Difference between revisions of "Ashnabis session 14"

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Solos)
(Katenzhi drinks at the bar while Jimba works on getting the boat repaired)
 
Line 60: Line 60:
 
<br>* Huluthe is thin, with blue-green coloration and gold eyes.
 
<br>* Huluthe is thin, with blue-green coloration and gold eyes.
 
<br><Huluthe> You seem to have a serious problem.
 
<br><Huluthe> You seem to have a serious problem.
<br><Llillilli> <br><h> So it would seem
+
<br><Llillilli> <h> So it would seem
 
<br><Jimba> You're not wrong.
 
<br><Jimba> You're not wrong.
 
<br><Huluthe> I am Huluthe the shipwright.   
 
<br><Huluthe> I am Huluthe the shipwright.   
<br><Jimba> <br><h> I don't suppose you saw what happened, by chance.
+
<br><Jimba> <h> I don't suppose you saw what happened, by chance.
 
<br><Jimba> Nice to meet you, Huluthe. I'm Jimba. This is my sister Llillilli.
 
<br><Jimba> Nice to meet you, Huluthe. I'm Jimba. This is my sister Llillilli.
 
<br><Huluthe> It is pleasant to find those who speak our language.  My greetings to you, Jimba, and sister Llillilli.
 
<br><Huluthe> It is pleasant to find those who speak our language.  My greetings to you, Jimba, and sister Llillilli.

Latest revision as of 17:40, 7 September 2019

Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 14 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: July 7, 2019
Fair Cycle date:

Prologue


<AshnabisNarrator> For the past several days you have been on the island of Ruur, several miles off the coast from Kaskind in Nimneha Bay. Your task: to scout the coast for a suitable location for a watchtower for the defense of the Kaskind colony.
<AshnabisNarrator> https://open.spotify.com/track/44gsZmDzvYRggU9ItPlMRB?si=pk1xbZRSReurWUEGbFDuow
<AshnabisNarrator> Despite your reservations you set sail on the keelboat, minus Veznara who has some sort of responsibilities at the Temple of the Hand, but with the addition of Nend Zelbai, a military engineer and sentinel employed by the Fort.
<AshnabisNarrator> You first arrived at the fishing and whaling community of Pashas, where hith and human have lived together in a sort of shared culture for generations. Here, ancient Ashnabi lineages such as the Heptachei and Chetsu coexist with the folk of the shimmering sun.
<AshnabisNarrator> Upon your arrival you found yourself in the midst of the Nemmotam festival, a celebration of the fostering of hith youth here in Pashas and human youth in the hith kingdom of Sulise. Every several years, as friends depart and families are reunited, the community gathers in thanks.
<AshnabisNarrator> The next day you departed for your survey, traveling east and south along the coast and finding at least one suitable locale for the General's needs. Along the way you found an area of coast where a Khutuan merchant ship had recently wrecked, and saved two local children and their dog from a bloodthirsty sea mammal, a bunyip.
<AshnabisNarrator> After returning them to their parents' rural cabin, and after being healed by their father and treated to a fine rustic meal, you traveled back to Pashas in anticipation of the return voyage home.
<AshnabisNarrator> Unfortunately, your departure has been delayed by an apparent act of sabotage: a large hole has appeared mysteriously in the bottom of the hull of the keelboat, large enough to take on significant water and require a significant repair. So for now, in Pashas you will remain ...

Katenzhi drinks at the bar while Jimba works on getting the boat repaired


<AshnabisNarrator> How would you like to proceed?
<Katenzhi> (To a bar)
<Jimba> (Presumably, Jimba would try to find materials for repairing the boat.)
<Katenzhi> (So I can drink half of it)
<Katenzhi> (Unless Jimba restrains me)
<AshnabisNarrator> All right, there's only one bar / tavern in town, the Floating Otter. That's where Junan has been holed up recuperating.
<Jimba> (Just know you're going to have to help me with this when I do find stuff.)
<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, you go in and order a drink from the barkeep.
* Barkeep is middle-aged, perhaps once physically fit but now weakened by time, with a short fringe of gray hair around a mostly bald pate. He wears a dyed green dashi under a stained white apron.
* Daifan knows shit all about repairing boats, so will probaly be at the tavern, though in the evening after talking to Junan probablyb hiding up in their room >.>
<Barkeep> So, what'll it be?
<Katenzhi> <mumbling to herself> ...fucking swear to the ancestors... who the fucks messes with someone's boat?
<Katenzhi> Uh... whatever you got.
* Barkeep pours you an ale.
<Barkeep> Boat trouble?
* Katenzhi knocks back the ale in one go and pushes the mug back for another.
<Katenzhi> You could say that.
<Katenzhi> Someone put a hole in it.
<Barkeep> Someone carved a hole in the bottom of your fancy colonial ship, did they? Too bad.
* Barkeep wipes the bar with a damp cloth, and passes you another ale.
<Barkeep> Maybe you shouldn't have been here in the first place.
* Katenzhi scowls.
<Katenzhi> Like I want to fucking be here. And it's no damned colonial ship, it's my fucking house.
<Llillilli> (I'll just hang out by the dock, make sure nobody else fucks with the boat I guess)
<Barkeep> Maybe you should have left your friend on it then, to keep an eye on things, instead of here, in my bar.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, we should have. Then we'd have been out of your hair by now. But for someone who doesn't seem to like us being here, you take our coin readily enough.
<Barkeep> Speaking of which, I don't run a tab for strangers.
<Barkeep> That'll be one tusk so far.
* Katenzhi pulls out /me pulls some coins out of her belt pocket.
<Katenzhi> Here's five. Give me a bottle of something and let me get drunk in peace.
* Barkeep passes you a bottle, then.
<Barkeep> Let no one say the colonial government is uncharitable.
* Barkeep remarks dryly.
* Barkeep lets you get drunk in peace, then.
* Katenzhi sulks.
<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba, you can go talk to folks at the docks / see what can be done. Llillilli you also can be there.
<AshnabisNarrator> As you would expect when something like this happens, there is a crowd of local gawkers / observers hanging around to see what's going on. Not too much happens in a small place like this, after all.
<Jimba> I, uh, don't suppose anyone knows where I might get some lumber for repairs?
<AshnabisNarrator> A slender hith comes up beside you and speaks to you in whispered but fluent Aummesh.
* Huluthe is thin, with blue-green coloration and gold eyes.
<Huluthe> You seem to have a serious problem.
<Llillilli> <h> So it would seem
<Jimba> You're not wrong.
<Huluthe> I am Huluthe the shipwright.
<Jimba> <h> I don't suppose you saw what happened, by chance.
<Jimba> Nice to meet you, Huluthe. I'm Jimba. This is my sister Llillilli.
<Huluthe> It is pleasant to find those who speak our language. My greetings to you, Jimba, and sister Llillilli.
* Huluthe sticks to Aummesh though.
<Huluthe> We will need to drag her ashore to assess the damage.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Lot of trouble to go to.
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> I just don't understand why someone would do this.
<Huluthe> It is a mystery. But we will assist.
<Llillilli> (sense motive.... not that I have much of a chance)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 12 ].
<Llillilli> (nooope)
<AshnabisNarrator> (no idea)
<Jimba> (Can I give it a shot? I'm even worse, though...)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, good luck with that)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20-1
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20-1 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -1 ] totals [ 6 ].
<Jimba> (Hee)
<Jimba> Well, I appreciate the help.
* Huluthe goes over to a couple of local youths, human and hith, and speaks a few words to them.
<Huluthe> We will see what is the matter.
<Jimba> (Have we not already done so?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, well, there is a hole, you know that, but you don't know if the hith knows that)
<AshnabisNarrator> It takes some time and effort, but with the help of the locals you get the boat away from the docks and pulled ashore onto the rocky beach at the islan's north tip, where other small boats and parts are already strewn.
<AshnabisNarrator> You can now see the hole more clearly. It is well below the waterline, and clearly intentionally hacked or cut with a hatchet or similar tool, on the port side, towards the stern.
<Huluthe> That is ... not good.
<Jimba> Hmm?
<Jimba> Yeah, I'd say so.
<Jimba> Well, nothing for it but to patch it, I guess.
* Llillilli sighs.
<Huluthe> A patch would be simplest, yes. Normally when I do such patches, I use a mix of sawdust and lithus. Lightweight, watertight, perhaps not the prettiest but it will do. It is a big hole ... so it will take some time to prepare and to set.
<Huluthe> Replacing all the damaged planks entirely would be another option, but that is perhaps something to be done when you return to Kaskind?
* Jimba looks at Llillilli.
<Jimba> I don't know a ton about lithus work, but that sounds all right?
<Huluthe> I will have my people get to work in the morning then, yes?
<Llillilli> Thank you.
<Jimba> Yes, that sounds good, thanks.
<Jimba> In the meantime, I'll grab some supplies and camp here with Washteppo and the pups.

