Ashnabis session 16

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 16 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: August 11, 2019
Fair Cycle date:

Prologue


<AshnabisNarrator> The heat of the month of Dezhiri is quickly bringing what passes for a dry season here in the Sestapor. 'Dry', of course, being a quite relative term.
<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba, the boat is undergoing a more permanent set of repairs, paid for out of the colony's expenses, for which you're thankful, but it does mean it's in drydock for a bit and out of commission.
<AshnabisNarrator> As a result, your team has mostly been doing local work for the past several days, checking up on previously plotted lands, confirming the continued use of lands assigned in years past, and mapping out the ever-complex changes to the rivers and lakes of the Territory. It isn't glamorous work but it's also not too hard.
<AshnabisNarrator> Today your team is out near the outpost village of Baziri, at the north end of the Colony Road where it meets the south shore of Lake Tsidul. The lake and the surrounding swamps are only sparsely settled, but Baziri itself is well-plotted and serves as a mercantile outpost for trade from the north, along the river route to Choradan.
<AshnabisNarrator> To the east of Baziri, especially, fos farmers have been staking claims over the past several years, pushing the borders of the colony ever eastwards into the swamp. Your task today is to confirm and re-examine the claims map from a few years ago to see what's going on out here now.
<AshnabisNarrator> (you guys can talk while you're doing this work at this point, if you like)
* Veznara will of course take copies of the relevant maps, and prepare to update and/or redraft them as needed
<Junan> This is why we used the boat, so we wouldnt have to walk in this heat
* Jimba will make a point to chat up the locals, see how things are going, be friendly in general.
<Jimba> At least it's a dry heat. ;)
* Daifan just sighs
<Katenzhi> If humans were meant to walk we would have been given more legs.
<Junan> I don't think you understand what the word 'dry' means
<Daifan> its not dry, just... more reasonably humid.
<AshnabisGM> A question for Jimba - do you have the dogs with you? or did you leave them behind given the walking?
<AshnabisNarrator> Around here most of the inhabitants are Ombesh immigrants - this area is now a little tamer than previously but prior to the fos boom, the whole area here was mostly just swamp. Folks are friendly enough, happy to see the presence of the land registry as long as you don't nose around too much.
<Jimba> (I think I would bring them? I mean, they're working dogs. Jimba hunts with them a lot. I think they can manage fine.)
<AshnabisGM> okay, that's fine :)
<Veznara> There do seem to be many more claims than there were the last time this place was surveyed.
<Jimba> More immigrants all the time.
<Veznara> (What used to be here - was it just open swampland, no locals?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (yes, that's about right. Surely there were hunters / foragers who used the terrain sometimes but it wasn't considered really suitable for habitation. Baziri, the nearest village, is a new community, almost all Ombesh migrants)
<AshnabisGM> Yeah, the maps don't indicate any previous Aummesh settlements or anything like that. You can make a Survival or K:Nature roll to know more.
<AshnabisNarrator> (you're at the eastern edge of the colony, east of Baziri, #4 on this map: http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Kaskind_Territory:_Map_and_Communities )
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+3
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 18 ].
<Veznara> (That was Survival)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 10 ].
<Jimba> (Grr. Also Survival)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Katenzhi> (Also survival)
<Junan> (I would roll, but I dont care)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+10
<Veznara> (Man, nobody took K:Nature? :P )
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Daifan> (survival)
<Katenzhi> (I probably should have now that I think of it :P )
<AshnabisGM> (I think Jimba has 1 point ;)
<AshnabisGM> (we've had this conversation before - at the start no one had it. I think Josh has bought one rank now.)
<Jimba> ( have K:Nature, but my Survival is higher)
<Jimba> (2 ranks now)
<AshnabisGM> (cool :)
<AshnabisGM> You can tell that the land around here is relatively swampy and muddy, even in the dry season, so it is unlikely that there was much in the way of settlement here prior to the fos boom, when such lands became more desirable. There is plenty of wildlife in the area, though.
<AshnabisGM> The dogs are constantly being distracted by a bird call or small animal scrabbling in the undergrowth.
<Daifan> (are we likley to encounter anythign more dangerous out here, then?)
<AshnabisGM> If you got above a 20, you can also know that the streams around here regularly change their courses, making it unpredictable territory to build in.
<Katenzhi> Keep your eyes out. Who knows how many things out here are looking to eat us. Some of them might be nice enough to kill us first.
* Veznara shudders

The group encounter a family asking for help


<AshnabisNarrator> A few hours into your day you are starting to get pretty tired of the heat of the day when you hear a commotion off to the east.
<Veznara> What's that?
<AshnabisNarrator> A female voice calls out in Ombesh, "Help us!"
<Katenzhi> Shit!
* Katenzhi starts running.
* Junan will get his bow out
* Veznara follows
<Junan> It could be a trick
<AshnabisGM> So you head in the direction of the voice, but cautiously (at least some of you)?
<Daifan> (I'll be cautions ;p)
* Jimba is not cautious.
<AshnabisGM> You make your way to a clearing in the swamp and find a group of people there - a family, by the looks of things, a mother, father, and three children.
<Junan> (yep cautious)
* Veznara will be behind Junan and Katenzhi, but ready to back them up...
* NPC2 is now known as Peku
* Peku is a frazzled woman around forty years old, with straight dark brown hair tied back in a messy braid, wearing a dark blue smock over a grey linen tunic.
* NPC1 is now known as Kifto
* Kifto is a thin, anxious-looking man of about the same age as his wife. He has a light brown beard and a receding hairline. He wears a yellow-green jacket and sturdy brown trousers.
<Peku> oh thank goodness! We heard people passing by but we weren't sure if you would stop to help us.
<Veznara> What's wrong?
<Katenzhi> Are you ok?
<Peku> We're not hurt, but we're in some difficulty.
<Daifan> Are you lost?
<Kifto> No, we live here.
<Peku> Our home has been invaded!
<Jimba> Invaded?
<Katenzhi> Invaded? By what?
<Peku> The hith!
<Kifto> By hith.
<Jimba> I'm sorry?
<Peku> Last night, just as we were getting ready for bed, we heard some commotion outside. I went out to look - you never know what kind of dangerous wildlife is around here, and we have some geese, so I thought it might be something that was after them.
<Peku> It was dark, but I saw them - a group of hith! They were sneaking into our shed, a whole bunch of them. I could hear them hissing and muttering to each other...
<Peku> Then I heard the screaming back at the house. Some more of them had crawled in a window to the room where my children sleep!
<Peku> Thank goodness we all made it out safely! Who knows what those lizard things would have done to us if they'd caught us...
* Peku gives a little shudder
* Jimba raises an eyebrow.
<Peku> We escaped with just what we could grab, and hid out here the rest of the night. Of course no one got any sleep...
<Katenzhi> ...what did these hith look like?
<Daifan> mmhmmm...
<Junan> (are hith actually known to be in the area?)
<Kifto> You know, lizard people.
<Peku> Yes, like lizard people, walking around on their hind legs. They were sort of short and they had tails.
<AshnabisNarrator> (you don't know if there are hith in the area but it wouldn't be impossible)
<Peku> When the sun came up, I went back and tried to see what was happening, but I could tell they were still there - I could hear their weird hissing and screeching at one another.
<Daifan> Hith don't...screech
<Daifan> Have you met any before?
<Katenzhi> Not normally. And they don't ussually invade people's homes either.
<Peku> No... we've only been here a few months.
<Peku> Can you help us? I don't know what to do - we can't drive away so many of them on our own.
<Katenzhi> (Would we know of any other creatures that description might fit?)
<Jimba> We can go take a look, but it doesn't *sound
* like Hith...
<Katenzhi> Either way we should check it out.
<Jimba> You're safe here for now?
<Junan> (how far away is the closest neighbour, or someplace where these people could shelter?)
<Peku> Well, I think we're all right for now, as long as it's daytime. I don't want to spend another night out in the swamp, though!
<AshnabisNarrator> (you're not super familiar with this area Junan, but there are definitely other plots nearby, presumably with houses. You've seen some others today)
<Veznara> Do you know how many there were?
<Jimba> (What time of day is it right now?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (around midday, early afternoon)
<Kifto> Many - maybe fifteen or twenty? Maybe more?
<Peku> A lot, anyway.
<AshnabisGM> (Kat, I didn't get your question, sorry - it would be a k:nature roll to guess other things that might match that description)
<Junan> Back that way and left for 45 minutes or so is a plot with a house on it, we passed it on the way. If you don't want to wait here, you can ask for shelter there until we get back
<Jimba> How far is your homestead?
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Jimba> (I can't roll today)
<Jimba> (That was K:Nature)
<AshnabisGM> (it totally sounds like hith, then)
<AshnabisNarrator> (definitely hith)
<Peku> It's not too far - maybe half an hour that way.
* Peku points off to the west from where you are, further into the swampy area.
<Katenzhi> We'll check it out and come back to get you in a while.
* Peku nods nervously
<Katenzhi> It'll be ok.
* Jimba tries to give them an encouraging smile and heads off in that direction.
<Peku> We'll wait here, at least for a while. If it starts to get late in the day, though, we will head to the neighbour's house.
<Junan> you and your family are already safe. be thankful for that.
<Veznara> If you do go there, please remember - this doesn't seem like the Hith. It may be something else.
<Peku> yes... thank goodness. And thank you for being so helpful.
<AshnabisGM> Okay, you can head off in the direction she indicated, then. There is a rough path you can follow.
* Daifan will follow along towards the house
* Katenzhi will as well.
* Veznara will go quietly as she can, keeping an eye out for tracks or other signs of the creatures' presence
* Jimba will likewise keep an eye out for any tracks.
<AshnabisGM> You can make Survival checks to look for tracks/other signs of these creatures.
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+3
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 9 ].
<Veznara> (Too muddy!)
<Jimba> (Can I get the dogs to assist?)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 24 ].
<AshnabisGM> Veznara, it's too muddy and all that you can make out are the signs of presumably this family passing through in a hurry the night before.
<Veznara> (And my friends forging ahead!)
<AshnabisGM> Jimba, you can try to get the dogs to help with tracking, sure.
<Jimba> (Okay, so two assist rolls for them)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+5
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+5
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 6 ].
<Jimba> (One of them is distracted today :p)
<Jimba> (Then Jimba's with the +2 assist)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Jimba> (*sigh* Well, I equaled Kat at least)
<Katenzhi> ( :V )
<AshnabisGM> Kat and Jimba, you can see a few hints of other tracks, more off to the sides of the path and going through the swamp itself - although you aren't really sure what they are, they look like things moving low to the ground, with tails dragging in the mud. The dogs are quite interested in these tracks (or at least one of them is ;).
<Jimba> (I don't suppose I can roll K:Nature again after seeing the tracks, can I?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (nope)
<Jimba> (Cool cools)

