Difference between revisions of "Ashnabis session 34"

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "{{logtoc|Ashnabis|34}} ==Summary== ==Session== Session date: June 14, 2020 <br>Fair Cycle date: ===Jimba pays off Salozh=== <br>* Salozh is down by the docks in Kaskind, c...")
 
(No difference)

Latest revision as of 18:31, 27 June 2020

Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 34 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: June 14, 2020
Fair Cycle date:

Jimba pays off Salozh


* Salozh is down by the docks in Kaskind, checking over her ship.
* Jimba heads over.
<Jimba> Captain.
* Jimba says politely.
<Salozh> I was wondering if you would have the courage to come by.
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> And I was wondering if you could manage civility. I guess we both got our questions answered.
<Salozh> Those are my goods. Stolen from me. I think I'm entitled to be a bit cross about the situation.
<Jimba> I'm not denying that.
<Jimba> But I think I've been perfectly cooperative.
<Salozh> All right.
<Salozh> So, then ... you have come to cooperate? apologize? both?
<Jimba> Cooperate. As to apology...I don't think I can honestly give one that you'd appreciate.
<Salozh> All right.
<Salozh> So, then: what do you propose?
<Jimba> I can offer you the goods you claim are yours for [discounted price].
<Jimba> That's me selling them at cost.
<Jimba> No profit for me.
<Salozh> A counter-offer: you can offer me my goods back for free, and I will not have you charged.
<Jimba> What crime is it you plan to charge me with?
* Malqatar is now known as Katenzhi
<Salozh> I haven't decided yet. Piracy, perhaps? Although it seems that all of Fort Kaskind is in league with pirates in any case.
<Salozh> You are proposing that I forget about the Imbis Blue you have already sold, and made a profit on.
<Jimba> We've already established that I literally could not be present at the attack on your ship.
<Salozh> You are asking me to pay for my own goods.
<Jimba> You're asking me to accept on faith that they are your goods.
<Salozh> The fact that you're here suggests that you are conceding that point - or that others have asked you to concede the point.
<Jimba> I'm conceding that it might have been your property at one point.
<Jimba> Currently, it is my property. I'm willing to offer it to you at no loss to me, but I'm not going to pay for your misfortune.
<Salozh> I'm not paying. You will give them to me, be grateful for the profit you've already made, and also that we find ourselves on the same side of this strange alliance.
<Jimba> I don't know you. For all I know, you've pulled this scam before.
* Salozh quirks her head.
<Salozh> Is that the position you want to take to the reckoners?
<Jimba> Should it come to that, sure.
<Salozh> I will pay you half. Half of what you have asked. Your losses on your venture are not my concern.
* Jimba frowns.
<Jimba> Seventy-five percent.
<Salozh> No, half.
<Jimba> Is this how you conduct all your business?
<Salozh> Just my business with pirates and their kin.
<Jimba> Very well. Good day, captain. I'm sorry we couldn't come to a reasonable agreement.
* Jimba turns to go.
<Salozh> Go, if you must.
* Jimba pauses.
<Jimba> Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the shipment?
<Salozh> I could ask you the same thing.
<Jimba> Fair enough, I suppose.
* Jimba sighs.
<Salozh> Half.
<Jimba> [Half of what he proposed]. Fine, to be done with this.
<Salozh> Very well. I am glad to see that even the famed Kaskos pirates can be reasonable.
<Salozh> Payment upon delivery of the goods, of course.
<Jimba> I'm beginning to see why you had to come here to make a profit. I can't imagine your 'negotiating' went over well back home.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Of course.
<Jimba> I'll have the stock brought over forthwith.
<Salozh> Thank you.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Good day, captain, and good luck. Both in your future endeavors and the coming battle.
<Salozh> You as well.