Soba asks the group to come to the lineage house to discuss the matter


<AshnabisNarrator> As you are discussing with Huluthe, a woman, Soba Rugul, who you met at the Nemmotam, comes up to you.
* Huluthe is now known as Soba
* Soba is an older woman, rather darker in complexion than most of these people, short and quite thin, with wavy grey hair. She wears a white dashi embroidered at the fringes with green stitching, bound at the waist with the unmistakable sash of a sentinel, and through which she carries a sword.
<Soba> Pardon my interruption, I came as soon as I heard.
* Jimba smiles wearily.
* Soba says in Aummesh.
<Jimba> Nice to see you again, though the circumstances are less than ideal.
<Soba> Indeed.
<Jimba> We were just discussing the repairs.
<Soba> On behalf of my husband, I have come to invite you to speak to him, despite the late hour. He is very upset, naturally.
* Jimba looks at Llillilli again.
<Jimba> I feel like we should have at least one person stay with the boat...
<Jimba> And Thelef did say you should speak to Silesh if you get a chance.
* Nend walks over to see what's going on.
<Nend> Is there anything I can do to help?
<Soba> Ah, good evening.
* Soba switches to Ombesh.
<Jimba> (switching as well, of course) Actually, yeah, if you don't mind.
<Soba> On behalf of the ancestors of the Heptachei, my husband Sileshu invites you and your party to an audience with him at the lineage house.
<Jimba> (Is there a standard response to that? It sounds formal.)
<Soba> (not really? or not that you know, anyway)
<Llillilli> Should we get the others from the inn?
* Llillilli asks Soba
<Soba> I think that would be ideal.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> Alright.
<Jimba> Soba, I don't want to be rude and turn down an invitation, but I'm also concerned about leaving my boat unwatched, considering the circumstances.
<Llillilli> Nend could watch it.
* Nend nods
<Nend> I can keep an eye on things here.
* Jimba still looks conflicted, but nods.
<Jimba> I'd really appreciate it.
<Soba> I will stress to you that any further action taken against your group will be treated very gravely. This is not how we treat guests in Pashas.
* Jimba nods.
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, so who all is going / are you collecting?)
<Jimba> (To Nend) 'Teppo can pretty much mind herself, and the dogs will be fine if I tell them to stay.
<Nend> All right.
<Jimba> (I figure we'll swing by the inn and get everyone who wants to come along?)
* Junan will go
<AshnabisNarrator> (Katenzhi? Daifan?)
* Katenzhi can probably be pried away if she's allowed to keep the bottle.
<Daifan> (I'm not supposed to go into people's houses so... I'm not sure :p)
<AshnabisNarrator> (it's your bottle, but you are definitely drunk at this point!)
<Daifan> ...I can stay here and watch our things at the inn.
* Daifan will counter whoever is making this offer :p
<AshnabisNarrator> You head through the town, led by Soba. It's late, but apparently everyone in town has already heard of your misfortune and several people are outside their homes, staring at you as you walk by.
* Katenzhi tries to stare back but probably can't keep her eyes that straight.
<Soba> I don't know when this happened, but it was surely daylight.
<Jimba> (quietly to Katenzhi) Scale of one to ten, how drunk are you?
<Llillilli> Yes, definitely.
* Llillilli agrees.
<Katenzhi> Pffff...
<Katenzhi> Like... 1
* Jimba narrows his eyes, but nods.
<Jimba> (q) Maybe just try to keep quiet and nod.

They go to the Heptachei lineage house and talk with the elder, Sileshu


<AshnabisNarrator> The Heptachei lineage house is a great building at the far south end of the community. It is an astonishing construction of stone, whalebone, lithus, and wood, clearly over a hundred years old.
<AshnabisNarrator> At the front a great arched whalebone rib forms the entrance to the main longhouse, while two wings of the building extend to either side, seemingly for residences. It is perhaps not as large or majestic as the large lineage houses of Timiil, but it is deeply impressive and strange nonetheless.
<Jimba> What a lovely home.
<Katenzhi> Nice.
<AshnabisNarrator> Soba leads you into the great hall, where you can see more whalebone ribs used to construct the great vaulted roof. There can only be so many of those things, but they seem to all be used in this building.
<AshnabisNarrator> At the far end of the room is a large oval table, where a middle-aged man is sitting. Some of you may have seen him at the Nemmotam, and you suppose that he is surely Sileshu Heptachei, the lineage elder. He is flanked by two hith.
* Nend is now known as Huthishu
* Soba is now known as Sileshu
* Sileshu is a man in his 60s, balding and grey-haired but still spry. He wears a brown dashi, and a cloak trimmed with seal fur, pinned at the neck with a lithus brooch. About his neck is the iftijasi, the lineage stone that denotes his status as a lineage elder.
* Huthishu is a rotund hith, with a large crest that rises from the back of their head. They are a striking royal blue shade, and wear the copper disc of a solar.
<Sileshu> Good evening. I am Sileshu of the Heptachei. Welcome to our home.
<Jimba> Good evening, and thank you for your hospitality. I am Jimba of the Ghughife.
<Sileshu> You have met my wife Soba of the Rugul. These are Huthishu and Lileshi, the religious and political leaders of the People here.
<AshnabisNarrator> (Llillilli, you will note that Sileshu is a Hithaeli name, but he pronounces it Aummesh-style, perhaps for the guests)
<Jimba>
<h> Greetings to you, honored ones.
* Huthishu nods politely
<Llillilli>
<h> I am Llillilli. Thelef had said I should speak to you, but I'd hoped it would be under different circumstances.
<Sileshu>
<h> Greetings, sister Llillilli, to this house.
<Sileshu> But my apologies, for the greater comprehension of all I will speak in our common tongue.
<Sileshu> Allow me to express our regret for what has happened. Regardless of one's feelings about the occupation, the Hoggep lineage has done nothing to us.
<Sileshu> And please I hope you will accept our invitation for you, and the rest of your group, to rest here this evening in the lineage house, with my guarantee that no further ill shall befall you.
<Jimba> That's very kind of you.
<Llillilli> One of our party, Daifan, was concerned that she would not be welcome here
<Sileshu> For what reason?
<Llillilli> She's corpseborn
<Sileshu> Ah, I had not been apprised. I will defer to her preference, but we do not have corpseborn here in Pashas and so that situation does not often arise.
<Sileshu> I will not say that no one cares, but attitudes here on the island are different than on the mainland.
<Jimba> We can let her know.
<Sileshu> And then we should discuss what is to happen tomorrow.
<Sileshu> Have you made arrangements to have your ship repaired?
<Jimba> We have. We spoke to Huluthe about patching the ship.
<Sileshu> They are excellent, I think you will find. Please allow me to cover any costs incurred.
<Jimba> That's very generous, but hardly necessary.
<Sileshu> I insist.
* Jimba nods, conceding.
<Junan> You have some sense of who was responsible for the damage?
<Sileshu> I do not. But rest assured that we are resolved to determine this.
<Jimba> Your attention on this matter is most appreciated.
<Sileshu> My aunt, Yuta, is the reckoner for the island. She is asleep now, but in the morning I will ensure that she is aware of this.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Thank you.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, that's... really nice of you.
<Huthishu> The damage was beneath the water level, and no one was seen going into the water near there, as far as we know. It suggests either that it was one of my people, or one of the huwhi, may be responsible.
* Huthishu says carefully.
* Llillilli nods.
<Huthishu> I will speak with my people and see what they report.
* Llillilli had thought of that but didn't want to say it...
<Jimba>
<h> Thank you.
<Junan> The whole thing feels rash or ill thought out... I mean if someone wanted us to leave, holing our boat is just delaying it.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I thought the same thing.
<Sileshu> I agree. There are many here who have no love for the Fort but this is an odd way to show it.
<Junan> I do play a good tune. If they wanted me to stick around for another day, they just had to ask.
* Jimba smiles and rolls his eyes.
<Llillilli> I heard your performance here had less to do with singing
* Llillilli says drily
* Jimba stifles a chuckle at that.
<Junan> It's not my fault I'm multi-talented
* Sileshu looks at you, not following something clearly.
<Sileshu> Well.
<Sileshu> If there are any other matters to discuss?
<Llillilli> nothing that cannot wait until tomorrow.
<Sileshu> Very well, then. Please convey my regrets to the rest of your group.
<Jimba> Of course. Thank you again.
<Jimba> (I guess we'll see ourselves out?)
<AshnabisNarrator> All right, those of you who wish to may move your belongings into rooms of the east wing of the Heptachei lineage house. Or you can stay next to the boat in tents, or get a room at the Floating Otter.
<Llillilli> (I'll stay at the LH)
* Katenzhi is staying by the boat if given the choice.
<Jimba> (Camping by the boat)
<Jimba> (Cuddle up with my dogs and hippo)
<Huthishu> (aw :3)
<Daifan> (if no one else is stayig at the inn I'll go to the LH I guess?)
* Daifan is not super up for improvised camping >.>
<Junan> (LH for me... need to be respectful)
* Huthishu is now known as Nend
* Nend will also stay at the lineage house, as long as other people are now watching the boat
<AshnabisNarrator> All right, you pass an uneventful evening in Pashas, either in the lineage house or by the boat.
* Daifan will just try and be relatively inconspiculous and stay out of the way

