Ashnabis session 20

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 20 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: November 3, 2019
Fair Cycle date:

Prologue


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Your return from the colony at Charadip and its majestic Academy was uneventful, and your report leaves as many questions unanswered as before.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Who really is this 'Brother Bones', and what are his goals and interests? How was it that you came to be sent in the first place? And what really do the mystics of the Academy at Zhardif want out of this situation?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can only sit and wonder, report as you are told, and despair that the job in the land registry seems so rarely to be as simple as you once thought. It's certainly not all bogwiggles, that's for sure.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The oppressive heat of Fult continues to bake the earthen streets of the town. The bubun and the hith may not be sweating, but everyone else is.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The Enskrai herders are in town in full force, bringing their horses north and west in times of low rain to ensure their herds still have enough water, and of course to trade with the Ombans here, most of whom had to leave their own steeds behind back home.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The work at the fort seems to be done for now. The bubun under the watchful Hand are turning to construction and repair of small outbuildings and homes around the fort, and thankfully are not too much in your way most of the time.

Jimba, Llillilli, and Katenzhi receive a visit from Romoga and Shiklazh, who have arrived for the wedding


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Jimba, you are peacefully asleep, with Bashi and Mogri beside you, Washteppo abovedecks. Katenzhi and Llillilli, you're asleep as well. All is peaceful and nothing could be more serene as the boat laps gently in the water.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Your sleep is interrupted by the sound of a loud banging against the hull of the boat. THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK! Four rapid blows from the port side, where the boat lies against the pier. You awake, startled.
<Katenzhi> Wuzza! Fuck!
* Jimba will bolt up to go see what that was.
<Katenzhi> Who the shit is hitting my boat?
* Katenzhi will get up also
* Katenzhi albeit a bit more slowly
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You emerge into the dim light, perhaps an hour before dawn, and see two familiar faces standing on the dock.
* Jimba will freeze for a second.
* Katenzhi will stumble up on deck. "What the fuck do you..."
* Katenzhi will also freeze.
<Jimba> Aunt, uncle. A pleasant surprise. What brings you to Kaskind?
* Romoga is a tall burly man, his black hair flecked with grey and his muscular stout body turned a bit to fat in his middle years. He is wearing a white dashi with a great russet leather belt at the waist and holding a stout cudgel or walking stick in one hand.
* Shiklazh is a round woman just past fifty, with two strands of long plaited hair reaching down almost to her waist. She is wearing a green Choradani-style riding jacket over a simple off-white dashi
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Katenzhi's mother and father are standing there smiling, waiting to receive the greetings due to family.
<Katenzhi> Mom... dad... this is... a surprise.
<Romoga> I see my daughter, I see my nephew, where's my niece the bride-to-be?
<Katenzhi> Still below decks. Ummm... give me a sec to go get her. Please... come aboard.
* Katenzhi will scurry off hurriedly to warn Llillilli.
<Romoga> PALA! Get abovedecks!
* Llillilli jolts awake. >:O
* Shiklazh comes on deck and looks around, eyeing the hippo uncertainly.
<Shiklazh> Jimba, what in the world...?
<Katenzhi>
<Urgent whisper> Llillilli! Mom and dad are here!
* Shiklazh clearly can guess who is responsible for the hippo ;)
<Jimba> This is Washteppo.
<Llillilli> I heard >:(
* Jimba will go over to scritch Washteppo behind her ears.
<Shiklazh> Ah... you do know that they grow bigger, yes? and meaner?
* Jimba laughs.
* Katenzhi gives her a "Sorry" face and then runs over to hide the seven variously full bottles of booze by her bed before heading back up.
<Jimba> I'm aware. I have some friends who have more experience with them. She'll be a great companion as she grows.
<Jimba> Would you like something to eat? Drink? It must have been a long journey.
<Shiklazh> If you say so...
* Llillilli puts a dashi around her hips and straps on her pfethes, grumbling in annoyance.
<Shiklazh> Yes, that would be lovely! I did bring some goodies - cashews and dried currants.
* Shiklazh brings out a couple bags of treats.
* Romoga stands impatiently and waits for you all to be presentable.
* Jimba will go procure what quick and easy foodstuffs they have on the ship.
* Llillilli has her hair wrapped up in a burnt orange scarf.
* Llillilli emerges onto the deck, already soured.
* Katenzhi emerges again, straightening her dashi (Which now covers her whole body).
<Katenzhi> Mom, dad! It's great to see you!
* Katenzhi will give her parents hugs.
* Shiklazh gladly returns your hug
* Jimba will come back out a moment later with refreshments for his aunt and uncle.
<Shiklazh> We arrived in town late last night and we thought we wouldn't bother you until morning.
<Romoga> Hello there, Kat-willow. You're looking well-fed and rich, that's good at least.
<Katenzhi> ummm... thanks...
<Romoga> First crack of light, time to take flight, as they say.
<Katenzhi> Well... sleep till noon, still up too soon, I always say.
* Jimba chuckles at that.
<Shiklazh> The boat is looking good. You must be keeping busy.
<Jimba> We try.
<Romoga> It's all right. I see it's been patched. Hmm ... the work is strange.
<Jimba> Some troubles with some locals. Nothing too bad.
<Shiklazh> Troubles?
<Katenzhi> It wasn't my fault. I promise.
* Shiklazh looks concerned
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> It wasn't really about us.
<Romoga> Don't angry the locals, Jimba, they've been here longer than we have and have had more time to hold grudges.
* Jimba sighs.
<Shiklazh> Now, they're mostly good sorts.
<Jimba> I'd say we do pretty good by the locals.
<Shiklazh> Like the nice Aanilaus fellow we were doing some trade with last week, who let us know about his cousin's upcoming wedding.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, they love us here. Well... they like us. Mostly. They tolerate us.
* Llillilli makes a face
<Jimba> Yes, they practically adore Llillilli. ;)
<Llillilli> Some of them
* Shiklazh smiles
<Shiklazh> Well, of course once we heard we had to come.
<Romoga> Of course. If there's to be a wedding, I'm to be at it!
<Jimba> And welcome you'll be, of course.
* Jimba smiles for Romoga, but glances at Llillilli to check.
* Llillilli is happy for Jimba to deal with them.
* Llillilli keeps up a stoic face, knowing there's not really any way she can say no now
<Jimba> How long are you in Kaskind? Just for the wedding?
<Shiklazh> We'll stay at least until after the wedding. It's a good opportunity to catch up, and get necessary supplies restocked as well. We'll try to stay out of your way, of course - we know you must be very busy.
* Katenzhi tries to smile and stay unnoticed.
<Romoga> And longer, if needed.
<Llillilli> If needed?
<Jimba> If needed? More business in town?
<Romoga> It's high time that I see how my business interests are doing here. By which I mean, the three of you.
* Shiklazh rolls her eyes slightly
<Llillilli> ... I'm not a *business interest*
<Jimba> Well, I am, and I'd say I'm paying off.
* Jimba grins.
<Shiklazh> We just hope that your marriage will bring you plenty of happiness - and the Aanilaus family are well-connected and prosperous.
<Romoga> You certainly are! I may not be your sire but I'm as close as you have, little thing! I fed you, I clothed you, and now I'm here to make sure it's going well.
<Romoga> Indeed, Aanilaus connections!
* Romoga exhales loudly.
<Romoga> Very well done.
* Llillilli grits her teeth.
* Jimba will nonchalantly go to stand by Llillilli, very slightly between her and Romoga.
<Katenzhi> So! Who wants coffee? I need coffee. I'll just go make some.
<Shiklazh> That would be lovely, dear.
<Jimba> Yes, it's lucky Llillilli and Thelef found each other. I think they'll be very happy.
<Shiklazh> Is he also a hith... friend?
* Shiklazh asks, a bit uncertain of the term.
* Jimba nods.
<Llillilli> Huwhi.
<Jimba> And well-situated at court, there. He's a good ally to have on multiple fronts.
* Shiklazh nods
<Romoga> Strange names you all have. But Rasaben, that's his name.
<Llillilli> His name is *Thelef*.
* Llillilli bristles.
<Shiklazh> That's what his cousin said. but he goes by Thelef?
* Katenzhi will go put a pot on to boil.
<Romoga> Yes, I know what you mean.
<Jimba> Thelef is his name. He was given the name Rasaben, before.
<Romoga> I need to know what name to let drop in business, you understand.
<Shiklazh> Well, we'd certainly like to meet him.
<Jimba> I'd imagine Aanilaus will do.
<Jimba> I imagine he'd like to meet you.
* Jimba smiles.
<Romoga> Yes of course, we'll meet him soon.
<Llillilli> He'll be *delighted*
* Llillilli says flatly
<Shiklazh> I understand you don't really need our approval, precisely, but of course we want to make sure we think he's good enough for you :)
<Romoga> Who is heading the ifti for this wedding, you, Jimba?
* Katenzhi will emerge again reluctantly.
<Jimba> I've been handling that responsibility, yes.
<Llillilli> Yes it's Jimba.
<Romoga> That's as should be. Even as young as you are.
<Jimba> Well, it's not like there was another option, really. :)
<Romoga> (make a Perception check, all of you)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+5
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Romoga> (Llillilli, you notice your father and mother exchange a furtive glance, only for a moment)
* Llillilli feels a stab of dread.
<Llillilli> (my aunt and uncle0
<Llillilli> There isn't.
* Romoga nods.
<Shiklazh> Well, I'm sure you're handling it perfectly respectably.
<Llillilli> Thelef's aunt thought so.
<Katenzhi> He's doing great. People are what Jimba's best at.
<Jimba> I'm managing. Let's not oversell it.
* Shiklazh smiles
<Romoga> So how did you meet this fellow?
<Llillilli> He's... well. Everyone in our community knows him.
<Llillilli> We don't really have a 'leader, but he is well respected. He helps people who are new; he came to find me when I first came here.
* Shiklazh nods, listening
<Romoga> So you've been trading with the hith? That's a good connection to foster. They're the ones who fixed the boat, then?
<Llillilli> I'm not trading with anyone, that's Jimba's business.
<Shiklazh> So he's a well-known person in your circles, and his family are well-connected too. That's good!
<Llillilli> I'm not marrying him to impress anybody.
* Llillilli says with a scowl
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Jimba> But his connections aren't anything sneeze at. A happy side benefit, let's say.
* Romoga nods.
<Romoga> Well I have to say I never thought you'd be the first of you lot to be wed. Or ... ever.
<Jimba> Kaskind's full of surprises.
* Jimba says with a little forced cheer.
* Llillilli just doesn't even know what to say about that.
<Llillilli> Well, me neither
<Shiklazh> That's certainly true. We're very happy for you, it's just unexpected. Of course we want to see all of you happy and well-established.
* Shiklazh says, eyeing her daughter in particular.
* Katenzhi smiles.
<Katenzhi> We're doing well here. Making connections. We have lots of things underway.
* Llillilli perversely wishes Daifan would show up
<Llillilli> . o O (How's that for a 'connection')
<Shiklazh> And we want to hear all about them! But let's have this coffee before it gets cold, and we can spend some time catching up before the heat of the day begins.
<Katenzhi> Right! Coffee!
* Katenzhi will run off to make it.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (okay, we'll leave that there and move on to junan?)