They go towards the farm and consider their course of action


<AshnabisGM> Anything you wanted to discuss before you get to the house?
<AshnabisGM> (or plan/conspire/scheme)
<Katenzhi> (Can we see into any windows or anything?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (you're not there yet)
<Daifan> does anyone have any idea what these could be, or how dangerous they are?
<Katenzhi> (Oh, sorry,misread that)
<Jimba> Well, I mean, if it's Hith, I'll just try to reason with them, see what they want.
<Daifan> It cant be hith...
* Jimba shrugs.
<Junan> that may work if they're not hith as well, assuming they have some sort of language
<Veznara> I hope there are fewer than the twenty those people mentioned, whatever they are...
<Jimba> If it's not, we'll just try to scare them off.
<Junan> I'm guessing less
<Jimba> I mean, if it's wild animals or something.
<Katenzhi> If it is I might be able to scare them off with some illusions.
<Veznara> Odd that they would invade a human house like that, though.
<Daifan> they might be after food
<Daifan> or fos, I suppose?
<Katenzhi> Or maybe they were hiding from something bigger...
<Katenzhi> :/
<Jimba> They said they went into the shed first, but that might have just been the first structure they came across.
<Jimba> Yeah, I'd be concerned if they were running from something.
* Veznara shudders
<Daifan> they said somethign about geese?
* Jimba nods.
<Katenzhi> Well... if we hear geese then we'll know they weren't after food.
<Veznara> Well, let's just be careful.
<Daifan> I suppose it depends on whethe these things were also hiding, or were chasing them...
* Daifan nods to Veznara, though
<Katenzhi> Yeah
<Jimba> We can try to get close quietly and take a look.
* Veznara nods
<Katenzhi> I'm... not great at quiet.
<Daifan> JImba and I can try it?
* Katenzhi nods.
<AshnabisGM> Okay - so you want a couple of you to try and sneak closer and look at the situation?
<Junan> Dont be afraid to call for help if things go bad
<Jimba> (Sounds like)
<Jimba> Can do. The signal will be my girlish screams.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> yes, defiitely Jimba's
* Veznara snorts quietly
<Daifan> come on
<AshnabisGM> Okay. You can stop what you figure is probably 5 min or less away from the farm, and then Jimba and Daifan can try to sneak closer. Stealth rolls please for those who are sneaking :)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 9 ].
<Daifan> (oh wow, nice)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Jimba> (The hell?)
<Jimba> (That's like the fourth 1 we've rolled, I think?)
<Daifan> ;p
<AshnabisGM> impressive...