The following morning, Nend lets them know what Soba told her


<AshnabisNarrator> In the morning you gather again near the boat, after breakfast, with Nend.
<Nend> Soba took me aside last night to talk about what was going on here...
* Nend says with a look of concern
<Daifan> what did she say?
* Jimba raises an eyebrow.
<Nend> Basically that everyone in the Heptachei lineage is upset about what happened - worried about what it looks like, or what the repercussions might be.
<Nend> They're trying to smooth things over so we'll leave as quickly as possible and not cause any further issues.
<Katenzhi> I bet.
* Katenzhi rubs her forehead.
<Jimba> Well, we were trying to leave.
<Daifan> mmhmm, of course
<Nend> So... we could do that. But I still will have to tell my superiors what happened.
<Jimba> Okay?
<Nend> I can try to put a good spin on it - just a few isolated malcontents, nothing serious that they need to worry about.
<Daifan> ...are you suggesting we should cause further issues?
<Nend> No... I'm trying to figure out what I ought to say about this when we get back.
<Daifan> ahh.
<Llillilli> Say that they don't want us here.
<Llillilli> But I'm sure your bosses already know that
<Katenzhi> I'm sure they know that much already.
<Jimba> Yeah, seems pretty straightforward.
<Daifan> you could say thatv theyb will make it difficult for their agents here, and that it will create even more tensions with the local populations.
<Nend> Is that true, though? I mean - some people might not want us here, but others, like the seafarers, might benefit from having a watchtower nearby.
<Katenzhi> Just because they benefit, doesn't mean they want us here.
* Jimba gives Nend a look to convey a sarcastic "Obviously!"
<Jimba> Your people knew this wasn't going to go over well with the locals. They have to suck it up and deal with it if they want to move forward.
<Daifan> mmhmm
<Nend> If I say that the population is unfriendly, or isn't going to welcome us here, that might just mean they come with more force and arms. Making it into less of a problem means less disruption for the locals, if the tower is being built either way. It might be a question of whether they send half a dozen Sentinels to watch one tower, or send a lot more to defend against potential threats.
* Daifan sighs
<Jimba> The tower is kind of useless for defense if it itself is constantly under threat.
<Junan> or we can wait and see if they find out who is responsible... it could be just a drunk angry local and we're making more of this than it is.
<Jimba> Maybe try to deal with the locals more directly, instead of just barging in and building a tower.
<Jimba> Convince them it's beneficial.
<Jimba> Which it can be, if it's handled properly.
<Nend> It's not really up to me.... I'm just an engineer. I can tell them that, but they might not listen.
* Jimba sighs.
<Nend> I'll try.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> That's all you can do.
<Daifan> then maybe Junan is right, and we shoudl stay and see what we can find out here, and if we can deal with people here...
<Nend> But if we can find out if this really is just a few disaffected angry locals, or whether this is a bigger problem, it would be good to know.
* Daifan nods to her
* Jimba hangs his head for a moment.
<Katenzhi> Well, some of the locals seem pretty happy about it either way.
<Jimba> Fine. So, is there something we can do to find out, or just wait for the locals to sort it out?

Yuta, the reckoner, approaches the group to inquire for more information about who might have damaged the boat


<AshnabisNarrator> As you continue your discussion, an elderly woman approaches you from the south.
* Sileshu is now known as Yuta
* Jimba manages a practiced smile.
<Jimba>
<a> Morning, ma'am.
* Yuta is an elderly woman, perhaps past seventy, with short-cropped grey hair, nearly entirely to the scalp. She is wearing a flowing blue dashi.
<Yuta> Good morning to you. I am Yuta of the Heptachei, speaker of the laws and customs of the island of Ruur.
<Llillilli> Morning
<Jimba> Ah, greetings. I'm Jimba of the Ghughife.
* Daifan nods in greeting
<Yuta> My nephew tells me you've had a problem with your boat.
<Llillilli> Well, someone did
<Yuta> Mmm, yes, that's one way to put it.
<Yuta> You are Llillilli?
* Llillilli nods.
<Yuta> You are right to be angry. Whoever did this, they will be found and punished.
<Llillilli> Do you have any ideas as to who it might be?
<Yuta> I have just a few questions for all of you.
<Jimba> We'll answer what we can.
<Yuta> When you arrived here, it was the Nemmotam, yes? Who did you talk to that day?
<Llillilli> (aaaargh, npc names, my biggest weakness!!)
<AshnabisNarrator> (http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Ashnabis_session_12 if you need it)
* Llillilli thinks.
<Llillilli> Emme, of the Chetsu, we spoke to first I think
<Katenzhi> There was one girl who was really angry at us... Utse or something...
<Llillilli> Tseiru's sister
<Llillilli> and their father
<Jimba> Your friend Whellae, we talked to her.
* Daifan nods
<Llillilli> and Soba of course.
<Llillilli> People who run the inn I assume
* Jimba nods.
* Daifan nods
<Yuta> Hmm, all right. And your job here, your task, who did you talk to about that?
<Llillilli> Soba
<Yuta> Hmm, only her?
<Llillilli> and Whellae... but she wouldn't have done anything.
* Llillilli adds quickly.
<Daifan> it was in public, though
<Daifan> at the festival
<Llillilli> She is my friend. I've visited her here many times.
<Llillilli> We could have been overheard in either instance, it's true.
<Yuta> Well, this is Pashas. Nothing stays secret at all. But I will ask Soba.
<Katenzhi> I bet that asshole innkeeper's the one who did it. To make us stay longer at his shitty inn and get more money.
<Daifan> ...I am not convinced of that -_-
<Yuta> Tiluntom? He does dislike you, I'm sure.
* Daifan nods
<Yuta> But that seems ... improbable. But I will talk to him, in case perhaps he said something to any of his customers, or overheard something.
<Yuta> You said that Ulutse of the Meglaar was angry with you?
<Daifan> yes....
<Llillilli> Hard to say whether 'with us' or just 'angry'
<Katenzhi> I mean, a lot of people probabl;y were, but she's the one that said something.
<Yuta> Hmm, it has been a hard year for her. But still ...
<Daifan> I am not cetain, from what we saw of her, that it is somethign she would have been capable of
<Yuta> I think you will find that most people here are not angry with your presence. Suspicious, surely. Wary, of course. But this is not the act of a suspicious person, I think.
* Jimba nods.
* Daifan nods, thinking of what Whellae said
<Yuta> All right. Do you have anything else to add?
<Daifan> I don't think so...
<Yuta> All right. Thank you for your time.
* Llillilli shakes her head tiredly
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, after she leaves, you guys are free to talk to anyone you want, or just to hang out in town while repairs are being done.
<Daifan> If you can please let us know if you discover anything...
<Daifan> hmm.
<Daifan> I don't know if it is worth making our own investigations...
<AshnabisNarrator> (ok, so just let me know your plans for the day - just whatever you want to be doing)
* Katenzhi will be helping with/supervising the repairs.
* Daifan will shift about in town trying to stay out of people's way and see if there is anything interesting to observe there I guess :p
* Jimba will also be helping/supervising repairs.
<Llillilli> (I should talk to the heptachei lineage guy but I'm so fried I don't know what to ask him :x)
<Daifan> (But if I see any of the people who came back, or are going, and they're not obviously super busy, I might try and talk to them >..)