Junan talks with Jaigadu before he leaves


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Junan, you were busy during your group's last trip with the ending and aftermath of the nambimoshe. The tents are taken down now, and the envoys from afar have dispersed. What its long-term effect will be, it's hard to say.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You stayed for a time, both to keep an eye on things but mostly because Jaigadu seemed to need or want your help.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Now that things are back to somewhat normal, Jaigadu comes to you privately one morning at the site.
* Romoga is now known as Jaigadu
* Jaigadu is wearing a long grey tunic with leather epaulets and silver bracers at his wrists, and a green-grey dashi wrapped around his waist.
* Jaigadu approaches you, smiling.
<Jaigadu> Well, how goes, Junan?
<Junan> Looking forward to getting back to the regular routine, if you can believe it.
<Jaigadu> I can. This has been wonderful, but exhausting.
<Junan> which in this weather is snoozing and chilled wine
* Jaigadu laughs.
<Jaigadu> Our Basaian friends are far worse off than we are, with all their furs and boots. They don't know how to live in summer the way we do.
<Junan> Speaking Basaian's....
<Junan> I missed a chance to visit Charadip
<Jaigadu> Oh? That's a shame. Lovely place, the Academy.
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> you've seen much of it?
<Jaigadu> I've visited a few times. That's what ultimately got me thinking about the nambimoshe, and the need to build a kelta here in Ashnabis.
* Junan nods
<Junan> As you've said
<Jaigadu> If conflict is to be avoided, we have to be thinking ahead.
<Junan> It was funny, they had asked for the Land Registry to handle a dispute.
<Jaigadu> That is a bit odd, I wonder what inspired that.
<Junan> was about some fellow called Brother Bones. Ever heard of them?
<Jaigadu> Of course. Never met him though.
<Junan> From what I was told, nothing was resolved
<Jaigadu> I think he's worked very hard to be thought of as a monster. Which, well enough, I have no interest in disturbing that sort of person.
<Junan> sounded like something they need to work out amongst themselve
* Junan shrugs
<Jaigadu> Maybe they were just afraid of him, in Charadip I mean.
<Junan> could be... I would think they would have enough fos by now not to be too afraid of anyone
<Junan> or at least any one single person
* Jaigadu nods.
<Junan> monsterous or not
<Jaigadu> One thing I've learned though, is that the mystics have relied for centuries on isolating themselves. Especially when fos was rare. That sort of caution does things to a society, over time.
<Junan> a thinning of the social graces, if I take your meaning
* Jaigadu shrugs
<Jaigadu> I can't say for sure.
<Jaigadu> Do you think it's worth any of my time?
<Junan> only if they want to pay you for it
* Jaigadu laughs.
<Junan> I was just curous if you knew anything about Brother Bones
<Jaigadu> Only just enough.
<Jaigadu> So, Junan ...
* Junan nods
<Junan> Yes?
<Jaigadu> I will soon be leaving the site.
<Junan> thats not unexpected
<Jaigadu> I have work here in Kaskind, of course, but also at the Academy, and then beyond. I will not be gone as long this time, I hope, but still, there is work to be done. So many of us were unable to attend the nambimoshe and I must attend to them.
* Junan waits for the ask
<Jaigadu> Work will continue on the kelta in my absence; I've hired sixty bubun to do the heavy work, plus some specialists of course.
<Jaigadu> Zefa is here, or nearby at the Silver Waves at least, and of course it is in her interest to ensure that the construction is uninterrupted. The sooner we are done, the sooner her tavern can begin to profit.
<Jaigadu> If you have a moment now and again, check in on this place. I don't anticipate any trouble though.
<Junan> sure, I can keep an eye and ear out
<Jaigadu> Also, take care of young Lutsi.
<Jaigadu> The young savage told me about your plans. An island covered in mists full of hidden treasure ... that sounds like a folktale to me.
<Junan> folktale or not, what he found was magical, but I will keep an eye on him
<Junan> He would be easier to distract in Daligash with the coin coming his way, but I'll do my best
* Jaigadu laughs.
<Jaigadu> And you are still on good terms with the Senator?
<Junan> I still get the good vintages when I visit
<Junan> although I have been slow to follow up on a few favours he's asked... so...
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> good for now?
<Jaigadu> That's good ,that's good. You know, there are several prominent Ruby envoys, but you're the most prominent and best-connected Bronze I've got.
<Jaigadu> I can't be seen to be partial.
<Junan> Oh I think the Ruby has gotten such a leg up lately that you'd probably have to give me a ship to swing the pendulum the other way
<Jaigadu> What do you mean?
<Junan> oh come on... Zefa and her inn?
<Junan> You personally have made this land worth ten times or more what it was before
<Jaigadu> That may be. Zefa loves money. Gold is the simplest of human ambitions - it shines before you like a beacon, directing you in a straight path.
<Jaigadu> If I thought I had to direct you, I suppose I would need to find a way to do that also.
<Junan> as I said, I think your impartiality is well preserved right now
* Jaigadu nods.
<Jaigadu> As for you, what are your plans, other than sleep and wine?
<Junan> I do have a job I can neglect
<Junan> in person now
* Jaigadu laughs.
<Jaigadu> It's good to have you in that position. Utus has been very happy with your work.
<Junan> It gets me to pace the coloney, keeping my map up-to-date at least
* Jaigadu nods.
<Jaigadu> Very well then. Take care of yourself, Junan. And as I say, I'll be back before everything goes to shit, at the very latest.
<Junan> Safe journey yourself
<Junan> I'll do my best to keep any eye out for the shit
<Junan> you do the same