The group return to Ruur with supplies and make their plans to rescue Sileshu


<AshnabisGM> Since your return from your latest excursion to Ruur, you have met with General Ghurtai and together, developed a plan for rescuing Sileshu Heptachei from the Cormorant where he is being held prisoner by the pirate Yeggun Shotser.
<AshnabisGM> You will take the Menagerie back shortly, laden with food and supplies for the beleaguered people of Pashas in advance of the planned joint attack on the Cormorant Fleet by the loosely-allied navies of Kaskind and Charadip, return Sileshu to his family, and escape unnoticed. That's the plan, anyway.
<AshnabisGM> It has occurred to you more than once over the past couple of days that you are no soldiers. But it is far too late to be questioning your capacity for this critical mission.
<AshnabisGM> Aijo Shubai, the quartermaster for the colony, has brought supplies from the Fort and the Menagerie sits low in the water, filled with food, bandages, clothing, oil, and wine.
<AshnabisGM> A small merchant ship is unlikely to attract much attention - and soon enough, the Cormorants will have much bigger concerns anyway.
<AshnabisGM> You make the quick dash across the bay and out to Ruur, just a couple of hours, and make landfall at what is now, you suppose, your usual spot.
<AshnabisGM> You take what supplies you can carry and head out to the Heptachei lineage house, leaving the rest for later.
<AshnabisGM> You are quickly granted admittance and find yourself once again meeting with Shima Heptachei, acting as ifti in her father's absence.
<Shima> You've returned! And with supplies, thank the ancestors!
<Llillilli> All that we could carry.
* Veznara gives a quick brief smile.
<Llillilli> There's more on the boat.
<Veznara> How have things been here?
<Shima> I can send a few of our people to help carry more.
<Soba> We were not certain whether we should believe in your return.
<Shima> Salidu, get a few of the other young men ready to go bring more supplies from their ship.
<Jimba> I can imagine hope's been in short supply here.
* Shima says to one of the teenage boys around, who grumbles a bit, but does as he's told.
<Jimba> But we'll keep helping as best we can.
<Shima> Thank you so much. This will help greatly.
<Soba> We're tough people ... but this is extraordinary. The young folk, especially, are tired and desperate and anxious.
<Soba> With both Ulutse and Liwhis gone - it is hard on all of them.
<Shima> It's hard to tell them that the best thing they can do right now is stay at home... that going out to pick fights or steal supplies will only serve to make the situation worse.
<Shima> They want to feel like they've done something, protected their home... but we want them to stay alive.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> And is there any news of your father?
<Shima> Nothing new. We believe he's still being held on the Cormorant.
<Veznara> I'm sorry.
<Shima> Thank you... Do you still think you will be able to rescue him? Or is it too much of a risk?
* Veznara looks at the others
<Veznara> I think... we would like to try.
* Llillilli nods
<Katenzhi> We're gonna try.
<Soba> What is your plan?
<Shima> And is there anything we can do to help?
<Veznara> Can you tell us more about the Cormorant, and about the pirates' routines?
<Shima> I can't tell you much about the Cormorant, as I've never been on it. It's anchored in the harbour, and of course it's Yeggun's flagship so he's often on board it, when he's not in town. It's large and has many crew, so it's always busy.
<Soba> They keep it in good shape, ready to set sail at any moment.
<Shima> The pirates spend a good deal of their time at the Floating Otter when they're not on their ships.
<Soba> That's true. They must be bringing their own stores of drink at this point, though.
<Veznara> When you say 'many' crew, does that mean a few dozen?
<Soba> Yes, a few dozen on the Cormorant herself, plus of course there are many other ships in the fleet.
<Soba> It's hard to know who belongs to which ship when they're in port.
* Veznara nods, frowning slightly
<Shima> After dark many of them are either drinking at the Otter, or off doing who knows what - though they never leave the ship undefended of course. There would always be at least a few sailors on watch there.
<Veznara> Yes, I'm sure there are. We'd need to sneak past them somehow.
<Soba> Perhaps very, very early in the morning, before dawn, is the least active time.
<Veznara> Unfortunately, the timing may not be entirely up to us...
<Daifan> hmmm
<Veznara> Is an approach by water possible?
<Daifan> It will have to be, I think.
* Daifan looks to Kat
<Daifan> if we approached on a small craft of some kind, could you hide us with magic?
<Katenzhi> I think so. Should be doable.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> and teleport out? Or some of us...
<Veznara> What scouting... or, I suppose I should say, scrying?
<Veznara> We need to get an idea of the layout of the ship, if we can.
<Junan> Jimba knows boats, I'm sure there mostly similar
<Veznara> Is there a standard brig where we can expect to find Sileshu?
<Soba> I really don't know where he would be found. The Cormorant is a great ship.
<Jimba> (Do I know anything about it?)
<AshnabisGM> You don't know enough to know where its brig might be, or whether Sileshu would necessarily even be there.
<Veznara> Even if it is similar to other ships, I don't think we can be sure. It would be better to check everything we can ahead of time.
<Veznara> If we can.
<Jimba> (I just meant in general, do I at least know what the general layout of the ship might be?)
<Veznara> What about Sileshu himself? We don't know what sort of condition he's in. But does he have particular skills that might help in an escape?
<Soba> He is hithkindred, and can breathe underwater. As long as he's well enough to swim, he can get away.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> That's good. I was hoping something like that might be the case.
<Veznara> Could he even... well, just *stay* underwater, if need be?
<Veznara> That might be the safest place for him.
<Soba> He could, as long as he needs to.
* Veznara nods again
<Veznara> Good.
<Veznara> However, if Sileshu is freed from their keeping, surely the pirates will come here shortly afterward.
<Veznara> Even if they expect him to hide elsewhere, they may want another hostage. :/
