veznara> I could tell that some of the rumours are true - the compound was obviously destroyed by some sort of earthquake or sinkhole.
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> The Princess did tell me that - thank the Ancestors! - nobody was injured, however.
<Veznara> Other than that, she did not provide any details as to what had happened.
<Daifan> do you know what she is doing about it?
<Daifan> Is she looking for them?
<Veznara> I gather that the guards have been punished in some way. As to looking for the escapees...
<Veznara> She indicated her belief that they must still be within the Territory somewhere.
<Veznara> She asked me how *I
* would proceed, if I were her. :O
* Daifan grimaces
<Daifan> what did you say?
<Veznara> I politely protested that I didn't know about such things, but perhaps the prisoners had been tracked?
<Veznara> She said that no, they hadn't.
<Veznara> And then gave the impression that she's inclined to let the matter drop.
<Veznara> I have a hard time believing that, of course.
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> She did ask whether the Hand would be trying to find them. I said I hadn't heard anything from my sisters, but could raise it with Hand Dezmali if she'd like.
<Daifan> unless she had underestimated them.... or fears their power now that they are not in her control
* Veznara shrugs
<Veznara> I was tempted to suggest that Charadip had something to do with it, but I was too worried she'd see through that.
<Veznara> Which isn't to say she doesn't count them as a possibility...
<Daifan> yes, best to let her, or others, come to that conclusion on their own
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> So I think.
<Daifan> Mmhmmm.
<Veznara> She seemed to assume I would no longer attend her, now that the prisoners are gone.
<Veznara> I was quick to assure her that wasn't the case.
<Daifan> You weren't sent for them... but she must have known it was a pretext
<Veznara> I'm sure. The timing, anyway - coming so soon after she took the prisoners in.
<Daifan> do you think she suspects you of spying, or mrerely of looking out for the Hand's interests?
<Veznara> Both, I'm sure. Certainly she knows that it was part of my job to monitor the treatment of the prisoners.
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> I haven't given her any indication I noticed anything was wrong... yet.
* Daifan shakes heir head
<Daifan> if only we could take her at her word
<Veznara> I've been thinking. Perhaps you've considered this already... but you remember Brother Bones?
<Daifan> what of him?
<Veznara> Would he be willing to make a place for the others, do you think?
<Veznara> I know it's closer to Charadip, but he seemed well able to defend himself.
<Daifan> Maybe. I did consider it, but they are still deciding what they all want to do.
<Daifan> I think it would be....very interesting to see him and Ughiva meet
* Daifan says with a little smile
<Veznara> Hmmm. No doubt.
<Veznara> Anyway, it just occurred to me that he might be a person to turn to.
<Veznara> I only hope it wouldn't bring him into too much danger.
<Daifan> Mmmhmmm, well, I htink they would be well placed to defend each other
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Anyway, I'm not sure what the Princess is planning to do.
<Daifan> Do you think there will be any issues, if the two who are pregnant send their children out on the tide?
<Daifan> It woudl be months form now... I would hope things would be calmer, but...
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> I don't even kno if they'll carry them. It's early yet.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> I'm sure that places could be found for any children. In the usual way.
<Daifan> just... not with her or hers.
<Veznara> No, no, of course not!
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> I do believe the Princess is still trying to get a handle on what happened - I believe she was telling the truth as far as that goes.
<Daifan> Good.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> please, if you learn anything more of her plans, let me know what you can.
<Daifan> we will be circumspect about any reactions
<Veznara> Of course. I'm afraid she's hardly inclined to bring me into her confidence, but I may be able to observe things.
<Veznara> And even steer her attention elsewhere, if I dare try it. :/
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Thank you. You have done so much for us. It is deeply appreciated.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> You are most welcome.
<Veznara> I only wish it hadn't been necessary.
<Daifan> well. that is beyond any of our control.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> We do what we can.
<Daifan> Indeed...
<Daifan> I'll leave you to your maps, then
<Daifan> unless you need any assitance wth them...
<Veznara> I can manage for now. But do feel free to come and check in every now and then. :)
<Daifan> I shall.
* Daifan smiles a bit impishly and gives you a little bow before slipping back out

Junan and Daifan are cute!