Katenzhi talks to her parents about Bivizmi


<Ashnabis_GM> Katenzhi, it was certainly quite a shock to see your parents so suddenly this morning.
<Ashnabis_GM> After you've all had a chance to settle down a bit, your folks take you aside to talk.
<Romoga> Kat-willow, little one.
<Katenzhi> Yes, sir.
<Romoga> Your cousin's wedding has had us thinking.
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> ...about what.
<Romoga> The Aanilaus are a good family, possessed of many branches up and down the coast, and a wedding is a fine time to build new alliances.
<Shiklazh> What your father is trying to say is, while we're in town we would like to start considering potential matches for you.
<Katenzhi> ...for me?
* Shiklazh says with an affectionate smile
<Romoga> There aren't so many of us, the Lovresi of Ashnabis. Really just me, and you.
<Romoga> To carry on the lineage, here in this place.
<Shiklazh> Is there anyone... special in your life, or even just that you've been considering?
<Katenzhi> Ummm...
<Katenzhi> I mean... sort of but... it's not really... I mean I don't know... it just started.
<Shiklazh> oh?
<Romoga> No worries, we can find someone at the wedding.
<Katenzhi> At the wedding?!
<Katenzhi> You can't mean right away?
<Katenzhi> I mean... I have so much going on here.
<Romoga> Well, these things take time, of course. Negotiations, alliances, bridewealth, all that.
<Shiklazh> A good spouse would help with managing the work, of course.
<Romoga> We have to start somewhere, and where better than at a major social event with all the local elites in attendance?
<Romoga> It need not be another Aanilaus.
<Katenzhi> I mean... there is someone...
<Shiklazh> Tell us about him, then :)
<Katenzhi> Uhhh.... well... do you know the Pindevuzi family? They're one of the largest refiners of fos in the area.
<Romoga> Oh-ho, indeed! You girls have been very busy, haven't you?
<Katenzhi> heh...
* Romoga smiles broadly ... which is creepy, because he smiles so rarely.
<Shiklazh> Fos is certainly a booming business right now. They probably have very good connections.
<Katenzhi> Oh... they do...
<Romoga> Choradani, too! Not that we care so much about that.
<Romoga> But a name that resonates back home as well as here.
<Shiklazh> No, but it's good to have connections back home as well.
<Shiklazh> So, what is this fellow's name?
<Katenzhi> ...Bivizmi.
<Romoga> So will he be at the wedding?
<Shiklazh> You said things are just beginning with you two - how serious are they so far? How quickly should we approach his family if we need to make arrangements?
<Katenzhi> ...well... we're going in together on a plot of fos nearby. A new breed we;'re hoping to bring to market together. Lots to do for that. So there's not really any rush at the moment!
<Shiklazh> so you are already doing business with the family? That's very promising :)
<Katenzhi> Yeah...
<Shiklazh> Well, we would certainly like to meet him while we're here, at the very least.
<Katenzhi> But like I said, it's still a very recent thing... I don't even know if... they... want to marry right now.
<Romoga> Well, let me take care of that! I am your father and your lineage head, it is my responsibility.
<Shiklazh> Now, Romoga, we don't need to rush too quickly. We should at least meet them first.
<Katenzhi> Ok... ummm... there's something I should probably tell you.
<Romoga> What's that then?
<Katenzhi> ...she's not a he.
* Romoga frowns.
<Romoga> ... Ah. Well that's a disappointment.
* Shiklazh looks concerned.
<Katenzhi> But she's amazing! She's like a genius! And she's really ambitious!
<Katenzhi> And she's the best alchemist in the city!
<Katenzhi> (Herbalist)
<Romoga> Can she transform herself into a man? If no, then what good is all that to us?
<Katenzhi> I don't care what good she is to you! She's good for me!
* Katenzhi stops dead, stunned at her own outburst.
<Shiklazh> Katenzhi.
* Shiklazh says soothingly, trying to calm the situation down.
<Katenzhi> I'm not... I'm sorry...
* Shiklazh sighs.
<Romoga> I want you to listen closely, Kat-willow. I may not have any voice in who Pala marries. But I certainly do have the right to contract a marriage for you, if I can. I am your father and your elder.
* Romoga says, barely holding back what you imagine is considerable anger.
<Shiklazh> But... maybe an arrangement with her family might be possible, I don't know... things like this, they do happen from time to time. Give us some time to think - we're just surprised, that's all.
* Shiklazh gently touches her husband's arm
<Katenzhi> She... she's a good match. If you meet her... you'll see.
<Romoga> I'm pleased you are doing well in business.
<Shiklazh> Romoga, come - let's leave it for now. There is plenty of time while we're here to talk on this further.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Romoga> Very well.
<Katenzhi> Just... I just need some time...
<Shiklazh> And I'm sure you have a lot to do today. We'll leave you to it.
* Katenzhi nods.

Veznara hears a disturbing tale from Lady Ziftu


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Veznara, you have been very busy at work, managing the complex maps and problems that sometimes emerge in the dry season, when lands and paths become available for newcomers, at least until the rains come.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You are also, of course, attending to your duties at the temple, and naturally along with those to Princess Galdai in particular.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> On this particular day you are due to visit her out at the country estate, and so you head out there in the early morning to get there in good time. You arrive and the valet escorts you into the parlor to wait.
* Veznara is wearing one of the new outfits she bought specifically for her attendence on the Princess.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> After a time, Princess Ziftu descends down the stair and into the room.
* Shiklazh is now known as Ziftu
* Veznara rises as the young lady enters, and curtseys briefly.
* Ziftu is a young, slightly heavyset woman of fourteen, but very short, so she looks younger than her age. She wears her long black hair unbraided down her back, and is wearing an ankle-length blue gown. She looks like she is in need of more sleep.
<Ziftu> Hand Veznara, it is a pleasure to see you. Sadly, my grandmother is indisposed today and has insisted that no one be allowed in to see her. She asked me to convey her regrets.
<Veznara> Lady Ziftu, how nice to see you. I am most sorry at your news, however. Is there anything I can do for your Grandmother? I trust she is being well attended to?
<Ziftu> It's nothing serious, I'm sure - she has a variety of ailments but also the very best tinctures and oils prepared by herbalists from the palace at Pivuku. She will be well, soon enough, I'm sure.
<Ziftu> Thank you for your offer, though, I'll certainly let her know you thought of her well-being.
<Veznara> Of course. I will be sure to ask the Ancestors to look out for her in my prayers.
<Ziftu> I was wondering if you might take a walk around the grounds with me. I could use the fresh air and sunlight.
<Veznara> I should be delighted, Lady Ziftu!
* Ziftu walks with you, taking delicate little steps as a well-brought-up lady should.
* Veznara accompanies her as requested, making pleasant conversation
<Veznara> And how are you, my lady?
* Ziftu will go into the garden with you, admiring the flowers and fruit that are flourishing in this season.
<Ziftu> I... am well, thank you.
* Ziftu looks around cautiously, making sure that any servants or guards are well out of earshot.
<Ziftu> I wondered - has my grandmother talked to you at all about her plans for me?
<Veznara> No, my lady. Nothing new since the last time you and I spoke.
<Veznara> Is this causing you concern?
* Veznara asks quietly and sympathetically
* Ziftu nods
<Ziftu> Before we left the Empire, my father had made an arrangement, not a betrothal, quite, as I was too young, with the Terund. I have an aunt who is a Terund, they're a good family. The boy, Pinodi, is a few years older than me but not too old. I would have been happy enough.
<Ziftu> But shortly after that, Grandmother took me here. To care for her and to keep her from being lonely, I was told.
<Ziftu> And now I've been here three years, and I'm of an age to be betrothed. I know that I don't look it, but I am. My sister was betrothed at fourteen, formally. But I'm still trapped here. To be told that my duty is to master the arts of managing a household, for a marriage that at this point, seems like it will never happen.
<Veznara> The arrangement is still in place, though? It wasn't cancelled at the time you came here?
<Ziftu> I wasn't told that it was. But Grandmother has a lot of influence - if she decided it wasn't a good match...
<Ziftu> I haven't been home for over a year, since our last trip back to the palace. And other than letters sent by envoy, I don't have any contact with my family and friends back home. So I don't really know what might have changed since then.
<Veznara> I expect she may have been consulted when it was first made, and could have voiced any objections then.
<Veznara> I am sure she is fond of your company. Perhaps she is simply reluctant to have you leave her?
<Ziftu> She has often said that she's glad I'm here.
<Ziftu> But I'm not glad I'm here! I didn't know it was going to be years and years of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no friends or parties or anything to look forward to.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> I can understand that.
<Ziftu> At this rate, it seems like the only way I would get to go home was if Grandmother died >.>
<Ziftu> And although I know it is awful to say so, Hand Veznara, sometimes I wish she would. Each time she's taken ill, I secretly hope maybe she won't recover. Is that very bad of me?
<Veznara> Have you been able to ask her about it?
<Veznara> Oh, Lady Ziftu... I think everyone has impulsive thoughts that they don't really mean, from time to time.
<Ziftu> She would just tell me not to worry about it, that I'm better off here with her than at the palace, and that she's going to make sure I'm well looked after. I thought I was special when she asked for me specifically - not one of my siblings or cousins, even though they're older or more pretty or smarter. She wanted me, so that must mean she liked me best.
* Ziftu sighs.
<Veznara> Hmmm. I was also going to ask whether there was anyone who could take your place... but it sounds like that isn't really the case.
<Ziftu> She doesn't want any of the others. She's said as much :(
<Veznara> I am sure you do not truly wish your grandmother ill - you simply wish for your freedom.
<Ziftu> I shouldn't say such things, I'm sorry, Hand Veznara. It's just been a very tiring week. Grandmother had one of the prisoners moved here into the house, to an upper room in the attic. And all she did was scream and scream, for days.
<Ziftu> "Needles! Bring me needles!" Her wailing was awful. I don't understand what was happening.
<Ziftu> I never saw her, and I don't know her name, but I could never forget that awful voice, screaming and begging. It kept me awake.
<Veznara> :O
<Ziftu> Eventually it went silent; that was the night before last. The screaming stopped, and that was worse in a way. It's so quiet here.
<Veznara> :O
<Veznara> I... I'm sorry, my lady. Your grandmother brought a prisoner into the house and... tortured her?
<Ziftu> I don't know. Grandmother wasn't in the attic, at least not that I saw.
<Veznara> I... let me be sure I understand, if you will. The prisoner was locked into the attic, then.
* Ziftu nods
<Veznara> And it was from there that you heard her constant screams and begging.
<Ziftu> Yes. It was above my rooms, so I could hear her all night.
<Ziftu> Grandmother said not to mind it, that she was just being taught a lesson, and I shouldn't worry about it. But how could I not?
<Veznara> But your grandmother didn't go into the attic herself?
<Ziftu> I didn't see her do that. She was just doing her usual things - reading in her library, or going out to the prisoners' quarters to supervise them, taking meals, giving me my daily instruction, all that.
<Veznara> But kept asking for needles?
<Ziftu> That was what she kept saying. I mean, other things too, like "Let me out!" and sobbing and things like that.
<Veznara> I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood - was it your grandmother asking for needles, or the prisoner?
<Ziftu> The woman locked up in the attic.
<Veznara> I... see.
<Veznara> Nobody else said anything about this? Endu...
<Veznara> No, I suppose they wouldn't.
<Veznara> ...
<Veznara> I can see why you are all the more eager to leave. :/
<Ziftu> I'm not sure what to do. I could try to send word to my parents, but I'm sure Grandmother reads any letters before they are sent.
<Veznara> I see.
<Veznara> ...
<Veznara> Well. I could ask my own family whether they have heard any news, if that would help you.
<Ziftu> Oh, could you? And maybe have them talk to my parents?
<Veznara> Well, I do not know that your parents would take well to having my parents so presume... but we can at least get a better idea of your situation.
<Veznara> ...
<Veznara> About the poor woman, though... this was the only time a prisoner has been brought into the house?
<Ziftu> It's the only time I've heard one, anyway. Usually they stay out in their quarters.
<Veznara> ...did she tell you her name?
<Ziftu> She didn't tell me anything. I never saw her at all, and of course Grandmother wouldn't tell me that sort of thing.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Well. This is... disturbing.
<Ziftu> :/
<Ziftu> Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...
<Veznara> No, it is right that you did.
<Veznara> I fear that such, ah, "punishment", is not pleasing to the Ancestors. Whatever the reason for it.
* Ziftu nods uncertainly
<Veznara> I will have to see what I can do about ensuring it is not repeated. If I can...
<Ziftu> Please don't tell her I told you, though.
<Veznara> I will try my best, Lady Ziftu. I have no wish to make things awkward for you.
<Ziftu> Thank you, Hand Veznara. I should get back to my lessons now, I suppose. I'll convey your sympathy to my grandmother.
<Veznara> ...
<Veznara> Thank you for the walk, Lady Ziftu. I shall let you know of anything I find out from my family.
* Ziftu bids you a polite farewell and will see you out, then.

