Diamond tells Rachel about the baby, 5/28/2005
- Rachel_ woke up horrified when she saw the time. And how did she get in her room? She was supposed to go see Diamond if Diamond was feeling
<Diamond> Janus would bring you to his mother's room; Michael and Windrider were hanging about outside, speaking lowly. <Diamond> So you would have gotten to say hello to them, and then Windrider would show you in to see the queen.
- Rachel_ would have curtseyed to the king and all...
- Rachel_ is wearing the long grey simple satin gown that she wore on Beltaine. She isn't well off enough to have a different outfit for
every day like Diamond seems to have. ;)
- Rachel_ looks a bit drawn even after her rest, if anyone is paying attention.
- Rachel_ enters Diamond's rooms behind Windrider.
- Diamond is sitting in a highbacked chair, at a low table beside a window overlooking the gardens. She is wearing a long white gown composed
of multitudes of gossamer layers which seem to float about her, and a long, deep violet velvet robe.
- Diamond holds in her hand a glass of blood-red wine, which seems even darker against her pale skin.
- Rachel_ curtseys low and formal to the Queen. Hmmm, she's learning. ;)
- Diamond is thinner than you remember, but her illness seems to have given her a terrible romantic beauty rather than a sickly look.
<Diamond> (Windrider will leave you to it) <Diamond> (There is a distinct lack of servants in the room) <Diamond> Hello Rachel. <Diamond> How good of you to come. <Rachel_> Hello, Your Majesty.
- Diamond does not get up.
<Rachel_> Well, how could I not? I was troubled by the news of your illness. :/
- Rachel_ loves her grandmother so much. ;_;
<Diamond> We did not wish to call you away for such a thing. <Diamond> Please, sit.
- Rachel_ does so.
- Rachel_ settles her skirt about her, the picture of a well-brought up young lady.
<Diamond> (There are some finger sandwiches and lemon cakes and other such small foods on a tray on the table, as well as the bottle of wine,
another glass, tea things, and a pitcher of iced water.)
<Diamond> Would you care for anything?
- Diamond asks formally.
<Rachel_> Oh, thank you. I can help myself.
- Rachel_ doesn't want to make Diamond feel obliged to pour and serve since there are no servants.
- Rachel_ pauses to make sure that is okay...
- Diamond makes no indication either way.
<Rachel_> Would you care for anything else? <Diamond> No, thank you.
- Diamond takes a small, ladylike sip of her drink.
- Rachel_ pours herself a cup of tea, then.
<Diamond> I see you have brought Trolius with you.
- Diamond says as you pour.
- Rachel_ nods.
<Diamond> Is your knight homesick? <Rachel_> He wanted to meet with some of his old friends here. <Diamond> Are you? <Rachel_> Oh, I don't know if he is homesick. You'd have to ask him...
- Rachel_ pauses. That's a loaded question.
- Rachel_ sets her teacup aside.
<Rachel_> I am, a bit. <Rachel_> You were right, you know. <Rachel_> I'm not ready to be a baroness.
- Rachel_ admits and looks away.
<Diamond> Hm. <Rachel_> But I can't just stop now. Especially now. <Diamond> I hear you have had troubles. <Rachel_> I have to see this through... <Diamond> Deaths.
- Rachel_ nods.
- Diamond lifts her eyebrows very slightly, prompting you to elaborate.
<Rachel_> And likely more to come. <Diamond> Most unpleasant, isn't it.
- Rachel_ nods, disconsolate. She is trying not to cry.
<Rachel_> It's different, when people die because you told them to go do something. When they're not fighting for their own lives. <Rachel_> It's hard, to know you're responsible. <Diamond> Your life will be long. You will have more deaths on your conscience than you can number. <Diamond> You must temper yourself.
- Diamond swirls the liquid in her glass.
<Rachel_> ... <Rachel_> I don't know if I can. If I can turn off my feelings like that. <Rachel_> I think it would be like dying, for me. <Diamond> Then perhaps your life will *not* be so very long.
- Diamond says, sighing.
- Rachel_ blinks back tears.
<Rachel_> It's lonely. <Diamond> Yes. It is.
- Diamond says matter of factly.
<Rachel_> You are just so much stronger than I. <Rachel_> I'm missing that part... I can feel it missing. <Diamond> What do you think you ought to do about it, then? <Rachel_> I don't know, yet.
- Diamond watches you closely, her gemstone eyes glittering coolly.
<Rachel_> I need to find a reason to want to be strong, I think... if that makes sense. <Diamond> Try this one.