Daifan has an odd conversation with Liwhis and Silloeth


<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, you are hanging around and you see Liwhis, the newly returned grandson of the lineage elder, hanging out by the docks, talking to Silloeth, the hith youth finishing their fosterage here, laughing.
* Daifan will wander down towards where they are hanging out, then
<Daifan> (what language are they talking?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (Hithaeli)
* Liwhis is a tall, handsome, strapping young man of about 20, with short black hair that falls in a wave over his forehead. He is dressed in a brown dashi with a white overshirt, and wears a long knife on a belt around his waist.
* Silloeth is a young, strongly built hith, with green skin bearing a pattern of darker green spots across their shoulders and arms. They carry a pair of pfethes strapped to their back.
* Liwhis laughs more in the breathy way that one laughs in Hithaeli, as you approach, and makes some remark.
<Daifan> ...
<Daifan> (like, about me, or just in general?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (hard to say)
<AshnabisNarrator> (they're not pointing at you or anything)
<Daifan> (can I SM? >.>)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 26 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (they're not not laughing at you ...)
<AshnabisNarrator> (although what specifically, you don't have any idea)
* Daifan smiles to cover their nerves.
<Daifan> Ahh. Please excuse me, I don't mean to intrude.
<Liwhis> Where are you from?
<Daifan> How do you mean? I came here from Kaskind...
<Liwhis> No but where are you from, really?
<Daifan> From Daligash.
<Liwhis> Is that how people dress in Daligash these days?
<Daifan> Probably not, the fashions change quickly.
* Silloeth says something in Hithaeli, to Liwhis
* Daifan eyes him
<Liwhis> Hmm.
<Liwhis> What's your job?
<Daifan> I'm a land surveyor.
<Daifan> You just came back form the Hith court, didn't you?
<Liwhis> I was at Sulise, that's right. My friend Silloeth here was born there, but he's been living here.
* Daifan nods
<Liwhis> Your friend is a hithkindred, right?
<Daifan> Yes, we came the day of the ceremony... I believe it was your mother who welcomed us here.
<Daifan> Yes, Llillilli.
<Daifan> She was very interested to learn about the custom.
<Liwhis> Well I'd be happy to teach her more about it.
<Daifan> I will let her know, I'm sure she woudl be grateful.
<Daifan> Did you have much preparation before you went?
<Liwhis> Well, my grandfather was fostered, and lots of other people around here.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I heard that the girl who is being sent wasn't the original choice.... she looked scared.
<Liwhis> Oh ... yeah.
<Liwhis> I don't know her, you know, she was just a kid when I left.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I wasn't sure if there was any kind of... hmm, mentorship?
<Liwhis> Nothing can prepare you, really, for the shimmering sun.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Were you excited, when you went?
<Liwhis> Sure. It's a great honour.
* Daifan nods
* Daifan looks at Silloeth
<Daifan> What about being sent here?
<Silloeth> It was a big change - but good experience.
* Daifan nods
<Silloeth> It's important to build ties. Now we are like family here.
<Daifan> its a fascinating custom...
<Daifan> I can see its value
<Liwhis> You would be wise to learn that this is a different place.
<Liwhis> Pashas is not like Kaskind or even like Timiil.
<Daifan> That is very clear... do you think it is only this relationship with Sulise that makes it so?
<Liwhis> In the thinking of the king, Sulise includes Pashas ... and maybe even includes Kaskind.
<Liwhis> You are standing on royal land, in fact.
<Daifan> I see... does that include thw whole island?
* Liwhis nods.
<Daifan> So this is all Hith domain?
<Liwhis> Yes, in a sense.
<Daifan> what does that mean, then, for Kaskind?
<Liwhis> I don't know.
<Daifan> mmm... fair enough.
<Silloeth> They should remember they stand on a small piece of land, far from their home. Our home - our people - surround them.
<Daifan> relations hve been peaceful so far, I'd thought... do you think that could change?
<Liwhis> It's important for you to know your place.
* Liwhis shrugs.
<Daifan> ...and what is that?
<Liwhis> Don't ask me, I'm not the king.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> but what do you thinkn, as someone who has spent so much time there recently?
<Liwhis> I think that the Ombans should be very afraid.
<Silloeth> For now, King Whuthe believes peace is in our people's best interest. But much can change quickly.
* Daifan nods
<Liwhis> Good luck with your boat repairs.
<Daifan> Mmhmmm. Thank you.
<Daifan> (Can I sm as I extricate from this? >.>)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 19 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (you definitely think there was more going on there, but what it was, you don't know)
<Daifan> (Oh I have some suspicions >.>)
* Daifan will wish them good day and gtfo

Daifan lets Llillilli know of this strange conversation


* Daifan will wander back towards either the repair docks or the lineage house, wherever they are more likely to find Llillilli
<Llillilli> (LH)
* Daifan will drift over to wherever you are, anyway
<Daifan> Llillilli?
<Llillilli> Hey.
<Daifan> Can I talk to you about something?
<Llillilli> Sure.
<Llillilli> Something wrong?
* Daifan has a look around to gauage how likely we are to be overheard, and shrug
<Daifan> Mmmm... I'm not sure
<Daifan> I went to talk to Liwhis and Silloeth, about the ceremony the other day
<Daifan> it was a strange conversation, or at least parts of it
* Llillilli frowns.
<Llillilli> How?
<Daifan> I wanted to get a sense of where they think things stand, I suppose.
<Daifan> They said that Pashas, and maybe even Kaskind, are Royal land claimed by the Hith king,
<Llillilli> That's interesting
<Daifan> and that Ombans should know theor place.... surrounded and cut off from home
<Llillilli> Huh.
<Daifan> Silloeth said that for now the king is interested in peace.... but that things could change quickly.
<Llillilli> Well. They aren't wrong
<Daifan> They're not, no, but it was not a very friendly conversation
<Llillilli> This place is strange
<Llillilli> Parts of it seem very special, but...
<Llillilli> I don't know.
<Daifan> I can't read Hith that well, but they were saying things that had meaning that went over my head, for their own benefit
<Daifan> Smug, maybe. They asked how the repairs were going, also, at the end of all of this :|
<Llillilli> I wonder about their relationship with Sulise because... I know a number of solars are... not in favor of accepting the huwhi.
* Daifan nods
* Ghegis is now known as Azazu
<Llillilli> I was attacked. My friends' home was vandalized because of their association with me.
* Azazu is now known as Ghegis
<Daifan> Maybe they think they aere diffwerent because of the Nemotam
<Llillilli> The king does not denounce these activities
<Daifan> I'm sorry to hear that
<Llillilli> Maybe so. They have never had to hear themsaelves called hairy windbags, or abominations.
<Llillilli> For people like Liwhis to be fostered at court, I have been wondering... what shields him, them, from this?
<Daifan> Maybe... maybe not. I can't imagine what it will be like for the girl who is going. I had hoped that maybe someopne who had recently gone through this experience might be more sympathetic... but no >.>
<Daifan> well
<Llillilli> What did they say about her?
<Daifan> he said that he would be willing to talk to you more about it
<Llillilli> Well it will be harder for them to be rude to me without me knowing at least.
<Daifan> just that they didn't know her well. Liwhis said she'd just been a kid when he left, and that nothing can really prepare you for the court anyway.
<Daifan> I think for him it was always seen as an honour
<Daifan> Oh I knew they were being rude >.>
<Daifan> I just couldn't grasp all the fine details :p
<Llillilli> Yeah.
* Llillilli sighs.
<Daifan> I also wonder.... if they might have had a role in the damage to the boat, but I don't have anything to substantiate that
<Daifan> Not that they did it, necwesssarily
<Daifan> but it is a message about...vulnerability
<Llillilli> It could well have been.
* Daifan nods
<Llillilli> It does make more sense that way.
<Daifan> okay - I just wanted to see if any of this made sense to someone who kows anything more about hith and hith kindred than me... though I know your situation is different than whatever is going on here
<Llillilli> Yes... things here are unlike anything I have experience with.
<Daifan> well I'm glad I'm not alone in that.
<Llillilli> I wonder what I would be like if I had grown up here.
<Daifan> Hard to say
<Daifan> do you think we shoudl say anything about this in our report? I don't know if it is just two people talking shit or if there is a chance that the sentinels building out here might damage relationships with the hith
<Llillilli> Maybe.
<Llillilli> I'm no diplomat.
<Daifan> I'm sure they probably woud;nt bother, but it might be worth advising that they... ask first?
* Llillilli snorts.
<Daifan> hmm.
<Llillilli> Obviously
<Llillilli> Yeah. If the king does consider Pashas his, then... It might be a very big deal for them to build something here without asking him.
<Llillilli> WHen I say that out loud well... I think we ought to, yes
<Daifan> okay
<Llillilli> I think there's no way to damage relations with Sulise by asking, even if those two were just blowhards
<Llillilli> The other way round though...
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I'll talk to Junan then - he's probably the one who will actually write it
<Daifan> Thanks :)
<Daifan> I hope people here have been more welcoming to you, at least
<Llillilli> I haven't really had the chance to meet many yet.
<Llillilli> Other than that first day. She was nice.
<Daifan> yes, she was! Much more so than her son >.>
<Llillilli> Sorry to hear that. :/
* Llillilli looks away guiltily
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> I'm used to it
<Daifan> it's not upsetting, just annoying.
<Daifan> People here are different at least.
<Daifan> many of them have been very polite
<Llillilli> Good.
<Daifan> don't worry about me, anyway
* Daifan smiles
<Llillilli> Why not?
<Daifan> I came all the way through chroradan to Kaskind.... I can handle a few unfriendly locals
<Llillilli> Oh... I guess so.
<Daifan> I'm sure you have plenty of other things to capture your attention while you're here, too
* Ghegis is now known as Ziftu
<Llillilli> Too many
<Daifan> well, I hope at least some of them are enjoyable!
<Llillilli> I did like the Nemmotam.... and it was nice to see WHellae.
<Daifan> yes, she was nice
<Daifan> I wasn't sure if she really liked me, but I'm glad you got to see your friend
<Llillilli> I had hoped you might... talk more
<Daifan> oh?
<Llillilli> But Whellae is not used to new people I guess, being social... She's kind of like me, that way
<Daifan> ahh, well maybe that's all, then. Some people just take some time to warm up
<Daifan> maybe if we ever meet up again it will go more smoothly
<Daifan> :)
<Llillilli> Yeah, maybe...
<Daifan> although I cn't imagine I'lln be back this way much :x
<Daifan> does she ever come to Kaskind?
<Llillilli> Sometimes... not very often though.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well, maybe then :)