<Shima> It would be the first place they woudl look, surely. Is there any way you can think of to avoid them knowing he's escaped? At least for a short time? If we only need to delay until the attack, it wouldn't have to hold up to lengthy investigation.
<Katenzhi> hmmm
<Katenzhi> That shouldn't be hard
<Katenzhi> A simple illusion should do it for a while.
* Shima nods
<Veznara> Yes. That's why I mentioned timing.
<Daifan> hmm.
* Veznara gives Daifan a bit of a side-eye at that second "Hmmm"...
<Veznara> No matter how short the time, though, the pirates seem almost sure to react in some way that will be... well, not good. :/
<Junan> we could try and scuttle another ship on our way out, to keep em distracted
<Daifan> I have something that might eb able to help - but I will need to get it back, after the attack is over, and, hopefully, the pirates driven out
<Daifan> its a mask that allows you to disguise yourself for an hour each day
<Daifan> he could retend to be anyone othr than himself if they came to search here - even if they returned
<Daifan> you would still need to keep him hidden, though, but it shouldn't be for so very long
* Veznara looks at Daifan in surprise at the news of this powerful item
* Daifan looks ack at her.
<Daifan> I was given it to use by this mission by an ally at the fort
<Veznara> I see. Well, that could certainly be useful!
<Veznara> Could we use it to get on board the ship undetected\/
<Junan> probably not easily
<Soba> We do have some here in town with some knowledge of fos - and with what you brought last time, we could disguise Sileshu ourselves. The concern is that they then would tear the whole town apart looking for him.
<Daifan> hmmm...
<Daifan> perhaps it is better if no one knows he isgone then
<Junan> so we leave a decoy behind
<Veznara> What sort of decoy?
<Jimba> I suppose it wouldn't help if they thought he was gone but not here?
<Katenzhi> I can do it.
<Katenzhi> I can make myself look like him.
<Katenzhi> And when the attack starts I can be out of there in an instant.
* Veznara looks at Katenzhi with concern
<Katenzhi> What? I can.
<Katenzhi> I'm not good for a lot but I'm good with fos.
<Veznara> I'm just worried for your sake. It's a bold plan, but it could always go wrong. :/
<Katenzhi> So can tying your Dashi.
<Jimba> Tying your dashi isn't a bold plan.
<Katenzhi> You've never seen me tie mine.
* Junan chuckles
<Katenzhi> (Oh scratch that, Jimba probably has :V)
<Katenzhi> (I thought it was Veznara who said that)
<Veznara> Well, now I want to see that. From a safe distance.
<Daifan> they might mistreat you...
<Veznara> Anyway, if we do try a switch like that... how do we do it?
<Daifan> the same as getting him out any outher way...
<Katenzhi> It won't be for long. I can take a punch.
<Veznara> Will the disguise hold up under that kind of mistreatment, though?
<Daifan> my concern is that... we might need your maic to escape safely, and it may be had for you to keep and conceal the fos ou will need to get out
<Junan> if were gonna leave someone to pretend to be him, it should probably be me, since I'm more likely to be able to pull it off... just hide a means for me get out
<Katenzhi> It should. Long as I don't open my mouth.
<Katenzhi> That's the issue. How do you get out after?
<Katenzhi> I'm the only one that can teleport.
<Katenzhi> Well... consistently.
<Jimba> So we stick with an illusion, right?
<Junan> leave some fos or a key so I can open the door, and I'll get out.
<Katenzhi> I can do an illusion, but making one from nothing that stands on its own... that takes a lot more magic than a simple disguise. It's riskier.
<Veznara> I... I mislike this. No matter how skilled you are, magic is not entirely predictable. :/
<Jimba> We don't actually need to leave something, do we?
<Jimba> They shouldn't have much time to react.
<Katenzhi> Assuming it goes to plan.
<Katenzhi> What if they're late?
<Jimba> You mean, what if something delays them after they send us the go ahead?
<Jimba> A mile isn't very far, nautically-speaking.
<Katenzhi> I could just leave a temporary illusion then. It would last a matter of minutes but it's a bit easier.
<Jimba> We just need enough time to get off the ship, really.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Jimba> The fleet will be a good distraction. ;)
<Veznara> In either case, somebody has to get onboard, find Sileshu, get him free, and stay undetected for long enough to get away with it.
<Veznara> Invisibility or stealth might get us to the ship, but how do we proceed once we're there?
<Katenzhi> Carefully?
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> with care, as you say. and we will be a good distraction, I think, when the fleet arrives
<Katenzhi> Great. I love being a distraction.
<Veznara> Well, back to what I was saying before: can we scout or scry in some way ahead of time?
<Katenzhi> I can try to scry on him.
* Veznara nods
<Katenzhi> or I can try to find where he is magically when we're at the boat
<Veznara> I think that would be a good idea. The more we know ahead of time, the better the chances of getting in and out quickly without trouble. I hope. :/
<Katenzhi> Let me see what I can find out from here.
<Katenzhi> give me a minute...
* Katenzhi will pop some fos and try scrying on Sileshu.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 13 ].
<AshnabisGM> !roll 1d20+4
* Daifan rolls for AshnabisGM: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Katenzhi> Hmmm... its difficult to get through...
<Katenzhi> I can't see anything.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> They're blocking it somehow?
<Katenzhi> Maybe. I don't know.
<Daifan> can you not try again?
<Veznara> Can you still speak to him, as you did before? Ask where he is on the boat, what his surroundings look like?
<Katenzhi> Not for a while at least.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, I can send him a message.
<Daifan> well if we have time then we can try again befre the fleet is close
<Katenzhi> Let me try to contact him directly.
* Katenzhi will send the message "Rescue attempt soon. What is your condition? How are you being restrained? Where on ship are you? Are you guarded? Can you swim?"
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 32 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> You receive a reply back from Sileshu: "In cell at bow, one level below deck. Door is locked, one guard, no restraints. I am well, can swim if necessary."
* Katenzhi will relay that.
<Katenzhi> That sounds pretty good actually. I think we can deal with that.
<Daifan> mmmhmm!