Veznara checks on the prisoners


* Veznara takes her leave of Lady Ziftu, and goes to check in on the prisoners
<Romoga> (you head out there and are met at the compound by Endu Engevaze, the plantation manager)
* Romoga is now known as Endu
* Endu is a short, rail-thin woman of middle years. She does not look happy to see you.
<Veznara> Hello, Endu. I trust you are well?
<Veznara> I was most sorry to hear of Her Imperial Highness' indisposition.
<Endu> Good day, Hand Veznara. Yes, I'm well.
<Endu> We are all taking the best possible care of the Princess. She is very tough, despite her age.
<Veznara> I am sure you will do your best for her.
* Endu nods.
<Veznara> Since I am here, I thought I should attend to my other duties. I still hope the good captain Mukhesh will permit me to hold a service for his guards. I should also check in on the prisoners.
<Endu> Very well, if it will be brief.
<Veznara> Thank you.
* Veznara goes ahead with those tasks, then. being sure to count the prisoners to see whether any are missing. :/
<Endu> (make a Perception check)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 12 ].
<Veznara> (Oh, I think I'll use my Inspiration or whatever you call it to roll again. :/ )
<Endu> (sure)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 21 ].
<Endu> (as far as you can discern, everyone is accounted for)
<Veznara> (Anything different about any of them? And is Kida there?)
<Endu> (you don't notice anything out of order; everything is pretty quiet and they aren't really looking at you or doing much, during your visit)
<Endu> (yes, she's there)
<Veznara> (So it is the exact same number of women prisoners as last time.)
<Endu> (yes)
<Veznara> (Am I able to speak with them without being observed? Or are Endu & Mukhesh watching?)
<Endu> (no you don't have unrestricted access to them, ever. Someone - in this case Endu - will be watching)
<Veznara> (Do the prisoners appear to be unharmed? Or at least, no worse than last time?)
<Endu> (make another Perception check, I suppose)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 18 ].
<Endu> (no one seems clearly injured or harmed in any way. Inevitably with a group of 60 people some of them are going to have some minor injuries or afflications)
* Veznara conducts the appropriate ceremonies, calling on the Ancestors to Hallow these poor unfortunates as appropriate
<Veznara> (Do Endu and/or Mukhesh seem to be particularly intent on seeing whether I notice something?)
<Endu> (not as far as you can tell)
* Veznara finishes her observances
<Veznara> Thank you, Endu, captain.
<Endu> Will there be anything else?
<Veznara> (Golly. She seems eager to be rid of me. :/ )
<Veznara> I think that should do for now, as far as these unfortunates are concerned.
<Endu> Very well.
<Veznara> They have not been causing you trouble, I hope?
<Endu> No more than expected.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Good.
<Veznara> And is there anything I can do for you, Endu? I do not wish to take up too much of your time, as I am sure you have much to do. But you too are part of the household - its lynchpin, I am sure.
<Endu> No, thank you. I appreciate your concern, Hand Veznara, but we are managing very well here.
<Veznara> (Does that seem true? Is she uncomfortable, hiding anything?)
<Endu> (give me a sense motive)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Veznara> (Dammit. Used my inspiration too soon. :/ )\
* Veznara nods and smiles
<Endu> (definitely she's hiding things from you, for sure. That standoffishness is definitely not just her being annoyed at having to escort you around the plantation)
<Veznara> I am glad to hear it. However, I hope you will keep it in mind. Everyone can benefit from spiritual guidance, from time to time...
<Veznara> In any case, I should not take up more of your time.
<Veznara> Thank you for escorting me.
<Veznara> I hope Her Imperial Highness will be soon recovered. I shall include her all the more in my prayers to the Ancestors.
<Endu> You're welcome. We'll of course let you know if anything should change.
* Veznara nods, and takes her leave.

Jimba's aunt talks to him about the circumstances of his birth


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Jimba, you are doing some work on the boat when your aunt approaches you.
<Shiklazh> Can I help with anything?
* Shiklazh offers
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> Hold this rope for a moment?
* Shiklazh can do so.
* Jimba will get her help with the rigging, I guess? (Like I know boats ;p )
<Shiklazh> (heh)
<Shiklazh> Jimba, your uncle means well. You know how he is. He just wants to ensure that everything is done properly. You can imagine how embarrassing it was for him, to learn from a trading partner about his own niece's wedding.
<Shiklazh> But of course it's your lineage, not his, and he needs to remember that.
<Jimba> Our lineage.
* Romoga is now known as Endu
* Jimba says kindly.
* Shiklazh nods
<Jimba> And it wasn't my intention to keep you out of the loop.
<Jimba> It's just been a busy time.
<Shiklazh> He has been like a father to you and Pala, just as I have been as a mother, instead of your own. We've tried to do what's best for you...
<Jimba> And I'm grateful. I hope you don't think otherwise.
* Shiklazh shakes her head
<Shiklazh> I think, with this happening, my thoughts have just been with your mother - and with your father.
* Jimba looks thoughtful.
<Jimba> What about him?
<Shiklazh> I sometimes feel that I should have been more honest with you, about - well, about a lot of things. But about the day you were born, and she died.
<Jimba> ...What do you mean?
<Shiklazh> Well, we've never really talked about that, have we? I don't know how much you know about it...
<Jimba> By the time I was old enough to think about it seriously, I was old enough to realize it was a wound you probably didn't want reopened.
<Jimba> I've always thought it best to let it lie, but if there's something you think we should know...
<Shiklazh> You were always a sweet boy, Jimba. So thoughtful of others.
* Shiklazh says affectionately.
<Jimba> Yeah, it's a problem.
* Jimba says with a smile.
<Shiklazh> It's your strength, though. It reminds me of your father, too. He was always thinking of others before himself.
* Jimba doesn't know what to say to that.
<Shiklazh> Back home, in those days, it was very chaotic. There were raids, highwaymen, unmastered sentinels with swords and the will to use them. This was before we knew about the fos, just before.
* Jimba nods.
<Shiklazh> We had camped that night knowing we'd be there several days. Normally we wouldn't have high fires at night, because of the danger, but your mother was in labor and we knew we'd need the food and the warmth and the water.
<Shiklazh> They came swiftly, late at night - and we were all too distracted to see them coming. Before we knew it they were upon us. I think we were just in the way, really - they took some things but not even the most valuable goods. But it was far too much, and too fast.
<Shiklazh> Hazla was ready to run in her mind, but her body wouldn't allow it, she was too weak from the labor. They cut her down, even as your father was across the camp, trying to defend us... and my son, sweet little Diroga ... just seven, he fell also.
* Jimba frowns and listens intently.
* Jimba will go to put his arm around his aunt's shoulders.
<Shiklazh> Nothing good came of that night. By the time we got away, your mother had lost so much blood. She died before either of you were born. I was able to free you and your sister both, and that was it...
* Shiklazh looks down at her hands.
* Jimba will take her hand.
<Jimba> So two good things came out of that night. At least, I hope so...
<Shiklazh> Yes... yes, that's true.
<Jimba> I'm sorry about all of it, though.
<Shiklazh> Afterwards, it was as if your father was no longer possessed of a man's spirit. He was like a shadow of a shadow, gaunt, tired, silent, where his laugh used to ring out and his eyes would sparkle. We would have brought him with us, unto the ends of the earth, even, but he would not be brought.
<Shiklazh> At that time, he still thought - we all still thought - we were just carrying you until we reached the next town with a Hand temple, to turn you over with the tide, to a better life.
<Jimba> ...Why didn't you?
* Jimba finally asks something he's wanted to for a long time.
<Shiklazh> I was nursing you to keep you both alive until then... I think I decided in my heart that I couldn't give you up after all that.
<Shiklazh> I had just lost a son and a sister, and I thought to myself, why should I not have you? When so much had been taken from me, why should I not have this in return?
<Shiklazh> Maybe it was selfish of me, I don't know...
<Jimba> Well, I'm grateful.
<Jimba> I don't know about your sister, but you've been the mother any child would be lucky to have.
* Shiklazh looks tearful, but smiles at that.
<Shiklazh> While on the road, we met a caravan, like us weary with grief, on the road to Sazhizh. And at some point Gasku - your father - just decided ... I suppose that the path forward was too hard for him and he was going to go with them, back towards home.
<Shiklazh> I should have fought for him to stay with us. But we thought we were doing him a service. To allow him to find a new path, rather than to be faced every day with the reminders of what he had lost. At that point, we were still planning to turn you over to the Hand, in Sazhizh, if we could get there.
* Jimba shakes his head.
<Jimba> I still don't understand that.
<Jimba> I've always heard how he was so brave, but he ran from two babies.
<Shiklazh> He ran from grief and loss. I've always hoped that he was able to regain something of his former happiness.
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> I guess I can't begrudge him that.
<Jimba> I can't say I wouldn't do the same in his situation.
<Shiklazh> You can... you're allowed to think he did wrong. Sometimes I felt that way as well, and that your uncle and I did wrong in not trying harder to stop him.
<Jimba> It was hard for all of you.
<Shiklazh> All I can say is, he was not himself - he could only move on by leaving.
* Jimba looks at his ship.
<Jimba> I can sympathize.
<Shiklazh> How can you go on when the people you've put above your own needs and wants for so long are suddenly gone? When the only one to think of is yourself? I don't know that he made the right choice, but I think ... it was the only choice he could have made, for himself.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Have you ever heard from him? A letter or anything?
<Shiklazh> I have... not for some time, but I heard that he settled in Balul. It might be that we could get word to him, if that was something you wished for.
<Jimba> ...
<Jimba> I'll think about it.
<Shiklazh> If he still there, or even if he's not, perhaps someone there knows of his whereabouts.
<Jimba> Maybe talk to Llillilli, though I doubt she'll care.
* Shiklazh nods
* Jimba nods.
<Shiklazh> I know I have made mistakes over the years, but I did this because I loved you and wanted what was best for you. Your uncle may not always show it, but he wants that as well.
<Jimba> I know. I'm trying to honor that here.
<Jimba> Make something of myself, so we can take care of you two, down the line.
<Shiklazh> You've done so well for yourselves. I'm proud of you.
* Jimba smiles.
* Shiklazh gives you a hug, if you're willing.
* Jimba will happily hug back.