* Junan will slip a disguised Daifan inside his appartment and close the door
<Junan> welcome to my simple, mostly tidy abode
* Daifan giggles, and will pull off the scarf covering their head
<Daifan> did you clean just for me ;)
<Daifan> I bet you did
<Junan> I did pick up a bit for you
<Junan> I also had to pick up for some unexpected guests this morning
<Junan> three of them in fact
<Junan> wine?
<Daifan> oh, three of them, hmmm ^_^
<Daifan> and yes please
* Junan will grab a nearby skin and a couple of cups
<Junan> there's a chair or the bed for sitting, your choice
<Junan> and no its was nothing so licentious
* Junan pauses
<Daifan> how disappointing ;)
* Daifan will lounge on your bed
<Daifan> but who was it?
<Junan> I guess is some aspects it could have been
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> it was the trio of our ship-living co-workers
<Daifan> oooh? what did they want?
<Daifan> were they giving you The Talk?
* Daifan smirks
* Junan will sit at Daifan's feet on the bed and give her a full cup
<Junan> It was a 'talk' alright, but not the talk you're thinking of
<Daifan> thank you :)
* Daifan will sip
<Daifan> what was it then?
<Junan> They wanted me to marry Kat
<Daifan> what?
* Daifan sits up a bit
<Daifan> she was with them?
<Junan> It was Lillilli's plan as far as I could tell
<Junan> oh yes
<Junan> sitting right where you are right now, although you do it so much better
<Daifan> mmmhmmmm
<Junan> They woke me up... it was a late night playing.
* Daifan settles in for this story, grinning widely with bemusement
<Daifan> of course
<Junan> I was kinda flattered that they though so highly of me
<Daifan> you are a catch, you know ;)
<Junan> but best I start the whole scheme from the beginning
<Daifan> please do!
<Junan> So Kat's parents are laying it on hard for her to get married
<Daifan> I think I had heard something about that, yes
<Junan> while she's not necessarily opposed to the idea, as far as I can tell, she is worried about how such an arrangement would impact her relationship with her girlfriend.
* Junan will reach down beside the bed to grab his lute.
<Junan> I can't help it. Drama like this MUST be told to music
* Junan picks notes to back up his words
<Junan> with the pressure from her parents pressing down, she confides in Lillilli and Jimba, of course, and a scheme is hatched.
<Junan> Junan is a friend, Lillilli, says. And his eyes have other interests...
* Junan pauses the music
<Junan> which I am not so clever at hiding as I sometimes like to imagine
* Junan winks
* Junan picks up the tune again
<Daifan> Oh... Jimba thought we would get together before I even did :x
<Junan> It worked for me, Lillilli continued, so why not you.
* Daifan smiles and listens
<Junan> a subject for after the story
<Junan> so lets go ask him right now... I'm sure he'll be pleased
<Junan> and off the three came to my place, knocking at the door, sometime around 8
<Daifan> toooo early
<Junan> Its a perfect proposal, they claimed. Its no issue, your an Envoy, and your family is great
<Daifan> Mmmhmmm
<Junan> so her parents would accept post haste
<Junan> but kids, we'll adopt? there are other ways
<Junan> so, good Junan, what do you say?
* Junan stops playing
<Daifan> did you run screaming?
<Junan> I'm fairly certain I can outrun Lillilli, but I did not feel like testing it.
* Daifan chuckles
<Daifan> I am not so certain.... and the pfefthe make her arms much longer ;)
<Junan> not testing is still a good plan
<Junan> I said I just dont know if its something I want to jump into right now
<Junan> which was a pretty calm response all things considered
<Daifan> very reasonble
<Junan> I mean I understand where they are coming from
<Daifan> it was sweet of them, I think
<Daifan> maybe not to you
<Junan> I could tell Kat may have thought the idea was a good one before they arrived, but she was pretty awkward once we started talking
<Daifan> but for Kat... and maybe me?
<Daifan> well. Did Llillilli do the talking?
<Junan> quite a bit of it.
<Daifan> Mmhmmm, yes, I can see how all this played out
<Junan> I know I should be happy that they don't care about us being together, its just not something I'm used to.
<Daifan> what isn't?