Meanwhile, Veznara meets with Galdai about her new responsibilities


<AshnabisNarrator> Veznara, it's been quite nice to not have your regular duties around the land office the past few days. With your colleagues off at the island of Ruur, it's almost like a bit of a vacation. Not that you don't miss them ... yeah, let's go with that ...
<AshnabisNarrator> But of course this has been no vacation, as you have numerous duties at the temple. The arrival of the Pinnacle from Taizi, and Dezmali taking it upon herself to house three of the most sick and starved of the corpseborn prisoners, has caused a minor disruption at the temple, though nothing too serious.
<AshnabisNarrator> Now, you have been appointed as the priestess in charge of the care of Princess Galdai Ebesnata herself - a great honour, but of course you understand that it is a serious charge and one that carries numerous responsibilities. Perhaps foremost among those is to ensure that the corpseborn prisoners under Galdai's watch are treated appropriately for their station.
<AshnabisNarrator> So, all you have to do is attend to Princess Galdai and determine how she manages her country estate, how sixty newcomers are being treated, and why and how they have come to be here, without giving Her Imperial Highness the impression - however appropriate - that you are here to spy on her.
<AshnabisNarrator> You have made the appropriate arrangements with the steward of her house and have an appointment to visit Galdai at her manor house here in Kaskind, where she resides most of the time. You've been here before but it feels different somehow now that you have an official role.
* Veznara is dressed in an upscale version of the usual Hand garb - ivory silks and simple but appropriate accessories
<AshnabisNarrator> You are escorted into a small waiting room to wait, and then a short time later, escorted into a parlor that would be more than adequate for any Imperial visitor.
* Galdai is finely dressed in a light silver-grey gown suitable for summertime, and a light shimmering veil of some impossibly expensive material, with small jewels sewn in.
* Veznara curtsies as Galdai enters
<Galdai> Greetings, Veznara of the Kezondo. You are recognized in this house.
<Veznara> I thank you, Your Imperial Highness. I trust I find you well?
<Galdai> Well enough.
* Galdai sits right away, though, you're quick to note, as if not too sure on her feet.
<Galdai> Do you prefer to be called Hand Veznara? I do know the custom, of course, to set aside the trappings of one's ifti, if not the obligations, upon taking the white gown.
<Veznara> As you please, ma'am. However, I am here today in my official capacity as one of the Hand.
<Galdai> Yes, of course. Hand Dezmali has already informed me that you are to attend to my needs exclusively from now on. I assure you that I was very pleased to hear it.
<Galdai> As you know I have great respect for the Hand and the work that you are doing here in the territory.
<Veznara> As was I, Your Imperial Highness. I am most conscious of the honour of attending upon you and your household.
<Galdai> Did you know that as a girl, I was considered as a candidate for the Hand? In those years, I studied all the old texts, the Book of the Six Kinds, the teachings of Rashe Ula, the elegies of the Nine Mourners ... that was a long time ago, of course.
<Veznara> Indeed, ma'am? I did not realize.
* Galdai nods.
<Galdai> Eventually I ended up taking a different path, the mystic's path. This was long before your birth, of course, and long before anyone dreamed that fos would be found out here. Very different times.
<Galdai> In those times the manifests were seen as nothing more than marauders, vicious things, bent on depleting what little stock of fos the Unfolding had left us. Some still think that way, can you imagine?
<Veznara> Indeed, ma'am.
<Galdai> You have studied history quite extensively, am I correct?
<Veznara> Yes, ma'am. I have always had an interest in it, and began my studies even before discovering my true calling as a Hand.
<Galdai> My library here is much smaller than that to which I have access at the palace. But if there are texts you would like to see, I will see what I can do.
<Galdai> The word of an Imperial Princess still counts for something.
<Veznara> Thank you, ma'am. I would be most grateful!
* Veznara smiles
<Galdai> Now, can I get you any refreshment?
<Veznara> Thank you, ma'am. Shall we take tea, perhaps?
<Galdai> Of course.
* Galdai rings a small bell, and an attendant comes out promptly and is instructed appropriately.
<Galdai> Now, what can I do for you today, Veznara?
<Veznara> I wished to find out how best I can discharge my new duties, ma'am.
<Veznara> Do you have a regular schedule of observances for the household?
<Galdai> At present, I have mostly been attending weekly prayers at the main temple. It will be nice to not have to deal with all of that.
<Galdai> Someone of my stature always causes a bit of a spectacle - even here in the territory, where I am not as well known or appropriately esteemed.
<Veznara> As you say, ma'am. Shall we have regular morning and evening prayers, then? Is there a chapel or other suitable area in the house where they could be held?
<Galdai> We do have a small room that is available for that purpose. If there are changes you would like made, let my staff know and it will be done.
<Veznara> Thank you, ma'am. I shall have a look later, but I'm sure it is suitably appointed already.
<Galdai> Beyond that, my granddaughter Ziftu is fourteen, beyond the age of basic religious education, but we are certainly in the market for a marriage partner. And of course you would have a role to play in any pastoral or theological matters - though of course the decision is that of my Imperial cousin and myself.
<Veznara> Of course, ma'am. I would be pleased to offer any counsel that the Lady Ziftu requires. And it will be a pleasure to see her again!
<Galdai> May I ask, will you also be serving at the country estate?
<Veznara> Of course, ma'am; wherever you require. Is there also a chapel or suitable prayer room there?
<Galdai> Hmm, I will have to have Endu set that up. Endu of the Engevaze is my steward there, just as Ghegis of the Zuslimno is here.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Very well. I will go to review that are too, when Endu has made it ready.
* Galdai nods.
<Veznara> There are other workers on your plantation as well; I expect I shall be tending to them too when the occasion permits. Is there a chapel or other suitable area for them?
<Galdai> As you know, there has been a recent influx of arrivals. This has created some logistical complications. So at present, we do not have a suitable space.
<Galdai> In time, one might be constructed.
<Galdai> It has all been rather harried, over the past few months.
<Veznara> I see - it was all rather last-minute, then?
<Galdai> I should not complain.
<Galdai> We all have our burdens to bear, but I should say that I try to bear mine lightly. When my esteemed cousin the Emperor contacted me to indicate that an entire village of corpseborn had been convicted and that he wanted me to establish them here, of course my first reaction was anger.
<Galdai> But we all serve His Majesty and his unbroken line, even I who played with him in the halls of the palace at Pivuku as a child. He did not wish to hear that it was a burden. I think in a way he imagined it to be a boon, as if running an agricultural labor camp would serve my goals.
<Veznara> Indeed, ma'am. We are all bound to serve His Imperial Majesty as he sees fit, even when it is inconvenient. However, I hope you may find solace in the thought that in this case, you do a kindness to those you house. Many may not deserve it, but I think it is nonetheless a kind deed.
<Galdai> Of course. While it is pleasant to be remembered with such a gift from one's cousin the Emperor, and of course the money is no concern, it is quite a challenge, setting up the estate for a purpose for which it was not intended.
<Galdai> I had actually been in negotiations with your colleagues in Zhumne, regarding an agreement to bear the tenure of some three dozen bubun to work the land. Now, of course, that won't happen.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> Then that is another reason to regret the circumstances. But we must do our duty, of course; to the Ancestors, and to the Emperor.
* Galdai nods.
<Galdai> That reminds me to inquire: do you expect that you will be attended by bubun during your tenure here?
<Veznara> I have not yet been assigned any on a permanent basis, so not for the present, at least.
* Galdai nods.
<Veznara> Is it a matter of concern to you, ma'am?
<Galdai> Only that I do not want bubun in contact with my workers. Bubun are people, whose vessels are sacredly entrusted to us, not something to be sullied through contact with corpseborn. I take very seriously the commitment of those who bear the bustul - I can only imagine they would not wish to see such an atrocity befall their ancestors.
<Veznara> (oooh - sm? Is she deliberately trying to give me the impression that she would never go anywhere near the CB? :D )
<AshnabisNarrator> (you can try)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 18 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (no idea)
<Veznara> Indeed, ma'am. Even though they may not have evil intent, I am afraid the death-touched cannot help exuding malign influence in spite of themselves.
<Galdai> Well, this has been very pleasant.
<Galdai> Feel free to come by any other time. And do get in touch with the staff, who will take care of your needs.
<Veznara> With your permission then, ma'am, I will ask Gheghis to let me view the room.
* Veznara rises and curtsies again, then backs toward the door where the steward is no doubt waiting