Llillilli warns Thelef about her aunt and uncle, and then they go out to eat together


<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli, you are pretty accustomed to feeling awkward and annoyed around other humans. That's normal. But this is a whole other level of awkward and annoyed.
<Ashnabis_GM> You haven't gotten along with your aunt and uncle even at the best of times and this ... is not that.
<Ashnabis_GM> Fortunately Jimba and Katenzhi seem to be taking at least some of the heat but you know that it's coming. They have asked for you to introduce them to your dear betrothed.
<Ashnabis_GM> (you can feel free to give him a heads up first!)
<Llillilli> (-_-)
<Llillilli> (definitely)
* Thelef can be pulled aside for a warning ;)
<Llillilli> Katenzhi's parents are here.
<Llillilli> They want to meet you.
<Llillilli> They are awful.
<Llillilli> Well. My uncle is awful.
* Llillilli amends.
<Thelef> Oh, ah, all right? Awful how?
<Llillilli> For starters they will not use my name.
<Llillilli> When they arrived today the first thing Uncle did was call Katenzhi fat and then refer to us as his 'business interests'
* Llillilli says bitterly.
* Thelef makes a 'yikes' face.
* Junan (vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 190 seconds�)
<Llillilli> They have only come because he thinks he can profit off this marriage somehow.
<Thelef> Well... I won't lie, there are probably some in my family who would find it advantageous themselves, to see that your family have business interests that might overlap with theirs.
<Thelef> So maybe we can make them talk to one another and do their business and leave us out of it ;)
<Llillilli> That would be the ideal.
* Llillilli says without a ton of hope.
<Thelef> Are they going to stay long?
<Llillilli> At least until the wedding. I don't know.
* Thelef nods
<Llillilli> He said something about staying longer "if needed" -_-
<Thelef> hm, well, hopefully it won't be needed, I suppose.
* Llillilli nods.
<Thelef> And soon you'll be busy with the pfullaes ceremony too, so that will keep you away from them for a little while.
<Llillilli> Oh yes, they will hate that,
<Llillilli> .
<Llillilli> >:)
<Thelef> Plus other wedding preparations, I'm sure. Anyway... I'm sorry that you're having to deal with them, and now I'll be prepared to deal with them too.
<Llillilli> I didn't want to let you run into them without a warning.
<Thelef> I appreciate it.
* Thelef offers a hug if you want it.
* Llillilli is happy to do so.
* Thelef will go to meet your aunt and uncle, having been sufficiently braced for the experience ;)
* Romoga has dressed up in a very fine red dashi that he must have bought specially for the occasion and is wearing the iftijasi of the Lovresi lineage
* Shiklazh has put on some copper bracelets as well
* Shiklazh 's eyes widen a bit on getting a look at your fiancé.
<Llillilli> Aunt, Uncle, this is Thelef Aanilaus...
<Romoga> Ahh, good day to you. I am Romoga of the Lovresi, and Pala is my niece.
<Llillilli> Llillilli.
<Thelef> It's a pleasure to meet you - may I call you aunt and uncle as well, or is that too presumptuous before the wedding has actually taken place?
* Thelef says with a friendly smile. He's good at dealing with people he doesn't necessarily like ;)
<Shiklazh> Oh, well, it might be rushing things a little, but we don't mind :3
* Shiklazh says warmly
<Romoga> Yes, of course.
<Thelef> I'm honored that you thought to come for the wedding. I imagine it must have been some journey to get here?
<Romoga> Ahh, we base out of Ratsla, down the coast, but we travel quite a lot.
<Thelef> You are traders, I understand? Do you focus on specific wares, or a little of everything?
<Romoga> When we heard from your cousins that our dear niece was getting married, of course we made the trip.
* Thelef nods
<Romoga> We do a lot of different things. Fos, of course, although these days that's a harder business to get into.
<Thelef> Ah, was it my cousin Opei? He married a woman from down that way.
<Romoga> It was, yes!
* Romoga smiles broadly.
<Romoga> We are honoured to be present for the joining of our families.
<Thelef> Of course, and we're pleased you can be here. I'm sure the rest of my family will be happy to meet you as well.
<Romoga> And we understand that, as is correct, Jimba will stand as ifti for the Ghughife.
* Thelef nods
<Romoga> While we raised them from infancy, they are not Lovresi.
* Llillilli feels that niggling feeling of dread again
<Thelef> Jimba has been by Llillilli's side throughout, and has carried himself commendably, of course.
* Shiklazh smiles at that
<Romoga> We would be happy, of course, to help Jimba in any discussions you or your kin may wish to have about the future of the economic sides of this union.
<Romoga> We understand that you have many contacts with the hith, for instance.
<Thelef> Yes, that's true.
* Llillilli presses her lips together.
<Thelef> What type of business interests would you have concerning the hith?
<Shiklazh> Well... it isn't always easy for human traders to deal with them, you know, even if there might be goods that would be valued on either side. Maybe with your support, we could find some specialty goods that would be of interest to them.
<Thelef> Ah, well, yes, they do appreciate some human crafts, certainly.
* Romoga nods.
<Romoga> These are matters we can work out together. We have many years to do so.
<Thelef> Metalwork, they don't really do themselves in any great amount, so they find beauty in things such as jewelry - perhaps things like those charming bracelets of yours, Aunt.
* Shiklazh blushes and smiles
* Thelef smiles back.
<Romoga> We can surely make our wares available, if the king is interested.
* Llillilli resists the impulse to roll her eyes
<Thelef> I'll certainly keep that in mind.
<Thelef> Now, would you care to join us for a meal? There's some excellent places in town now, if you haven't been here for a while they might be new to you.
<Llillilli> . o O (nuuuuuuuuu)
* Thelef glances over at you.
* Llillilli smiles gamely
<Shiklazh> That sounds lovely :)
<Shiklazh> But we wouldn't want to impose. I know how it is when you're young and in love, you just want to be together :3
<Llillilli> Well... up to you
* Llillilli says awkwardly
<Romoga> Come then! Let's go!
* Romoga says eagerly.
* Thelef will choose someplace to eat that he knows will be fast, at least, so you don't have to sit over a long, lingering meal ;)
<Thelef> I'm sure you'll love this place, they do excellent steamed fish, it comes wrapped in leaves so you can eat it without getting your hands messy :)
* Thelef is chatty enough to keep the conversation going without you having to interject too much.
<Llillilli> (thank god)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> So the meeting is not a total disaster at least ;) I think we will wrap up there, although of course there can be solos later, and we have a thing for Daifan whenever Heather is around.