<Junan> from day one they treated you equal, something I didn't really show
<Daifan> they have heir reasons.... but they are good people, and rare
* Junan nods
<Daifan> I assure you... there are plenty more who would have me flogged through the street for corrupting you
* Daifan says, kind of joking, kind of not
<Junan> Maybe they know something I don't... should I be thinking about what they proposed?
<Junan> In some ways they think better than I do
<Daifan> that depends.
* Junan sets the lute aside and rubs Daifan's ankles protectingly
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> even if you don't think about me.... if you ahad a wife who was a friend, and let you carry on how you liked as long as ou did the same for her, would that be so bad?
<Daifan> if you had to have one
<Junan> very true. I know people forced into much different situations
<Daifan> Kat and Jimba have good enough heads for business that you wouldn't b even need to worry about it, and I'm sure they woudl bring you many good stories
<Daifan> they're traders and travellers and have connection with the Hith court, too
<Daifan> I suspect Jimba has some more INteresting friends also
<Junan> after our last adventure, I've decided I need to understand more about fos and its uses, which Kat can help me with for sure
<Daifan> mmmhmmm
<Daifan> well, I'm not sure how much she can tell you about all of that...
<Junan> I'm not talking about how to make the earth swallow a building, but just some understanding, the basics, of what you can do with it
* Daifan nods
<Junan> for the longest time I've just considered it a commodity... valuable, and in demand...
<Daifan> that, yes
<Daifan> She could help
<Daifan> but you wouldn't need to marry her
<Junan> true
* Daifan considers
<Daifan> there is an aspect that I don't think they have thought of...
<Daifan> If you married her, and we were found out...
* Junan frowns
<Daifan> Her family, I think, woudl make things very difficult
<Daifan> for you, and then your family...
<Junan> ... something like that would bring them here
* Junan closes his eyes
* Daifan sits up and takes your hands
<Junan> It would be a mess.
<Daifan> Those thre..... as I say, they are very sweet But they want all the world to think like they do, when it comes to the corpseborn, and it very much does not
<Junan> They have money and power. I know how they would play it, making it her fault to save face.
<Daifan> They would make it my fault
* Junan looks to Daifan
<Daifan> that part.... I have lived through that before
<Daifan> I don't want to do it again
<Junan> it makes the choice very obvious.
<Junan> lets keep Daligash far from Kaskind
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> if its just you.... you can manage your own scandals, right?
<Junan> lone drunken singing envoy in such a scandal... might raise some eyes, but in the end quickly forgotten.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I'm sorry I have to bring such things up... but it is something that still scares me
<Junan> You are right to raise the point
<Junan> what can I do to help take your mind from such fears?
* Daifan smiles a bit sadly
<Daifan> I don't know. I think it is beyond your control.
<Junan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 27 ].
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yeah, you did hear of some scandal involving a wealthy man's affair with a corpseborn in the recent past in Daligash, though you presumably don't know it was Daifan. but the situation in general you have heard of.)
* Junan nods
<Junan> really all I had to offer was some music and wine
<Daifan> They make me happy enough.... but that's not all you have to offer.
<Junan> I am at your service
<Daifan> You see? I am a wicked corrupter of handsome young men from good families after all ;)
<Daifan> a ruiner of reputations
<Junan> How little credit you give me... my reputation was already in shambles before we met
<Daifan> you do seem to like it that way...
* Junan flops down beside Daifan
<Daifan> BUt I'm more than just part ofb*that* story, I hope?
<Junan> its easier when little is expected of you.
* Junan smiles at her
* Daifan scoot over a little to make things a bit more comfortable
<Daifan> what is easier?
<Junan> I've stepped off the end of peer for you and glad to have done it. Your story is so much more.
<Junan> Oh don't make me talk of family and reputation and expectations
<Daifan> I don't have any expectations for you Junan...
* Junan turns his head to look at her
<Daifan> But I want to know... who you want to be?
<Junan> The truth is I'm still trying to figure that out
<Daifan> *nods*
<Junan> I know I need to before someone else decides what I will be
<Daifan> Can I help?
<Daifan> I am told I am a very good listener.... among other things ;)
<Junan> Your help is appreciated... as is your other talents.
<Daifan> well, you ply me so well with wine and song ;)
* Junan chuckles