On reaching the farm, they see a group of lelesh have taken it over


<AshnabisGM> Well, you make your way what you think is quietly towards the farm. As you approach you can see that there are two buildings in a cleared patch of land.
<AshnabisGM> (as seen on roll20. the one labelled "sheep shelter" is not actually for sheep in this case, but is the barn)
* Jimba will gesture towards the barn first.
<AshnabisGM> The farmhouse is a good-sized, decent and respectable home, with a chimney at either end and sturdy red clay tiles for a roof. A short distance away across the yard is another, more simple building, a shed or small barn.
* Daifan nods
<AshnabisGM> As you draw closer, you hear a sort of high pitched hissing whistling sound. A small figure, moving upright on two legs, but probably only about three or three and a half feet tall, with mottled grey and brown skin and a long lizard-like tail, scurries hastily around the corner of the barn.
* Daifan swears
<Jimba> [quietly, but not as quietly as he thinks] Shit, do you think it saw us?
<AshnabisGM> As you watch, you see some more of them - small lizard-like creatures crawling up the walls, clambering into windows, darting across the open yard between the buildings and around the back of the barn. They are very clearly aware of your presence and moving to hide.
<Daifan>
yes.... lets get back to the others - quickly
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> All right.
<Jimba> (Do we have any idea what those things are?)
<AshnabisGM> Having now seen them, you can make another k:nature check.
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+3
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 8 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Jimba> (score!)
<AshnabisGM> You have heard of these creatures, Jimba - some Aummesh call them muckdwellers. They are thought to be related to hith, perhaps as monkeys are similar to humans - either intelligent animals or dull people. They are swamp dwellers, best-known for spitting liquids into the eyes of opponents, and for their generally mischievous nature.
<AshnabisGM> (I think Steve is getting more info since you rolled a 20 ;)
<AshnabisNarrator> The hith call these creatures 'lelesh' and to be at least intelligent enough to have some rudimentary language. They are amphibious, like hith, but are more reptilian than actual amphibians.
* Jimba will relay this information to Daifan as we walk back to the others.
<AshnabisGM> okay, you can rejoin the gropu
<AshnabisGM> (group)
<Jimba> Well, we can confirm it's not hith.
<Daifan> (how many did we see?)
<Jimba> (How many d...heh)
<Daifan> we saw them, and they saw us
<Katenzhi> Well, I don't feel so bad about my lack of sneakiness now.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Veznara> What are they, then?
<Jimba> It's a group of lelesh.
<AshnabisNarrator> You saw several of them but they were going in and out, it is impossible to know how many in total there were.
<AshnabisGM> You estimate you saw at least about 10, probably there are more inside the buildings.
<Veznara> What are lelesh?
<Daifan> There are a lot of them - at least ten and maybe more
<Jimba> Kind of like hith, but smaller, less intelligent, and more reptilian.
<Jimba> Humans around here call them muckdwellers.
<Katenzhi> So like... hith monkeys?
<Jimba> Kind of, but more intelligent.
<Junan> so we chase them off?
<Katenzhi> Will they just come back if we do?
<Jimba> They have a language, but I don't know of anyone that speaks it.
<Daifan> . o O (some monkeys are pretty smart...)
<Jimba> Possibly, but we're not exactly security or soldiers.
<Veznara> I thought Katenzhi's idea of scaring them off with some sort of illusion was a good one...
<Veznara> But if they do have a language, can we communicate with them? Find out why they're here?
<Junan> we can try I guess
* Jimba turns to Kat.
<Katenzhi> I could try a language spell.
<Jimba> You have fos on you, I assume?
* Katenzhi shrugs.
<Jimba> Yeah, I was just thinking that.
<AshnabisGM> Jimba, with a 20 I think you could also say that this behaviour, although not totally out of character, is a bit odd for them unless they had some purpose or something - there would have had to be something that attracted them there, for instance. It is unlikely they'd take over a human household just for fun.
<Katenzhi> ...Does a hippo shit in the swamp?
<Jimba> Though, let's be careful. They wouldn't ordinarily invade a human home unless something attracted them there, or they were driven to it somehow.
<Daifan> that iht be beter, if they can communicate - otherwise they might come back, or go bother someone else
<Katenzhi> Yeah
* Jimba nods.
<Katenzhi> I'd rather get to the source of the issue
<Daifan> How does youe spell work?
<Katenzhi> Well, anyone I touch can basically speak any language for a while. Probably a few minutes with five of us.
<Katenzhi> It's a pretty powerful spell but I think I can handle it.
<AshnabisGM> (let's hang on until Josh and Terry are back)
<Junan> If its a language, I can probably figure out the basics without magic
<Junan> and if these things are primative, basics should be enough
<Veznara> But you're the best person to represent us, no?
<Jimba> Yeah, you're a professional mediator.
* Jimba smiles.
<Daifan> that means he can get by without the magic, though
<Junan> we can try without and use magic as a back-up
<Veznara> We probably want better than just getting by, though.
<Katenzhi> Well, I could just cast it on you people. I'm not much for talking anyway and I assume I'll know when it's time to start slinging magic.
<Daifan> let's see how it goes.
<Jimba> Fair enough.
<Katenzhi> Well if we want to talk we should probably have the spell up when we get there, no?
<Daifan> ...let's see how it goes, whether we will need it or not
* Daifan repeats
<Katenzhi> Oh, like whether they just start eating our faces?
<Daifan> that too.
<Katenzhi> Sure, that works.
<Daifan> how long does your spell take to cast?
<Katenzhi> a few seconds (Standard action)
<Daifan> then we shoudl be fine, if we need it
* Katenzhi nods.
<Veznara> Will they realize if you start casting a spell in front of them?
<Katenzhi> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<Katenzhi> No idea.
<Daifan> Junan can warn them if we need to
<Veznara> I just wouldn't want them to misinterpret it as a hostile action.
<Jimba> I don't think they would.
<Jimba> And, like Daifan said, Junan can warn them.
<Veznara> Alright then... I guess we have a plan.
<AshnabisGM> Okay, so making your way back towards the farm, then?
<Junan> (yep)
<Jimba> (yeah)
<AshnabisGM> Okay. You can place yourselves how you want on the map, if you want anyone particular to be in front/back.