They make their way to the docks, and Jimba, Llillilli, and Katenzhi sneak on board the Cormorant


<AshnabisNarrator> Okay - you spend some time at the lineage house, helping out with bringing in the remainder of the supplies and tending to any sick or injured people there, waiting for the signal from the general.
<AshnabisNarrator> Finally, in the small hours of the morning, Shima receives a message from the General - the fleet are a mile away from the island, and are gathering their forces with the goal to attack by sunrise.
<Jimba> All right. Time to do this, then.
* Katenzhi takes a deep breath.
<Katenzhi> Ok.
* Daifan nods
<Katenzhi> We can do this.
<Daifan> Good luck all of you - we will try to stay close to help if we can
<AshnabisNarrator> So, just so we have it in the logs, Kat, Jimba, and Llillilli are going to head out to the ship to try and rescue Sileshu, while Daifan, Junan, and Veznara keep an eye on the situation from near the docks in case something goes wrong.
<Veznara> May the Ancestors guide you and keep you safe.
<Llillilli> We'll be fine
<Daifan> I'm sure :)
* Katenzhi says a quick prayer to the ancestors.
* Katenzhi will cast waterbreathing now and invisibility sphere when we get near the dock.
<AshnabisNarrator> You travel cautiously through Pashas, past the ruins of the hith pools, a sad reminder of the recent tragedy here. The Statue of Harmony, untouched by Yeggun's raid, seems now a sad mockery of its once-noble symbolism. Perhaps one day this place can be restored - or perhaps not.
<AshnabisNarrator> The walk through the town is quiet as the pre-dawn light from the east filters dimly through the streets. Even the main square is empty until you reach the area down by the docks, where you can still hear some rowdiness coming out of the Floating Otter.
<AshnabisNarrator> You head down to the main docks without any real challenge, and then see, a short distance out in the harbour, a mighty ship of oak dark-stained with pitch, the flagship and namesake of Yeggun's fleet: the Cormorant itself.
<AshnabisNarrator> Nearly a hundred feet long, it has three large sails and at least three or four levels, judging by its height. A black cormorant figurehead at the bow reminds you in whose presence you stand and exactly whose ship you are seeking to be stealing onto today. You're none of you native-born to this area but Yeggun Shotser is a figure of terror among the Aummesh.
<AshnabisNarrator> You can make out a single figure standing on the deck. In the dim light you can see that he's male and heavyset, but nothing more at this distance.
<AshnabisNarrator> So, Kat, go ahead and cast your spells.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 26 ].
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 30 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> nice, no problems there.
<AshnabisNarrator> Can the three folks staying back also make a Stealth roll just to know how well you're doing at being inconspicuous? I'm willing to let the one of you with the best score (maybe Daifan?) roll for all three, on the assumption you can rely on them to tell you where is best to hide.
<Veznara> (Not me - I'm at +1 total. :/ )
<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, Llillilli, and Jimba can swim out to the ship, keeping close enough to one another to stay within the invisibility sphere. Once you reach the side, is one of you going to climb up with a rope?
<Llillilli> (yeah, me)
<Llillilli> (I think I have the best climb of us? 10?)
<AshnabisNarrator> Okay. Could you make a Climb check, then, please?
<Katenzhi> (Beats my... 0.)
* Daifan rolls [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 24 ]
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+10
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 29 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> Llillilli climbs up the side of the ship with ease, keeping to the shadows so the guard doesn't notice. Then once you're up on deck, do you want to try and take out the guard, or lower a rope to the others first?
<AshnabisGM> ok
<AshnabisNarrator> The guard hasn't noticed you yet.
<Llillilli> (I will quietly secure the rope and then go for the guard if he still hasn't noticed me)
<AshnabisNarrator> Okay. You can lower the rope to the others, and they can climb up.
<AshnabisNarrator> Stealth checks to see if the guard notices all of this going on, please.
* Llillilli motions to where the guard is
<AshnabisNarrator> And DC 5 climb checks for the other two, just in case.
<Jimba> Stealth checks here or on Roll20?
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+1
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+1 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 6 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> we can do it in here, at least until something goes wrong. if combat happens, we'll move to roll20 but it's easier for me for logs if we have most stuff in here.
<Jimba> Whew
<Katenzhi> (Climb then stealth)
<Katenzhi> 1roll 1d20+0
<Jimba> (Yeah, that was climb)
<Veznara> (Phew!)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 13 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba scrambles up and over the side, slipping slightly but not falling. Katenzhi also manages to make the climb.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+23
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+23 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 23 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Llillilli> well I got a 19 stealth in roll20 but I may destiny reroll it depending on how others do >.>
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+13
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 24 ].
<AshnabisGM> you also get a +20 because of the invisibility
<AshnabisGM> right?
<AshnabisNarrator> yeah
<Llillilli> oh I forgot.
<Jimba> Oh, so, 44.
<Llillilli> so then I get a 39.
<Jimba> :p
<Llillilli> lol.
<AshnabisGM> I mean, just don't roll a 1
<AshnabisNarrator> You are not detected. The guard remains looking out to sea, watching for any sign of trouble, oblivious to you.
<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba and Llillilli, you can approach him, taking up positions on either side, weapons drawn, and stab him. Katenzhi needs to stay close though too, because of the invis sphere?
<AshnabisNarrator> You can't be too far apart.
<Llillilli> (do we need to roll or do we just murder him)
<AshnabisGM> you need to roll
<Jimba> (Is there a bonus on the roll?)
<Llillilli> (I think he takes ac penalties? and we get the flank)
<AshnabisGM> no. he loses all Dex and other dodgey bonuses
<AshnabisGM> You get your ordinary flanking bonuses
<AshnabisNarrator> You stab him in unison, he gives a slight gurgle of surprise, and then you are pretty sure he's dead or immediately going to be. You can quickly dump his body overboard.
<Llillilli> (byeeeeeeeeeee)
<Katenzhi> <w> that's... really gros...
<AshnabisNarrator> That does end your invis, but you were probably about to run out shortly anyway.
<Llillilli> <w> Good work
* Jimba nods.

They make their way below decks, talking their way past a guard, and find Sileshu