Balinteze asks Daifan to join them on a mission to visit Zefa's inn


* Balinteze will stop by to see you after work at some point.
<Daifan> (at home?)
<Daifan> (or like, catch me onthe way home?)
<Balinteze> (like on the way out of work or so)
<Daifan> (okay)
* Daifan smiles to see them
<Balinteze> Hi - do you have time to talk? :)
<Daifan> I can make some :)
<Daifan> want to walk me home? Or somethingmore private?
<Balinteze> more private, I think.
<Daifan> okay.
<Balinteze> but I don't mind walking you home after ;)
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well I'll follow you for now :)
* Balinteze will take you to one of their preferred out-of-the-way alleys for a little chat, then.
<Balinteze> So, I have a job, and a proposal for you. Jobposal?
<Daifan> OH?
<Daifan> (oh?)
<Daifan> Go ahead and propose then >:D
<Balinteze> More accurately, Kikhash has a job for Kemai, and I thought you might be interested in joining me :)
* Daifan teases
<Daifan> ooooh?
<Daifan> an interesting pairing...
<Balinteze> There's a new inn, built on the land that used to be occupied by that farmer who might have murdered his neighbour. The Silver Waves, it's called.
<Daifan> Oh yes...
<Daifan> I know the place...
* Daifan frowns
<Daifan> We were the ones who investigated the claim. That's where I almost got killed by bogwiggles
<Balinteze> I remember. Well, I remember you investigated it - I was at the hearing, at least for part of it.
<Daifan> he definitely isn't the one who did the murdering, if you want my opinion :p
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> Oh right.
<Balinteze> Well, Kikhash is suspicious about it too, it seems.
<Daifan> he should be. I mean, it's probably part of his job in the Bronxze, but aso it was super sketchy >.>
<Balinteze> So he wants someone to go pay it a visit, as an inconspicuous customer. Rent a room, stay the night... snoop around. And I thought, well, you know, I could do that, but it might be useful to have a companion. And more fun.
<Balinteze> Plus, free night at an inn ^-^
<Daifan> that sounds fun :)
<Balinteze> So what do you say, do you want to be my wife for a night?
<Daifan> oh,wife is it?
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> I accept your proposal ;)
<Daifan> for a night
<Daifan> I'm not that easily tied down ^-^
<Balinteze> Well, we are proper travelers, after all. Not spending the night together with someone who isn't my wife ;)
* Daifan giggles
<Daifan> I assume you won't be going as kemai then
<Balinteze> No, we'll get disguised. There's the chance Zefa might recognize Kemai, even if he's just a servant.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> so whe shouold we do this?
<Balinteze> well, soon, preferably, but it can wait a little bit if you need some time to prepare. We could plan for tomorrow, or the day after, maybe, if that works for you?
<Daifan> sure :3
<Daifan> I can throw together a convincing persona in that time
<Daifan> clear my calendar ;)
<Balinteze> All right.
* Balinteze smiles
<Daifan> is there anythign I chould plan for?
<Balinteze> We'll probably want to get there before sunset if we can - so we still have some daylight to look around, and of course so we don't wind up with no room if the place is full.
<Balinteze> So if you can leave early from work, or take the afternoon off, that would be helpful, so we can leave in plenty of time.
<Daifan> as long as they aren't planning to send us anywhere too fr, it should be fine. It's been so hot lately though, no one has the energy to complain, so it's all been... office work>.>
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> We can come up with some names and a story, in case anyone asks us where we're from or where we're going, that kind of thing.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> where are we from?
<Daifan> Daligash? ;)
<Balinteze> hm, we could be. or Choradan, lots of people come from Choradan.
<Balinteze> If Daligash is easier for you, though, that's fine :)
<Balinteze> Maybe from somewhere outside one of the big cities, though.
<Daifan> Choradan is terrible ;)
* Balinteze chuckles
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> but also the clothes would be harder for me to get ahold of >.>
<Balinteze> That's a fair point.
<Daifan> either way, really, I suppose. Maybe I shoud leave that to you and I can just wear them ;)
<Daifan> for names though,hmmmm
<Balinteze> I can get some clothes, definitely.
<Balinteze> By which I mean, Kikhash can get us some clothes, if he wants this to be convincing :)
<Daifan> PERFECT :)
<Daifan> I coudl be Isha?
<Balinteze> All right. and I'll be Uvas.
<Daifan> lINEAGE?
<Daifan> (argh capslock stahp)
<Balinteze> I'll be from the Hezka lineage.
<Daifan> Khukrai?
<Daifan> are we merchants? Visiting family and scouting business potential?
<Balinteze> Visiting family is risky because if there are locals, they might want to know who. We could just say we're looking at moving to the area and coming to see if this might be a good area to live? That way if someone gets curious and looks for us later, and doesn't find us, they might just conclude we decided to move on.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> that makes sense
<Daifan> is that enough to work with?
<Daifan> I assume we will want to be pretty vague and simple?
<Balinteze> I think so, yes. We can keep it quite simple so we don't mix up any details.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> I shoudlb be able to get the afternoon off - where shouod I meet you?
<Balinteze> We're newlyweds, so if we happen to mix up something about one another's stories we can always say we haven't been married very long ;)
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> sounds good
<Balinteze> Well, if you can meet me at my room, I can have the clothes and things ready there. Some basic travelling gear and so on, so we look convincingly equipped.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> I'll find you there, then
<Balinteze> Okay, sounds good.
<Balinteze> did you still want me to walk you home tonight? ;) or maybe I should be going shopping instead...
<Daifan> mmmm.... that might be best. I'll have to make it up to my roommates if I'm goign to be out overnight :x
* Balinteze nods
* Daifan will give them a kiss though
* Balinteze accepts that gladly, and will head off to buy some disguise accessories.
<Daifan> I'll see you tomorrow :3
<Balinteze> See you then :)
* Daifan will go home and wonder once again what even is their life