They attempt to communicate with the lelesh


<AshnabisGM> When you approach, there are a couple of these small lizard creatures perched on top of the roof of the house and the barn, seemingly keeping a lookout. They give shrill whistles as they spot you and then duck down to hide.
<AshnabisGM> A few others scatter as the alarm is sounded. They move quickly but clumsily, as if land is not their preferred habitat, and you notice some of them stumble or bump into one another as they retreat.
<AshnabisGM> One gets spun around and winds up running in the opposite direction for a few seconds until it bonks into a wall, reels back stunned, and vomits a copious amount of purple liquid all over the ground. It manages to get turned back in the right direction and stagger away once it's finished.
* Junan chuckles to himself
<Daifan> :3
<Daifan> they're like toddlers
<Katenzhi> In that they puke everywhere and seem drunk? Yeah.
<Daifan> exactlyb like that.
<Veznara> How do we get them to talk to us?
<AshnabisGM> Well, they have all scattered into hiding as you approach, so what would you like to do?
* Daifan will wave at one of them
* Junan will try calling out in Hith hello
<Veznara> Do we have any food to offer them?
* Daifan will take out a bit of leftover something or other from lunch
<Daifan> here...
* Kifto is now known as Lelesh1
* Lelesh1 cackles loudly and spits liquid out in your direction.
<Daifan> (some mango, perhaps)
<Katenzhi> Whoa!
<AshnabisGM> It can't hit you from this distance, but the spit is still unpleasant and kind of stinky.
<Daifan> (like general direction or specific aim?)
<Lelesh1> (just in general)
<AshnabisGM> Just in your general direction, they can't reach you.
* Daifan will toss the mango back at it
<Katenzhi> Let me know when you want the spell.
* Daifan looks to Junan
<Junan> let me try and get them talking
* Junan will try "want to talk" in Hith to see if he can get them chatting (unless I can figure a better way?)
* Lelesh1 laughs, stumbling a bit as it does so.
<Lelesh1> [h] Goway! Talk no!
<Daifan>
are they drunk?
* Junan shrugs
<Junan> "Why here?"
* Lelesh1 is now known as Lelesh2
* Lelesh2 comes out from around the corner and spits muddy water at you, still far from being able to hit you but getting its message across.
<AshnabisGM> The lelesh seem to communicate with one another using a language of croaks and hisses. They do not wear any clothing or even the usual belts and ornaments of the hith, but a few carry simple sticks or pointy rocks.
* Junan listens to the croaks and hisses trying to get some context of what they're saying to eachother
<AshnabisGM> Mostly they are telling you to go away, some are more on the angry/scared side, a few are laughing at you and calling you something like 'pig walkers' and seem amused by you.
* Junan will try using thier language
* Peku is now known as Lelesh3
<Lelesh3> [h] Danger, goway!
<Junan> "You no belong here... best if you go now"
<Daifan> what are they saying?
<AshnabisGM> A few of them seem to know a few words in hithaeli, but they do respond to your instructions in their own language by... let's say colourful refusals.
<Junan> they want us to leave, some seem scared, others not so much.
* Lelesh2 laughs and laughs and takes a deep draught of muddy water.
<Veznara> Why did they come here?
<Junan> they're refusing to leave
<Daifan> ask what they're scared of, maybe?
<Junan> "why you here? Not your home"
* Daifan steps back a bit
<Jimba> I really don't want this to end in violence if we can avoid it.
<Veznara> We shouldn't advance, but let's not show fear either.
* Veznara says quietly
* Katenzhi nods.
<AshnabisGM> Junan, you aren't quite sure, but you think one of them says the hith word for temple. It's hard to make out among all the various calls and chattering, but you think you heard that.
<Junan> I think they said temple, or a hith word similar.
* Lelesh2 is now known as Lelesh1
* Veznara frowns
<Daifan> what temple?
<Lelesh1> [h] Pig walker goway!
* Lelesh1 throws a rock, or what you hope is a rock, in your direction, skitting to a stop near your feet.
<AshnabisGM> (If you want to advance, you can move yourselves closer on the map)
<Junan> well, I can try to force them to talk but it may get violent
<Jimba> I know they're not exactly cooperating, but should we try the spell?
<Jimba> See if we can communicate a little more clearly?
<Daifan> We could try that but we shuld still let Junan do the talking.
<Junan> Im willing to give it a try
* Jimba nods.
<Daifan> Katenzhi?
<Katenzhi> I'll give it a shot.
* Katenzhi will attmept to cast communal tongues.
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, make your roll)
* Katenzhi will target everyone but me.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 20 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, that should do it, right, should be 8 doses of fos, 18 DC?)
<Katenzhi> (Yeah, I believe so)
<Katenzhi> You have about ten minutes.
<Junan> "Give us reason why you're here. If we go without one, more of us will come back and they may not want to talk"
<AshnabisNarrator> Junan, your well-constructed sentence comes out as something like "Why you here? We leave come back with more pig walker kill you!"
<Lelesh1> Healing temple for lelesh! Danger, goway!
<Junan> Not temple. Pig Walker home. Where temple?
<Lelesh1> Temple here! Us temple!
<Junan> If you temple, go temple someplace else.
<Lelesh3> Bad danger! Death! Temple safe!
<Junan> What danger? What Death?
<Lelesh1> Red inside death!
* Junan looks back to the group
<Lelesh3> Red sick death!
* Katenzhi smiles bewilderedly.
<Daifan> (can I make a heal check on that?)
<Junan> could they be sick, not drunk?
<Junan> some sort of disease?
<AshnabisNarrator> (on the words 'red sick death'? Uhhh ... not really?)
<Lelesh3> Temple water good!
* Lelesh3 says with a laugh
<AshnabisNarrator> (there are lots of illnesses that make human skin red, or that cause bleeding ... but these are not human)
<Daifan> (that plus 'red inside death)
<Daifan> (well, fair)
<Lelesh1> Temple water make strong!
<Daifan> are thwy sure that's water? >.>
<Daifan> ask them if there was.... bad water?
<Junan> Show good water! where bad water?
<Lelesh3> fruit water good
<Lelesh1> No bad water! Good water!
<Daifan> ...wine?
<Lelesh3> fruit water temple!
* Junan will get out his wine skin and poor a little on ground
<Junan> Good water?
* Lelesh3 waves its pointy stick in the direction of the barn
<Daifan> ask them if we can go see?
<Junan> We go see fruit water temple
<Daifan> I'm betting its some kind of moonshine >.>
<Lelesh1> Danger! Red inside death!
<Junan> <w> I think temples are just buildings cause its the only building they know
<Lelesh3> Lelesh temple! danger pig walker!
<Junan> We strong, no fear danger
<Veznara> <w> Is it warning us, or threatening us?
<Junan> (can I tell which?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (seems to be warning)
<Junan> warning
* Junan will head towads the barn
* Daifan will go with him
* Daifan keeps an eye out for the lelesh though
<Katenzhi>
<w> Uhhh... what's going on?
<AshnabisGM> okay, you can head in that direction. The spell wears off about that point but the lelesh keep hissing and chirping at you as you go.
<Junan>
<w> theyre scared of something in the barn
* Katenzhi nods.
* Junan will take a swig from his wineskin and get his bow out
<Junan> Jimba, the door?
* Katenzhi will ready her fos.
* Daifan will fortune their peeps
* Veznara gets ready to Hallow everyone...
* Jimba will get the door.

Despite warnings about the red death, they enter the barn


<AshnabisGM> The barn is a solidly-built construction, bigger than a mere shed. You enter and find the interior a shambles. It smells just awful in here - a pungent smell of berries which would otherwise be pleasant is mixed with vomit and possibly worse.
<AshnabisGM> Large wooden jugs and clay vessels are strewn over the floor, and a large cask sitting in one corner of the room has had its lid ripped off. The dirt floor is more of a mud floor, soggy with spilled water and other liquids.
<AshnabisGM> In the middle of the room is the bloody remains of what you think used to be a lelesh.
<AshnabisGM> At the other side of the barn is a pen for geese, which are apparently furious at the intruders and hiss and flap their wings aggressively whenever any come near them.
<AshnabisGM> The lelesh have managed to drag the water trough for the animals a short distance away from their enclosure and one is lying submerged in it, while others come to it occasionally for a drink.
<AshnabisGM> Others, however, are definitely drinking the family's store of alcohol. There are about 4-5 lelesh in here that you can see.
<Jimba> Did they get killed by the geese? o.O
<AshnabisGM> Someone could try to make a Heal check on the remains to figure out what killed it.
<Daifan> (sure)
<Katenzhi> What the...
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 20 ].
<AshnabisGM> You definitely don't think it was killed by injuries (like from a goose or a fall or anything like that). It looks like it was bleeding out of all its orifices before it died.
<Daifan> some kind of disease....
<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, one of the lelesh spits a mixture of muddy water and whatever this liquor is at you.
* Daifan tries to dodge?
<AshnabisGM> You can make a Reflex save to try and avoid
<AshnabisNarrator> Reflex save
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+6
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 23 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, other than your leg getting splashed on a bit you're fine, apparently.
<AshnabisGM> You can easily avoid it, yeah.
<Daifan> :/
<Jimba> Okay, maybe we back away from the diseased lelesh for a moment?
* Daifan can do so
<Katenzhi> Yeah, lets not be here.
* Katenzhi will also back away
* Veznara does as well
<Daifan> well, okay
<Junan> so what do you want to do? Some of these things may be sick but they did force this family out of thier home and are taking thier stuff
<AshnabisGM> They'll chatter and throw some filth in your direction but they don't pursue you if you retreat back outside.
* Daifan tries to see if any of the rest of them look sick?
<AshnabisGM> Make another Heal check, Daifan.
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 15 ].
<Veznara> If they're infected with some sort of illness, the family shouldn't come back anyway!
<Daifan> well
<Veznara> Not until we can be sure it won't be transfered to them as well.
<AshnabisNarrator> Some of them seem drunk, but other than that, you can't say.
<Daifan> It might not affect humans
<Katenzhi> Fuck I hope it doesn't...
<Jimba> Kat, can you put them to sleep?
<Katenzhi> Maybe? Probably not all of them.
<Daifan> I can't tell if any of the rest of them are ill
<AshnabisGM> You can't be sure, since you don't know what this illness might look like prior to the point where they die, but you don't think of the ones you saw any of them seemed sick. Drunk, yes, but not like they were bleeding from their eyes and nose and butt or anything.
<Daifan> Can you ask, Junan?
<Daifan> maybe the alcohol s helping, or they think it is?
<Daifan> that;s my best guess...
<Daifan> it seems to be what they're after
<Veznara> Either that, or maybe it simply leaves them feeling no pain...
<Junan> "Good water stop red sick death?
<Veznara> (Can I make a History check to see whether I recall any similar disease striking humans? It sounds gory, so I'm sure it would have been noteworthy...)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure you can try?)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+15
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+15 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 15 ] totals [ 16 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> Oh yeah, Veznara, definitely this is the Khelemite Plague all over again.
<Veznara> ?
<AshnabisNarrator> The town of Khelem was stricken by a plague some centuries ago that caused the entire population to go mad and bleed out all their orifices. That must be what this is. Highly contagious too, as you recall.
<Veznara> ...we need to leave.
<Veznara> Daifan, how badly were you exposed to this?
<Junan> what why?
<AshnabisNarrator> One of the lelesh that was sort of lying in the corner, apparently passed out, begins to twitch.
<Daifan> oh hmmm...
* Daifan steps away from it
<AshnabisNarrator> As you watch in horror blood begins to pour out of it uncontrollably.
<AshnabisNarrator> And after the blood, the slime.
<Katenzhi> Ok... I think we are definitely at the point of "Not my fucking job".
<AshnabisNarrator> A ball of blood-red goo seeps out of the creature's mouth, nose, and ears, as if under its own power.
<AshnabisGM> (and let's go over to roll20 and roll initiative)
<AshnabisNarrator> It advances toward you.
<Daifan> :o
<Katenzhi> o.O