<AshnabisNarrator> Now, you want to head below deck to try and find Sileshu?
<Katenzhi> (Yup)
* Jimba heads that way.
<Llillilli> (yup)
<Jimba> (Any chance I recognize this particular pirate?)
<Jimba> (I do frequent pirate bars. ;) )
<AshnabisNarrator> (just copying my description over because it will save me time with logs later)
<AshnabisNarrator> Sileshu indicated he was at the bow of the ship - when you look in that direction, there is a pirate sitting there, looking kind of bored. Probably the guard he mentioned.
* PirateTeen is a young woman, perhaps no older than sixteen or so, tall and slender with short-cropped black hair
<Jimba> (How is she armed?)
* Llillilli looks at Katenzhi and makes a waggling fingers gesture
<AshnabisNarrator> She's in studded leather armor and has two shortswords at her sides.
<AshnabisNarrator> Okay, you want to try and charm her, so make your roll to cast that.
* Katenzhi will attempt to charm person on the guard.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 22 ].
* Llillilli readies her weapons just in case.
<PirateTeen> !roll 1d20+3
* Daifan rolls for PirateTeen: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 13 ].
<PirateTeen> Hey, what? Who's there?
<Katenzhi> At ease, sailor.
<Katenzhi> We're friends.
<PirateTeen> All right. Me too.
<PirateTeen> Are you new here?
<Katenzhi> Yup. We're here to relieve you. Captain says you can go get some rest.
<PirateTeen> That doesn't sound like Uncle Yeggun.
* Jimba shrugs.
* Katenzhi will put a hand reassuringly on the kid's shoulder.
<Katenzhi> He needs you sharp for tomorrow. Says there might be a fight.
<PirateTeen> All right. Makes sense.
<Katenzhi> Good good. Don't worry, we'll keep watch here.
<Jimba> Hey, do you know if Aptan's around?
<PirateTeen> On shore, at the Otter, the lucky bastard. How come I get stuck here and he gets the night off?
<PirateTeen> You guys friends with him too?
<Jimba> Yeah, I owe him some coin, but, hey, I'll take ducking him for now.
* Jimba smiles.
* PirateTeen laughs.
<PirateTeen> Prisoner's been quiet tonight. I think we broke him.
<Jimba> Hey, easier for us, right?
* Katenzhi nods.
* Llillilli is happy to let the more charismatic folks handle this >.>
<PirateTeen> Sure is. Uh, say, what did you say your names were again?
<Llillilli> Pala.
<PirateTeen> Cool. I'm Kayibir. I like your spears.
* PirateTeen is now known as Kayibir
<Jimba> Mochu. Nice to meet you, Kayibir.
<Katenzhi> Nice to meet you Kayibir. I'm Zefa.
<Kayibir> All right, well, I should get going
<Katenzhi> Get some sleep.
<Kayibir> Will do.
* Kayibir heads off.
* Katenzhi will wait until she's away and then approach the cell.
<AshnabisNarrator> The door is locked.
* Katenzhi casts knock.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Katenzhi> (Still a pass, I believe. It's level 2)
<AshnabisNarrator> Okay, that will make it.
<AshnabisNarrator> You can open the door.
<Katenzhi> Sileshu?
* Sileshu seems thinner than you remember him, and his thin ridge of gray hair around needs a trim, but he appears uninjured. As he sits up from the narrow cot where he was lying, though, you see that his face is weary and worn. He's wearing a plain brown dashi.
<Katenzhi> Can you walk?
<Sileshu> What is it? Who ...? oh, I recognize you.
<Llillilli> time to go
<Jimba> We were sent to rescue you, and time is of the essence.
* Sileshu nods, but looks wary.
<Sileshu> Have you spoken to my family? They are well?
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Katenzhi> They are well. Worried about you.
<Llillilli> ()
<Katenzhi> (Assuming all convo is whispered)
<Sileshu> How can we ensure that my absence isn't detected? If Yeggun finds I've escaped, he will not hesitate to retaliate against my family.
<Jimba> He won't have time.
<Katenzhi> Trust us.
<Jimba> We're not the only help that's been sent.
<Sileshu> I have been such a fool. In my arrogance I presumed that Yeggun would not dare act against me, even after Liwhis escaped. I assumed the rules that used to apply still held...
* Sileshu looks torn, but nods.
<Sileshu> The things I've known my entire life - the peace of Pashas, the Nemmotam, the alliance with the People - all these things are ash.
<Jimba> Embers, maybe. We get you out, you can rekindle them.
<Llillilli> Thelef is in Sulise, working to preserve that alliance. but we can talk more of this later. We have to go.
* Katenzhi will take him by the hand.
<Jimba> Time waits for none, sir. We should go.
<Sileshu> I am beyond thinking that I can influence what your General will do, or even what my friend King Whuthe will do. Ironically the only one I seem to have any influence over is Yeggun - and only in the sense that I can keep him from doing further harm...
<Sileshu> but... perhaps you are right. If I go, then there is a chance, at least, to rebuild... if any of us survive...
* Sileshu will move towards the door with you.
* Jimba will move ahead to keep a look out.
<Katenzhi> <w> should I just get him to land?
* Llillilli nods...
<Llillilli> <w> but if you can make an illusion too...
<AshnabisNarrator> The coast seems clear, Jimba.
<Katenzhi> I'm gonna take him back. Good luck.
<Llillilli> See you soon.
<Katenzhi> <w to Sileshu> Hold onto your dashi.
* Katenzhi will teleport with him to the family house.
<AshnabisNarrator> okay, make your roll to cast it.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+12
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 27 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> no problem
<AshnabisNarrator> and then the roll for teleport accuracy, a percentile.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d100
* Daifan rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d100 ] getting [ 12 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> I'm willing to say you're very familiar with the place, having been there multiple times. So that's no problem. you arrive with Sileshu back at the lineage house, unscathed.
<Jimba> <hith> Back over the side?
* Llillilli nods
* Jimba goes to do that.
<AshnabisNarrator> You can close the door, slip back up to the deck and over the side, and make your escape, then.
<AshnabisNarrator> Now we'll turn to the folks waiting on shore...