With the boat repairs complete, Sileshu reports that the culprits have been discovered and will be appropriately punished


<AshnabisNarrator> All right, at the end of the day, Huluthe reports back that the repairs to the boat are complete. There will surely be more drying out to do, but the patch is stable enough to get you home.
<AshnabisNarrator> As Sileshu promised, all costs have been borne by the community.
<AshnabisNarrator> Before you leave, you are summoned again to the lineage house by Sileshu.
<AshnabisNarrator> You return to the Heptachei lineage house where Sileshu is there, accompanied only by his aunt, the reckoner Yuta.
<Sileshu> Thank you for coming. We wanted to inform you that we have found the source of the troubles, and will deal with them appropriately.
* Yuta nods
* Daifan nods
<Jimba> Oh, thank you.
<Daifan> May I ask what you discovered?
<Yuta> It seems that it was a matter of a youthful indiscretion, brought on by the joys of the Nemmotam, which are very stressful nonetheless for those involved.
<Jimba> I see.
<Sileshu> Yes. Some youths were intoxicated and behaved foolishly, acting out of misguided anger.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 20 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (is that a sm?)
<Daifan> (yes)
<Sileshu> We will ensure that they are disciplined for their actions, but I hope you can understand that they were merely young people acting stupidly, as young people often tend to do.
<AshnabisNarrator> (cause you definitely think there's more detail they are holding back)
* Jimba nods.
<Junan> (SM here too)
<Sileshu> (you can roll for it)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Jimba> Well, we're patched and ready, and I can't say I haven't gotten myself into some mischievous revelry a time or two.
<Daifan> (do I have any sense of like... they're worried about this or anything similar?)
<Yuta> If you would like the perpetrators to be released to your justice, we do understand that the Fort may wish to claim its jurisdiction.
<Yuta> If you think that wise.
<Sileshu> (Jimba, you also think they're not telling the full story here, but are hoping you'll accept their version and drop things)
<Daifan> (Junan)
<Sileshu> (er, sorry, yes, Junan)
<Jimba> I don't think that's really necessary.
* Jimba looks to the others for their input.
* Daifan nods in agreement
<Junan> Its your boat Jimba, so its your call, really
<Jimba> I think it best we just make our way home.
<Daifan> (Is Nend here?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (probably)
<Sileshu> We appreciate your kindness in this matter, then. And we hope it will not cause further difficulties with the fort.
<Nend> As you are aware, such matters do require a report. I can't simply omit it. But ... the value of mercy in this case is well justified
* Retrieving #ashnabis modes...
* Sileshu changes topic to 'Huwhi Lewis and the Newts'
* Sileshu nods
* Daifan nods
<Sileshu> Thank you.
<Daifan> I am sure the fort will trust the lineage to handle the matter, and have other matters to occupy their attention
<Nend> I will do my best to ensure that there are no consequences on your community from this ... as long as the matter is dealt with.
<Sileshu> I give you my assurance that the perpetrators will receive appropriate punishment for their actions.
<Junan> well I guess that is that. Time to leave.
<Jimba> As I said, the boat's patched, we just lost a little time. Not a major problem.
<Jimba> Nothing to get too worked up over.
<Jimba> Thank you all again.
<Nend> Thank you and your community for their kindness.
<Sileshu> Yes. And if the Sentinels do decide to build their tower here, please let them know we will endeavour to provide them with what assistance we can.
<Junan> Oh... I don't think I'll be carrying any messages back with me, so if there was anyone in need of an Envoy, they can wait for the next one to come by.
* Sileshu nods
<Sileshu> Safe travels, then.
* Jimba nods and will leave.
* Daifan will leave as well
* Daifan gives the others a look of disatisfaction as we head out