After the fight, they speak with the lelesh again, who thank them and leave

[The party fight the blood pudding and eventually discover that alcohol seems to harm it. They are able to defeat it.]
<Jimba> Everybody all right?
* Katenzhi nods and takes a swig of liquor.
* Jimba pokes at the dead pudding just to be sure.
* Daifan nods
<Jimba> (With his machete)
<Junan> I dont think im getting those arrows back
* Veznara is about to take more fos, but puts her pouch down as the ooze collapses
<Veznara> Oh, thank the Ancestors!
<Katenzhi> I am so glad I didn't quit drinking...
* Veznara practically sags with relief.
* Jimba gives Kat a look and smiles.
<AshnabisGM> The lelesh peer out curiously to see what happened, and when they see that the pudding is dead, they give shrill cries of what is probably happiness, you guess.
<Veznara> That... *that* was the cause? What the lelesh were talking about?
<Jimba> All right, mental note about the alcohol thing.
<Daifan> what was that?
<Jimba> Well, 'red inside death.'
<Jimba> Makes sense.
<Katenzhi> That was... really messed up.
<Jimba> It's a blood pudding. They're not super common, but you get them around here from time to time.
* Katenzhi stares at Jimba.
<Daifan> Gross :x
<Veznara> I was afraid it was a disease... it sounded terribly similar to a plague that struck the town of Khelem long ago...
<Jimba> Yeah, they try to get inside you and eat your insides.
* Veznara pauses and says a silent prayer
<Junan> we should burn the bodies, just in case
* Lelesh3 approaches you cautiously. It has a large cat sized toad beside it which is maybe.. a pet? livestock?
* Jimba nods at Junan.
<Jimba> Oh, hey there.
* Lelesh3 speaks very haltingly in hithaeli.
<Lelesh3> [h] you heal good. heal red death.
<Jimba> [h] Happy to help. Others sick?
<Lelesh3> [h] all drink fruit water, get better.
* Jimba nods.
<Lelesh3> [h] thorn toad good healing too. give you.
* Jimba perks up at that.
<Jimba> [h] This thorn toad?
<Junan> [h] you leave now?
* Lelesh3 pulls a handful of the toad's spines out, which doesn't seem to bother it too much.
<Jimba> (Have I heard of a thorn toad before?)
<AshnabisGM> I'd say yes, they are not too uncommon in the swamp, although probably you have a different name for them. You don't know about their spines having any healing value though.
* Lelesh3 shows you the sap-like liquid on the spines.
<Lelesh3> [h] put on wound, good healing.
* Jimba nods appreciatively.
<Jimba> [h] Thanks.
* Lelesh3 shoves the toad in your direction and gives another little wave with its webbed hand before it runs off, taking the others with it.
<Jimba> [h] Leave temple now?
<Jimba> Guess so.
* Jimba takes the toad happily.
* Lelesh3 is now known as Toad
* Toad seems fine with that
<Katenzhi> That thing is not sleeping near my hammock.
<Jimba> Aww, he can sleep wherever he wants, can't you little guy?
<Toad> blerp.
<Jimba> Who's a good toad?
<Jimba> See. He's quite the conversationalist.
<Jimba> Or she. I'm not quite sure.
<Junan> until it pokes you with a spine
<Veznara> (So the lelesh are all gone from the homestead?)
<Jimba> They're defensive. Just be careful.
* Jimba grins.
<Junan> (so gather bodies for burning and make sure the Lelesh didnt leave any more surprises)
<Daifan> hopefully the dogs won't try to eat it...
<Daifan> (yeah)
<AshnabisGM> You can have a look around, but yes, you think they have all cleared out now. The house is, not surprisingly, a mess.
<AshnabisGM> Chairs overturned, animal bones and other refuse thrown everywhere (probably the remains of the family's dinner), possibly a cushion was torn apart because there are tufts of down all over the place, particularly sticking to the various unpleasant puddles of dubious substances.
<Veznara> (It does look like the dead lelesh died from the blood pudding digging its way out of their insides?)
<AshnabisGM> Yes.
<Jimba> Well, they're gone, that's the important thing.
<Veznara> (Phew!)
<Daifan> Mmhmmm
<Veznara> As long as they don't return...
* Veznara breathes another sigh of relief
<AshnabisGM> You want to go and retrieve the family, then?
<Junan> (yes)
* Toad is now known as Peku
<Veznara> (Yes, and let's make clear that it was NOT Hith.)

They deliver the news to the family


* Peku and her family are very relieved to see you.
* Lelesh1 is now known as Kifto
<Peku> Are you all right? what happened? :o
<Katenzhi> We're ok. And so is your home. Mostly.
<Kifto> Mostly?
<Jimba> It was some lelesh being troubled by a blood pudding.
<Peku> What's that?
<Jimba> They, ah, made a bit of a mess.
<Katenzhi> Well... they did make kind of a mess. And some of your plants got a little... fried.
<Junan> the place is a mess, but nothing that cant be cleaned up
* Peku nods
<Jimba> Lelesh are small lizard people.
<Jimba> They live in the swamp around here.
<Peku> so not hith?
<Jimba> No, not hith.
* Peku nods, looking relieved
<Peku> Thank you so much for your help.
<Peku> We don't have much to offer in thanks, but would you like some of our elderberry wine?
<Daifan> mm.... you may need to call that a write off >.>
<Daifan> they got into it.
<Peku> oh :/
<Peku> well... next time you're by this way, maybe we'll have made some more and we can offer you a bottle or two in thanks.
<Jimba> They needed it to get rid of the blood pudding. They don't like alcohol, apparently.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> That'd be quite nice of you.
<Kifto> Well ... we're mighty grateful for your help. You don't think they'll be back?
<Jimba> This was a special circumstance. I don't *think
* they're going to bother you again.
<Junan> Keep the wine locked up and even if they do come back they wont stick around
* Peku nods
<Jimba> But they are around, so just keep that in mind.
<Peku> We'll be aware of that, then. Thank you again for your help.
<AshnabisGM> You can head back off on your rounds, then - or maybe take it easy and walk gradually back to Kaskind...