Back on shore, the group waiting encounter Aptan and Ulutse, who want to get out of their current situation


<AshnabisNarrator> Those of you waiting on shore keep an eye out. A few pirates come and go, mostly quite drunk so they don't notice you.
<AshnabisNarrator> Most of the local action is clearly centered on the tavern, which is about the only place for people to do anything fun in this town.
* Daifan thinks lucky thoughts at the boat team
* Veznara prays silently to the Ancestors
* Junan keeps an sharp eye out for trouble
<AshnabisNarrator> As you wait, hoping the others are safe, your watch is interrupted by a young couple, perhaps looking for a place for some quiet place to spend time together in amongst the coils of ropes and crates, or just to talk in private.
<AshnabisNarrator> They don't seem to have noticed you, but as you look at them from your hiding place, you can tell it's Aptan and Ulutse, both of whom you recognize.
* Daifan will listen in on their convo
<AshnabisNarrator> Well, their 'conversation' turns out to mostly be making out. There isn't a lot of conversation.
<Aptan> Ohh ... yeah like that ...
* Daifan rolls their eyes
* Junan will prep in his mind a disguise of one of the pirates he's seen
* Daifan looks to Junan
* Junan nods
* Daifan also nods and will clearly their throat audibly
* Junan will step out
<Junan> isnt that cute
* Ulutse jumps back from Aptan, looking nervous/embarrassed.
* Junan says in a very CALMing way
<Aptan> Hey fuck off!
<Junan> No need to yell
<Junan> (I will use Calm)
<Aptan> !roll 1d20+3
* Daifan rolls for Aptan: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 15 ].
<Aptan> Oh ... hey.
<Aptan> Ahh, my girlfriend and I were just having a little ... I know you!
<Ulutse> who is it?
<Junan> hey I don't blame you
<Aptan> Junan, right?
* Veznara hangs back for now...
<Junan> yeah that righ
* Aptan steps out of the shadows. He is a slender, wiry, dark-skinned young man, perhaps eighteen or so. His long curly dark hair is tied back in a ponytail.
* Ulutse is thin with wavy black hair, and already at her age her face shows some of the signs of her heavy drinking, dark circles under her eyes and a somewhat flushed complexion (although that could also be for other reasons). She appears sober enough right now, however.
<Aptan> I'm sorry, we just ... we didn't expect to be interrupted and definitely not by you.
<Junan> Ulutse, I need a quick chat with Aptan, mind just stepping away and giving us some privacy, will just take a minute, and no listening :)
<Ulutse> Okay...
* Junan will use suggestion
<Junan> (I probably dont even need to but I want to make sure)
<Aptan> Yeah, I mean, give us a second
* Aptan pulls his dashi around him and comes with you.
* Ulutse will step aside but stay within eyesight of you, to make sure there's not anything weird going on.
<Aptan> What is it?
<Junan> The General is coming
<Aptan> Like, now?
<Junan> yes, they're probably less than a mile away
* Aptan 's eyes widen.
<Junan> if she is your girlfriend, might want to find an excuse to be someplace safe for the next little while
<Junan> with her
<Aptan> I'm not sure where that is.
<Aptan> On board ... Yeggun doesn't know we're together. If he did - well, it's complicated. He can be very jealous and vindictive. Here in town ... that's complicated too. I would definitely not be welcome and she might not either.
<Junan> if you want to cut your ties, you can stay with me, but there wont be any going back to Yeggun if you do that.
<Junan> I know Jimba wants to talk to you.
<Aptan> Is he here with you?
<Junan> yes, but not right here.
<Junan> if you wait long enough he will be along
<Aptan> Right, right. Okay. Ahh ... maybe give us some privacy so I can talk to Ulutse about it?
<Junan> she wont go running off will she?
<Aptan> Ahh ... I don't think so.
<Junan> (does he sound convincing?)
<Aptan> (not entirely)
<Junan> If your going to stay, I can help you convince her
<Aptan> I've had enough of this. Liraula and the General can keep their money. I need off this mission. Get me out of here.
<Aptan> Ulutse, this island is all she's ever known.
<Junan> she jumped in with the Yeggun. I got the impression it was to get away from this place.
<AshnabisNarrator> As you're talking, we can say that Jimba and Llillilli make it back to shore.
<Aptan> Yeah, that's true. But it is complicated, like I say.
<Aptan> Look, ah ... you talk to her.
<Junan> ok
* Aptan goes over to Ulutse and brings her back.
<Aptan> This guy here, he's a friend. He and his friends can take us back to Kaskind, so we can be away from all this.
* Daifan rolls their eyes some more
<Jimba> Oh, hey there folks.
<Jimba> Fancy meeting you here.
<Junan> Ah Jimba, I think you wanted to talk with Aptan.
<Jimba> Ah, yes.
<Jimba> Hey.
<Jimba> I have something for you.
<Junan> So Ulutse, what do you say, care to get away from this place?
<Daifan> we should get out of here
* Ulutse looks a bit sullen and wary, but nods, listening to Aptan.
<Ulutse> When I left, I thought my father was the worst person in the world. Then I met Yeggun. Sure, the drinks are free, but this place - there's a shadow on it. I need to go.
<Ulutse> Aptan is kind to me - he cares about *me*, not about who I used to be or who I was supposed to be. So...I want to go wherever he's going.
<Jimba> Well, we can certainly help with that.
<Junan> I agree
<Junan> time to go
<Jimba> Shall we then?
<Aptan> Yes, let's go.
<AshnabisNarrator> Are you making your way back to the lineage house, to regroup/find Kat?
<Daifan> (yes)