Solos

Llillilli speaks with Liwhis and something she says seems to alarm him


* Liwhis is hanging around down by the docks, maybe checking out the local ladies, you're not sure?
* Llillilli just walks up to him.
* Liwhis is a well-muscled, tall man around twenty or so, with wavy black hair. He is dressed in a white dashi that sits uncomfortably on him.
<Liwhis> (your guess is that he has not worn human clothes regularly in some time)
<Llillilli> You are Liwhis, correct?
<Liwhis> Yes, that's right ... do I know you, sister?
<Llillilli> No.
<Llillilli> I am Llillilli.
<Llillilli> I came with the others from the mainland, which I'm sure you know
<Liwhis> Oh - the army people.
<Llillilli> Only one army person
<Liwhis> Mmm.
<Llillilli> The rest of us, we're jsut surveyors. I guess it doesn't matter.
<Liwhis> (in Hithaeli, a 'mmm' is more of a low breathy exhalation - a particular variety of sigh ...)
<Llillilli> It's all the same now.
<Liwhis> Who are your kin among the People?
<Llillilli> Shulilae and Helithae.
<Liwhis> I see.
<Llillilli> (sm, not that I have a hope in heck)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Liwhis> (he definitely seems to recognize those names and maybe, you think, is a little judgy?)
<Llillilli> You know of them.
* Llillilli narrows her eyes.
<Liwhis> I've never met them. I know who they are.
<Llillilli> What have you heard
<Liwhis> Shulilae is some sort of heretic, right?
<Llillilli> Oh, that.
* Llillilli barks a laugh.
<Llillilli> (in a sort of oh is that all way)
<Llillilli> They disagree on some things, I guess.
<Llillilli> Anyway.
<Liwhis> Yeah. Are they really building a new fort here on Ruur?
<Llillilli> We were told just a watchtower.
<Llillilli> but that's what we were told.
<Llillilli> Sometimes, they lie.
<Llillilli> Do you really think the king would move against them if they do?
<Liwhis> Maybe. It depends on which of his advisors he listens to on any day.
<Llillilli> Ah, I see.
<Llillilli> Can I ask you something. About the court.
<Liwhis> All right.
<Llillilli> WHat was it like, as a huwhi in the land of the people? Because in Kaskind, things have been tense. Shulilae's hut was vandalized because of their mentorship of huwhi. I was attacked at an age grade ceremony.
<Liwhis> Mostly fine. Sometimes a little complicated.
<Llillilli> They call the People who would mentor us deviants.
<Liwhis> There are some important people who were fostered here. They are there to support me.
<Llillilli> Do you know of a solar called Thethu?
<Liwhis> And the king himself, he was not fostered, but he visits here, and he is supportive of the huwhi, very supportive.
* Liwhis nods
<Liwhis> I know them.
<Llillilli> They were the one who attacked the ceremony.
<Llillilli> The king knows these things happen, but will not denounce them...
<Llillilli> So I am told.
<Liwhis> Fellis, the chief solar, is very powerful. And they are not very supportive. So that's complicated.
<Liwhis> But you just have to imagine that Pashas is considered to be like a part of Sulise, like a part of the kingdom.
<Llillilli> So... a colony.
<Liwhis> Yes, exactly. A colony of hith, who live among humans.
<Llillilli> And the huwhi here, are they... somehow exempt from the scorn of these solars?
<Liwhis> Not exempt. Just, maybe more protected by tradition?
<Llillilli> Ah.
<Liwhis> You know about Soesoe and Pappe?
<Llillilli> The people from the statues.
* Liwhis nods.
<Llillilli> What about them?
<Liwhis> It was like, a long time ago. Before anyone's living memory. Pappe was - maybe - the first real huwhi? The first one around here, anyway.
* Llillilli nods.
<Liwhis> And do you know Laelaesi?
<Llillilli> Yes, they performed the age grade ceremony I spoke of.
<Liwhis> They are a child of Soesoe.
* Llillilli 's eyes widen.
<Llillilli> That is... amazing.
<Liwhis> You have a lot to learn still.
<Liwhis> I'd be happy to teach you.
<Llillilli> (is he patronizing me)
<Llillilli> (I feel like he's patronizing me)
<Liwhis> (yes, and possibly also hitting on you?)
<Llillilli> I appreciate the offer but I have enough teachers.
<Llillilli> DO you know Thelef Aanilaus
<Liwhis> Of course.
<Llillilli> We're getting married.
<Liwhis> Oh ... ohhhh!
* Liwhis takes an unconscious half-step back.
<Liwhis> Please convey my good wishes to Thelef. He and my grandfather know each other well.
<Llillilli> I'll be sure to do that
<Liwhis> You have to excuse me, I have some tasks to take care of.
<Liwhis> Very nice to meet you, Llillilli.
<Llillilli> And you as well
<Llillilli> (sm)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Liwhis> (definitely you mentioning your connection to Thelef has bugged him out for some reason)
* Liwhis scoots off, pulling at his dashi as he does so.

Veznara talks with Galdai's steward Ghegis


* Veznara approaches Ghegis after being dismissed by Galdai
<Veznara> Steward Gheghis, may I see the room set aside for prayers and observances?
* Ghegis is a small, slight gray-haired man who wears a white overshirt and green knee-length robe.
<Ghegis> Yes, of course. Please follow me.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Thank you.
* Veznara follows Gheghis
* Ghegis walks with ease throughout the corridors of the manor house before taking you to a small, simply apportioned room towards the back.
<Ghegis> So you are to be serving Her Imperial Highness on religious matters henceforth?
<Veznara> Yes, I have been granted that honour.
<Ghegis> I see.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive - does he disapprove, is he wary?)
<Ghegis> (sure, roll)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
<Daifan> (try again)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Veznara> (Yay! Thanks.)
<Ghegis> (you definitely get the sense that he is wary or perhaps has more to say that he is leaving unsaid)
<Veznara> I am sure that Her Imperial Highness is well versed in such matters as it is - she is known to be most pious.
<Ghegis> Indeed. You will find, I think, that all of the standard accoutrements have been provided as needed.
<Ghegis> The Princess wished to know if you wanted more lavish materials sent from home. If so, simply let me know and we will have it done.
* Veznara peruses the area to ensure that this is indeed the case
<Veznara> (Religion roll?)
<Ghegis> (sure)
<Veznara> !1d20+11
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+11
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 26 ].
<Ghegis> (everything is pretty basic - it's clear that it was a surprise to Galdai that you would be appointed, i.e., not something she requested, but has had thrust upon her by Dezmali)
<Veznara> (So could it benefit from the addition of a few prayer books, or incense, or something? I don't want to make it more lavish, but I do want to be sure it has everything needed for proper observances etc)
<Ghegis> (it definitely seems quite plain, relative to the rest of the house)
<Ghegis> (but no, there's nothing missing, just not very ... Imperial)
<Veznara> (And we are supposed to honour the Princess' ancestors in particular, correct? I mean, all Ancestors in general, but one has a special duty to one's own?)
<Ghegis> (well your duties are not particularly to the ancestors - other than in general. That's the Voice's job. The Hand is more focused on pastoral care, charitable works, weddings, religious education, etc., etc.)
<Ghegis> (but of course all the Hand and the Voice do is in the service of the ancestors, but you know that back in Pivuku at the Imperial temples is where all the highfalutin Imperial ancestors of the Ebesnatas are found. They certainly aren't here!)
<Veznara> As you say, it meets the standards. However, perhaps it would be most pleasing to the Ancestors if a few additions could be made...
<Ghegis> How in particular can we serve your needs, Hand Veznara?
<Veznara> (And this is where I get to make stuff up? :D )
<Ghegis> (sure!)
<Veznara> I think it would be suitable to install a cabinet to hold the sacred books - perhaps over here.
* Veznara points to one of the walls.
* Ghegis nods.
<Ghegis> I see. You would like the relevant texts brought here instead of in the library.
<Veznara> The better to refer to them during prayers sessions.
<Veznara> (prayer)
* Ghegis nods.
<Ghegis> Azazu! Bring me a slate!
* Ghegis calls out to no one in particular.
<Ghegis> (A moment later, a small humanoid creature made of sticks, straw, reeds, and roots enters the chamber, bearing a slate and writing implements, and hands them to Ghegis)
* Ghegis is now known as Azazu
<Azazu> Here you are, Ghegis.
* Azazu is now known as Ghegis
<Ghegis> Thank you.
<Veznara> And a small incense burners on the altar. It should be filled and lit for about five minutes before each session - enough for the scent to propagate, but not so much that it overwhelms.
<Veznara> Ah, hello... Azazu?
<Ghegis> Azazu is my effigy. My assistant on everyday matters.
<Veznara> I see! I believe I have heard of such situations before, though I think this must be the first time I have encountered one myself.
<Ghegis> I am confident that you will find the Princess is extraordinary in many respects.
<Ghegis> Azazu, this is Hand Veznara of the Kezondo. She will be attending the mistress on matters pertaining to her role as a priestess.
* Veznara nods
* Ghegis is now known as Azazu
<Azazu> Very pleased to meet you, Hand Veznara.
<Veznara> And I am pleased to meet you too, Azazu.
<Azazu> nick Ghegis
* Azazu is now known as Ghegis
<Ghegis> That will be all for now.
<Ghegis> (Azazu scoots off)
* Ghegis makes some notes on the slate about your needs.
<Ghegis> All right, I will see that the cabinetry you want is installed. Anything else?
<Veznara> Hmmm. Not for the present, I think. Or rather, not as far as furnishings are concerned.
<Veznara> I *did* wish to consult with you about the Princess' schedule, to find out when morning and evening prayers might be planned without disrupting her routine.
<Ghegis> Hmm. Has the Princess indicated how frequently she would like to schedule these?
<Veznara> I assumed they would be daily, but I suppose we did not specify - only that they would be regular.
<Veznara> Does Her Imperial Highness have a regular schedule for such observances that she follows already?
<Ghegis> She does not. We can arrange for daily prayers. Of course with the understanding that Her Imperial Highness will indicate whether you have access on any particular day.
* Ghegis makes some notes.
* Veznara nods
<Ghegis> Is it expected that other members of the household will attend?
<Veznara> I was hoping that Lady Ziftu would, yes.
<Veznara> As for other members of the household, I would be happy to conduct services for them as well. But perhaps under separate circumstances on most occasions.
<Ghegis> Naturally.
<Veznara> As for the duration, I hope half-hour sessions will not interfere unduly with the Princess' daily activities?
<Ghegis> I am confident that that can be arranged.
* Ghegis smiles.
<Ghegis> When the Princess is available.
<Veznara> Will she be unavailable at particular times, then?
<Ghegis> Naturally.
<Veznara> I may rely on you to let me know the times when this is the case, of course?
<Ghegis> Of course.
<Ghegis> Will you also be performing services at the country estate? The Princess does not spend much time there but she does have a full household retinue.
<Veznara> Yes. I will be pleased to attend upon Her Imperial Highness wherever it is required, including the estate when need be.
<Ghegis> I see. For those matters you will need to speak to the steward of the plantation, Endu of the Engevaze.
<Veznara> Very well. Thank you for your help, Ghegis. I hope these adjustments will not be too much trouble.
<Ghegis> I will endeavour to see that your time in the service of the Princess is no difficulty to you.
<Veznara> Thank you. I am sure it will be both an honour and a joy.
<Veznara> Before I leave, I wonder whether I could call briefly upon the Lady Ziftu, to say hello.
<Ghegis> I will see if she is available and perhaps have her brought to you in this chamber?
<Veznara> Oh... if it does not trouble her. I thought I should perhaps come to where she is, or as she wishes.
<Ghegis> I will see if she is available.
<Veznara> Thank you.