Solos

Llillilli visits Thelef's ancestors


* Thelef will bring you to speak with Kiklatsa for wedding preparation things.
<AshnabisNarrator> Llillilli, you feel a little bad that you are not joining your team on their trip up to the northeast part of the colony. But only a little. This evening you are meeting with Thelef and his aunt Kiklatsa at the Aanilaus lineage house, for the first of what is supposedly many rituals and practices before you can be wed.
<AshnabisNarrator> It certainly would not do to be covered in swamp muck for such a thing - not that there's anything wrong with swamp muck.
<AshnabisNarrator> (and spit and ooze and wine ...)
<Thelef> Don't worry - I'll help walk you through things if there's anything you don't know.
* Thelef reassures you
<Llillilli> Thanks...
<Llillilli> Because there definitely will be
<AshnabisNarrator> You've never had much experience with weddings, either Ombesh or Aummesh, but the Aanilaus seem very serious about this kind of thing. And Thelef seems to be taking it almost as seriously as his many various relatives.
<Thelef> Tonight is a ritual to formally introduce you, I guess, to my ancestors.
<Llillilli> Oh.
<Llillilli> Are they going to be there?
<Thelef> We'll go to the Temple of the Voice.
* Llillilli crinkles up her nose.
<Llillilli> RIght.
* Kiklatsa meets the two of you at the lineage house first.
<Thelef> Good evening, auntie.
* Kiklatsa is dressed in a formal white dashi with a silver collar.
<Kiklatsa> Rasaben, it is good to see you. And Lilili, it is a pleasure to see you once again. You are welcome in the house of my clan.
<Llillilli> ...
<Llillilli> . o O (ARE YOU EVEN TRYING)
<Llillilli> (sm actually... is she even trying)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+5
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 7 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (heh, you have no idea)
<AshnabisGM> (she's worked her way up to 3 syllables at least? last time it was Lili and Lilei and stuff ;)
<Thelef> Well. Should we go on to the temple? I'm sure we are all eager to proceed.
<Kiklatsa> Are you familiar with what we are doing, dear?
<Llillilli> Talking to your ancestors.
* Kiklatsa nods.
<Kiklatsa> Yes, two specifically. Rasaben's late lamented father Daradag, and our eldest known ancestor here in Timiil, Iliben.
* Llillilli glances at Thelef.
* Thelef nods
<Kiklatsa> This is, of course, largely a formality. We do not expect them to deny their consent.
<Thelef> The ancestors are revered, but ... distant from the concerns of the living.
<Llillilli> Right.
<Kiklatsa> I don't know as much about Ombesh customs, but it is customary for the bride to ask a question of each ancestor of her husband's clan.
<Llillilli> Well, me neither.
<Thelef> You can choose what you want to ask.
<Kiklatsa> Something simple, like ... what colour of dress to wear, or in what season to wed, or, well, you are very clever, I have no doubt you will think of something.
* Thelef nods
<Kiklatsa> It is often the case that one is overcome with the sublime presence of the ancestors, and in the moment, the right question emerges.
<Llillilli> ... Sure.
<Kiklatsa> My nephew Elukir is the high priest of the Voice in Timiil, so he will be the one actually asking the questions and conveying the responses, of course.
<Llillilli> Sounds great...
<Kiklatsa> Well. Then let's be on our way.
* Thelef will accompany you to the temple, which is not a very long walk from the lineage house.
* AshnabisGM is now known as Elukir
<AshnabisNarrator> The temple of the Voice in Timiil is an ancient stone building, probably of around the same age as the Voice temple you investigated in the swamp, though of course much better maintained. It's a simple structure but even you can feel something as you approach.
* Elukir is a black-robed priest of perhaps about 30 years of age. He bears a certain resemblance to Thelef, although not as handsome.
* Llillilli eyes it warily.
* Elukir has dreadlocks that reach to his shoulders and a serious expression.
* Kiklatsa smiles warmly as she greets her nephew.
<Kiklatsa> Voice Elukir, it is a pleasure to see you again under such auspicious circumstances.
<Elukir> Good evening, aunt, cousin. And welcome to you, Llillilli of the Ghughife.
* Elukir makes more of an effort at pronouncing your name, at least.
<Llillilli> Nice to meet you.
* Llillilli tries to hide her surprise.
<Kiklatsa> We come to bring this petitioner to be joined to Rasaben, to seek the blessing of our still and silent kin.
* Elukir nods
<Elukir> Tonight, I will bring forth two great elders of the Aanilaus lineage, that they may give their wisdom to those who seek guidance on a new path in their lives.
* Elukir gestures for you to follow him into the interior of the temple. It is dimly lit inside, with a few candles casting long shadows over the vaulted chamber.
* Llillilli steps inside.
<Llillilli> (is Thelef coming too?)
* Thelef will go inside with you, but hangs back a bit, allowing you to go forward before him.
* Kiklatsa enters also
* Llillilli looks back over her shoulder...
* Elukir leads the way to a stone altar at the center of the building. Sitting on it are two caskets, one old and made of worn stone, another newer, ornate and decorated with carvings and inlaid with pearls and ebony.
* Elukir carefully slides the lid off the new, elaborately decorated box. You can glimpse some remains within, bones and hair and the tattered remains of what was probably once an expensive dashi wrapped around the body.
<Llillilli> (does it smell)
<Elukir> (not really, maybe a bit dusty but not like rotten or anything. they use various measures to preserve the body so it isn't super gross.)
<Elukir> Before you is Daradag of the Aanilaus, the father of Rasaben, and a great ancestor.
<Elukir> I will now seek his wise counsel, on your behalf. Let me know of what matter you wish to inquire of him, and I will convey his words to you.
<Llillilli> uhhh...
<Llillilli> (I'm guessin I'm not overcome or inspired)
<Elukir> (not really? you could ask something like Kiklatsa suggested, about wedding planning, or you could ask him something about his life and death, or ... really whatever you want, although his knowledge is limited)
<Llillilli> What was Thelef... uh, Rasaben, like as a kid? >.>
<Llillilli> Is that too hard?
* Llillilli asks the priest.
<Elukir> That is fine.
* Elukir assures you with a slight smile.
* Thelef sort of smiles too.
* Elukir will perform an short incantation invoking the great wisdom of the ancestors and asking that Daradag speak to him to bestow his blessing upon us.
* Elukir concentrates as though listening intently to something only he can hear.
<Elukir> He says that Rasaben was a wilful, stubborn child, always believing he knew more than his elders, but that he was also bright and kind and caring. He is proud of him, he says.
* Thelef gives a sort of "can't really argue with that" shrug and smile.
* Llillilli smiles a little.
<Elukir> Elder Daradag, your son seeks to marry. Do you give your blessing to this union, with Llillilli of the Ghughife?
* Elukir pauses again for a moment, listening to something beyond your hearing.
<Elukir> He says that he bestows his blessing upon this union, and wishes for many grandchildren.
* Llillilli chuckles awkwardly.
* Thelef sort of clears his throat and nods in a 'sure dad' sort of way.
<Elukir> Elder Daradag, thank you for honouring us with your insight.
* Elukir will return the cover to the box respectfully.
* Elukir then turns to the much older box and opens it carefully.
<Elukir> Now comes before us Iliben of the Aanilaus, most ancient of our ancestors in this place, and most revered.
<Elukir> I will call upon him to speak with us, his far distant descendants, to bestow his wisdom of many generations upon us.
* Elukir gestures to the remains in the box, which are skeletal and otherwise unadorned.
<Elukir> Let me know of what subject you wish to enquire of him, and I will be honoured to allow his words to pass through me in return.
* Llillilli hesitates, trying to think of something to ask a centuries old corpse that isn't insipid...
<Llillilli> Can he tell me, uh... about... his wife?
<Elukir> Yes, I can ask him to speak of her. Is there anything in particular you want to know about her?
<Llillilli> Um... why did he marry her?
* Llillilli half winces.
* Elukir sort of smiles but nods.
* Elukir again performs the invokation to speak with the ancestors, asking for Iliben's wisdom and insight to be bestowed upon him, and repeating your question for the long-dead man.
<Elukir> His wife was named Ulida. She was older than him, and had gained much wealth and prestige in her youth. He says that... hm. He says that although she was not as beautiful as some, he came to appreciate her fine... qualities. He married her not for her wealth or power, but because of her wisdom and skills. Beauty is fleeting, but one's inner qualities are more important.
* Elukir may be translating or paraphrasing slightly >.>
<Llillilli> (lol, sm)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+5
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Elukir> (older ladies got it goin on)
* Elukir clears his throat and will proceed with the final part of the ritual.
<Elukir> Elder Iliben, your descendant Rasaben seeks to wed with this woman, Llillilli of the Ghughife. Do you give your blessing to their union?
* Elukir listens attentively
<Elukir> He answers that so long as you are content with one another, he gives his blessing.
* Elukir thanks the ancestor for his wisdom and again, respectfully, closes the casket.
<Elukir> The ancestors have given their words to you - think on them and reflect on their wisdom. May their blessings stay with you as you proceed with your marriage.
<Thelef> Thank you, cousin.
<Kiklatsa> We thank you, Voice Elukir, for your wisdom and for sharing these words of our ancestors.
<Llillilli> Yes, thanks.
* Llillilli breathes out with relief
* Elukir nods, stepping away from the altar, and gives you a smile.
* Thelef also smiles, and will accompany you back to the lineage house for a meal to conclude the evening.