They return to the Heptachei lineage house and soon observe the battle


<AshnabisNarrator> You return to the (comparative) safety of the Heptachei lineage house. Sileshu's wife and children are embracing him, looking him over to be sure he's healthy and unharmed, many of them crying tears of relief and joy.
<Katenzhi> What took you guys so long?
* Katenzhi grins.
<Junan> you could have poured us some wine while you waited
<Katenzhi> I did. Then I drank it.
<Jimba> We picked up some stragglers.
<Junan> at least you tried to be helpful
* Shima comes over to you, her eyes overflowing with tears of happiness.
<Shima> Thank you so much. My father returned safely to us... I can never hope to repay such a debt.
<Katenzhi> You're welcome. I'm just glad everything has worked out so far. But it's not over yet.
* Veznara smiles at her happiness
* Veznara nods
<Shima> I received the signal a short time ago that the attack was launched, that they would be engaging the Cormorant Fleet at any moment. The General instructed us to stay in a place of shelter if we can - that if there is fighting in our village, we should keep out of the way.
<Veznara> Yes. Us too, I think.
<Veznara> It shouldn't be too long until it starts... should we go?
<Daifan> if we can, yes
<Sileshu> Thank you again. I'll make sure that anyone who comes here will be safe - if there are any you see who need shelter, let them know they can come to the house of the Heptachei and we will protect them.
* Veznara nods
<Katenzhi> Stay safe. You've kept your family together this long. Just a little longer.
<Veznara> Thank you, Sileshu of the Heptachei. May the Ancestors watch over and protect you and your lineage to see you through this trying time.
<AshnabisNarrator> As you step outside, the sun is just rising, casting a pale golden glow over the village of Pashas.
<AshnabisNarrator> On the air, you can catch the scent of smoke, and you hear some commotion coming from the direction of the docks.
<AshnabisNarrator> Looking in that direction, you realize that the gold and orange glow suffusing the scene is not entirely due to the sunrise - you can see tongues of flame licking the roof of the tavern.
<AshnabisNarrator> Some villagers have emerged from their shelters and are rushing about, trying to get water to extinguish the flames before they can spread to the nearby shipyard or other buildings.
<AshnabisNarrator> Gazing out to sea, you can also make out the signs of a fierce naval battle. The Cormorant Fleet is strong, but only hastily prepared for this attack, and the combined forces of Kaskind and Charadip are a powerful foe.
<AshnabisNarrator> You see one of the pirate ships rammed from the side by a blow from one of the General's ships, its hull shattered by the force of the impact, sinking rapidly.
<AshnabisNarrator> A volley of flaming arrows is fired from one of the Cormorant ships, but is turned back by what seems like an invisible wall, falling harmlessly into the ocean - no doubt the mystics using their skills to provide protection.
<AshnabisNarrator> One pirate ship seems to try to turn but the wind is against it, and it cannot move swiftly enough to avoid being overtaken and boarded. From this distance you can only imagine the hand-to-hand fighting that must be taking place on the deck.
<AshnabisNarrator> You're able to assist somewhat with people fleeing from the fire, or with putting out the fire, and with rounding up any pirates who didn't actually make it on board their ships in time.
<AshnabisNarrator> Eventually you see Yeggun's flagship, the Cormorant itself, in the heat of the battle, begin to turn and break away, perhaps sensing that this is not a victory he will win and that it's better to escape and live to fight another day.
<AshnabisNarrator> Then, out of the dark seas to the northeast of the island, you see a churning of the water. Heads emerge, then torsos, then the bodies of tens, perhaps even a hundred or more hith, heavily armed and armored, lithus and steel glinting in the sun.
<AshnabisNarrator> Emerging at the rear of the company is a short but bulky hith with red and mottled green scales. You recognize them - it is Fifelus, war captain of King Whuthe.
* Aptan is now known as Fifelus
<AshnabisNarrator> The hith spread out quickly into the town, showing a deft familiarity with its streets and buildings. It occurs to you that many of them must have spent considerable time here. From a distance you hear the scream of a human man - hopefully a straggler of the pirates.

The hith arrive and Fifelus speaks to them


* Fifelus emerges out of the water, the dawn sun glinting against his lithus breastplate.
<Llillilli> :D
* Fifelus directs their troops who spread out through the town.
* Fifelus finally sees you.
* Fifelus seems baffled and honestly shocked to see you here.
* Fifelus runs over towards you (especially Llillilli?)
<Fifelus> By sun and skies, what is this? This place is very dangerous, selleluf. You should not be here.
* Fifelus says in Hithaeli
<Jimba> <H> That's why we're here, sir. To try to keep people safe.
<Fifelus> That is not your place.
* Daifan does not speak Hithaeli but will try and catch the tone of the conversation from Llillilli and Jimba's body language, at least
<Fifelus> Beloved friend Llillilli, why are you here?
<Llillilli> <h> to help, as Jimba says
<Fifelus> To help whom?
<Llillilli> Liwhis' family.
<Llillilli> The humans who were left behind. The hatchlings.
<Fifelus> That is ... very brave of you, befitting your station. But ...
* Fifelus waves his hand at your friends.
<Fifelus> This will not do.
<Llillilli> <h> Why not?
<Fifelus> They are of Kaskind, and will be viewed as such.
<Fifelus> We are here to assert our sovereign right to protect Pfaeshes and all its people, who are subjects of the Kingdom of Sulise.
<Fifelus> It is clear that this place is valued by many among your people. And the King has judged that they must protect this treasure from those who would despoil it.
<Llillilli> <h> which is kaskind I'm guessing
<Llillilli> ¬_¬
<Fifelus> The Fort, the mystics ... I don't think anyone is greatly inclined to inquire. You ... you alone might be safe here. But *they
* would surely not be.
<Fifelus> You must go. As outsiders to this place - it would not be seemly.
<Llillilli> I find I no longer care about what is seemly.
<Fifelus> You have served this place well, beloved selleluf. We know your love for the People.
<Llillilli> We came to help, when no one else would.
<Llillilli> Unseemly. I cannot believe this.
<Katenzhi> Llillilli.... what's going on?
* Llillilli stalks off toward the boar
<Fifelus> Yes, I see that. You have done more than anyone could ask. But now this is Sulise, and your friends are not safe here. We will protect the People and the humans both. Surrender your watch to us, O selleluf, and we will take it up.
<Llillilli> (boat)
* Llillilli is like, shaking with rage
<Fifelus> Twin of the sun, I do not understand.
* Fifelus addresses Jimba.