Veznara meets with Galdai's granddaughter Ziftu


* Ghegis departs, and a short time later, the Lady Ziftu comes into the room.
* Veznara smiles and greets her as befits their mutual stations...
* Ziftu is fourteen, you are aware, but looks twelve at most - she's very short, with long straight black hair, not braided as in the typical Taizian style. She is wearing a simple black gown.
<Ziftu> Hand Veznara. Ghegis indicated that you wished to speak to me.
<Veznara> Lady Ziftu, how good to see you again!
<Veznara> I hope I have not interrupted anything. I simply wished to say hello. As you may know, the Temple has assigned me to tend to the pastoral care of your revered Grandmother's household.
<Ziftu> I had heard something about that. Is it typical here in Kaskind for there to be such an arrangement?
<Veznara> I expect it is unprecedented - but then, the presence of so distinguished a personage as your grandmother is also unique.
<Veznara> In Taizi it would only be fitting, however.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive - is she suspicious? Resentful? Or just curious?)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Veznara> (Cripes! :O)
<Ziftu> (well you have no idea)
<Veznara> (How about if I use Inspired to try that again?)
<Veznara> (Because that definitely won't roll a 1, right? :P )
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 18 ].
<Veznara> (Meh. Still, better.)
<Ziftu> (you think she's just curious mostly)
<Ziftu> That makes sense.
<Veznara> I hope I find you well, my lady?
<Ziftu> Very well, thank you.
<Veznara> I am glad to hear it.
<Ziftu> Has my esteemed grandmother spoken to you of me, at all?
<Veznara> Certainly. It is my hope that you will join us in daily observances. The Princess mentioned that you have already received the religious instruction suitable to your rank, of course.
* Ziftu nods.
<Ziftu> Of course. Anything else?
<Veznara> She also mentioned that I could of course offer you pastoral or spiritual advice in the case that you should wish it.
<Veznara> But perhaps you are referring to something else?
<Ziftu> I was wondering if perhaps she had discussed any plans regarding marriage?
<Veznara> Nothing specific, my lady. She did mention it in general, as you are of the appropriate age. But she did not mention any specific plans.
* Ziftu nods.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive - is this a relief to her? A worry? More curiosity? )
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Ziftu> (she seems concerned)
<Veznara> (Concerned as in, she's afraid of dying an old maid? Or concerned as in she doesn't want to be forced into a marriage?)
<Ziftu> (how would you know that?)
<Veznara> (Because Sense Motive is magic? No? Well, never mind then.)
<Veznara> I expect that must be a matter that is much in your mind these days, my lady.
<Ziftu> And Grandmother's.
<Veznara> Yes, I suppose so.
<Veznara> I was betrothed once. Before I discovered my calling as one of the Hand.
<Ziftu> How did you do that?
<Veznara> You mean, determine that I was meant to join the Hand?
<Ziftu> Yes. How did you find your calling?
<Veznara> Well... I suppose I simply grew to realize it, the more I studied the old texts and teachings.
<Veznara> I began as a student of history, not religion.
<Ziftu> I see.
<Veznara> But that led me to read works concerning the rise of the Corps, and the teachings behind it.
<Veznara> The story of Zunuga, and the Maxims she gave us.
* Ziftu nods.
<Ziftu> I look forward to having the chance to talk with you more, Hand Veznara.
<Veznara> Thank you, my lady. I look forward to it as well.
<Veznara> Thank you for receiving me today.
* Veznara curtsies briefly, then takes her leave of Lady Ziftu

Daifan and Junan converse on the boat on the way back from Pashas


* Daifan will see if thay can grab a chance to talk to Junan semi-privately once the boat is fixed and we're on our way back to kaskind from Ruur
* Junan will likely have found a corner of the boat to slink into for the trip
* Daifan will slink over as well.
<Daifan> Hey Junan
<Junan> hey there. What brings you to this sullen corner of the boat? If you have a cup there is still wine in the skin.
<Daifan> I think most of the boat is pretty sullen. I am not sure if you or Katenzhi are sulking harder ;p
<Daifan> and I don't have a cup, but this time I brought my own liquor
* Daifan will take a seat on the deck and produce a skin of something
<Junan> Eh now, I'm not sulking... i'm skirking... boats are hard work
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> you can shirk *and* sulk. I believe in you, Junan.
* Junan chuckles
<Daifan> besides, Jimba and llillilli can run this thing basically on their own.
<Junan> very true
<Junan> so something on your mind?
<Daifan> mm, sort of
<Daifan> I know you will probably be the one writing the report
<Daifan> I know you weren't happy about that meeting
<Junan> more like annoyed
<Junan> surprisingly more so than some
<Daifan> do you think we shoud have pressed things more?
<Junan> I doubt we could have gotten more than we did... but you know, show a little more concern
<Daifan> Oh I think they were very concerned.
<Junan> I know they were very concerned... but us...
* Junan shakes his head
<Junan> its over now, so why dwell
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> Mostly because we have to figure out what to tell the peopel at the fort who are going to want to build that tower, or whatever, here
<Junan> Ill just tell them what happened and what was said
<Daifan> I talked to some of the people who were in that ceremony.... they said that the Hith king considers Pashas under his protection
<Daifan> maybe they were just talking shit, but if they were, its shit they believe
<Junan> now I can mention that too
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I don't know if it is actaully likely, but I would be worried thatif things did get out of hand with the locals, it could affect things on a bigger scale thahn just what's happening here
<Daifan> They made it sound like the attitude of the hith leadership about Kaskind is more unstable than it seems
<Junan> and you think that those in the fort, those that are going to be making the decisions to invest in a watch tower, either don't know or don't care about that relationship?
<Daifan> I think they might not know about Pashas and sulise. I don't know if they'll care or not... But I have enough to deal with already
<Junan> Hey... I'm not trying load on you... just tired of the attitude some around here radiate at time that everything that Kaskind and the fort does is harmful
<Junan> as to dealing with stuff, anything I can help with?
<Daifan> wehat, you trust the choradani to run things properly?
* Daifan teases
<Junan> ha! I trust them to waste money and have to borrow it from those who know what to do with it
<Junan> I was serious about helping, if I can
<Junan> even if its just listening
<Daifan> that's kind of you.
<Daifan> But my life is very messy. I don't think you really want to have to hear about any of that.
<Junan> Life is messy at times, but it doesnt have to be all the time.
<Junan> my offer stands
* Junan takes a sip out of his wineskin
<Daifan> I don't know. Mine's always been a mess in one way or another.
<Junan> if you do decide, you know how to find me.
<Daifan> Thanks - I'll keep your offer in mind.
<Junan> How about a song instead?
<Daifan> sure, I'd take a song :)
* Junan sings a haunting Deudercian song, paced to the beating of the waves on the boat
* Daifan will sit back and sip[ from their own skin while they listen, letting their mind wander
<Junan> !roll 1d20+9
<Junan> (was just gonna see how well he did)
<Daifan> 9Oh work me is gone, sec)
<Daifan> (try again)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 28 ].
* Daifan defintely sems haunted by the end of your tune :x
* Junan voice carries with near perfect pitch with the sound of the sea
* Daifan sniffsa
<Daifan> Thanks.... I think I'm going to go lie down for a bit before we get back to town.
<Junan> sleep well
* Daifan nods. "See you later."