Daifan talks about the day's events with Chimi and Idovo


* Daifan flops down on the ground when they get home and holds their arms out for either a monkey or a baby, whichever gets there first
* Idovo is cooking a good-sized fish over the fire and Chimi is entertaining baby Shira.
* Chimi doesn't mind passing Shira over to you, though :)
* Daifan takes her and cuddles her
<Chimi> Long day?
<Daifan> I'm staying here for ever
<Daifan> my feet are finished
<Chimi> the boat is still being repaired?
<Daifan> We walked over half the colony, I swear -_-
<Daifan> yes, and they sent us out to the north east anyway, so I don't think it would have mattered
<Daifan> I don't know how I made it home for dinner
<Idovo> well it's going to be worth it, look at this huge fish I caught :D
<Chimi> [w] he's very proud, acknowledge him or he won't shut up about it
<Daifan> yes its very large and impressive
<Daifan> I can't wait to shove it in my mouth :p
<Idovo> That's what she --
<Chimi> That's enough of that.
<Idovo> heh.
<Idovo> We've also prepared an elegant side salad.
<Chimi> He means there's some greens and onions.
<Daifan> greens are good ^-^
<Daifan> so the fishing was good?
<Idovo> I had some good luck today.
<Idovo> I got out early, found a good spot, and caught this big fat bastard on my fourth or fifth try.
<Daifan> I'll take luck
<Chimi> How was your day? Other than the walking all over the place.
<Daifan> uhh
<Daifan> there's these little lizad people who live in the swamps up north?
<Daifan> sorta people, anyway
<Daifan> Theyre pretty dumb and gross, and cute except for the spitting and puking. Like toddlers.
<Daifan> they got infected by a... blood pudding?
<Idovo> isn't that a kind of sausage?
<Daifan> some kind of gross slime creature that gets inside you and then you shit and puke and ooze out all your blood and die.
<Daifan> so no, don't eat it
* Idovo makes an 'ew' face
<Daifan> but I guess if you drink enough liquor the thing will die
<Daifan> so they;d briken into some people's homestead to drink all their wine
<Idovo> The best medicine!
<Daifan> which was fine, except one of them didn't get enough ot something and one of the slimes expolded out of it, so we had to kill it
<Daifan> and then they gave jimba a toad and ran away
<Idovo> they gave him ... a toad?
<Idovo> like, as a gift?
<Daifan> and then we had to walk allllll the way back to Kaskind :p
<Daifan> yup
<Daifan> they said it has good medecine
<Daifan> something in its spines
<Idovo> o_O
<Daifan> maybe?
<Daifan> I didn't look at it too closely, but it could be. or it could kill you
<Idovo> sounds... great
* Idovo says dubiously
<Daifan> or if you take a little bit it will be good and too much will kill you :p
<Daifan> well, it's Jimba, he loves all animals
<Chimi> and how do the rest of his shipmates feel about sharing their space with a possibly-poison toad?
<Daifan> well they already share it with a hippo and two huge dogs
<Daifan> and maybe a mole? I forget if he kept that - have't seen it around
<Daifan> it seemed liek a pretty chill toad, anyway
* Chimi nods
<Daifan> so not *violent* an poisonous
<Idovo> You wouldn't want an agitated toad. Agitoad.
* Chimi rolls her eyes at him (but affectionately)
* Daifan grins
<Idovo> I'm going to pronounce this fish... finished. fishnished.
* Daifan giggles
<Daifan> how was *your* day, Spider?
* Idovo moves it from the pan onto a wooden platter to cool a bit before he tries to cut it up.
<Chimi> Good - Miss Shira had a nice long nap and let me get a good bit of sewing done. Of course, she'll probably be up half the night.
<Daifan> mmhmm, probably
<Daifan> she;s being so sweet right now though, I can forgive her in advance :3
<Chimi> But I nearly finished the order of tunics, so I can probably get those done tomorrow even if I'm half asleep.
* Chimi smiles at that
<Daifan> who are they for?
<Chimi> (oh sure, make me give you a name ;)
<Chimi> (sec, I'll find someone :)
<Chimi> A trader named Zenesh. He wanted some goods to take when he goes out with his wagon into the rural areas and I guess he figures those people won't know or care that a corpseborn sewed their shirt.
<Daifan> wel, good for you, anyway :)
<Chimi> Extra work on the side is always good... if I can manage to get it done around baby care and everything else.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well you can always make daddy take her to work ^-^
<Daifan> until she starts moving around more, anyway...
* Daifan says, partly to Shira
<Chimi> It's true, I can. Especially if he's going to do all his day's work in half an hour and call it quits ;)
<Daifan> are you gonne be tearing the place up soon?
<Idovo> I'm efficient. Efishant :D
<Daifan> you sure are hooked on all these fish puns :p
<Daifan> don't be too gutted if you can't come up th another zinger
<Idovo> If it's too much, just let minnow.
<Idovo> I can try to scale back.
* Chimi chuckles, rolling her eyes.
* Daifan giggles
<Daifan> tha's all I've got. My brain is fried.
<Idovo> Just like this fish :D
<Daifan> like dinner :x
* Idovo nods, grinning
* Idovo will begin to serve up the meal for the family.
* Daifan is pretty hungry after walking around everywhere all day
<Daifan> mmmmmm
<Daifan> I wasted the last bit of mu lunch oe on ot the stupid lelesh :p
<Idovo> and they didn't even give you a toad in return? how ungrateful.
<Daifan> right?
<Daifan> well that didn't manage to actually spit on me so I guess there's that
<Chimi> How... nice of them. Although it sounds like it wasn't for lack of trying?
<Daifan> well its not the first time someone who wanted to spit on me has been disappointed ;p
<Idovo> They sound delightful.
<Daifan> they realy were like gross little drunk toddlers
* Idovo chuckles
<Idovo> Like the hith's embarrassing relatives they don't talk about? ;p
<Daifan> kind of?
<Daifan> they did,,,sort of speak Hith
<Daifan> some of them, anyway
* LilAsshole will come mooching around to see if you have any goodies
<Daifan> they had thier own language too, but it was,,, not very sophisticated
<Daifan> oh hello, I see how i is, now ther's food youll come down, just because Shira pulled your tail one time :x
* Daifan will give her some greens and try and coax her to sit on my shoulder
<LilAsshole> ee?
* LilAsshole accepts the offering and will sit and nibble them on your shoulder.
<Daifan> :3
* Daifan leans ther head against her briefly
<Daifan> there's my girl :3
<LilAsshole> aa.
<Daifan> See, Shira, lil asshole is a friend and we only give gentle pets
* Chimi is now known as Shira
* @Shira will wave a chubby hand at the monkey but not actually grab her.
<Daifan> there see?
* LilAsshole edges away slightly, but doesn't flee.
<Daifan> that's nice
* Daifan will pet her gently to demonstrate
<Daifan> see?
<Daifan> we'll get you two sorted out, and then you can be best friends :3
<Idovo> She's learning - or else not coordinated enough to reliably grab yet ;)
<Daifan> hopefully learning.... Lil' asshole will bite if she's really scared and can't get away :x
<LilAsshole> ekek.
* LilAsshole agrees
<Daifan> we can only expect so much form you, it's true - everyone has their limits :3
<Daifan> and know you'd never bite *me* ^-^
<Idovo> Fortunately she's faster and much more agile than Shira ;)
<Idovo> And will likely stay that way for quite a while - which time we can use to keep teaching Shira about gentle pets.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I have confidence that Shira will be the only dependant doing any biting
<Idovo> And at least for now she doesn't have teeth. Although that'll probably change soon.
<Daifan> mmhmmm...
<Daifan> and the crawling... when does that start?
* Shira is now known as Chimi
<Chimi> Probably another couple of months yet. She's starting to push herself up if you put her down on her stomach, but she really hates it.
<Daifan> oh I hate getting up too Shira...
<Idovo> She's so smart already. Being up is the first step towards having to do things.
* Daifan grins
<Daifan> sadly my days of doing nothing by lazing around in bed are over :/
<Idovo> I should get her milk - she's probably jealous that we're all eating and she isn't.
<Idovo> Even Lil Asshole got dinner before her.
<Daifan> poor thing will think we're gonna let her starve
<Daifan> we're the worst parents
* Idovo gets her goat milk and will take her so he can feed her while you finish eating :)
<Idovo> There, see, we still love you. We didn't forget :3
* LilAsshole reaches down to sneak another piece of lettuce from your plate.
* Daifan will just feed her some more
<Daifan> I neant to go pick some more mangoes after work but.... they can wait untiol tomorrow
* LilAsshole chatters happily and will eat her "stolen" lettuce.
<Chimi> Yes - take it easy tonight.
<Daifan> Good, I will. I'm not going to stand up until I absolutely need to
<Daifan> if anyone wants me to go anywherem they'd better be ready to give me a serious foot rub first
<Chimi> You don't need to go anywhere to get a foot rub :)
<Chimi> Just let me finish eating first.
<Daifan> well... I wan' being entirely serious, but I'm also not going to turn you down ^_^
* Chimi smiles
<Chimi> Good :)