Solos

Daifan has a drink with Dekhesh


* Daifan will go to the mudbug for a bit in the evening with Shira to give their roomies some time to themselves for.... whatever they want to do with that time. Possibly just nap ;)
* Dekhesh is having an evening drink there, and will give you a wave when you come in.
* Daifan will go sit down
<Daifan> hey
<Daifan> how's your evening going?
<Dekhesh> Pretty well - how are you?
<Daifan> mmm.... up and down, a bit
<Dekhesh> Have a drink, that helps even things out.
<Daifan> I have some fun plans for tomorrow.... but there's something I don't know what to do about
<Daifan> good plan
* Daifan will order one
<Dekhesh> What about your friend here, something for her? :)
<Daifan> she's drunk on milk :3
* Dekhesh smiles at that
<Dekhesh> you hear that? you're cut off until you sober up.
* Dekhesh tells the baby.
* Daifan chuckles
<Daifan> but... hmmm.Did you just come to drink and not think about complicated things?
<Daifan> or can I trouble you?
<Dekhesh> You can trouble me, although I can't promise I'll have any reassuring answers for you.
<Daifan> I don't expect you to, because I don't think they exist :|
<Daifan> let's grab one of the quiet booths then. Quieter >.>
* Dekhesh nods and will join you in one of the booths near the back.
<Dekhesh> what's on your mind?
<Daifan> so, we were sent up to Charadip a few days ago
<Daifan> have you ever been?
<Dekhesh> I haven't. I just know it has a bunch of mystics.
<Daifan> It does... they have a fancy academy there. It's pretty, I guess...
* Dekhesh nods, listening
<Daifan> there's a few budal but not too many - we're not allowed in the academy. They were really rude. I mean, hedal mostly are, but differently? They mostly try to completely ignore that I existed, other to make sure I wasn't going to sit at their precious table :p
* Dekhesh rolls his eyes at that
<Daifan> that was annoying, but whatever.
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> The fact that we were sent there is strange.... things aren;t great with Kaskind and Charadip, right?
<Dekhesh> what was it about? if you can say.
<Daifan> But they asked ht general to have someone come help with a.... land dispute
* Dekhesh nods
<Daifan> They were clearly hoping she would send some sentinels who wouldn't ask many questions
<Daifan> She asked Utus, and Utus sent us.
<Daifan> he told me before we went that he thought it was maybe something to do with Budal
<Dekhesh> hm, okay.
<Daifan> so we get there, and they want us to deal with this powerful mystic who lives out in the woods, because someday mayeb he would be a problem for Kaskind too, or some bullshit. basically, they can't or won't deal with him on their own
<Daifan> People are scared of him, but he's never hurt anyone, mostly it sems he wants people to stay off his lands, btu they want him to go away
<Daifan> this seems liek a non-issue to us
<Daifan> but Jimba and some of the others figure we should try and go talk to him and see what he thinks, let him know what's kind of nonsense they're playing at.
<Dekhesh> seems reasonable...
<Daifan> so we try to go find him, but keep getting turned around when we find where he is supposed to be living
<Daifan> and some of us are pretty good in the woods by now, right? So we figure that's magic
<Daifan> and.... okay, this is embarassing >.>
<Daifan> there are so many rumors about this person, and I think.... maybe he is corpseborn. They wouldn't even discuss the possibility at Charadip which to me said... yes he is, right?
<Daifan> he has all these weird - to me - power and.... whatever
<Daifan> he is supposed to be camped out in some old army camp
* Dekhesh nods
<Daifan> from the old colony times
<Daifan> so I start thikning... maybe it could be this saint that Big Mouth is on about >.>
<Daifan> Anyway
<Daifan> I tell the others maybe this person would let just me through to find him, if he is budal
<Dekhesh> It's not the craziest idea.
* Dekhesh nods
<Daifan> And well, he is not a sait. I did get to talk to him
<Daifan> he is budal
<Daifan> and a mystic
<Daifan> so.... someone taught him that
<Daifan> but the thing.... :|
<Dekhesh> weird.
* Daifan leans in close across the table
<Daifan>
he's a revenant.
* Dekhesh frowns, looking puzzled.
<Daifan> I don't know what to do with that
<Daifan> He wants to be left alone.
<Dekhesh> will they? leave him alone, I mean.
<Daifan> I think the ciommunity in Charadip.... don't either. From what I said they pushed him out
<Daifan> I thinkthey're very afraid of him.
<Daifan> so.... maybe.
<Daifan> he said they made him, though I dn't know what he meant by that exactly
* Dekhesh nods, but still seems sort of confused by the whole thing.
<Daifan> he was.... well. A crazy old powerful magical hermit living by himself
<Dekhesh> Trained him? Brought him back from the dead?
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> I don't know
<Daifan> I think I insulted him :/
<Dekhesh> hey, if he's a hermit living by himself in the middle of the swamp, he probably isn't great on social skills.
<Daifan> right
<Daifan> I haven't told anyone else
<Daifan> becuase.... I don't know if they'd believe me.
<Daifan> I'm not always sure I believe me, and I met him.
<Daifan> and if they did.... I don't know. It's....not what we are taught/
<Daifan> There's nothing for us after we die
* Dekhesh nods
<Daifan> if all of that is wrong.... I don't know :|
<Dekhesh> it sounds like ... well, to put it bluntly, maybe he's crazy. Any or all of his story could be a lie.
<Daifan> I mean.... Big Mouth's saint would mean the same thing
<Daifan> maybe
<Daifan> We didn't have a chance to talk to anyone else in Charadip
<Daifan> and he was very old, so maybe there would be no one else alive who remembers the truth
* Dekhesh nods
<Daifan> he could be crazy. I know that sometimes happens, but.... I am pretty sure he really was budal, and I'm pretty sure he really was.... whay I said. he was clearly a powerful mystic
<Daifan> he could be all of those and also crazy
<Dekhesh> Maybe Suds knows something? They're old as dirt, anyway. Or Moss, maybe - he's lived here his whole life, maybe he's heard of this guy.
<Daifan> right
* Daifan looks conflicted
<Daifan> I like Moss a lot.... I don't want to drag him into all these... stupid scenarios I keep falling into :/
<Dekhesh> That's fair.
<Daifan> is it? :/
<Daifan> It feels selfish
<Dekhesh> well... put it this way. I think it's fair to want something in your life that isn't complicated.
* Daifan sighs and nudges their glass without actually taking a drink
<Dekhesh> Whether it's fair to expect that from him, you'd have to decide. But I don't think wanting it to be simple, and keeping it separate from the ... the mess that is the rest of the world, is necessarily wrong.
<Dekhesh> maybe idealistic, but not wrong.
* Dekhesh says with an affectionate sigh.
<Dekhesh> I mean, why do you think a handsome guy like me is single? ;)
* Daifan smiles a little at that
<Daifan> boys are dumb, that's why
<Dekhesh> I can't argue with that.
<Dekhesh> Probably because I'm dumb :)
<Daifan> mmhmm.
<Daifan> Another reason to ask Suds about this other thing, maybe.
<Dekhesh> not a boy, so not dumb? ;)
<Daifan> exactly :x
<Dekhesh> I can't find a flaw in that logic.
<Dekhesh> But again... boy.
* Dekhesh finishes up the last of his drink.
<Daifan> well, I'm not doing it tonight so.... Can I get you another?
<Dekhesh> Sure, I wouldn't say no to that.
<Daifan> perfect :)
* Daifan will get us another couple of drinks and return the conversation to simpler things

Jimba and Daifan chat about boys


* Daifan seems to be in a pretty good mood in the morning, despite the heat and everything else
<Jimba> You're in a good mood this morning. :)
<Daifan> I'm taking a half day :)
<Jimba> Oh ho. Big plans?
<Daifan> mmhmmm :)
<Daifan> Getting out fo the city for a night with a friend :)
<Jimba> A friend, hmm?
<Daifan> yup ^_^
<Daifan> It is good to have friends ^_^
* Jimba chuckles.
<Jimba> May I ask which friend this might be?
<Daifan> Not someone that you know.
<Daifan> Someone I met a little bit before I started working here. :3
<Daifan> They are.... exciting, but very respectful and thoughtful :3
<Daifan> I like them a lot.
<Jimba> That's great.
<Jimba> Where are you two going?
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> My friend is making the arrangements
<Jimba> So it's a mystery? ;)
<Jimba> How intriguing.
<Daifan> it will definitely be an adventure :x
<Daifan> hopefully nothing that will get us arrested ;)
* Jimba laughs.
<Jimba> I'd hope not, unless it was something really worth it.
<Jimba> I have to say, I'm a little surprised.
<Daifan> oh?
<Daifan> you don't think I'm a catch? ^_^
<Jimba> You know it's not that. :p
<Daifan> Don't worry, I wont take *all
* the boys ^-^
<Jimba> I just...I know you've got a life outside of here, we all do. I just thought you and Junan might...
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> Oh, please, I can find boys if I want. ;)
<Jimba> Or just step off the boat and they come to me.
<Daifan> oh Junan....
<Daifan> Hes nice. Cute. But he would have to show me he's worth all the complications, and I don't think that's what he wants.
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> He's fun to flirt with.
* Jimba sighs and nods.
<Jimba> That's fair.
<Jimba> So your friends doesn't bring the same...complications?
<Daifan> not the same ones.
<Daifan> Everyone I'm seeing now is corpseborn.
<Daifan> I bring enough of my own complications
<Jimba> Everyone? Look at you making the most of your off hours.
* Daifan grins
<Daifan> All that, and a baby and.... well, I have a lot going on
* Daifan seems more thoughtful and sober for a moment, but will shake it off
<Jimba> So it would seem.
<Jimba> Everything okay?
<Daifan> oh well. You know..... there's still... all the stuff with the Corpseborn from Taizi >.>
<Daifan> but I can keep worrying about that tomorrow.
<Daifan> the fos you gave me was very helpful, though
<Jimba> I'm glad to hear that. I should prooooobably not know any more, though. ;)
<Daifan> probably ^-^
<Daifan> but I would certainly take more fos >.>
<Daifan> but not today :3
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I mean, Kat tells me there's things you can do with it...
<Daifan> I thikn I will find other risks to take ;)
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> As long as you're taking some risks.
<Daifan> oh definitely ^_^
<Jimba> Maybe I should think about taking some myself, and not just in business.
<Daifan> oooh, any conspirators in mind? ^_^
<Daifan> anyone I know? ^_^ O:)
<Jimba> Well, I wouldn't mind seeing your friend Dekhesh again, though I realize that's 'complicated'. But he was cute.
<Daifan> he is cute. And I think that is the kind of complication he would like :3
<Daifan> I'll maybe just give him a nudge then ^-^
* Daifan says, sounding extremely satisfied
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I mean, don't tell him I said that, of course.
<Jimba> Gotta keep a little bit on my side of the table.
<Daifan> mmhmmm ^-^
<Jimba> Though, I mean, I was hoping to do business with him, and I don't want to jeopardize that...
<Daifan> Well, I will say.... there is a very nice little place that has a kind of honey theme that seems pretty openminded...
<Daifan> well. I think you could work that out.
<Daifan> take some risks. Even if they are just short term ones :3
* Jimba chuckles and nods.