- Diamond rises slowly, an imposing figure still, despite her slight form.
- Rachel_ looks back at Diamond. What's she going to do next?
<Diamond> Your enemies, like wolves, can sense weakness. <Diamond> And like wolves, they will set upon you, and tear you to bits.
- Diamond moves over to the window, and sets her glass upon the sill. She leans on the frame.
- Rachel_ stays seated where she is, watching you. Do you have more to add? Because nothing you just said resonated, so much... ;_;
<Diamond> Is that not reason enough?
- Diamond looks back at you sharply.
I don't know, Your Majesty.
- Rachel_ expects that I am about to be hated again.
<Rachel_> ... <Rachel_> Where is Dovev? <Diamond> He is not here.
- Rachel_ asks, finally. Before getting sent away. I still don't know what's wrong with you.
- Diamond says, looking out the window, once more.
<Rachel_> (Does she seem ticked off with me?) <Diamond> (Well, exasperated, I guess... but tiredly so.) <Diamond> He has gone to Snowdon with Kolya. <Rachel_> Oh? <Diamond> Yes.
- Diamond returns to her chair and settles back into it.
<Rachel_> ... <Diamond> He is on a vision-quest.
- Rachel_ nods.
<Rachel_> To try to help you with your illness?
- Rachel_ guesses.
<Diamond> They think I may die.
- Diamond laughs once, coldly.
<Diamond> I will not permit it.
- Rachel_ looks very unhappy.
<Rachel_> It's that bad, is it? <Diamond> I will be fine. <Rachel_> What... is the matter? Everyone is so glum, and father looks positively drained.
- Rachel_ hopes that isn't too rude. But she feels she has a right to know. ;_:
<Diamond> It seems that this poison womb may yet bear fruit again. <Rachel_> o.O <Rachel_> You're expecting? <Diamond> I will not give up on this child. <Rachel_> Well, that... that's wonderful! <Rachel_> But I understand why everyone is so worried about you, now... <Diamond> They wish that I would have killed it. <Diamond> But they cannot see the end. None can. I have tried.
- Rachel_ nods.
<Rachel_> It must be very difficult to have such a happy occurrence, and everyone else wishing it had never happened. :/ <Rachel_> And Kolya's gone to try to find out more. <Diamond> Perhaps he too will fail. <Diamond> ¬_¬ <Rachel_> If he came back successful, and the news were not good... would you do as they wish?
- Rachel_ asks carefully.
<Diamond> I will make my own decision. <Diamond> Rachel.
- Rachel_ looks up at you.
- Rachel_ seems excited for you but also concerned.
<Diamond> If something were to happen to me, it would fall to you to look after your father. <Rachel_> ... <Rachel_> What? <Rachel_> . o O (I can't even look after myself, let alone my *father*. He's supposed to look after me.) <Diamond> Sooner or later, Hayley will desert him. You know it as well as I. <Rachel_> Oh. >:| <Diamond> He is such a fragile child... <Rachel_> ... <Rachel_> . o O (Like me.) <Diamond> You and Michael... you must ensure that he does not do anything foolish... <Diamond> If I am not here.
- Diamond draws herself up in her chair.
- Rachel_ 's wings droop a bit.
<Rachel_> Of course I'll do what I can, but I hope it won't be necessary... :/
I love you.
<Diamond> I would not worry about me just yet.
- Rachel_ looks down at her lap.
- Rachel_ nods, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.
- Rachel_ looks back up at you.
<Rachel_> If anyone can make this all turn out through sheer force of will, it would be you.
- Rachel_ smiles slightly.
<Diamond> Thank you.
- Rachel_ seems confident in your ability to survive. ;)
- Diamond reaches out and lifts your chin up slightly.
<Diamond> You are a good girl, Rachel. <Diamond> Never forget who you are.
- Rachel_ meets your gaze, eyes clear and blue.
<Diamond> And never let them see you cry.
- Rachel_ nods, once. Hesitantly.
- Diamond pats you on the cheek lightly, her expression rather softer than you've seen it in some time.
<Diamond> I'm afraid I must retire now. <Diamond> I grow... fatigued. <Rachel_> Of course.
- Rachel_ says gently.
<Rachel_> Shall I send for someone to remove the refreshments? <Diamond> Windrider will see to it. <Rachel_> Very well. <Rachel_> Take care, Your Majesty... <Diamond> Good day, Rachel.
- Rachel_ stands up and curtseys, then takes her leave.