Katenzhi checks up on Ommas


* Katenzhi will take a short trip up to Timiil when there is a slow day at work and see if Ommas is around.
* AshnabisNarrator is now known as Ommas
* Ommas is hanging around the docks with some of his no-good friends, a couple of whom you think you recognize. When he spots you, though, he excuses himself from the group.
<Katenzhi> (Recognize from where? From the group that attacked us?)
<Ommas> (yeah)
<Katenzhi> (Ok)
<Katenzhi> Heya kid.
* Ommas wanders over and smiles thinly.
<Ommas> Uhh ... hey.
<Katenzhi> Sorry, did I catch you at a bad time?
<Ommas> No just ... didn't expect to see you here.
<Ommas> Are you here with your friends?
* Katenzhi shrugs.
<Katenzhi> Nope. Just me. Thought I could use a walk and I figured I'd come see how you were getting on.
* Ommas smiles.
<Ommas> Yeah, it's good. I mean, you mean with Sajan, or ...?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, that, but also in general.
<Ommas> You didn't tell me that Sajan was so ... uhhh ...
<Katenzhi> Weird? Intense? Horny?
<Ommas> Intense. Yeah, that's a good word.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, he can be that way at first. He grows on you, though. Like a wart.
<Katenzhi> What has he been teaching you?
<Ommas> Just ... like one minute he's like my best friend, wanting to take me out for a drink and have me introduce him to my cousins. And then it's like ... he's got a connection to the universe that he wants to show me. But every time he says it, it's like ... the thing he wants to show me is his ballsack.
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, that sounds like him.
<Ommas> How old do you think he is?
<Katenzhi> As old his gums and a bit younger than his teeth. Honestly? Probably old enough to be your grandfather.
<Ommas> So I probably should not introduce him to any more of my cousins.
<Katenzhi> Any more? Did you introduce him to some already?
<Ommas> Well just in the bar, there was one there, she said hi to me and he wanted to know who she was, that kind of thing.
<Katenzhi> Ooooooh, yeah...
<Ommas> I have a lot of cousins. Tsauters, we're everywhere, and that's not counting my Lentu cousins.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, maybe... try to keep him away from respectable family.
<Ommas> He also drinks ... so much.
<Katenzhi> It's better than the alternative. I saw him sober once... Once.
<Katenzhi> But despite all that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to magic and fos.
<Ommas> No, I mean, he's been very helpful.
<Katenzhi> That's good.
<Ommas> There aren't many manifests locally, except I guess the Lerushtis, but those are weird people.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. He's not the best person but you won't find a better Manifest between here and Omba. Jus take anything he says that isn't related to magic with a whole pile of salt.
<Ommas> Umm, did you ever ... ? You know ?
<Katenzhi> Did I ever... Oh sweet ancestors, no!
<Katenzhi> No, I mean... no, we never... no.
* Ommas breathes out deeply, apparently having been holding his breath while you considered your response.
<Katenzhi> Not for his lack of trying, certainly.
* Ommas laughs uneasily.
* Katenzhi shudders a bit at the thought.
<Katenzhi> How've you been... personally? Everything else going ok?
<Ommas> I ... guess I don't know?
* Katenzhi raises an eyebrow.
<Katenzhi> What's up?
<Ommas> Tsauters are, you know, low country folk. Folk what are not supposed to have aspirations. So it's hard to explain to people.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Family can be tough. But when you know what you want and you know that you're good at it... you have to at least try, right?
<Ommas> Right, so maybe if there was a thing, like, say I found religion and wanted to become a Voice, I have a cousin who did that, and that makes sense to people.
<Ommas> But I can't really explain Sajan to my family.
<Katenzhi> Yeah...
<Katenzhi> How old are you?
<Ommas> Sixteen.
<Katenzhi> You're basically an adult now. You're old enough to know your own mind. Worst case scenario, you save up for a few years and get a place in town if people still don't understand out here. Family is important but it can't be everything.
<Katenzhi> And remember, you're not with Sajan forever either. He's just a teacher.
<Katenzhi> Eventually most of us manifests go our own way. It's kind of in our nature.
<Katenzhi> Learn what you can and then make it yours.
<Ommas> I guess.
<Ommas> Is that what you're doing?
* Katenzhi considers that for a moment.
<Katenzhi> I'm trying to.
<Katenzhi> But I'm not really someone you probably want as a role model.
<Ommas> Why not?
<Katenzhi> ...because I'm not a great person.
<Ommas> I don't understand.
<Katenzhi> I killed your clansman. He may have been an asshole, but he was a person and I could have done things a million different ways that didn't involve incinerating him. And that's just one of my more recent mistakes. I want you to be better than that.
<Ommas> That was an accident. And he wasn't my clansman, just someone related through marriage somewhere way back.
<Ommas> I don't blame you for that.
<Katenzhi> I know. But I do.
<Ommas> I know.
<Ommas> I just want you to know that I think you're a great person, and I'll always be grateful to you.
* Katenzhi smiles.
<Katenzhi> Thanks. That means a lot.
<Katenzhi> And.. if you ever need a break from Sajan or... I don't know, just want to get a drink... I'm ussually around the docks.
* Ommas smiles.
<Ommas> I'd like that.
* Katenzhi looks over at his friends.
<Katenzhi> And try to keep those guys out of trouble, ok? Make sure they're not waylaying anyone else on the road or something.
* Ommas laughs.
<Ommas> I'll try.
* Katenzhi smiles again.
<Katenzhi> Alright. I'll see you around, kid.