Dekhesh asks Jimba out, and they go for dinner together


* Dekhesh will come by the ship, then, some evening after you're back from work.
<Dekhesh> Hey captain :) Are you busy?
* Jimba smiles when he sees Dekhesh.
<Jimba> Not presently.
* Dekhesh is wearing a nice blue and green dashi.
<Jimba> What brings you around, other than my sterling company?
<Dekhesh> I was wondering if you'd like to... get dinner?
<Jimba> Oh!
<Jimba> That...would be great.
<Dekhesh> We could talk business. Or...not business. Whichever.
<Jimba> If you can give me just a second to wash up and dress.
<Dekhesh> Sure :)
* Jimba will go hurriedly and nervously give himself a quick scrub and put on one of his nicest dashis.
<Jimba> I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long.
* Jimba will say once he's back out.
<Dekhesh> Oh... I can be patient :)
<Dekhesh> Sometimes.
* Dekhesh adds with a smile
* Jimba smiles, and maybe blushes, though it's hard to tell.
<Dekhesh> Where would you like to go?
<Dekhesh> I mean... Choice is limited.
<Jimba> Hmm. What are you in the mood for?
<Jimba> I could go for some [thing? I don't know what all we eat/what's available].
<Jimba> (Maybe something kind of light, just in case?)
<Dekhesh> Well, Daifan mentioned this honey place. Where apparently they won't kick you out for having a corpse born dinner companion.
<Dekhesh> So that's a plus.
<Jimba> That sounds like a good spot then. :)
<Dekhesh> Great :)
* Jimba will walk with him.
<Jimba> So, how've you been? Business been good?
* Dekhesh will accompany you there. It's a nice place, fairly quiet compared to the more noisy bars and taverns at the port.
<Dekhesh> It's been kind of hectic... Keeping busy, though.
<Dekhesh> How about you?
<Jimba> About the same, I'd wager. Took a trip out to Zhardif, which was...interesting.
<Dekhesh> Oh?
<Jimba> You ever hear of Brother Bones?
<Dekhesh> Only from Daifan.
<Jimba> Oh, so I wouldn't be telling you anything new.
<Jimba> Not sure what the whole redirection effect was, but it was interesting in kind of scary sort of way.
<Dekhesh> ah... But it's fun to hear you talk :)
<Jimba> Flatterer.
<Dekhesh> Did you actually meet him?
* Jimba grins despite himself.
<Jimba> I didn't, no. I don't think he wanted company at all, but he's corpseborn, so he deigned to speak with Daifan.
* Dekhesh nods
<Jimba> Honestly, I felt kind of bad for him. He didn't sound exactly pleasant, but it's got to be lonely out there in the swamp.
<Jimba> Maybe moreso if you get to the point where you feel like you don't need or want anyone else around.
<Dekhesh> That would be awful. Well, maybe he likes it that way. But it's hard to imagine.
<Dekhesh> I need company to thrive ;)
<Jimba> Yeah, same. :)
<Jimba> I don't know what I'm going to do when my sister moves.
<Jimba> It'll be weird not having her around again.
<Dekhesh> Your... Cousin, is it? She'd still be around.
<Jimba> Yeah.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> My parents are actually in town, too, but that's something of a mixed bag.
<Jimba> Well, aunt and uncle, but they raised us.
<Dekhesh> How do you mean?
<Jimba> My auntie is great, and I love them both, but my uncle is...a lot.
<Dekhesh> A lot...of uncle? :)
<Jimba> Heh, I mean, he is that, too. He's not a small man.
* Jimba laughs.
* Dekhesh chuckles
<Jimba> But they came in for my sister's wedding, and he's trying to tell Llillilli, well, basically how to get married.
<Jimba> And, I mean, she was managing fine on her own. :)
<Dekhesh> Oh... I bet that's not going to go well
<Jimba> I wouldn't think so. It hasn't blown up too bad yet, so I'll count my blessings.
* Dekhesh nods
<Dekhesh> Hopefully you can stay out of the range of the explosion.
<Jimba> Well, you're helping me with that for the moment.
<Dekhesh> I'm very helpful that way
<Jimba> Don't think I'm not grateful.
<Jimba> (He lives in Banei, right?)
* Dekhesh smiles
<Dekhesh> (yes)
<Jimba> And you? Anything interesting happening over in Banei?
<Dekhesh> Ahh.. Yeah, some things. I don't know how much Daifan has told you.
<Jimba> I know a little of things. I'd like to help, but I know secrecy is important.
* Dekhesh nods
<Dekhesh> Well, hopefully before too long it'll be safe to talk about more. For now, I know you've been helping even without knowing the whole story.
<Dekhesh> I appreciate that.
<Dekhesh> Daifan has been really working hard on this.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I imagine it can't be easy being in her position.
<Jimba> Working with the fort, and trying to watch out for your people.
<Dekhesh> And it might mean the difference between freedom and torture for a lot of people.
* Jimba shudders.
<Jimba> I'd like to say I can't believe that's going on, but...I guess it would be a lie.
<Dekhesh> Lots of things can happen out here. For good and evil.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Well, do my best to push it towards the former.
<Dekhesh> Freedom from rules... From supervision... People setting their own paths.
<Jimba> It has it's benefits, certainly.
<Dekhesh> It's why I came here.
<Jimba> Opportunities we might not otherwise have seen or pursued.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Dekhesh> Exactly
* Dekhesh looks around nervously, but reaches over and puts his hand over yours
<Dekhesh> Wow... They really aren't kicking me out. I guess Daifan was right about this place.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> We'll have to keep this place in mind.
<Jimba> You know, uh, if we do this again.
* Jimba says hurriedly, not to seem to presumptuous.
<Dekhesh> Mmm... Would you like to?
<Dekhesh> Because I'm enjoying this...
* Dekhesh runs his thumb over the back of your hand
<Jimba> Me too. I'd definitely like to do this more.
<Dekhesh> It doesn't bother you that I'm...
* Jimba smiles and will turn his hand to take Dekhesh's.
<Jimba> Not at all.
<Jimba> I...
<Jimba> I have a question, and I'm not sure quite how to ask it.
<Dekhesh> Oh yeah?
<Jimba> Please forgive me if this comes out wrong, but you don't have a problem being with someone who's not, uh, not corpseborn?
<Dekhesh> Oh. It's a fair question - I know some who would find it difficult.
<Dekhesh> But I feel like... Hm. How can I put this?
<Dekhesh> If you don't have a problem with me, with who I am, then I don't have a problem with you. I couldn't be with someone who was ashamed of me, or wanted to hide me.
* Jimba looks thoughtful.
<Jimba> I don't want to hide you, but, if I'm honest, I am a little worried about repercussions.
<Jimba> I think I could handle things, but it might push me further in a direction than I had been planning to go.
<Dekhesh> I want a world where my people aren't treated like lesser beings. I know that's not the world we have right now. I don't mean it's going to be easy.
<Jimba> I'd like the same.
<Dekhesh> So... If you want to just, ah, have some fun and say farewell after that, I'd understand.
<Jimba> No, that's not what I want. I've done that, and...I don't think it's really for me.
<Dekhesh> I can't ask you to sign up for the trouble that will follow, unless you want that.
<Jimba> You're lovely, and I like spending time with you. But I might need some time to consider whether it goes further. If you don't want to deal with that, I completely understand.
<Dekhesh> Like I said... I can be patient.
* Dekhesh smiles
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> That's quite nice of you.
<Jimba> I hope I can make it worth your while.
<Dekhesh> I hope so too.

Katenzhi warns Bivizmi about her parents


* Katenzhi will stop by Bivizmi's house to see her as soon as she has the chance.
<Katenzhi> (AKA As soon as she can get away from her parents)
* @Bivizmi is working on some strange materials but will set them aside when you come in and go over to greet you.
<Bivizmi> oh, hi Katenzhi :) I would give you a hug but I should probably wash my hands first.
<Katenzhi> Hey, Bivizmi. You look like you're doing a bit better.
<Bivizmi> I'm doing okay. It's still... weird. But I think the best way to get over it is just to go on with my life like before.
* @Bivizmi says with a shrug, wiping her hands off on her apron.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Bivizmi> What about you, how are you doing?
<Katenzhi> Good. I'm glad to see you back at what you do best.
<Katenzhi> I'm... well that's complicated right now.
<Bivizmi> oh?
<Katenzhi> So my parents are in town...
<Bivizmi> oooh.. is that good or bad?
<Katenzhi> It's... complicated.
<Katenzhi> They want me to get married.
<Bivizmi> uh... just in general, or to someone specific?
<Katenzhi> More in general. But my father is really pushing for a good match.
* Katenzhi slumps into a chair.
<Katenzhi> Whatever that means.
<Bivizmi> that sounds awful.
<Bivizmi> I .. I guess you can't just tell him no? :/
<Katenzhi> I could. But... I don't know what that would mean. It might mean being cut out of the family business.
<Bivizmi> :/
<Bivizmi> You're the only child, right? I mean... I know your cousins were raised with you. But... that puts a lot of pressure on you, I'm sure :/
<Katenzhi> Yeah. I kind of always knew this might happen but... I always thought it would be later.
<Katenzhi> I told them about us.
<Bivizmi> oh :o
<Bivizmi> how did they react to that?
<Katenzhi> I'm sorry. I... I probably shouldn't have.
<Katenzhi> They were thrilled... until they found out you don't have a dick.
* @Bivizmi sighs
<Katenzhi> I don't know what to do, Biv... I know what we have is... new... but I really like you. A lot.
<Bivizmi> I like you too.
<Katenzhi> Would you... maybe be willing to meet them? Maybe if they met you...
<Bivizmi> I... I can try. I mean, how bad can it be?
* @Bivizmi asks with a nervous smile
<Katenzhi> Ummm...
<Katenzhi> I mean... I guess if things go really bad I can just like... Call lightning on all of us. Take the graceful way out.
* @Bivizmi laughs
<Bivizmi> I guess that's an option.
<Bivizmi> Or poison? it's more subtle anyway :)
<Katenzhi> Too slow. Maybe just a big whirlpool.
<Bivizmi> Jimba might object if you destroy the boat though.
<Katenzhi> True.
<Katenzhi> I'm sorry. I know you're dealing with your own shit right now and you sure didn't sign up for mine.
<Bivizmi> it's okay. we can deal with each others' shit.
<Bivizmi> ...did you want me to come meet them now? or ... maybe tomorrow or something?
<Katenzhi> Maybe tomorrow night. Let's give them a day to calm down a bit.
* @Bivizmi nods
<Bivizmi> well.. do you have a little time before you have to go back?
* Katenzhi smiles.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, I have some time.
* @Bivizmi smiles back
<Katenzhi> The more time away from the boat right now the better.
<Katenzhi> Should we go get you cleaned up?
<Bivizmi> Yeah, let me go wash my hands and I can distract you for a little while :)