Sileshu intervenes and the group departs


* Sileshu emerges from the lineage house, hearing all this conversation in Hithaeli going on.
<Fifelus> Ah, brother Sileshu!
<Sileshu> Brother, you have returned!
* Fifelus embraces you.
<Fifelus> We heard you were held captive.
* Sileshu comes and gives him a hug as well.
<Jimba> <h> It's fine. We relinquish our watch, I suppose.
<Jimba> <h> We'll just...we'll just go.
<Sileshu> Yes. These people rescued me. I owe them a great debt of gratitude.
* Daifan will follow after Llillilli
<Daifan> ...what was that? are you okay?
<Veznara> Jimba, what's going on? The Hith are taking over here?
<Fifelus> Llillilli, she is great among us. But these others - they are at grave danger.
<Llillilli> They want us to leave because Pfaeshes belongs to the Hith. It's a bloody pissing match.
<Jimba> Sileshu, I wish you and your family well. I hope we will see each other again in more peaceful times.
<Sileshu> I understand. But without them, I would have been among the dead, and perhaps my family as well. They have my thanks, even if it's no longer safe to stay here right now.
* Sileshu nods to you
<Fifelus> The King's hand is forced. We are taking this place for Sulise, asserting our right to protect our lands.
<Daifan> but we were going to leave anyway, weren't we? And it does belong to them.
<Llillilli> Nobody cares about the people here, only the fucking resources, the location...!
<Jimba> Come on, folks. We should head out.
<Sileshu> Safe travels, my friends.
* Junan nods
* Jimba nods to him and Fifelus.
* Jimba heads out.
<Daifan> ahhh...
* Veznara is still for a moment, but follows back to the ship
<Fifelus> Go with our thanks. We will carry on your guardianship here.
<Llillilli> THe people abandoned Pfaeshes as much as the humans did! Hatchlings were left alone, orphans! With humans scrambling to try and take care of them!
* Jimba will catch up with Llillilli and Daifan.
* Katenzhi will follow the rest somewhat unsure of what else to do.
<Daifan> But they are of the people too, aen;t they? Like you are?
<Llillilli> We came to help the people of Pfaeshes! We rescued Liwhis and brought him home! Sileshu! We brought supplies and food! And it's unseemly??!
<Llillilli> I am finished, finished!
<Jimba> Well, Llillilli would have been welcome there.
<Daifan> I'm sorry.
<Jimba> But the rest of us aren't of the People.
<Veznara> I... what of the fleet out there? Did the Hith inform them of this?
<Jimba> I imagine they'll be doing that shortly.
<Katenzhi> So ummm... did we win? I kinda feel like we didn't...
<Llillilli> It's all garbage and they can take their sun finger and stuck it up where the sun does not shine!!
* Llillilli storms onto the boat and disappears below decks
<Veznara> But how will the General take this news?
<Jimba> Though it does seem like they let the humans take each other out before moving back in.
<Jimba> We'll have to see.
<Jimba> The Hith have a significant advantage in any conflict.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.
<Veznara> They do. I hope the General realizes that... oh, surely she must. :/
<Veznara> Is this why Charadip encouraged the initial attack?
<Daifan> I do not thin the general discounted the Hith...
* Daifan looks to Junan.
<Junan> no... not in the slightest.
<Daifan> Do you knwo what they inteded after Yeggun was driven off?
<Daifan> (are we all on the ship now?)
<Veznara> (I assume so)
<Junan> (I assume so)
<AshnabisGM> (seems so? are you taking Aptan and Ulutse with you?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (yes, presumably also Aptan and Ulutse?)
<Daifan> (yes)
<Junan> (yes)
* Katenzhi will get us under way again and try not to think about the politics.
<Veznara> To increase Kaskind's presence here, I'm sure.
<Veznara> That's why the General was willing to let us try for Sileshu, after all.
<Daifan> Junan was t the negotiations, that is why I am asking him
<Junan> the negotiations centered around capturing Yeggun
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> Mmmm. So nothing about the disposition of Ruur afterward? Surely that must have come up...
<Daifan> Charadip never had any claim here
<Junan> there was much surprise in the dicussions that Charadip agreed to help remove Yeggun
<Junan> but that was it really
<Daifan> hmm.
<Veznara> And perhaps this was why - they anticipated that the Hith would insist on taking over.
<Junan> I'm sure both sides had plans to gain favour with the locals
<Veznara> Especially after the slaughter of their children.
<Veznara> Perhaps Charadip only wanted to create this situation, though.
<Daifan> that is a lot of conjecture, hand Veznara
<Veznara> To have a large Hith military force parked between them and Kaskind.
<Veznara> Oh, of course it's conjecture.
<Junan> No I cant see that
<Daifan> I do not see the benefit to them of that
<Jimba> It's not really between them.
<Jimba> And I can't see how a Hith show of force helps them.
<Jimba> Though I suppose it prevents Kaskind from extending its reach to Ruur.
<Veznara> Yes.
<Veznara> And I think that was something the General had very much in mind.
<Veznara> If she persists in that, it will now create conflict with the Hith.
<Junan> its not like Kaskind's interest were greater than maybe a watchtower to help with defense against those very pirates
* Veznara chuckles
<Veznara> Weren't they, though? I'm not sure the General will see it quite that way.
<Veznara> But perhaps we'll have a chance to find out when we report.